WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Sharon ... may I ask who initiated the reunion? Update ... I see that you had been in communication with your son for quite some time. So very sorry that the relationship has abruptly ended.

Beth near Buffalo
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD, pantry canners envy, haha! Its kind of a hobnob contraption. As you open the cabinets, the back sliding door of shelves wants to move open. I put folded paper bags under the swinging cabinet part so they don't move, and I have nothing in the far back shelves.
    Michele in NC, so my sushi comment made you think of something Italian? Ya sweet nut! Gazpacho is cold tomato soup right?

Today I am making brownies for Owain. Then I have to write a letter. I bought jerky, Starbucks coffee packets, and special hot chocolate mix. I will mail the box with magazines Lee saves for him, and it will go into the black void. But at least I am doing my part. I might get eldest son to write him a letter as well.

Might make a hearty salad with tomatoes, olives, hardboiled egg, beets, cheese, lettuce, spinach and cold wild rice. Dressing will be bleu cheese.
    Hugs to you all!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • pdd1216
    pdd1216 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Sharon, I'm sad for the abrupt ending. It sounds very painful and unfair to be completely cut off.

It is too hot here to do much outside. I feel housebound; I have Achilles tendonitis in my ankle which is causing hip pain from me compensating for it. It is better since taking a steroid dose pack but I did just a little yesterday by going to farmer's market and everything was throbbing last night. I start physical therapy tomorrow so I'm hopeful that will help everything. My goal for August is to figure out some kind of exercise I can do to work around this.

Diane in TN
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Kiz ~ What grades do you teach and what subjects? There are a lot of teachers (presently teaching and retired) in my family. I taught 5th grade for 30 yrs. For many of those, all subject areas until they realized math was not my thing. My DnL teaches 6th grade Social Studies. I was surprised to learn that they no longer use books at all...it's all done on white boards and lap tops.

Carol in GA

I teach 10th through 12th right now
    AP Calculus AB
    AP Statistics
    AP Computer Science A

I used to teach middle school math 6-8, geometry. Then I switched to high school, Brick and Mortar. I now teach online. So yes a lot of the curriculum doesn't need a book. Unfortunately AP is for college credit and the online criteria is you have to have access to a college level book. The online curriculum refers the kids to book pages for reading and some homework. So in this case it is necessary and for me to judge if the course is adequate and suited for the kids I have I need the book. Our Geometry curriculum is completely online and the software does a good job of rigor but isn't as good with remediation.

I know that some of the kids coming into the AP math classes aren't going to be the level that I'm used to and that's ok I'm going to work with them. But I need to know what all the components look like to make it work.

I love the computer science curriculum it's the best I've seen anywhere.

Kiz
    North Florida
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    I honestly don’t know why, but I really overslept today so I skipped the formal exercise and just went for my walk instead. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump DVD.

Perhaps the reason I overslept is because I had a lot of carbs yesterday. Or maybe it was because I was doing a lot. You know something, the gal who co-hosted with me? Well, the gal who used to asked me where she was when Amanda (who used to help me) asked where she (the gal who was supposed to be helping me) was. I just said “in the pool”. So Amanda helped me cut up the pizza, lasagnas, etc. Also, it’s weird. I guess old habits die hard. Anyway, Nancie (who was supposed to be helping), I always gave my empty litter containers to her. I think she used them for transporting her dillydallies to the farmer’s market. Well, I know that a few years ago she was having trouble financially which is why she was working not only tutoring but also at the farmer’s market. Well, her father who was a neurosurgeon (and quite well off) passed away and I know he left her a sizable inheritance. A neighbor of hers told us that she went shopping one time with the neighbor and she spent $10,000 on designer clothes. Yet, she told me last night that she no longer uses the litter containers but she sells them to someone for $1 a container. I jokingly said to her “and I don’t get a share?? At least 25 cents and you get 75”. No response. I guess she’s just so used to penny-pinching that its hard for her to give that up. I remember going to Aldi one time with her and, to be honest, I was a bit embarrassed. She would take carts that were left in the parking lot back to the store and keep the quarter. Oh well….

Sharon Seattle – I would be stunned, too. Asking you not to contact him is one thing but to totally unfriend you and everyone else???? Something inside of me suspects an outside pressure of some sort.

