Will you gain weight if you eat before sleeping?

Options

Replies

• percypat
    percypat Posts: 26
    Options

Yes, she does have that superior to the one tier phd, habilitation. You get it AFTER your phd and after completed years of independant research and publications, and doctoral dissertation. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habilitation_à_diriger_des_recherches
    It's pretty confusing comparing educational levels of different countries.

Yeah, except an "habilitation" is not a degree. It is "just" an adminstrative title based on a review by a board of peers for becoming a thesis director in a country that already has most professors at tenured positions.

A physician does not need a PhD - one with an habilitation in France means that a) they teach b) have published work c) work in a teaching hospital and wish to have students. It is not a degree. I'll bet my DEA on it. And the mother of my children has an "habilitation" so I know a little about the process :wink: And I taught.

It doesn't matter if a doctor has a post doc, is an MD/PhD or took classed under me - this is a "call to authority" - what matter is if the actual information and practices of the said doctor make sense.

There is no/little evidence that in a isocalorie diet weight gain will occur based on how you time your meals. If eating late makes you eat more then yes, logically avoid it. But eating a late meal isn't, in of itself, an issue.

And as to the degree system in the US - one can get multiple doctorate degrees. With or without a post-doc position.
    [/quote]

Ok, gotcha. We don't have habilitation over here. If you're good enough to supervise, you can supervise. And yes, you're absolutely right about the relevance of the doctor's credentials, but since they were mentioned to support the credibility of the doctor's claims, I was curious. (Also, I'm a nosey parker).

Edit: sorry, messed up quoting, won't even try and fix :/
  • 1wweightloss
    Options
    Yes most definitely. This is thee worst time you could eat if you are conscious about gaining weight. Your metabolism slows down while you are asleep.

Myth or Fact: Eating before bed can make you gain weight faster than if you eat the day.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    However, I do not recommend eating while sleeping as this could present a choking hazard and you may forget to log what you ate.

HAHA! I love it!:laugh:
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Yes, she does have that superior to the one tier phd, habilitation. You get it AFTER your phd and after completed years of independant research and publications, and doctoral dissertation. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habilitation_à_diriger_des_recherches

Yeah, except an "habilitation" is not a degree. It is "just" an adminstrative title based on a review by a board of peers for becoming a thesis director in a country that already has most professors at tenured positions.

A physician does not need a PhD - one with an habilitation in France means that a) they teach b) have published work c) work in a teaching hospital and wish to have students. It is not a degree. I'll bet my DEA on it. And the mother of my children has an "habilitation" so I know a little about the process :wink: And I taught.

It doesn't matter if a doctor has a post doc, is an MD/PhD or took classed under me - this is a "call to authority" - what matter is if the actual information and practices of the said doctor make sense.

There is no/little evidence that in a isocalorie diet weight gain will occur based on how you time your meals. If eating late makes you eat more then yes, logically avoid it. But eating a late meal isn't, in of itself, an issue.

And as to the degree system in the US - one can get multiple doctorate degrees. With or without a post-doc position.

Ok, gotcha. We don't have habilitation over here. If you're good enough to supervise, you can supervise. And yes, you're absolutely right about the relevance of the doctor's credentials, but since they were mentioned to support the credibility of the doctor's claims, I was curious. (Also, I'm a nosey parker).

[/quote]

You're right, I should've used the word "degree" when talking about the post doctoral level. I'm just not sure the correct English term for it.

I don't know why the question of my doctors credentials even was in the first place. Someone decided to make fun of it because they disagree with the diet prescribed by this doctor? So they started asking this silly questions and making remarks regarding her credentials. That's so childish, and really shows the low class of those people, so I didn't even pay attention to it.

So they decided to make fun of my grammar and of my doctors education. That's pretty childish too. Considering English is my 3rd language. I doubt those one who made those jokes speak any of the foreign languages.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    So last night, within an hour, I ate this and then went to bed within 30 minutes of finishing.

1/2 lb spinach, 1/2 lb mixed veggies, 3/4 lb white potato, 24 oz (cooked weight) chicken breast, 1/2 lb cornbread w/ butter, 3 cups of fiber one chocolate w/ 1/2 cup milk, 3 cups cinnamon toast crunch w/ 1/2 cup milk, & a pint of Dreyer's Rocky Road.

Guess I must be doing it wrong, even though my health markers are great and I am losing weight at a good pace with this cut.

What you're doing wrong is using only a half cup of milk for 3 cups of cereal.

You, sir, are a monster!

