who has kept weight off for 2 years

Options

Replies

• Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    In 2011 I lost over 60 pounds. I was close to my goal weight, by about 5 pounds. Now I have gained back about 20 pounds and I have to concentrate on losing again. 2011 was the first time I went on a diet in my life, so I think knowing that I can do it is motivation. I sure don't want to go back to the place I was at in 2010! Plus I threw out all my old clothes! :-)

so when you say kept the weight off, I guess I kept most of it off?

I'm in the same boat. Dropped off 43, then picked up 10 right now...hurts my feelings, but I can't be mad, I just have to focus. Like you, this was my first real attempt and success at losing weight, and I did it. I know what to do. I'm back focused again. I won't go back to the beginning from Sept 2012. But I have to focus or I will. It can happen to anyone...
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    55-60 Pounds (hovering 5lbs up and down) for the last five years...It's a lifestyle...If you fall back into sitting on your butt all day and eating whatever comes in site, you will gain again....

Sho right!!
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have, sort of. I lost 179 lb in 2009 and kept it off for about 3 years (+/- about 3 lb), then slowly regained about 30 lb. Lost about half my regain weight and working on the rest. I know WHY I regained (formerly a single mom who met and married an amazing man, less time running around like a chicken with my head cut off doing it all myself and more time having fun/sharing the work plus eating out= regain weight). I feel better prepared to keep this regain off now. I am still proud I kept off almost 150 lbs, though.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    This has probably already been said but I didn't have time yet to skim the whole topic.

People who gain the weight back went on a diet.

People who keep the weight off made a lifestyle change.

Just curious- what would you consider people who kept off about 85% of their excess weight?
  • sandiegocali1
    sandiegocali1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have kept 170 pounds off for over 3 years now. Still trying to lose the elusive last 10.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I weighed 200 lbs around 2007. I know I was down to 168 by 2008 (my diet was Divorce - I don't recommend this diet, it's depressing lol)

I now weigh around 165 (I challenged myseld not to weigh in for a month, so not sure.)

For the past several years I have been eating healthier and kicking up the exercising and recently started lifting.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    for those who are keeping the weight off share with us the strategies you are using.

2 words: portion control

I didn't reach my goal and then slack off. I kept up with my eating reduced portions (compared to what I used to eat) and kept up with exercise. That's it, nothing magic. You can't be on a "diet" which implies that you will go back to your old ways. Change the way you eat and stick with it forever...that is the magic formula.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Unless your have money to burn, once you start investing in smaller size clothing, you have an additional incentive to keep your weight off.

Gold advice! :)

Surely just continue being fitter and leaner than you can ever imagine. To me that mentally is the only way to go, and the more you work out the more your body "forgets" your old size.

We never lose fat cells, they just shrink, so the only way for us is to keep them shrunk using the exact method we used to get them shrunk to begin with. Not difficult once the momentum gets going (I am talking 6 months+).

This is the one thing that is always on my mind at all times, and it is what continues to drive me, almost to the point of obsession.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think in order to keep the weight off, permanent changes need to take place. The unhealthy old way of life needs to be replaced which many of the above posters are doing.

And that is what worked for me. I just passed the 2 year mark and I've managed to keep the weight off just fine. I don't eat the same s*** I used to eat as a kid period. These studies and researchers are full of crap imo.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Kept mine off over 2 years. Eat healthy and have always had Sundays as high calorie whatever want days! I Lift weights and a tad of cardio, stay active and maintained fine. I find the key for me as I age, is weightlifting and eating a good balance of foods. Never starving or depriving. It truly is the way you choose to eat and live that will decide your gain or loss ,maintain.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I have kept mine off for about 3 years now, because I never went back to my old eating habits. Also exercise pretty much every day .
  • McClure0728
    McClure0728 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds, and I've kept it off for 5 years. You have to have rest, or you'll get burnt out. I go all out Monday-Friday, but the weekend is the time to relax. If I want a piece of cake on the weekend, I go for it; if I want a piece of cake on a Monday, well, I'm just going to have to wait. I don't know that this method will work for everyone, but it really helps me find balance and still enjoy life.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance mode since January of 2009. Soo coming up on 5 years here soon.

