Will you gain weight if you eat before sleeping?

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    You people are crazy if you don't love the milk left over from a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I haven't enjoyed it for years, but I would if I ate it!

Also, of course you can eat right before bed and still lose weight, but only if it's a pizza and ice cream bed.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052395-i-ate-pizza-and-ice-cream-bed-woke-up-less-fat?hl=ice+cream+pizza+bed
    :laugh:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Ah. See, where I come from (down under), you can only say you have a doctorate when you've done a PhD. When you start talking about post-doctorates, you're talking about fellowships and whatnot. Dentists and doctors and lawyers graduate with Bachelor degrees, so while we might call a doctor a doctor, said doctor doesn't necessarily have a doctorate.

So I'm guessing this post-doctoral degree this doctor has is in fact a PhD. Not to be sniffed at of course, but it doesn't sound quite so impressive now ...
    Nope, there's just doctoral degrees in America. Postdoctoral is a job position that you might take after you graduate and continue doing research.

But our medical doctors, lawyers, dentists, chiropractors, many clergy (DDiv) and research scientists(PhD) all have doctoral degrees.

As for me, I burn about 450 calories sleeping. I have a really slow BMR.
  • emobarbie7
    Options
    i'm about 700 under today, and its 8:45 so i'm eating my oatmeal. I dont eat heavy before bed, I like to wake up feeling a bit hungry for breakfast, but I also make sure to avoid junk food before bed, it makes me feel gross. From what I have read, it isn't going to hurt you if your still under your daily intake.
  • percypat
    percypat Posts: 26
    Options

Nope, there's just doctoral degrees in America. Postdoctoral is a job position that you might take after you graduate and continue doing research.

But our medical doctors, lawyers, dentists, chiropractors, many clergy (DDiv) and research scientists(PhD) all have doctoral degrees.

As for me, I burn about 450 calories sleeping. I have a really slow BMR.

So, just for clarification, would you say a medical doctor with a PhD has obtained a post-doctoral degree? Does the PhD then get classed as post-doctoral, when it itself is a doctorate?

(I'm not being snarky here, genuinely curious!)
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    So, by the logic of 'no eating after 6 pm' every 3rd shift worker is screwed...they will all become morbidly obese and get the diabeetus!! Oh noez!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    The phenomenon of eating late at night and weight gain has been thorougly researched by Dr. Nobody and been published by Morons incorporated.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    So, by the logic of 'no eating after 6 pm' every 3rd shift worker is screwed...they will all become morbidly obese and get the diabeetus!! Oh noez!

Pretty much. I'd call now and see if you qualify for a free motorized scooter before the pandemic lol
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the food, if it is high in sodium or have a huge serving and the person sleep for 4-5 hours only, then you might gain temporary weight from water weight. It is not the weight gain from fat though. :)

So if you are hungry, enjoy your food.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Oh what fun to peek into the magical world where if you don't eat after 6 you never ever get fat. If it was that easy no one would get fat.
  • Alegre70
    Alegre70 Posts: 13
    Options
    Great thread!!! I learned tons and laugh my goldmember off at the same time :laugh:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    based on what I have found a post doctorate is the job in research after your doctorate...or it is postdoctoral degree is a degree earned after obtaining a doctorate where the doctorate is a prerequisite necessary to pursue the degree.

Most dentists in the US and Canada have a DDS degree, which stands for doctor of dental surgery. It is a professional doctorate, but there are at least two available postdoctoral degrees including a Ph.D., which is a research doctorate.

Another example is in law. Attorneys in the U.S. graduate law school with a Juris Doctorate, or JD. There are two available postdoctoral degrees. One is the LLM, and the second is the JSD (or SJD). The SJD is the equivalent of a Ph.D.

Ah. See, where I come from (down under), you can only say you have a doctorate when you've done a PhD. When you start talking about post-doctorates, you're talking about fellowships and whatnot. Dentists and doctors and lawyers graduate with Bachelor degrees, so while we might call a doctor a doctor, said doctor doesn't necessarily have a doctorate.

So I'm guessing this post-doctoral degree this doctor has is in fact a PhD. Not to be sniffed at of course, but it doesn't sound quite so impressive now ...:
    wow! This is so random!
    In answer 2 the OP's post, eating an apple before going to bed isn't going 2 hurt! I eat after working the night shift. Sometimes I haven't eaten in hours and just need to digest something before lying down. Still able to lose weight--41 pounds ,thus far!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one has asked this yet...

Who is this "post-doctorate" doctor of yours and where is this research that you keep preaching about?

