WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
vu6mt4qxr1cw.jpg

:) The journey to weight loss, health, and fitness has worked well for me when I am in the company of encouraging and supportive friends. That's what this thread is all about.

:) The name is "Women Ages 50+" but all women are welcome. Please join in the conversation.
Be sure to bookmark this page so you can find it again.

:) It is helpful to all if you sign your posts with a name or nickname and a location, specific or general. This helps us know each other better.

:) I look forward to sharing August with you.

My theme for 2021 is "lighten up"--this pertains to my weight and to my approach to life.

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Barbie - Thanks for leading us into August!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,723 Member
    Barbie - I can’t believe we’re into August already! Time goes so fast.

Thanks for a new month.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Thanks again Barbie !!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    Kjlamore- did you get ,my link ok?
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    ❤️August❤️
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,069 Member
    ❤️❤️👍🏻👍🏻❤️❤️
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Thank you Barbie!
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,429 Member
    Thank you Barbie, for starting us off right, for August.
    I have my bus ticket for going to sisters on 12th. Staying until 22nd, then stay at son's until the 25 or 26th. Haven't gotten that confirmed with him yet. I'm excited to see my sister. Our last visit was 2019, when I took the train to see her in Montana. Now she's in Oregon.
    Today ate cereal, my bit of cabbage and potato soup, and son brought sushi home. Him and I ate California rolls, and crab with a sliver of cream cheese inside then tempura fried on the outside. It was delightful! He's a good kid. I made beef noodle hamburger helper for Lee. Today its cold, gray and I have been reading most of the day.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    Pip – Lexi is on a special diet for kidney. What food will you be giving Yogi?

Rebecca – I don’t know why, but you mentioning sushi reminded me that I need to go to WalMart tomorrow to get things for gezpacho that I want to make.

Pool party was nice. I guess we had about 20 people here. I didn’t think that too bad since this was really the first “formal” social that Newcomers has had. I do hope for Cathy’s sake (the president) that this variant turns out to be not so bad. One gal left her bag here so she’ll be coming by tomorrow to get it.

She was talking to me about having Rummikub in people’s homes. Really, when we used to do that (pre-pandemic) it was not easy at all to get people to have it in their homes. To be honest, I don’t feel that she should do it one month, me the next, her the next, etc. That just isn’t fair. I’m really not hopeful that people will do this now if they didn’t before. It looks like there are a lot of activity chair openings, and no one is stepping forward. I just don’t know. I guess I should give it a try, but I really don’t hold out a lot of hope. I guess I'm afraid that she is going to do it all the time in her house, and I don't think that's fair.

Michele NC
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,350 Member
    Sharon - good to see you, as always - and what a strange direction that all took with your son. You have to wonder what the motivation was to sever all ties, but it sounds as if you will never know what the trigger was for that action. So strange.

Happy August to all - as I said yesterday, I was able to keep two of my three July goals: Be lighter (three pounds), stick to a budget (did) and be healthier (kind of a toss-up, honestly. Still working on it).

Same goals for August. Be lighter than 184.5, stick to a budget, and be healthier.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited August 2021
    Thanks for starting us off Barbie, as always!

Sharon, Nice to hear from you. Nice picture. That is really sad. One thought is that he called it "exchanging" history and medical information, but I assume that it was more in one direction : where you were giving him medical information and history and less of the opposite.
    Spending a week together is huge for a first contact. (If I get that) I think in most cases one would meet for a meal or coffee for 1st time. And to spend a week together have a great time and plan to meet again and then turn around is really a testimony to the unpredictableness of human nature.
    He must be having emotional upheavals about it - or maybe his adoptive parents (assuming one or both are alive) or other adoptive family members are really upset, have even giving him grief about it in a major way.
    It might be- in other ways (relationship, work, self-identity)- a challenging time in his life - and it's hard for him to integrate a major shift in his feeling about his origins into his life right now.

Personally I would think it's acceptable for you to write to him one last time and also express your thoughts, like. "I found it delightful to meet, and discover who you have become. I'm glad you were able to get information about history and health that may help you in your future. I wish you all the best." or something like that.

I find it pretty unfair for a person to surprise and express and say "you can't answer."

Banana--I have seen at the dermatologist office, hats and shirts to wear in the sun that are light weight and cover.

Vicki, yes there must be some. Its a thing to learn. yesterday I wore a knee length summer dress with long sleeves. I wasn't outside most of the day. In the city apartments we are just not. I put sunscreen on my lower legs. I was a bit fed up with wearing long sleeves and pants all the time in summer. it feels like I'm compelled by one of many religions or cultures that require covering up.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbie— Thank you for the new August thread. ❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,188 Member
    Proud of myself for completing my exercise regime today after DH left for the cricket. :laugh: The temptation to 'scive off' was very strong. :o But I gave myself a good talking to and completed it. o:)

Day to myself, providing it doesn't rain over in Southampton.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx