WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,385 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Lisa would you share some first/second sleep resources? Might describe the pattern I fell into at retirement ;)

Here's the one that makes the most sense so far: https://www.sleepadvisor.org/segmented-sleep/

Barbie,

Meant to say last night how much I appreciate this defined progression from month to the next that you lead us through. It helps me punctuate my life in ways that go well beyond this simple conversation. Thank you!

Feeling more relaxed this morning--less depressed, more optimistic. It's dawn here, and I'm just grateful for another one.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Later,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    bsulnaf8j8rs.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    August Plans

• Run a 6.2 km event on August 1.
    • Run at least one 5 km distance. Plus shorter runs.
    • Cycle a 50 km route. Plus shorter rides.
    • Pilates and strength training at home.
    • Climb Mount Buller virtually as part of a stair climbing challenge at work. Mt Buller is a mountain that is close to where I lived in Victoria for my first few years in Australia. It is 1805 metres = 502 floors * 20 stairs/floor.
    • Audax meeting and "work" - that's the long distance cycling club of which I'm President (and hold several other positions).
    • Designing two 50 km routes for Audax. One of need to be in southern Tasmania which is challenging. The other can be up north which is easier.
    • My husband's and my medical appointments. We've both got appointments on Monday and Tuesday this week!
    • Plus, of course, my 2021 To Do List: getting organise, simplifying, etc.

That's all in addition to almost full-time work (data) and caring for my husband who has a severe traumatic brain injury and heart issues (heart attack in May).

Machka in Oz

Thanks Barbie!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,912 Member
    Options
    <3Sharon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️🔴🟥
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Happy August 1! I am up early & DH is sleeping. I have knitting to do!

Katla
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    2kgzrfns3s8a.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I had a lovely time last night with friends that were up from Florida they used to live behind Tom and I.. we all got together at Bevs house last night for dinner.. Tom walked Homer by and stopped to say hello to George and Mary Lou . He sold one of his cars to Carvana so they are down to 2 cars. Which is normal...
    Im going to start making a list for N.H. and start packing.. im hoping it will be a fun time...
    Trucker- it is so hard to hear words like that from someone that you gave life to.my parents were on the receiving end of my brothers adoption.. and my dad and I got to meet his biological ,mom,and brothers and sisters at his biological dads wake.. we arent close but Sean speaks to them through Facebook..his mom passed a few yrs ago..
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday and Happy August! Summer is flying by! Which is okay with me; as a "four season" kind of girl, I am ready for the next season. Fall....
    Barbie- Thank you for bringing us into the month!

August goals:
    30 minutes of walking/cardio each day (my walking with the kids doesn't count, bc they walk at a snail's pace)
    drink more water
    add more veggies

Pip- I got the link! Thank you! Will be sending donation later today!
    Sharon- Sending hugs to you! What an emotional roller coaster. Like the other ladies, I am thinking he (or someone close to him) felt betrayed by his feelings for you. I am sending you much love! Perhaps there can be a little comfort in your heart knowning he has been well cared for and is in a good place. ? ((hugs dear friend))
    Machka- The Russell Falls photos are stunning! You are so lucky to have so much beauty around you for your biking and walking adventures!
    Julie- Ugh! The guy you have the interview with seems to want you to be at his beck and call. This is the time I would be sending him a letter and conducting the whole thing by email/snail mail. What a pill!

two hours later:
    Ugh! Got sidetracked by a couple of phone calls and some laundry. Finishing up and getting busy. Need to mow the lawn and finish cleaning house today. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (kelly)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Pip – Lexi is on a special diet for kidney. What food will you be giving Yogi?

Rebecca – I don’t know why, but you mentioning sushi reminded me that I need to go to WalMart tomorrow to get things for gezpacho that I want to make.

Pool party was nice. I guess we had about 20 people here. I didn’t think that too bad since this was really the first “formal” social that Newcomers has had. I do hope for Cathy’s sake (the president) that this variant turns out to be not so bad. One gal left her bag here so she’ll be coming by tomorrow to get it.

She was talking to me about having Rummikub in people’s homes. Really, when we used to do that (pre-pandemic) it was not easy at all to get people to have it in their homes. To be honest, I don’t feel that she should do it one month, me the next, her the next, etc. That just isn’t fair. I’m really not hopeful that people will do this now if they didn’t before. It looks like there are a lot of activity chair openings, and no one is stepping forward. I just don’t know. I guess I should give it a try, but I really don’t hold out a lot of hope. I guess I'm afraid that she is going to do it all the time in her house, and I don't think that's fair.

Michele NC

He is on science diet renal formula kibble food
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday and Happy August! Summer is flying by! Which is okay with me; as a "four season" kind of girl, I am ready for the next season. Fall....
    Barbie- Thank you for bringing us into the month!

August goals:
    30 minutes of walking/cardio each day (my walking with the kids doesn't count, bc they walk at a snail's pace)
    drink more water
    add more veggies

Pip- I got the link! Thank you! Will be sending donation later today!
    Sharon- Sending hugs to you! What an emotional roller coaster. Like the other ladies, I am thinking he (or someone close to him) felt betrayed by his feelings for you. I am sending you much love! Perhaps there can be a little comfort in your heart knowning he has been well cared for and is in a good place. ? ((hugs dear friend))
    Machka- The Russell Falls photos are stunning! You are so lucky to have so much beauty around you for your biking and walking adventures!
    Julie- Ugh! The guy you have the interview with seems to want you to be at his beck and call. This is the time I would be sending him a letter and conducting the whole thing by email/snail mail. What a pill!

two hours later:
    Ugh! Got sidetracked by a couple of phone calls and some laundry. Finishing up and getting busy. Need to mow the lawn and finish cleaning house today. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (kelly)