BLEH! I don't find the need to drink another 1/2 cup of milk after my cereal is gone... took me a long time to get the ratio down to where there's a tea spoon of milk left after the cereal. (Disclaimer: Different cereals may return different results, but this works for Fiber One Chocolate/Honey Squares, Cheerios, & Cinnamon Toast Crunch) Increase the ratio to 3/4 cup for 5 cups of cereal.

ETA: By long time I mean like 3-4 tries.

I'm the same. I hate having a bunch of leftover milk in the bowl after the cereal is gone. Although, I never thought of testing to find the perfect ratio of cereal to milk. I usually just keep pouring more cereal until the milk is gone. :laugh:

And here I thought I was the only one who did that. This is why I can't keep cereal in the house!
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I always have nightmares if I eat right before I sleep. But that's just me.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I don't know why the question of my doctors credentials even was in the first place. Someone decided to make fun of it because they disagree with the diet prescribed by this doctor? So they started asking this silly questions and making remarks regarding her credentials. That's so childish, and really shows the low class of those people, so I didn't even pay attention to it.

So they decided to make fun of my grammar and of my doctors education. That's pretty childish too. Considering English is my 3rd language. I doubt those one who made those jokes speak any of the foreign languages.

They want to know the credentials of your doctor because she is offering advice that is WAY out of date. I'd personally like to know who your doctor is, where she practices AND more importantly when she wrote her books. She may have been super whizzy and up to date when she first qualified but has she been keeping up to date with recent developments?

From my own experience, I can't sleep on an empty stomach. Plus I don't get home from work until 7pm so i'd be screwed! I don't fancy eating on the train home, it usually smells of wee...

Evening meal (usually save 800-1000 calories for) gets eaten at 7.30/8ish then bed time is 10/10.30ish (with maybe pudding in between). I'm doing alreete.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

They want to know the credentials of your doctor because she is offering advice that is WAY out of date. I'd personally like to know who your doctor is, where she practices AND more importantly when she wrote her books. She may have been super whizzy and up to date when she first qualified but has she been keeping up to date with recent developments?

From my own experience, I can't sleep on an empty stomach. Plus I don't get home from work until 7pm so i'd be screwed! I don't fancy eating on the train home, it usually smells of wee...

Evening meal (usually save 800-1000 calories for) gets eaten at 7.30/8ish then bed time is 10/10.30ish (with maybe pudding in between). I'm doing alreete.

Most doctors don't give the same advice to everyone. Any good doctor will advise a plan based for the individual. So, calling the plan a doctor made for someone a bad plan because it wouldn't fit your life is pretty silly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Yes most definitely. This is thee worst time you could eat if you are conscious about gaining weight. Your metabolism slows down while you are asleep.

Myth or Fact: Eating before bed can make you gain weight faster than if you eat the day.
    If one is in calorie deficit, then it's a myth.

Let's say someone eats before bed, but is in calorie deficit consistently. They will lose weight. Law of thermodynamics.

Now let's say someone eats in calorie surplus in the day, but doesn't eat say 4 hours before bed.

Take those two situations and the statement above is false.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If credentials matter (which is questionable to begin with as I've seen credentialed and "educated" people make claims that have been readily established as erroneous) -- here you have it from Alan Aragon (bachelors and masters degrees in Nutrition and a very long list of accolades).

Alan: Whether fat oxidation is greater during waking or sleeping hours doesn’t matter. What matters is 24-hour fat balance, which is fat synthesis minus fat oxidation. See, those are the 2 sides to the equation. If you eat less during the day & more at night, fat oxidation will occur at a greater rate during the day. If you do the opposite, fat oxidation will occur at a greater rate through the night – & you end up at the same spot. After 24 hours, the body doesn’t know nor care which half of the day contributed to either a net loss, gain, or maintenance of fat balance. Unless you have a specific need for increased energy intake (ie, prolonged competition in a particular sport ocurring in the earlier part of the day), there’s no reason to assume that eating more during the day & less in the evening is INHERENTLY beneficial for body composition goals.

http://fitnfly.com/learn-about-food/nutrition-facts#_

Ok, and my doctor has a different opinion, and she has a post doctorate degree. If its a competition who's got better education, she'll beat your Alan's butt.

Anyway, Alan is not the last testament in this matter, there are thousands of researches done. It's the matter of personal preference which doctor to trust.

Edited to add: I'm not sure if post doctorate degree exists in the USA. It's what you get after your PhD. I think it's mostly European and Asian.

Because doctors study heavily into nutrition right?

