Larger sizes: Why is there no fashion in double digits

Options

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Two real women, not photo shopped I am on the left a UK size 18 at the time my friend was a UK size 20 I think we look pretty good in what we are wearing. Larger women can find fashionable clothes. We are not perfect and I am sure some people might think we look terrible but that's ok we had a fantastic night out and got a lot of compliments.

77846ca2-e114-49a6-aab1-1d519cbba5c4_zps21d5c323.jpg

You both look beautiful! I'd wear that black & white number with the sleeves removed.

The two of you are WAYYYY better examples of women who look uttlerly fabulous in double digit sizes than the photoshopped monstrosity of the woman in that nude colored thing and her friend. What is that supposed to be? A bathing suit? A leotard? Post modern office attire?

I do like the person's ideo of the accessory being a vacuum hose.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Getting back on track; a quote from the article which I think sums up a few of the issues well:

One place to start is to address sizing. "There is what I like to refer to as the lying, deceptive show-game of vanity sizing," Gunn said. "I'll use as an example a size 8 dress form. When I was at Parsons, we had dress forms from the 1980s and the early 1990s, and when I was there, we bought new dress forms. The difference in the waist size of the 1981 size 8 dress form and the 2001 dress form was two inches -- the 2001 being bigger. So what would have been a 12 in the 1980s is in fact an 8 today."

This fluctuation not only confuses shoppers, but also increases the stigma against larger sizes. We've become less familiar and therefore less comfortable seeing larger sizes sitting on the shelves -- sizes 12, 14, 16. Women don't want to buy themselves clothing in these sizes, and thus designers are only less likely to design clothes whose tags bear those sizes. "I think we should just be honest about these sizes and not try to pretend they are something that they're not," Gunn argued.

What pisses me off, is that vanity sizing isn't even CONSISTENT across brands. Everytime I go try something on I have to bring 3 different sizes of each item in there. Because a 10 that fits perfectly in one brand will be too small in another, and too big in a 3rd one. Fashion consumerism sucks.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm fat, AND short, so I'm pretty much screwed all around when it comes to fashion. Petite is too short, but my size is too damn long. Or I look like I'm wearing a mumu. Fashion, in general, sucks for anyone not of 'normal' size.
  • Xalanii
    Xalanii Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Let's talk about when they finally decided to make bras in DD + in colours other than white and beige.

I've been thin my whole life and cursed with these huge monstrosities, and being able to wear a fashionable bra for the first time made me so happy.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Let's talk about when they finally decided to make bras in DD + in colours other than white and beige.

I've been thin my whole live and cursed with these huge monstrosities, and being able to wear a fashionable bra for the first time made me so happy.
    AMEN....oh wait, I still can't wear what all the little girls wear for bras.....:grumble:

Thanks for bringing that up, now I haz sad face and still big boobs.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

I've been thin my whole live and cursed with these huge monstrosities, and being able to wear a fashionable bra for the first time made me so happy.

You're welcome =)

http://www.herroom.com/Freya,bras,fre001,001,23.html?gclid=CLHumaCknLkCFUqY4Aod4kAAdA&kwid=sitelinks-kwid^6dc5a83cd45e41e192416dc0e7713fbd-device^c-sitelink^Freya+Bras-campaign^[Adl]+[Non@ADL4Brand]+[Google]+[US]+@ADL4+Freya+@ADL4+(Exact)-sitelinktype^navigational

See Patsy <3
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options

You're welcome =)

http://www.herroom.com/Freya,bras,fre001,001,23.html?gclid=CLHumaCknLkCFUqY4Aod4kAAdA&amp;kwid=sitelinks-kwid^6dc5a83cd45e41e192416dc0e7713fbd-device^c-sitelink^Freya+Bras-campaign^[Adl]+[Non@ADL4Brand]+[Google]+[US]+@ADL4+Freya+@ADL4+(Exact)-sitelinktype^navigational

See Patsy <3
    I have actually bought some from here. They are nice. :drinker:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Two real women, not photo shopped I am on the left a UK size 18 at the time my friend was a UK size 20 I think we look pretty good in what we are wearing. Larger women can find fashionable clothes. We are not perfect and I am sure some people might think we look terrible but that's ok we had a fantastic night out and got a lot of compliments.

