Larger sizes: Why is there no fashion in double digits

Options
1234568»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cause nothing looks good on fat people anyway.

Generalisation is (in general? ^^) inappropriate and, in this particular case, simply not true. Best example - the pencil skirt:

f9l1ly.jpg
    Kinda side tracking but is that first photo considered a pencil skirt? I thought pencil skirts went around the hips (high waisted) and ended closer to covering the knees to get that 'tip of pencil' look. I have a skirt like the one on the left and I call it my generic ugly office skirt. This is the one I'd call pencil:
    13599033_3893.jpg

Mine and the one on the right starts around the elbows where the one on the left starts much lower.

Just trying to learn how to be a girl here :p

I have actually had this discussion several times, sad to say. A pencil skirt is pretty much any skirt that reaches below the mid-thigh that is slim fitting and narrows down the length. I'd say yours isn't quite a pencil skirt because it has the ruffle. A distinguishing feature of the pencil skirt is the narrow taper through the bottom.

Really? Really? The person who answers this is a dude? :p

Then wtf is mine? I didn't think the ruffle mattered and everyone told me it was a pencil skirt.

I'm not proud.

(It's a pencil skirt with a ruffle.)
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Double digits start at 10. That's 2 numbers. Who really wants to look a someone extremely tall with a lrge frame that is not overweight in a 10 ot 12. That is nothing but bones.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Double digits start at 10. That's 2 numbers. Who really wants to look a someone extremely tall with a lrge frame that is not overweight in a 10 ot 12. That is nothing but bones.
    whats extremely tall.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This!!!

Totally hideous.

plus-size-models-v-magazine-2.jpg

Now, I have to go shower. I feel dirty for feeding the troll.

Fat!? Those ladies?

tumblr_mdmbo7WPt21qbz330o2_500.gif
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    whats extremely tall.
    I would think anyone 5'10 or above would look terrible that small. I also know that is not extreme height anymore.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Personally "... there no fashion..." in any size - what looks good is clean clothes and confidence. Doesn't matter what size.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    my face when people say women who are in sizes 10> can't look good.
    tumblr_inline_ms7lgdUbmb1qz4rgp.png
  • sjanejack
    sjanejack Posts: 158
    Options
    I've been able to find clothes I like. I mean the only pants I can find such as jeans, can be kinda annoying when I have to shop for them. But my shirt size has stayed the same mostly for a while. Although you can find clothes that you like that are in your size, you just have to look harder.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    First of all, Tim Gunn is not a trained designer. His degree is in art. As far as I know, he doesn't know how to sew or make patterns. I don't know how knowledgeable he is about industry design or assembly processes.

One reason is that the bigger a woman's body the harder it is to make clothes that will fit everyone in that range because everyone carries weight differently and with an overweight or obese woman we may be talking about scores of pounds. The differential is smaller for lower-weight women.

As the article notes, petite women are also ignored.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    They're all pencil skirts. What's ugly about the black skirt? It's a basic skirt.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Really? Really? The person who answers this is a dude? :p

Then wtf is mine? I didn't think the ruffle mattered and everyone told me it was a pencil skirt.

Tulip skirt. Might be able to call it a trumpet skirt, too. Not sure if trumpet is anything that flares at the hem, or if it's only for mermaid style formal gowns.
  • slgreene86
    Options

Totally hideous.

Behold the powers of Photoshop.

Actually so is basically every image that is published, so this one being shopped is irrelevant. It's pretty absurd to contend that all women beyond a size 12 look terrible in clothes. These women, even if shopped, don't appear to shopped down to below a size 14, which is what the point of the photo. Not where it has been touched.

Women aren't this flawless at that weight. Without photo shop they would likely have visible cellulite and stretch marks.

Ummm, no. Some people are just born with fabulous skin. I have no cellulite even though I'm bigger than the women in that picture but I do have stretch marks. Why do you think they're models? Because they look good in the skin they have. If companies solely relied on Photoshop to do the work, anyone would do, so why'd they choose these models?
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options

Totally hideous.

Behold the powers of Photoshop.

Actually so is basically every image that is published, so this one being shopped is irrelevant. It's pretty absurd to contend that all women beyond a size 12 look terrible in clothes. These women, even if shopped, don't appear to shopped down to below a size 14, which is what the point of the photo. Not where it has been touched.

Women aren't this flawless at that weight. Without photo shop they would likely have visible cellulite and stretch marks.

Ummm, no. Some people are just born with fabulous skin. I have no cellulite even though I'm bigger than the women in that picture but I do have stretch marks. Why do you think they're models? Because they look good in the skin they have. If companies solely relied on Photoshop to do the work, anyone would do, so why'd they choose these models?

I don't know where to begin with this.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    whats extremely tall.
    I would think anyone 5'10 or above would look terrible that small. I also know that is not extreme height anymore.

I'm 5'10. I wear a size 4 to 6. I don't think I look too terrible.
  • aaurcatherine
    Options
    whats extremely tall.

I'm 5'10. I wear a size 4 to 6. I don't think I look too terrible.

I really admire you statement !!
    And in fact it actually depends upon our thinking, if we are thinking like everything is beautiful around us then its not like fatty don't look good in tight shirts or trousers!!
    saltyliquid.com.au