The thing is I met my goal weight the same week I found out I was pregnant with my second son. Then I went through a nasty divorce, separating from my husband when I was 6 months pregnant. Talk about a test of willpower!! But I was successful. And because I had lost the 135 pounds the right way....slow, healthy and educated...I was called one of the healthiest pregnant women people had seen.

Now maintenance for me has been a bit of trial and error. I met my goal and then ended up getting too thin for awhile there after I had my son. Stress. Unreal how it used to make me eat and now I can't eat. Something in my brain changed. So I have actually worked to put some meat ON as I had lost every curve I had. And as my work schedule changes, I need to adjust my workouts, etc. But I do believe that weight-loss and maintenance is 70% food and 30% exercise. Exercise is very important and I love cardio but it isn't an excuse to eat whatever you want. There is a balance there even in maintenance. And all of our bodies are different and we need to figure out what balance works for us.

I think the goal should be finding a "happy weight" and where you feel good in your skin and confident and healthy and have energy. And work to maintain THAT.

It CAN be done though. And I am convinced the diet industry is designed to keep us fat. They don't want us succeeding for long because then they wouldn't get their money. So doing the anti-diet. Doing it the right way. No quick fixes. Just get back to basics, old school..and eat healthy, eat LESS, move your body, learn to love the feeling of a good sweat and allow yourself some treats. Make the norm healthier and the "here and there" the fun stuff. :)
  • asaunders0923
    Options
    I'm at about 9 years of keeping off 70 lbs. that I lost after having my 2nd son. I had gained 30 lbs. after I got married and quit smoking and then gained another 40 when I was pregnant with my son. So, at 5'1" I weighed 183 lbs! After 9 months of learning how to eat healthy... mainly low carb...I lost 70 lbs. I have kept it off by keeping up my good eating habits and working out. Since then, I have become gluten intolerent, so eating low carb is still how I eat, but I eat really healthy carbs and lean meats. I workout 6 days a week. When I was first losing I did Tae Bo (it was really big then) and for the last 3 years I have done a hybrid of Insanity and Insanity Asylum. I feel amazing! I am on a mission to build muscle at this point. I still have left over jiggles that have never fully went away, so lifting and strength training are my goals!
    I taught weight loss and nutrition for a couple of years as well, which really helped me to learn about other people's struggles with keeping the weight off.... IT'S HARD! I have never went above 116 and I stay about 113-114 generally.

Maintenance can be difficult, but it's so rewarding!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work for everyone who has managed to keep it off!!!

AMAZING!!
  • justmary4cm
    Options
    I lost 54 pounds in 2007 and have maintained since then. It has been easy at times and hard at times. I used NutriSystems to lose the weight and then to maintain for the next 3 years or so. The past 3 years have been on my own with some ups and downs but as long as you stay on top of the numbers, and keep focused on the hard work it took to get to your goals, maintaining is the only option!

My motivators are: I do Zumba and it keeps me honest - everything jiggles! LOL
    My granddaughter looks at my old pictures and says "who is that?"
    My husband loves my slim body and I want to keep him happy! 37 years of wedded bliss!
    I love to go shopping for size 6 clothes, not size 16 clothes!
    My doctor told me I had the heartrate of an athlete.
    I love hiking, biking, snowshoeing and fitting into tight booths at a restaurant - LOL
    People who knew me before my weight loss tell me I look better now than I did in my 30s

It has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Lost over 65 lbs in 2009. Been at 118 lbs ever since :smile:

You're my hero!

:blushing:
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Though I have gain back about 10 pounds of the 35 pounds I lost I still consider myself a maintainer. My body with the weight I had dropped to and is much happier now. Also I have started lifting. I am still in the same size clothes. It is a lifestyle. Eat healthy, exercise, stay active.
  • dolphie77
    Options
    I have. I lost approx. 90 lbs and have kept it off now for about 3 yrs. You teach yourself new and healthy habits and you stick with them. Determined NOT to ever go back to the way I was before and so I kept my weight maintained.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The common theme here is to NOT go back to your old habits. It is a "lifestyle change" . Keep eating well AND exercising!