Women 200lb+, Let's Jump To It This July!!!

Options

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Height: 5'6”
    SW: 201 (7/8/21)
    CW: 201
    7/8: 201
    7/15
    7/22
    7/29
    Goal weight by July: 197
    Goal weight by 12/2021 ~ 177
    Ultimate Goal weight by 10/2022 ~ 138

Hello everyone, I am a newcomer to this group. I have been reading through many of your posts and I’m feeling so motivated after doing so. I actually feel ready to start again and after doing all the calculations I feel like this is doable for the first time. I struggle with sugar. For now I am eating low carb.
    I have been trying to lose weight for 10 years or so. I have lost and gained and lost again…vicious cycle. I have always loved exercise but stopped 7 months ago when my gym closed. I joined a new gym March 1st and my second day I had a severe break in my right wrist which required surgery. The crazy thing is it happened while I was working out with the trainer. My Dr has released me to return to the gym but I feel really nervous and unsure about going back. I want to go back but somehow I haven’t been able to make myself go. Breaking my wrist at the gym was very traumatic. If any of you have any suggestions or ideas that may be helpful please let me know. 😊

Welcome! This is such an inspiring group!

I had a similar thing happen to me -- I herniated a disc during a yoga + ballet class at Exhale studio and was in horrific pain and immediately lost feeling in my leg. It was dramatic, scary and awful. I had to literally crawl out of the class and I was so embarrassed because I somehow thought it was my own fault. I ended up having surgery and never got the feeling back in my leg, and I've lived with it ever since. It took me a very long time to let go of the anger toward the instructor for pushing us to do a move that was (in retrospect) quite unsafe. Or maybe it was just really unsafe for me. To be completely honest, I've never been able to get all the way over my fear that it could happen again in the wrong circumstances.

All I can say is that I'm much more aware of my limits, and I will never let a trainer or instructor push me if it doesn't feel right. I had to learn to speak up. I'm 50 and have a much better understanding of what is challenging vs. simply stupid. For a long time I felt like I needed to go back to that class and prove that I could do it again. I had to let go of my ego and move on -- just like I'll never go horseback riding or snowboarding again because of my physical limitations. But there are so many things I CAN do that feel good so...I'll just do those.

I don't know if that helps. All I can say is, you only have this one body. Exercise is not a punishment; it's a celebration of what your body can do. If going to the gym doesn't feel good right now and you're forcing yourself to do it because you feel like you have to get back on the horse, maybe give it more time while you try some new stuff. There may come a time when you're really excited about going, and then you can reassess. As long as you're moving, it's all good!
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! This has helped a lot. I’m so sorry to hear what happened to you. I had forgotten about the anger I feel towards the trainer. This shouldn’t have happened. She had me stepping up and doing a box step onto three of those big mats. It was a really awkward move. I lost my balance and fell backwards onto my right wrist with all of my weight. I think I may have gone into shock. I was in so much pain. I was shaking, dizzy and extremely nauseous. She told me it was her first day working as a trainer.

So I need to get over the anger as well as the anxiety of going back. I think it will be really good for me to go back. They have water aerobics which would be a great way to strengthen my wrist. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope that your health improves.

Definitely be mad at the trainer. Certainly go back but try other things until you're comfortable, or switch trainers if possible. I hate step ups for that exact reason. I let my third trainer know that I'm slow at step ups. I feel shaky and possible to lose balance during so I'll be slow doing them. He didn't do them too much after that. They're supposed to be there to support you and make sure they're doing it safely. Certainly discuss limitations and even through out no more step ups. They seem to be the trainers go tos when they need to be more creative.
  • uyister
    uyister Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @strong_and_healthy4me Sorry for the injury and the experience. I agree with the words of wisdom already posted above. Move at your own pace, listen to your body, workout at home or do the water aerobics for now if that feels more comfortable for you and when you feel ready (heart, body and mind) go back to the gym and try again.

Success!!
  • uyister
    uyister Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @girlinkaz Woo-hoo!! Congrats!!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I weigh in on Fridays.

