WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    fo8rh9f2x1ts.png
  • Machka9
    oiweoiys1066.png

Does picking snowpeas in the yard count?
    What about seeing the sunrise at 6:45 am in my suburb for the first time in a very long time?

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Pondering how to give husband and son bank account passwords and pins, but still keeping them safe. Filing cabinet can be burgled, I feel.
    Otherwise making good progress. I will try printing things out this afternoon. I haven't printed anything for a couple of years and DH reports the printer is very temperamental.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Pondering how to give husband and son bank account passwords and pins, but still keeping them safe. Filing cabinet can be burgled, I feel.
    Otherwise making good progress. I will try printing things out this afternoon. I haven't printed anything for a couple of years and DH reports the printer is very temperamental.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Strongbox

Something like this:
    https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/karbon-fire-and-water-resistant-chest-9l-sanfrwtch

However, generally speaking, I suspect that if a person breaks into your house, the person will go for tangible items like a TV or jewellery.

Passwords are usually "stolen", so to speak, by online hackers.

Chances are if you hand wrote the passwords into a casual notebook along with grocery lists, notes about your day, and so on, and if you kept the notebook tucked into a drawer, if a person broke into your house, the notebook would be left behind as something worthless.

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    (((Beth)))
    (((Machka)))
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,932 Member
    Hi all. A busy few days. Did weekly grocery shopping, and bought a new electric kettle as our old one was on its last legs. Met up with younger daughter and her dogs for a walk yesterday afternoon. Our weather has been sunny and occasionally cool, so we have been spending time outdoors gardening, walking etc.

No untoward effects from the vaccine. Elder daughter rang yesterday and is coming here with our grandsons for afternoon tea in the garden on Sunday. We can finally give the younger boy his Easter gift. Also, next Tuesday I will be 75, so I’ve loads to look forward to in the next week.

This morning I went to the local shops to get some fancies for the family. I will send some home with them but keep a few treats for ourselves. Going out for a walk now so will catch up with posts later.

(((Hugs)))

☘️ Terri
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,932 Member
    Page 49
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    We have a fireproof strongbox, you get 2 keys and if these get lost you cannot replace them. DH had one on his key ring which he lost so we have 1 now.

Kate UK ❤️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    u93588p59tzh.jpg
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    Heather I thought that I had the password issue covered. However, today, I got a notice that the gas payment did not go through because the card was no longer valid and to log on to account. Well, it is still in husband's name although the emails and bill notices go to me electronically. It is billed directly to my credit card which just changed. I tried to log on and no luck. I do not have the password. I sent a message to customer service and hope I hear back soon before getting a credit report notice. This might be an example for your husband.

Allie I sympathize. My phone is refusing to charge with any of the chargers in the house and will only charge on the USB port on the computer. The phone is old ( 3 years or so) and I don't want to have to pay for a new one, much less learn how to use it. However, I and colleague may be getting an Apple phone from work since they are more secure. However, I dread having to switch from Android. So I would have 2 phones. I wonder how getting emails works. Microsoft runs everything at work.

Rebecca Whidbey Island looks positively idyllic. On a whim, I looked up houses for sale and gasped at the prices. OMG

As I tell a friend who has a house on a Greek Island overlooking the water in a small fishing village, paradise takes work. The house is very modest and is part of a family compound. All the siblings built homes attached to each other and the entire compound is surrounded by a whitewashed stone wall topped with tiles. The family home in Athens contains apartments built story by story for each of the children - the first was a dowery house for the daughter, and then the sons added their levels. Typical in the Balkans and Greece is the southernmost Balkan country. Many women today, still bring homes to a marriage.

[bSue][/b] Evelyn Barbara Barbiecat Katla I have always wanted to have a holiday in the northwest coast and Vancouver. The snatches that I have seen (Seattle and Portland, Vancouver, Spokane) was quite enticing albeit not reflective of the true beauty of the region. I do remember having breakfast at a hotel located directly on the water in Vancouver and looking across the water to magnificent scenery. Every time I flew to Portland, I swore that I would return for pleasure. Unfortunately, my mother, who moved there late after retirement, died and I have never had a reason to visit again.

Penny The masked sun is so clever. What a perceptive youngster. Hurrah to the artist. You live in another place I wish to visit someday.

Bananas Bravo! for all the laundry and ironing. If you like, I can send you my summer cottons to iron. ;)

Everyone Stay safe and on the path to your goals.

CJ

no thanks. ironing is not my favorite! :D
  • bananasandoranges

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

What about with some kind of code.

i keep my passwords on a sheet, but in a code that I understand.

maybe you could keep the code in another place.

