What irks you today?

Options

Replies

• _Dan1985
    _Dan1985 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    _Dan1985 wrote: »
    If I'm chatting to somebody on a dating app, and she keeps replying just with a one word 'lol' to everything I write, I will take it as a sign to stop contacting them.

What do they expect me to just keep talking while they say lol over and over?!

And then a couple of days later, ask me why I went quiet on them 😩
    This sounds miserable

IKR, such a waste of charm and sparkling conversation! TBH, it's probably dodging a bullet. Imagine how awkward an actual date would be.
  • TwitchyMagee
    TwitchyMagee Posts: 4,579 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    If I'm chatting to somebody on a dating app, and she keeps replying just with a one word 'lol' to everything I write, I will take it as a sign to stop contacting them.

This sounds miserable

IKR, such a waste of charm and sparkling conversation! TBH, it's probably dodging a bullet. Imagine how awkward an actual date would be.
    Yes, I agree. She might be a lovely person but probably not a good fit for someone who enjoys a lively conversation.

I have said this to people before but I guess it bears repeating: if one person always has to be the pursuer especially early on they should seriously consider if they will be happy with that for the entirety of the relationship

• cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,043 Member
    Options

This sounds miserable

Yes, I agree. She might be a lovely person but probably not a good fit for someone who enjoys a lively conversation.

I have said this to people before but I guess it bears repeating: if one person always have to be that pursuer especially early on they should seriously consider if they will be happy with that for the entirety of the relationship

Agreed with this - if they don’t match your vibe early prolly not a good match

• CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I'm on four dating apps for the visually impaired and I still can't get a date.

🤣😂 their loss😝
  • _Dan1985
    edited October 2022
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »

This sounds miserable

I have said this to people before but I guess it bears repeating: if one person always have to be that pursuer especially early on they should seriously consider if they will be happy with that for the entirety of the relationship

Yeah it's solid advice, and it's never worth chasing somebody who doesn't seem bothered.

Although my first ever serious partner was very shy and reserved, but I found it endearing, I was more outgoing and I think she found this charming in a cliched 'opposites attract' kind of way.
  • TwitchyMagee
    edited October 2022
    Options

This sounds miserable

Yeah it's solid advice, and it's never worth chasing somebody who doesn't seem bothered.

Although my first ever serious partner was very shy and reserved, but I found it endearing, I was more outgoing and I think she found this charming in a cliched 'opposites attract' kind of
    way.
    Oh yeah, that can definitely work but there needs to be some reciprocity, some give-and-take imo. Of course other people may feel differently. I’m sure there were men who would’ve liked me a lot better if I would have shut up😂 But they would be better off with someone who naturally likes to be quiet i guess
  • _Dan1985
    Options

This sounds miserable

Although my first ever serious partner was very shy and reserved, but I found it endearing, I was more outgoing and I think she found this charming in a cliched 'opposites attract' kind of
    way.
    Oh yeah, that can definitely work but there needs to be some reciprocity, some give-and-take imo. Of course other people may feel differently. I’m sure there were men who would’ve liked me a lot better if I would have shut up😂 But they would be better off with someone who naturally likes to be quiet i guess

Maybe, I think most men appreciate openness and a good laugh though. The girl when I was 18 was very shy, basically a closed book, and that was fine for me then because I was a lot different. Don't think I could date her now because as a grown-up I can appreciate somebody who knows how to talk, and bring the banter.

• honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,769 Member
    Options
    Bloody hell I just called myself a grown up.

😂
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options

This sounds miserable

way.

Maybe, I think most men appreciate openness and a good laugh though. The girl when I was 18 was very shy, basically a closed book, and that was fine for me then because I was a lot different. Don't think I could date her now because as a grown-up I can appreciate somebody who knows how to talk, and bring the banter.

Yes! Plus it’s frustrating to not really know someone which I guess you could be a debate about whether or not talk is an accurate way to get to know someone but now this is a conversation too deep for me

• avionicsman14
    avionicsman14 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Trying to find old parts to put on old airplanes! Certified old parts of course!!
  • _Dan1985
    edited October 2022
    Options

Reminds me of a time about a year ago when I was in a waiting room with my kid, and a woman had to use the restroom and she looked at her child who was maybe 5 and said, "okay, mommy will be gone for just a minute. If you need some help, ask one of these other moms."

And I was like, "holy *kitten*, she's referring to me"

:D This is just perfect. I'd like to say you'll get used to it, but I'd be lying through my teeth. I think we grow up believing our parents have their s**t together and know exactly what they're doing. You don't learn the truth until you have children of your own.
  • dblbbl88
    dblbbl88 Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Trying to find old parts to put on old airplanes! Certified old parts of course!!

What kind of plane? I have a Mustang II :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options

It's ok. You're a boy. Do you reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally grow up? :)

(Please don't report this for meanness. MFP jail terrifies me! :))
  • _Dan1985
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

🤣 No, we never really grow up. Women often wonder why they live longer than men. Meanwhile the men are wondering if they could jump over that 200ft ravine with a quad bike.

And of course I wouldn't report you, lol
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

not even dating apps but this dynamic happens to me sometimes and i feel like i’m on stage putting on a show for someone and yeah, very cringey
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options

not even dating apps but this dynamic happens to me sometimes and i feel like i’m on stage putting in a show for someone and yeah, very cringey
    What happens to me is that somebody will get me started on a subject and I think I’m just doing the back-and-forth thing and next thing I know when it’s not their turn to talk they are looking at their phone which I guess means the conversation is over? To be honest I’m not sure if it’s my poor manners or theirs

• ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options

Reminds me of a time about a year ago when I was in a waiting room with my kid, and a woman had to use the restroom and she looked at her child who was maybe 5 and said, "okay, mommy will be gone for just a minute. If you need some help, ask one of these other moms."

And I was like, "holy *kitten*, she's referring to me"

the worst is when something terrible happens as an adult an you look around for a grownup only to realize…
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

🤣 No, we never really grow up. Women often wonder why they live longer than men. Meanwhile the men are wondering if they could jump over that 200ft ravine with a quad bike.

And of course I wouldn't report you, lol

LOL I really didn't think you would. There are just some...um...sensitive people around here. :)

I'm older than dirt and haven't grown up. Tumblr has proven that over and over again.