I want to know what a post-doctorate degree is. I know you can be a post-doc (ie obtain a position/job once you've completed your doctorate), and of course there is nothing stopping you from going back to study and getting a different degree after doing your PhD. But what's this post-doctorate degree? And here I was thinking I was finally going to clock university :(

based on what I have found a post doctorate is the job in research after your doctorate...or it is postdoctoral degree is a degree earned after obtaining a doctorate where the doctorate is a prerequisite necessary to pursue the degree.

Most dentists in the US and Canada have a DDS degree, which stands for doctor of dental surgery. It is a professional doctorate, but there are at least two available postdoctoral degrees including a Ph.D., which is a research doctorate.

Another example is in law. Attorneys in the U.S. graduate law school with a Juris Doctorate, or JD. There are two available postdoctoral degrees. One is the LLM, and the second is the JSD (or SJD). The SJD is the equivalent of a Ph.D.
    Maybe her doc is just down with OPP.........................yeah you know me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options

You would think, but nope, still losing. :smile:
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Just ate ice cream, going to bed now, guarantee loss when I break my fast tomorrow. Calories in < calories out.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am surprised no one has asked this yet...

Who is this "post-doctorate" doctor of yours and where is this research that you keep preaching about?

I want to know what a post-doctorate degree is. I know you can be a post-doc (ie obtain a position/job once you've completed your doctorate), and of course there is nothing stopping you from going back to study and getting a different degree after doing your PhD. But what's this post-doctorate degree? And here I was thinking I was finally going to clock university :(

I'm sorry, I meant post PhD education - post doctoral degree. As I said I'm not sure if you have habilitation in the USA. As a degree PhD is the highest level you can get in the USA?
  • myfitnesspaller
    myfitnesspaller Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    well that escalated quickly
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    well that escalated quickly

Doesn't it always?
  • percypat
    percypat Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm sorry, I meant post PhD education - post doctoral degree. As I said I'm not sure if you have habilitation in the USA. As a degree PhD is the highest level you can get in the USA?

I'm not in the USA, I'm in Australia.

In Commonwealth countries a PhD is the highest qualification possible. People can always pursue education after completing a PhD, but that only makes it post doctoral in the sense that it was done after completing their doctorate. It doesn't mean it's a higher level than a PhD. I guess what I'm interested in is whether your doctor actually has a qualification that is considered superior to a PhD (and if so, what is it?), or if their post doctoral study is post doctoral because they did it after completing their doctorate.

Sorry for harping on about it guys, but since I've made the effort to post a few times about this I jolly well want to know the answer now! For my own general knowledge. You never know when it'll come in handy.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

In Commonwealth countries a PhD is the highest qualification possible. People can always pursue education after completing a PhD, but that only makes it post doctoral in the sense that it was done after completing their doctorate. It doesn't mean it's a higher level than a PhD. I guess what I'm interested in is whether your doctor actually has a qualification that is considered superior to a PhD (and if so, what is it?), or if their post doctoral study is post doctoral because they did it after completing their doctorate.

Sorry for harping on about it guys, but since I've made the effort to post a few times about this I jolly well want to know the answer now! For my own general knowledge. You never know when it'll come in handy.

Yes, she does have that superior to the one tier phd, habilitation. You get it AFTER your phd and after completed years of independant research and publications, and doctoral dissertation. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habilitation_à_diriger_des_recherches
    It's pretty confusing comparing educational levels of different countries.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yes, she does have that superior to the one tier phd, habilitation. You get it AFTER your phd and after completed years of independant research and publications, and doctoral dissertation. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habilitation_à_diriger_des_recherches
    It's pretty confusing comparing educational levels of different countries.

Yeah, except an "habilitation" is not a degree. It is "just" an adminstrative title based on a review by a board of peers for becoming a thesis director in a country that already has most professors at tenured positions.

A physician does not need a PhD - one with an habilitation in France means that a) they teach b) have published work c) work in a teaching hospital and wish to have students. It is not a degree. I'll bet my DEA on it. And the mother of my children has an "habilitation" so I know a little about the process :wink: And I taught.

It doesn't matter if a doctor has a post doc, is an MD/PhD or took classed under me - this is a "call to authority" - what matter is if the actual information and practices of the said doctor make sense.

There is no/little evidence that in a isocalorie diet weight gain will occur based on how you time your meals. If eating late makes you eat more then yes, logically avoid it. But eating a late meal isn't, in of itself, an issue.

And as to the degree system in the US - one can get multiple doctorate degrees. With or without a post-doc position.