Alan interprets research which has been repeatedly proven and could be reproduced. Your reasoning means that your doctor will know more simply based on the fact she is a doctor.

BRB asking a doctor how to repair my vehicle
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Alan interprets research which has been repeatedly proven and could be reproduced. Your reasoning means that your doctor will know more simply based on the fact she is a doctor.

exactly this. People are scared to rely on their own critical thinking skills because "they're not an X, Y, Z" We're a society of highly specialized, highly educated experts who need to consult proctologists before we wipe our *kitten* after a ****.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

You're right, I should've used the word "degree" when talking about the post doctoral level. I'm just not sure the correct English term for it.

[/quote]

Well, I make language jokes all the time - the goldmember thing is funny (There is a movie by that title) - and I speak a few languages (English is my second, German my fourth and throw in a few others) but I wasn't making fun of YOU. Typos are funny.

I think you brought in your doc's education as "proof of truth". She's just a doc and doesn't have "la science infuse".
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

exactly this. People are scared to rely on their own critical thinking skills because "they're not an X, Y, Z" We're a society of highly specialized, highly educated experts who need to consult proctologists before we wipe our *kitten* after a ****.

I might accept your answer, only if you have a post-doctorate in Sociology, Philosophy, or possibly Psychology. :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I might accept your answer, only if you have a post-doctorate in Sociology, Philosophy, or possibly Psychology. :)

You dont have a degree in Journalism. All I see is garbage writing on my screen.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Some of us, if we didn't eat after 6, would not get sufficient calories for the day. People work until 4 or 5 PM, that doesn't leave a lot of time for travel home and cooking, plus food inhalation; and if you add in taking kids to (insert activity here), or watching a game of (insert local mini league team here), taking yourself to the gym, doing homework or housework, then dinner at 7:30 or 8 is going to be a common thing. I do have snacks I eat at work, and generally get a decent lunch, but if I didn't eat my dinner I would lose out on 500-700 calories a day.

Also, have read in these forums many times that dinner at 9 PM is quite common in countries like Spain. I guess that 9 PM in Spain is like 3 PM in New York, USA though, so maybe that's why they get away with it.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I ate a 12 oz ribeye steak last night at 8, and when I checked this morning I lost a couple of pounds. Of course I didn't really lose two pounds overnight (it's just one of those daily fluctuations), but eating before sleeping had not increased my weight. I added pounds only when I'm not being disciplined enough with my calorie counting. My diary is filled with "late evening" entries, and I managed to lose weight just the same.

For the longest time I was an owl, working at night and didn't eat until midnight because I didn't sleep until 4-5 in the morning. That was actually the years when I was really thin.

Sure your metabolism slows when you sleep, but this really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things when you eat a a deficit. The BMR is calculated per day, so it doesn't matter whether you burn the calories quickly or slowly, as long as your body burns more than it takes.
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This may have been said, but let me put it this way...

I AM A HYPOTHETICAL PERSON

I can eat 2000 calories each day to maintain my weight

I can eat like this:

Breakfast 400 calories
    Lunch 500 calories
    Dinner 700 calories
    Dessert 400 calories

Or I can eat like this:

Breakfast 1000 calories
    Lunch 1000 calories

Or I can eat like this:

Breakfast 50 calories
    Snack 50 calories
    Lunch 50 calories
    Dinner 50 calories
    Cheesecake 1800 calories

Or I can eat like this:

Dinner 2000 calories

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

For "losing weight" it doesn't matter when you eat. It is calorie in vs. calorie out. I eat my last thing at 9:15 pm (usually equating to around 900 calories) EVERY NIGHT and go to bed at 10:00 pm and I've lost nearly 60 pounds.

Makes.No.Difference
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    This may have been said, but let me put it this way...

I AM A HYPOTHETICAL PERSON

I can eat 2000 calories each day to maintain my weight

I can eat like this:

Breakfast 400 calories
    Lunch 500 calories
    Dinner 700 calories
    Dessert 400 calories

Or I can eat like this:

Breakfast 1000 calories
    Lunch 1000 calories

Or I can eat like this:

Breakfast 50 calories
    Snack 50 calories
    Lunch 50 calories
    Dinner 50 calories
    Cheesecake 1800 calories

Or I can eat like this:

Dinner 2000 calories

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

For "losing weight" it doesn't matter when you eat. It is calorie in vs. calorie out. I eat my last thing at 9:15 pm (usually equating to around 900 calories) EVERY NIGHT and go to bed at 10:00 pm and I've lost nearly 60 pounds.

Makes.No.Difference
    QFT
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 300-500 calories right before bed.