Please don't police my thoughts:

Options

Replies

• tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    What if the person is British, isn't a *kitten* a cigarette in England? I read all the comment's and if people are going to be hurt by a word, just change the word... You can edit your post of facebook and if you don't want to then ignore the people who complain about it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.
    If our language can create and use new words, then, we can revive and use old ones.

Except I doubt the OP was using it in a positive "gay" type matter....but hey OP...post the link and we'll be better able to judge.

Even if he meant it in a positive way, at some point he made the choice to use a controversial word when he is fully aware of it also being a disparaging term. So, he either meant the negative or for some reason uses it to create the drama so he can use the "alternate meaning" argument.

It would be like saying, "I hate *kitten*!" then, once called a homophobe, defending himself with "I meant it as a substitute for cigarettes!"
    But that's not what he SAID! You are being presumptuous.

My only presumption is that the OP is fully aware that calling something "gay" can be construed as a negative.
    He used the word properly. I'm gonna catch some ZZZzz's. Night, friends:yawn:

Did you see the actual post and listen to the commentary?

Otherwise how on earth do you know?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    This country is going into the toilet because of the bull**** political correctness

Yeah, people treating each other with respect and dignity, how dare they?!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What if the person is British, isn't a *kitten* a cigarette in England? I mean I read all the comment's and if people are hurt are you know their going to be hurt by a word, just change the word... You can edit your post of facebook and if you don't want to then ignore the people who complain about it.

Yes, but that is completely irrelevant. The OP is from CA, not England and the it would be pretty obvious they were not talking about a cigarette.

"Sorry about my cigarette commentary" doesn't quite ring true.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.
    If our language can create and use new words, then, we can revive and use old ones.

Except I doubt the OP was using it in a positive "gay" type matter....but hey OP...post the link and we'll be better able to judge.

Who gives a ****. He can say what he wants how he wants
    Actually the OP does since he made a thread about it on a public forum concerning what people think about his use of the term.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Even if he meant it in a positive way, at some point he made the choice to use a controversial word when he is fully aware of it also being a disparaging term. So, he either meant the negative or for some reason uses it to create the drama so he can use the "alternate meaning" argument.

It would be like saying, "I hate *kitten*!" then, once called a homophobe, defending himself with "I meant it as a substitute for cigarettes!"
    But that's not what he SAID! You are being presumptuous.

My only presumption is that the OP is fully aware that calling something "gay" can be construed as a negative.
    He used the word properly. I'm gonna catch some ZZZzz's. Night, friends:yawn:

And you know this for a fact how? Did he PM you the link? OP, again I ask..care to share the link so we can see where this is really coming from?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Who gives a ****. He can say what he wants how he wants. You or I may not agree with it but he CAN SAY IT!!! If you are from the USA we have that freedom if you are not from here don't read it.

To point out..it is the OP who is making a big deal of this. :flowerforyou:
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    *eyeroll*

If your in the US he can say anything and you cant do a damn thing about it, move on.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Well, at least all your social media friends know that you are capable of acting like you're ignorant of the last 30-50 years or so.

Come on. You can find something in your vocabulary that's more appropriate. English is rich and varied and redolent with synonyms. Just apologise and move on.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think posting the link would help, so we can see how you used the word, and if the gentleman that criticized you for using the word had a valid point. However when using any controversial word, be aware that it is likely to offend people, no matter how you use it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Who gives a ****. He can say what he wants how he wants. You or I may not agree with it but he CAN SAY IT!!! If you are from the USA we have that freedom if you are not from here don't read it.
    Yeah! your American, open season to be a homophobic bigot. *smh* Freedom of speech doesn't mean be a di(k.

And that's not even the point. OP started the thread complaining that he didn't mean to offend people on his video and decided to create drama surrounding the use of the word. Not to mention trying to avoid accepting responsibility for using a controversial word to describe something negatively. As Wheird said, he got called out and should just say, "Ok. I did" and move on.

As the saying goes...he...."doth protest too much, methinks"
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    When I posted it on FB, I said "sorry for the gay commentary" because I was giving all kinds of overly excited commentary about the helicopters dropping water and people hosing their rooftops. Next thing you know some actual gay person is rapping me for using the word gay. Honestly I never once thought of myself as "homosexual" when hearing my commentary about the helicopters and how badly I wanted to be a pilot of one and wearing a helmet.

You play a lot of Call of Duty, don't ya?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    meh

Political correctness =/= common courtesy

That said, context matters.

There is no context here.

That is apparently on FB.
  • whierd
    Options
    *eyeroll*

If your in the US he can say anything and you cant do a damn thing about it, move on.

The OP is the one that made the thread about it. I gave my opinion on it. I think you are a bit confused about the First Ammendment. Can he say what he wants without being arrested? For the most part, yes. Is he shielded from criticism over his word choices? No.

So really, if your only contribution is "because 'Merica!" then please, continue, I need some laughs.
  • whierd
    Options
    Well, at least all your social media friends know that you are capable of acting like you're ignorant of the last 30-50 years or so.

Come on. You can find something in your vocabulary that's more appropriate. English is rich and varied and redolent with synonyms. Just apologise and move on.

This.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Wow...anger issues much?
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Some words are better left unsaid, and if you have to explain yourself or defend yourself then that is a word you shouldn't have used.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

The government can't do a damn thing about it. Anyone can correct him, either verbally, or physically. Kindly, or less so. Just a reminder, even if someone wants to sound like some caterwauling xbox pre-teen, someone may take exception.

Reminds me of a bear mauling I once watched in San Francisco. It was hilarious. A frat bro was screaming about how he was such a gay gay lord, and that made him the gay lord of happiness. What happened next was not his idea of a gay old time, but he basically got stomped by about 5 or 6 big bears. Was hilarious because one of them was wearing skin tight running shorts and a pink midriff shirt.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    meh

Political correctness =/= common courtesy

That said, context matters.

There is no context here.

That is apparently on FB.

Well, there is a little context. The OP is from Sacramento - 'gay' is not a word used for jolly in that neck of the woods. The OP is 44 years old. Two years younger than me. We do not use that word in my generation for jolly, even in England.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Yeah! your American, open season to be a homophobic bigot. *smh* Freedom of speech doesn't mean be a di(k.

I really wish that those who quote the U.S. Constitution would read it and understand what it means. The First Amendment does not guarantee anyone protection against criticism for saying silly crap. It simply guarantees them to the right to say it without being prosecuted by the government. Their fellow citizens, however, are perfectly within their rights to verbally crucify them.

This isn't to say that I agree or disagree with the OP as I have not been provided with appropriate context and the only evidence I have is that he is making a big deal out of the situation. That, in and of itself, does raise my eyebrows though.