Height: 5'11"
    Highest weight: 226.6 (May 2021)
    Current weight: 223.8 (June 30, 2021)

7/2: 223.6
    7/9: 225.6 ugh
    7/16:
    7/23:
    7/30:

Goal for July: Under 220

I'm discouraged but keeping my head up and remembering that wonderful advice from someone above, "The strength is in the getting up." I don't know what's going on and why I'm gaining when I'm staying well under calories and exercising consistently but I'm going to keep working the plan.

Goals for next week:
    * Keep logging, keep exercising
    * Double check weights of food instead of going by package serving size (I rarely do this but I'll keep it 100)
    * Keep an eye on sodium levels
    * Work on sleep habits to get a good 8 hours
    * Stay positive!
  • strong_and_healthy4me
    Options
    @sarah12277
    Thanks so much for the encouraging words and the validation that it’s ok to be mad at the trainer. 😂 I’m out on the step ups forever. I plan to do weights, some cardio classes and the water aerobics classes when I go back.

@uyister
    Thanks for your awesome advice, especially the when you feel ready (heart, body and mind) go back to the gym and try again. 😃

@sargemarcori
    Sorry to hear of your injury. Happy to hear you’re back at it and having success! I am very encouraged by your last paragraph. As far as working with a trainer…no comment. 😂😂😂
  • 57pattycake
    57pattycake Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged @wanderinglight - the fact that you are logging in foods and bravely getting on the scale is a big win. When you yoyo up it stinks but it makes the next loss even sweeter. Stay strong!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Don't get discouraged @wanderinglight - the fact that you are logging in foods and bravely getting on the scale is a big win. When you yoyo up it stinks but it makes the next loss even sweeter. Stay strong!

Thank you! That helps :)
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    This weekend is going to be highly physical for me, with a lot of moving boxes and furniture around. But I'm looking forward to it.

My 26 year old son is going to come live with me and my partners for a couple months while he saves money for an apartment closer to his new job. He's a welder, and was caught in the trap of "If everyone wants one year experience, how do you get the year of experience?" He found a job, but it's three counties away from where he's living now, and an hour and a half commute. If he stays with us, the commute is 40 minutes, which is much better.

So he's moving into the sewing/guest room, complete with his large L shaped desk and gaming computer, which means my boyfriend can't sleep in there any more. (Boyfriend has been having nightmares related to PTSD and so doesn't want to be in bed with me while that's going on.)

Today we moved the one bed and mattress that Boyfriend's been sleeping on into the office, which involved moving furniture and taking the drafting table down to the garage, and then I packed up most of the guest supplies and the decoration, and all of my sewing stuff, and got that stacked in the closet in such a way that he still has some hanging space. So Boyfriend is sleeping in his office, and tomorrow I'll sweep and dust and mop and generally clean and tidy the room that will be Eldest Son's room up. He can't move in till the new mattress arrives from Amazon, which should be next week sometime.

Of course now my bedroom is a mess because some overflowed stuff went into there, which I've got to find a place to put. If it's not one thing it's another.

Tonight I've still got a pork shoulder to pull but I think I'm just going to stuff the pulled meat into gallon bags and refrigerate it overnight rather than go through separating it into 6 ounce portions and bagging it up. I can do that tomorrow when I'm fresh.
  • jazzadesigns
    jazzadesigns Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m 53 and 5’6”.
    Starting weight: 257.8 lbs Jan 14, 2021

July Start Weight: 226.5 (6/30/21)
    July Goal Weight: 223.0
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 170

July 3: 225.6
    July 10: 224.3 (-1.3)
    July 17:
    July 24:
    July 31:

I am happy with this loss especially since I didn’t exercise much this week. I had a night that I barely slept and now that I’m older it seems to affect me for the next 2 days. So I didn’t have enough energy to exercise. Then yesterday I had a stressful eye doctor appointment that just wiped me out afterwards. I did meet my daily step challenge 4 days this week which was my goal. Hopefully this next week will be better!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I was up a pound this morning, which is no surprise given I had to take some ibuprofen for my shoulders when I got up, they were that sore and stiff. It's just fascinating to me watching the body's rhythms as I go through my day.