M – I’d say you had a great run. Congrats

About the mahjongg: You know how I said that I just couldn’t justify driving 40 minutes to play 4 maybe 5 games when I can play online at home and play 9 games? Well, my understanding was that if they couldn’t play inperson at Susie’s house, then they’d play online. Well, Susie is away so Diane is having it at her house and she’s asked another lady to be there. I just don’t understand her lately. While Amanda was at the pool party she texted Diane and said that she was at my house and she was sorry that she missed Diane. Diane said that Paige (her husband) had to work on his airplane. She’s able-bodied and has a car. She couldn’t come over and see Amanda?

Well, Amanda and I were talking at the party. I’m going to try to get together with her and play mahjongg on another night. Then I’ll probably ask Diane and the other gals Amanda played with if they would like to join us, maybe Dottie would like to join us so she can play in person when she’s in Hickory and online when she’s in the mountains

I was just of the impression that we could play online when Susie isn’t available to host. Now it looks like that isn’t happening. Wonder if Dianne is mad at me for something, although I have no idea what.

Rebecca – yup, gazpacho is cold soup. I’m thinking that I can have it for breakfast some days

Went in the pool earlier today. To me, that is just so very relaxing.

Off for my evening walk

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    Eeee
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Sharon -- I am sorry for the message you received from your son. I think we have enough love for all sorts of people, family and friends. I wish he (or whoever is pressuring him) had been able to see that.

Take care.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,914 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Outside bike ride- 26.10min, 12.0 amph, 63aw, 38elev, 112ahr, 141mhr, 5.24mi= 192c
    Strava app = 111c
    Housecleaning- 2hrs 3min 11sec, vacuum, dust, mop, 74ahr, 96mhr, = 573c

Total cal 765
  • pdd1216
    pdd1216 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Sharon ((( :heart: )))
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,385 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hi All!
    I've been reading, but not posting lately (again!) Lets see how my memory is doing!
    Barbie, Thank you for once again starting us off on the right foot!
    Machka, I'm having daffodil envy!
    Sharon, I too am picking my jaw up off the floor at your son's actions. Have to agree that someone else in the family must be feeling threatened, too bad about that, but ultimately, their loss.
    Lisa, glad to hear that you are feeling somewhat better, but sure do feel bad for all that you have gone and are going thru.
    Allie, glad to hear that you got the CPAP, sincerest hopes that it makes a difference! Hoping that this makes it so that you can turn this particular corner! Hope you have a great time with Taliah! Also, I'm echoing whoever said to watch the youtube videos to learn how to crochet a baby blanket. It really is quite easy, make sure you choose a pattern that doesn't get too fancy, I googled "crocheted baby blanket" and found some really cute and easy blankets. I also found some that made me (a very experienced crocheter!) throw up my hands in frustration! I did eventually work them out, the key is patience (not my strong suit) and following the pattern to the letter, go slow to start, you will be able to speed up as time goes by and you become comfortable with the pattern.
    Katla, I'm sure the blanket will turn out very nice! Sure is frustrating when you have to rip out and start over! Been there a few times!
    Heather, sounds like your life is getting back to normal! YAY!! I hope you are able to get your family all together, that would be very nice to have both boys, their partners and the grands all in the same space even if only for a few hours. I sense some good memories in the making!
    Well, July was a bit of a bust weight loss wise, although I did leave the month down .5 of a pound. There was a bit of yo-yo stuff happening, there was also some (many) nights of non necessary eating, so not a big surprise, just annoyed with myself, but once again we have a new month! Today was a good day, had a bit of a snack after I finished my dinner, but didn't get carried away, so I'm going to go with it. I'm going walking with a new friend tomorrow, hopefully that will turn into a once a week thing, I already walk on Sundays with one friend and ride my bike two days a week. I have been walking by myself one day a week also, it will be nice having someone else to talk to.
    I also bought a bike rack that doesn't need a trailer hitch to use, our car didn't come with a hitch and the dealer says one isn't listed in their accessory catalogue. I didn't want to fuss about with trying to put something on the car that wouldn't work, but saw one that just straps onto the trunk. I wouldn't want to go any real distance with it, but it will be good enough for getting me home from work, so ride my bike to work in the morning and get hubby to pick me up in the evening. It's just too late for me otherwise, not getting home til 7 pm, and then making dinner etc.
    It's getting late, must go shower and get to bed, hopefully will get a better nights sleep tonight, the last few weeks has been kind of not great. And now my left shoulder is bothering me, which kind of sucks as that's the side I like to sleep on, but my shoulder does protest. Not sure what the problem is, I don't recall doing anything that make me go "ouch"!
    Anyway, Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Coming back to mfp for consistency. Finding that have missed reading about everyone's life.

Linda
    SFV, Calif