An IT person i know recommended using the 1st letter of each word of a song, for example.
    Snowden recommends using words, like theQueenhas2socks
  • bananasandoranges
    yes, i got my ironing and clothes put away done today! yay, after about 8 loads since the washer came on Tuesday! more than 30 minutes i think! had time left over for quick once over elsewhere: floors, kitchen, bathroom.

updated website minimally today. it was way behind. i need to update pictures which is longer, but my computer is in the shop and it's tooooo hard with the replacement machines i have (very old and tired macs and a very cheap pc.) even updating a few words took so long...
  • bananasandoranges
    i had a nice lunch of leeks, carrots and kidney beans sautéed in 1t of olive oil with very mild spices. (like cumin) Yum.
    then i had some sorbet with 100% chocolate (no sugar), and the mild sugar from the sorbet gave me the sugar blues. (quick fall in energy just after eating the little bit of sugar).

now it's nearly 4pm. I "should" go back out before 7pm curfew. it would be good to get some food shopping done: topping up on fruits and veggies and so on. maybe in a little while...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2021
    Heather. I was once confident that my spouse would make good decisions in case I was incapacitated, but she has suffered some subtle cognitive deficits as the result of post-anesthesia syndrome. By now, she should have fully recovered, but she hasn’t, and she does little things that show negligence to detail or judgment, particularly when she is tired.

I think my son would make good decisions, but I’m not absolutely sure. I think he might be unbearable for my spouse (and my medical caretakers :D) to deal with. He has been known to badger people when he is tasked with something uncomfortable. It’s a defense mechanism, but people feel browbeaten. He is quite vulnerable underneath the overbearing exterior, but that is rarely apparent, even to those that know him well, much less to strangers.

The two people who would do a good job are my stepson (my spouse’s son) and my daughter-in-law (my son’s wife). Both are practical & compassionate. Most importantly, they are respectful of me, and would respect my wishes if possible. And they would respect my spouse and my caretakers.

For now, my spouse is still the right person.

Concerning PINS and passwords, I have yet to come up with a creative way to give them to others who should have them, but it reminded me of a story about the locksmith in my little home town in Nebraska. When he set the combination on a lock of a safe for a client, he used a calculator with a paper roll and entered the three numbers then added the sum, so it just looked like a calculation. People usually kept their combination in a card file or a drawer in their desk. Fortunately, I remembered that story, and after my mom died I went looking through her desk and voila! I found the paper with the sum of 3 numbers that opened the safe where her social security card, birth certificate, deed to the house, etc. were. Whew!

Karen in Virginia

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    eeyldg8l3tbn.jpeg
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🖐️🌥️🙂
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,639 Member
    edited April 2021
    I know Heather as a brit isnt happy with the monarchy..but I am watching Prince Phillips funeral..it is very moving.. bless him he was almost 100 yrs old and married to the Queen for 73 yrs.. I think once she passes things will change
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2021
    (((Beth))): I am so sorry for the loss of you son, and for the stress of handling things. :broken_heart:

(((Machka))): Rest well. I’m happy for the results of your DH’s testing that ruled out heart attack and aortic aneurism. I hope your DH’s GP will have positive news and/or guidance. :heart:

Barbara: Thanks for your words about our grandson. We haven’t had much news yet today, but last night it sounded like it was not as scary as we initially feared. We are hoping for good news and our little guy getting sent home. :flowerforyou:

Terri: Delighted that you will be able to have afternoon tea with your daughter and grandsons. You are lucky! :bigsmile:

Barbie: I love the Gretchen Rubin Voltaire quotation, “Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.”
    Excellent and wise advice. :star:

Our old coffee pot was getting progressively less wonderful. It was difficult to see the clock and it leaked all over our counter, so we bought a new one. The new pot is an amazing improvement. The coffee is richer and more pleasant to drink. I think that is due to hotter water. We are debating what to do with the old pot. We could donate it to the thrift-store or take it to the recycle center. After cleaning up the counter where the old pot had begun leaking, I’m in favor of the recycle center. I wouldn’t want to pass the problems along to someone else.

Katla
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Making chicken with preserved lemons and olives - a Moroccan dish. I can smell saffron emanating from the IP. I sometimes cook this for guests as it's just a little bit different.

I have most passwords on my phone in code, and I have written down email, computer etc, but I don't have my bank ones written down anywhere! I rely on my memory. Of course the LPA will take care of everything if I am permanently mentally incompetent. But I think I need to record them somewhere safe.

On my paper I have written the private emails of a couple of people on this thread who can be contacted if anything happens to me. I know when people just disappear it can be frustrating and worrying.

I keep seeing my spice cupboard mess every time I open it. :o Must do something about it. I have so many ingredients.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx