WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Ive picked up Homer i did stop at the garage and as i go to start the car up praise be the check engine light wasnt on.. im chalking it up to bad gas..it seems to be running fine right now..
    Did stop and saw my daughter she was just getting to work,she is looking so cute,looks like she swallowed a basketball lol,she said Kyle felt the little guy kick yesterday ..
    Kyle isnt happy with second hand stuff,im guessing he was brought up on that as was I and my children and he doesnt want his kids being brought up that way..so I told Tracy just keep stuff on the QT and dont tell him everything..they dont make enough money to have brand new everything and with a baby they outgrow stuff so quick its pointless so I told her just keep it under her hat..
    Going to get garbage together today and clean out fridge and get pancake mixes together.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    ANNIE what book are you studying in meditation group?
    Do you have meditation online? Or just studying (buddhism or meditation texts?)
    Maybe you can find a book/text that straddles 2 areas, or focusses on your interest so you can "reign it in"?
    There are lots of non-religious (non "buddhist") approaches to buddhist practice (meditation) or philosophy/texts.
    Even though it's become a or many religions, (totally different practices and beliefs in many different places in world).
    If you are christian and the religious aspect of buddhism is disturbing there are surely some books that straddle between christian and buddhism, and other books/texts that are about "secular buddhism" (a big area!)

What do you share about?
    When I participated in sharing groups in meditation group (about 20+ years ago!), there was either
    -general sharing about what's going on - sometimes all would share and sometimes less, and we would respond in relation to the issue(s) that arise. (some I remember are: parent care, disturbed about killing insects/animals and people being killed in wars; people's having trouble dealing with their own moods; grieving..concentration, kindness..and many more.

- short text or something and beginning of sharing almost always on personal level about personal life choices, issues, starting in connection with some reading...

Part of it was just connecting with others!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Was just about to get on recumbent and hit my foot moving the thing a bit, now it's throbbing. nothing serious. put iced fruit on it( not ice in fridge) for 20 min and then I'm going onto recumbant.

did about 13 girly pushups today. 7 and 6 I think. not a lot but last week it was 3 and 3. push ups are so hard right now. :D
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Flea – I am happy that you are now home, and that you’ve had some encouraging news from your oncologist. :star:

Ginny – I watch the weather channel and am glad to be far away from the Mississippi River. Our son has an old friend who lives in New Orleans. I hope they and their neighbors are safe :heart:

Barbie – Congrats on your computer being fixed!!! :bigsmile:

Michele – We have a drawer below our oven & use it for a broiler pan, and lids for various pots and pans. :flowerforyou:

Heather – Who will recognize your parents after all these years? Does that matter? Have you consulted with your brother about it? The two of you are the most important in my mind. :heart: I like the view of the garden from your lovely table. :star:

Barbara & Heather – DH has connected to the Mt. Hood Keeshond Club. We will contact them when we get back from our trip to Virginia. Hopefully they will know who has puppies available. :bigsmile:

Machka – Happy first day of spring!!! Daffodils are perfect. :flowerforyou:

I have two things on my agenda for this morning and am not sure which will be first. Yoga is always a good morning, but getting the car in for a tune up is also important.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    ✌️
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Julie We were reading Why Bhuddism is True by Robert Wright, which is secular Bhuddism, in my humble opinion. We have one guy in the group who takes the conversation off on a tangent, so progress through the book got very slow. This week they gave up on the book to do sharing, where everyone brings in a random short reading to discuss. It's not defined any more than that.

We meet on zoom, which works pretty well for meditating together. We usually do a thirty minute sit, but lately we've done a chant, too. The chant is another thing I'm not too fond of.

I'm not Christian, but I have reservations when things get metaphysical. I'm in it for the meditation and the benefits to my brain. I need all the help I can get 😊.

I'm also reading One Dharma by Joseph Goldstein that looks at what beliefs are common to all kinds of Bhuddism. The more I read, the less I feel like a genuine Bhuddist.

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    [

Here's a little "joke"/"humorous story" about assuming what another person is thinking. I read it several years ago and got a laugh out of it, but it has a ring of truth.

THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN
    https://www.et.byu.edu/~tom/jokes/Differ_men_women.html

I've been told I'm unexpectedly blunt. I'm often quiet when I'm around people, but when I want to say something, I just say it, right to the point with none of the social niceties. I've often wondered if I'm somewhere on the autistic spectrum which might account for that. But I don't like guessing what people might be thinking and I'm not one to sit and wait for someone to tell me, so I'll ask right out.

I have had to learn some of those social niceties along the way because some people seem to like them.

But with regard to assuming what people are thinking ...

In most situations, if I'm interested in the conversation, I pay attention and chances are I'll blurt out lots of questions and/or comments (to the point, apparently, that people feel a bit interrogated, so they tell me, and I've been asked why I question everything they say. It's because I'm interested!!)

If I'm not particularly interested, I go quiet. I'll have one small part of my brain on the conversation so I know when to say, "mmm-hmm" but the rest of my brain will be on my Things To Do list. A few times I have actually had to ask the person to repeat the last couple sentences because my mind is so much on my Things To Do list, I've missed an "mmm-hmm" or two and the conversation has stopped! Oops!

I suppose people could make all sorts of assumptions about what I'm thinking in those situations. I wonder if they'd guess that I'm thinking I need to send an email with instructions about how to access a shared drive to someone, I need to find out if I can take over management of an inactive Facebook page, and I need to check a couple cycling routes and then put some promotional words around them.

M in Oz

I am the total opposite of you and that is a huge problem- I never speak up and so I just put up with a lot that I shouldn't. It took me almost 20 yrs to confront dh on a major issue. I tried before that by writing letters and leaving them for him- he threw them away and never mentioned it. Finally I told him we really needed to talk. I got answers but sadly, the issue has not changed.

I tell people, I am like Rex, from Toy Story. I don't like confrontation. So I get walked on all the time because I don't speak up for myself. I keep everything inside and just get mad and little things start to irritate me even more.
  • dlfk202000
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Julie-Thanks for your insight- I do know it will be good for JoAnn to be there and if she did the tiny house like she had planned, I think that would work better- would give each of them their own space when needed. Mom has changed her mind a few times- before she wanted to be alone, maybe now that it has been 8 months she is rethinking that but the bigger part is mom's loving heart- she knows JoAnn has to move when the property she is living on sells and she wants to help her out. Mom is a caring person- will do things for everyone else and not think about herself. Even though JoAnn has money, mom isnt even planning on charging her anything to stay there. Mom is on a fixed income but still does for others- like the garden- she paid for all the seed($300 I think is what she spent this spring)
    , and everything and now when the veggies are in, all the neighbors can just come and pick things for free.
    My friend that I used to walk with has a pop up trailer they are thinking about selling- I am getting information on that and will talk to mom about moving it up there when JoAnn moves in.
    Just trying to think things out. I am sure mom hasn't even given it a thought about where I , or my sisters, or any other guests will sleep when they visit.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Michele-sorry to hear PJ got positive test. I know they are saying kids don’t get it as bad but I seem to worry about my grandkids more than all of the adults.

Beth- the flower gift is precious.

Covid
    Got in for testing this morning. They did throat swab rather than nasal (I think either one is fairly nasty but necessary). Should have results tomorrow. Have to isolate until I receive results. If positive quarantine for a total of 10 days starting from first day of symptoms and have to be fever free for 24 hours with improving symptoms. If I do have Covid I (so far) have very mild symptoms (good result from vaccine maybe?). Just keep feeling like on verge of sinus infections, some aches and headache. Spent today being lazy-keeping an eye on emails but not working today. Will actually work from home tomorrow unless I get sick. This a a good learning experience of how easily all of this can spread

Thankfully a bit cooler here today but still muggy. I am hoping a temporary fix for ac is put in this evening to help cut down on humidity.

Ginny in Ohio
  • Katla49
    Options
    We took my car to a diesel mechanic shop. I think they will finish later today. They will call when it is ready. <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Julie, Beth and Katla - I do like a nice table setting. :D I've got a bit of a thing about paper napkins, quite a collection! I bought those ones for the Persian meal we had with DH's sister.
    I think it makes people feel welcome. <3

The tea went well,but they brought the dog (puppy) which was recovering from having spent a week in kennels and proceeded to bark and be a pain. DDIL took her out for a walk, which meant I mainly saw her at the end and she only managed one scone before she went out. My son managed three! I found out that I and DH make our scones the Cornish way, (jam first, clotted cream on top), while son prefers the Devon way, ( cream first then jam). :noway: My way you get more cream. :D
    Kids had a lovely time on holiday and Edie did get to swim once her nose healed a bit. Wonderful videos of them diving with somersaults! They recreated for me a dance they had been doing every night at the kids disco with music from the phone. Max said, while enthusiastically taking part, "I'm doing this under protest, I've been forced to." :laugh:

Good day. DH came back around 7 pm and enjoyed his feta pie and scone. <3

We have sooooo many photos from the holiday! 35 photos and videos.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Options
    :star:
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    I have really been slacking on tracking my foods- have been eating too much for sure. Just saw pictures from the family reunion- I was SHOCKED and not in a good way.
    Back to tracking starting today and will push to do more at Zumba and will be doing picnics at the park with my daycare girl on the way home from school so we can play around(get more exercise for both of us)
    Have a class reunion in 26 days- not going to do a lot of damage control in just a month but have to start somewhere.
    Back tracking so this week will be a bit rough- trying to stay within the 1000-12000 cals a day again.(even on Zumba days)

Debie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Another 80 miles down but down to 3rd place.

Zwift home spin bike- 3hrs 53min 55sec,641elev, 116ahr, 154mhr, 20.83amph, 81.2mi= 1537c
    Zwift app = 1895c

kktaaonm5zje.png
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Julie We were reading Why Bhuddism is True by Robert Wright, which is secular Bhuddism, in my humble opinion. We have one guy in the group who takes the conversation off on a tangent, so progress through the book got very slow. This week they gave up on the book to do sharing, where everyone brings in a random short reading to discuss. It's not defined any more than that.

We meet on zoom, which works pretty well for meditating together. We usually do a thirty minute sit, but lately we've done a chant, too. The chant is another thing I'm not too fond of.

I'm not Christian, but I have reservations when things get metaphysical. I'm in it for the meditation and the benefits to my brain. I need all the help I can get 😊.

I'm also reading One Dharma by Joseph Goldstein that looks at what beliefs are common to all kinds of Bhuddism. The more I read, the less I feel like a genuine Bhuddist.

Annie in Delaware

I think my favourite writer on this subject is Stephen Batchelor. Secular and recently has published in Yale university press.

I think he's an excellent writer. Lovely prose, mixing personal experience and opinions with thoughtful updated translations of buddhist texts - in a non-dogmatic way.

I wonder what Goldstein says is common to all buddhist approaches. BELIEF in reincarnation etc etc are not part of all buddhist belief systems. I have not read his writing.

I think there are buddhist approaches that are not at all metaphysical. That's my take anyway.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    [

Here's a little "joke"/"humorous story" about assuming what another person is thinking. I read it several years ago and got a laugh out of it, but it has a ring of truth.

THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN
    https://www.et.byu.edu/~tom/jokes/Differ_men_women.html

I've been told I'm unexpectedly blunt. I'm often quiet when I'm around people, but when I want to say something, I just say it, right to the point with none of the social niceties. I've often wondered if I'm somewhere on the autistic spectrum which might account for that. But I don't like guessing what people might be thinking and I'm not one to sit and wait for someone to tell me, so I'll ask right out.

I have had to learn some of those social niceties along the way because some people seem to like them.

But with regard to assuming what people are thinking ...

In most situations, if I'm interested in the conversation, I pay attention and chances are I'll blurt out lots of questions and/or comments (to the point, apparently, that people feel a bit interrogated, so they tell me, and I've been asked why I question everything they say. It's because I'm interested!!)

If I'm not particularly interested, I go quiet. I'll have one small part of my brain on the conversation so I know when to say, "mmm-hmm" but the rest of my brain will be on my Things To Do list. A few times I have actually had to ask the person to repeat the last couple sentences because my mind is so much on my Things To Do list, I've missed an "mmm-hmm" or two and the conversation has stopped! Oops!

I suppose people could make all sorts of assumptions about what I'm thinking in those situations. I wonder if they'd guess that I'm thinking I need to send an email with instructions about how to access a shared drive to someone, I need to find out if I can take over management of an inactive Facebook page, and I need to check a couple cycling routes and then put some promotional words around them.

M in Oz

I am the total opposite of you and that is a huge problem- I never speak up and so I just put up with a lot that I shouldn't. It took me almost 20 yrs to confront dh on a major issue. I tried before that by writing letters and leaving them for him- he threw them away and never mentioned it. Finally I told him we really needed to talk. I got answers but sadly, the issue has not changed.

I tell people, I am like Rex, from Toy Story. I don't like confrontation. So I get walked on all the time because I don't speak up for myself. I keep everything inside and just get mad and little things start to irritate me even more.

You don't sound happy with this. In French they say, "Il n'est jamais trop hard pour bien faire." "It is never too late, though, to do what is right." (I don't know if it's such a common English expression as it is in French.) I am finding with age I prefer taking risks and saying what's on my mind (in a gentle way).