WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Wow when I came to the thread last night I was 175 posts behind. I’m sorry for not responding to anyone. I just didn’t have the energy. I realized reading this many in such a short time that we have an incredible Comedic Drama going. Either movie or novel.

I had a miserable long week at work, that actually started last Sunday.
    It took 8 days most of them closer to nine hour days some as much as 11 to calculate and manually enter the YTD for 170 employees. Our old DOS system payroll register report gave us the total gross amount of earnings but if they didn’t have, for example, overtime for the pay period we needed they didn’t have any details. We printed timesheets and had to manually calculate the wage for each code and try to match it to the register. On Thursday when I went to work I had close to 75 staff that had discrepancies.
    By digging deeper into the DOS system I found all of the them but 7 and I sent them off to the company that manages our payroll to find. The errors were mostly rounding errors, I still haven’t figured out exactly how the system does the rounding, but they matched. One error was I had not transcribed the number correctly. When you’ve looked at numbers that closely for a week you can’t see them anymore. I had entered 138, the actual amount was 183. [\spoiler]
    On a brighter note my boss came in with a thank you card and a $100 gift certificate for a spa.

I am home alone for the first time since last August, we brought our Grandson for a sleepover last night and he and DH are out shopping for some specific bolts and some leather for a sword and shield DH is making for him.

For all of you that were or are teachers I need to share the drama happening around the K-6 curriculum that our current government was putting into effect in September. So far about 6 of the larger school boards have stated they will not support it or even trial it. Our Premier’s response to that was that those districts that will not trial will not be able to offer opinions on it.

This is the most laughable part of the curriculum I have seen so far.
    tomelzoyi1nd.png

Of course, the memes are also quite funny.
    agtlhot1lfl9.jpeg

This is our Premier trying to defend the changes. 42hx8q4op6qn.png

Well my alone time is over.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    I had a much longer post, but when I hit Post Reply, much of it disappeared.

For those of you that were or are teachers I think you will get a chuckle from this.
    Our current government is attempting to put a new curriculum pilot in place in September for K-6. So far, I think close to 10 schools districts have stated they will not be taking part of it as it is written very poorly.

I have shared pictures of one of the lessons to be taught, our Premier’s statement trying to defend it and of course there are tons of memes.

t590d49mvnb4.jpeg
    zj6y7qvyzsu3.png
    r084zendy8ua.png

For those that are not familiar with Canadian geography Regina is not in Alberta.

Tracey
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    PASSWORDS:
    Two years ago our BnL who has been by himself for the last 30 yrs began to show signs of dementia and had dangerous health problems that had him in the hospital for weeks and then rehab. After that we got him into assisted living as his house had been neglected to the point that we could not have him live there. was. In the meantime, we found that he had made an alphabetical list of all his accounts. That was a lifesaver as now we can pay all of his bills and manage any accounts that need tending. I have compiled a similar list of all of our passwords.

Tracey
    I am sorry that you had such a bad week at work. It was very nice that your boss got you the gift certificate and showed how much you are appreciated.

Julie
    Glad you got your washing machine!

My husband will be having his parathyroid surgery next week. He had a covid test on Friday and must quarantine until next Wednesday.
    I am hoping that when that is over we can both get the cataract surgery we need.

Carol in GA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,446 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did well, only spending $120 on groceries. I even saved some away for some macaroons from my baker lady in town here. She had posted earlier in the week that she made some chocolate macchiato macaroons, with a nice vanilla butter cream and homemade caramel center. She unfortunately said she was out of them. I said I will wait, until she makes them again. 😋💖Learning that for good quality things, I have to be patient.
    dlzs48bkxkyh.jpg
    Gone are the days of buying cheap cookies that are $2 a dozen and taste like nothing.

Today is spaghetti with cheese bread.
    Going for a long walk about town.👍
    Hugs to each and every one of ya's!
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Worked today so no formal exercise. I did get in 13,000 steps, tho. The plan for tomorrow is to do Denise Austin’s yoga DVD and then ride the recumbent bike

M – how scary for the bp to be that high. You did the right thing by going to the ER. I probably asked you this before, but what kind of majongg do you play. We use Real Mahjongg Online. If you use that, maybe we can play sometime? I bet you’re good or would be good at American Mahjongg.

This morning it was cool so I wore my coverup at work. It has pockets on the inside so that’s where I keep my phone. As the day wore on, it got warmer so I took the coverup off. I am SOOOOO not used to keeping my phone in my back pocket. So….I went to the bathroom and completely forgot that I took my coverup off. Yup, you guessed it. Into the toilet it went. It seems to still be working, but I have it sitting in rice right now. You know, one time I took the phone out of my pocket when I went to the bathroom and totally forgot to put it back in. How embarrassing!