You both look beautiful! I'd wear that black & white number with the sleeves removed.

It is a fab dress but she won't let me steal it :(
  • manderson27
    Options
    PS We weren't really wearing crocs we both love our heels, just my little joke.
  • manderson27
    Options

I don't think you look bad at all. Those are cute outfits and they flatter your shapes.

Thanks and that is the point. We may not be stunning but there are sexy cute outfits out there in double digits.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    No fashion in double digits? I will never wear a single digit size. With my height and bone structure, my ideal weight lands me at a size 10. When I wore an 8, I was ill and definitely looked it.

Oh well. Call me perpetually unfashionable!
  • Xalanii
    Options
    No fashion in double digits? I will never wear a single digit size. With my height and bone structure, my ideal weight lands me at a size 10. When I wore an 8, I was ill and definitely looked it.

Really depends on what you consider a size 10.

I at the same weight wore a size 0, a size three, a size 8, and a size 14

all at the same weight mind you
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Really depends on what you consider a size 10.

I at the same weight wore a size 0, a size three, a size 8, and a size 14

all at the same weight mind you

Which goes back to the issue of vanity sizing.
  • Xalanii
    Options
    Yeah I find even pants that use the inches as a measurement not to be reliable either, I can range from 27-32.

It's honestly frustrating
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Cause nothing looks good on fat people anyway.

SO. TRUE.

Imma start walking around nekked.

I'm glad we don't live in the times of Ancient Greece. We'd be working out in the gym naked.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    http://www.fashiontofigure.com/
    http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Homepage.jsp

I always find cute and classy things here. I'm an apple figure so yes, there's still a struggle cause frankly pears are a much hotter shape, but alas, there's no excuse not to look amazing and hot while we're on our journey to loosing weight.

I had a friend who used to shop at Torrid. She used to find cute stuff. Although, if I remember right, it was a bit pricey? Not sure. But you get what you pay for!

I shop at Torrid.com for all my clothes, except for the occasional graphic tees from Walmart or Target. But, yes, Torrid is a bit pricey. The trick is to wait for their sales--which are amazing!
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I tend to shop in a few brands, so I don't get that kind of variation. Also, I'm talking about the current decade.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Generalisation is (in general? ^^) inappropriate and, in this particular case, simply not true. Best example - the pencil skirt:

f9l1ly.jpg
    Kinda side tracking but is that first photo considered a pencil skirt? I thought pencil skirts went around the hips (high waisted) and ended closer to covering the knees to get that 'tip of pencil' look. I have a skirt like the one on the left and I call it my generic ugly office skirt. This is the one I'd call pencil:
    13599033_3893.jpg

Mine and the one on the right starts around the elbows where the one on the left starts much lower.

Just trying to learn how to be a girl here :p
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Generalisation is (in general? ^^) inappropriate and, in this particular case, simply not true. Best example - the pencil skirt:

f9l1ly.jpg
    Kinda side tracking but is that first photo considered a pencil skirt? I thought pencil skirts went around the hips (high waisted) and ended closer to covering the knees to get that 'tip of pencil' look. I have a skirt like the one on the left and I call it my generic ugly office skirt. This is the one I'd call pencil:
    13599033_3893.jpg

Mine and the one on the right starts around the elbows where the one on the left starts much lower.

I have actually had this discussion several times, sad to say. A pencil skirt is pretty much any skirt that reaches below the mid-thigh that is slim fitting and narrows down the length. I'd say yours isn't quite a pencil skirt because it has the ruffle. A distinguishing feature of the pencil skirt is the narrow taper through the bottom.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

f9l1ly.jpg
    13599033_3893.jpg

I have actually had this discussion several times, sad to say. A pencil skirt is pretty much any skirt that reaches below the mid-thigh that is slim fitting and narrows down the length. I'd say yours isn't quite a pencil skirt because it has the ruffle. A distinguishing feature of the pencil skirt is the narrow taper through the bottom.

Really? Really? The person who answers this is a dude? :p

Then wtf is mine? I didn't think the ruffle mattered and everyone told me it was a pencil skirt.