Barbara – we use a pill shooter. I honestly don’t think she’d take a pill pocket. But we use the pill shooter for other meds like the fluoxitene, and zonisamide

Made these sugar cookies for Vince today when I got home from work

I was hoping to clean the grates for my oven, but I think it’s a bit too cool to take the hose up under the power lines where I do it.

Supposed to have mahjongg at this one gal’s house. Really, I’m not looking forward to it. I really like playing online. This way I was able to play when I was in FL. Plus...I don’t have to drive (I live the furthest away, everyone else lives a few blocks away). I think Monday (whether we do or not) we’ll be cleaning the pool filters and I’ll just leave around 6:50 so I’ll be late. Will this get the idea across? Honestly, I doubt it. But I know another one of the gals has a home in the mountains so there will probably be times when she doesn’t come into town since her grandchildren will probably want to be up there in the summer. We shall see…… I honestly can’t understand why we can’t play online and every week someone just doesn’t play so that there are the 4, not 5. Since we have 5, one person has to sit out one of the games.

Karen VA – what a clever way to have a password!

Katla – when we donate to charity, I always think “would I use it”. That’s how I determine if I should donate it or not

Michele NC

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Our paint tester pots arrived today, so we will be trying them out on the hall walls tomorrow. They are both pink, one is lighter than the other. White paintwork and refinished old pine floorboards and banister rail.
    Haven't heard back from the painter yet about the cost. ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Tracey - That looks great! Very useful thingummybob.
    I managed to make progress on my spice cupboard today by using an old wicker tray I had stashed behind the laundry basket in the bedroom. I put all the small things on it so it can be pulled out of the cupboard, when I want something, to see what I've got. The bigger packets I put in the utility room. At least it's not all in a muddle now.
    Now I just have to sort out the utility room. :s:p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Tracey as a retired teacher your post gave me a chuckle and a I am so glad I am retired!

My observation on curriculum is those who are selling it convince you it will solve all the problems you are facing with student's learning. I was taught whole word. Dick and Jane. I went through phonic, whole language, writer's work shop, reader's workshop, writer's workshop, Mondo,Math thier way, Houightin Miffilin Math, responsive classroom management while teaching. They all had their strengths and weaknesses. The most important thing I found towards learning was did the students have respect for the teacher and each other. If it was a respectful and helpful group of students that came first. Curriculum was second.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    The title came in the mail for Bette!! amorg4lzctng.jpeg
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret — My last teaching assignment was 8th grade social studies. I was a transfer from a program that was being dropped. My teaching partners helped me cope with eighth graders, US History and an economics section. Thanks to those teaching friends I survived & learned the curriculum and understood the kids.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Well had Dan over this afternoon he got out of work at 1 and he had a chat online with a couple of stars from the newer star wars saga he had to pay for a 3 minute chat. And i had 2 laptops that be wasnt happy with because of lighting so he ended up using my phone 😑
    He had to get on early so my phone wanst available to me.for an hour or so.. but he was so excited .. how do you say no..
    I did make him a nice early dinner.
    And i am.going to.see if he will pick me up from hospital either Monday night or tuesday morning.. will let him use the car anyway..
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Machka ... glad to hear the two serious possibilities you mentioned were not the cause of your husband’s high BP. Continuing to pray you quickly find an answer.

Betg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 11min 49sec, 3.07ap, 81ahr, 96mhr, 7.05mi= 721c
    Strava app = 854c
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ❤️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Supposed to have mahjongg at this one gal’s house. Really, I’m not looking forward to it. I really like playing online. This way I was able to play when I was in FL. Plus...I don’t have to drive (I live the furthest away, everyone else lives a few blocks away). I think Monday (whether we do or not) we’ll be cleaning the pool filters and I’ll just leave around 6:50 so I’ll be late. Will this get the idea across? Honestly, I doubt it. But I know another one of the gals has a home in the mountains so there will probably be times when she doesn’t come into town since her grandchildren will probably want to be up there in the summer. We shall see…… I honestly can’t understand why we can’t play online and every week someone just doesn’t play so that there are the 4, not 5. Since we have 5, one person has to sit out one of the games.

Michele NC

Why not just say that you prefer playing online?

Can the game be played both online and in person?

Could you arrange it so that you play online one week and in person the next?

Talk to them. :)

I downloaded a solitaire mahjongg app on my phone. I've only ever played a solitaire version and didn't know that people could play together until you mentioned it.

M in Oz