Glad to hear it, thx again!
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    OH MY Sharon I am really, really stunned. I'm going to go with what Karen in Virginia said. Projection and it meant more to him than he's saying. Blocking you is absolutely indicative of that. Also what KJ mentions about "someone close to him being betrayed" I'm absolutely certain entered into it. I am SO VERY, VERY sorry for your "loss" as it is a loss on your part. I hope you can find it in your heart to write to your son and explain your side and perhaps come to a mutual understanding that allows you to remain in some type of contact albeit not week-long visits perhaps ever again.
    Being adopted myself, I haven't met my birth parents (not sure if that's going to ever happen) but I can see my adoptive mother being very upset about me pursuing that. Long story. We also had a situation in our eldest daughter's in-law's family were one of the siblings held some ridiculously, undue, control-pressure over her brother (DD's husband) that would have led to horrible outcomes in their marriage had it not been for a terribly unfortunate accident that took his life. How about that for irony?!?
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    Cant believe August is here already..lordy the older you get the quicker it goes lol..
    2nd night with the apnea machine and i got a high score which means im using it right lol..
    I cant really tell if its helping or not yet,but guess i am sleeping more soundly..
    Taking my granddaughter up to N.H. Friday for 6 days and she is at a very hard age,i told her mom,I will have my phone on me that she should keep Taliahs phone home and let her figure out what to do without electronics.. she has no ambition,wants to sleep all day and play on her phone.. thats not going to fly with grandma.... we have no internet up there.. and she knows it...and after Friday it will be her and I up there alone.. will have to keep an eye on the weather.. would like to take her on a Whale watch, the Fireworks Weds night,minature golf.. there is a skaeboard place up there she can bring her skateboard...
    That first weekend her parents are going to Cape Cod on a Babymoon so they know Tal will be in good hands,but Im not gonna let her sit around like a lump on a log either..
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Good Morning,

I'm caught up with my reading.
    Allie I hope the CPAP eventually let's you get a good night sleep that is important for health.
    Barbie thanks for continuing to start us a new thread each month. I am excited to start fresh.
    Trucker you will probably never know what happened but I suspect as others did that someone from his adoptive family got hurt feelings especially if he shared the plan to visit you.
    Rebecca I love your pantry. I always make my hubby do a cedar lined closet with exact shelf spacing for each house we move into. I grew up a military kid and we only went to the commissary once a month. I have huge food issues. We would all get treats early in the month but if you wanted x you had to eat it quick cause once it was gone it was gone until the next month. I binge eat. I have gotten much better with lots of age. I also now horde. So I have a pantry and a chest freezer. I also agree fresh food taste way better than lean cuisine.
    Rita I love the mesquite pods. I often eat things that are more native when I can. I have pindo palm in my yard, chanterelle mushrooms, loquats, and betony that I consume. I think the hunter gatherer helps your gut biome. Also I love free food :)

So I have slightly more than 1 month under my belt. I've done fairly well sticking to natural, organic foods. I done ok staying away from preservatives. I have had a few days that I have exceeded my desired carb level and fell out of ketosis about 4 days ago.

My main goal of trying to eat in a way that allows me to regain health was met. I feel much better in July then I did in June. My triglycerides are below the recommended threshold of 149 for every measurement in July (was between 200-300 before). My gallbladder pain has reduced. I am less fatigued.

My stress has gone up and I've had a few days of stress eating but have stuck to the type of food just too much of it.

My great grand nephew has been released from the hospital but not to my grand niece. My niece and grand niece have managed to secure an apartment and have a court hearing Aug. 20th.

My work is my main stress. I agreed to take on 3 AP preps this year but was clear on some conditions that needed to be met. Most of those conditions were not met and they have added an additional responsibility to my work load.
    Some of the main conditions that were not met is getting the material early (like back in April) so I could start to plan early. Going to an expert workshop which would save me 300-400 hours worth of work and having access to my electronic courses early. None of those were met.

I sent emails in May and June regarding materials. I again did this early July. Then I finally just zoomed with the materials person only to be told that the book was considered optional and that I wasn't allowed to talk with the materials person. Nobody bothered to let me know in April, May, June or early July that my book had been determined to be optional.

Of course after I found this out, I got it straightened out. It isn't optional we are getting a book but I still have yet to 'get' this book and school starts Aug. 10th. Oh and my plans for the entire semester are due Aug. 6th for all 3 preps. 2 of which I don't have the book. Oh course they have said my class is different and I can turn those plans in later. But guess what, I don't like going into the semester without a solid plan. So I am spending lots of extra time trying to get everything in place. We also keep having meetings where it is emphasized we are salaried and might have to work outside out hours. Ironically, we are also told we can't take anytime during the day for things. Wait salaried goes both ways.....

I've always worked outside of my hours but it chaps me how they keep prepping us and telling us it might be required. Oh well. They better hope I really like the students or they will be figuring out who is taking over the 3 AP preps come October or such LOL.

My husband has said I can quit. He thinks it effects my health, which it does. This has become obvious over the last 3 years. I am working to reduce how much I let it impact me. However the stress eating the last 4 days is due to school about to start and wanting to make sure I give the kids a good class and prepare them well for the AP exam.

Trying to clean up my garden and plant a fall garden. I didn't get the summer garden in. I was working and didn't have any energy in April and May. August is a big planting month here. Cleared a very small area this morning.

Kiz
    North Florida

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kiz ~ What grades do you teach and what subjects? There are a lot of teachers (presently teaching and retired) in my family. I taught 5th grade for 30 yrs. For many of those, all subject areas until they realized math was not my thing. My DnL teaches 6th grade Social Studies. I was surprised to learn that they no longer use books at all...it's all done on white boards and lap tops.

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    Options
    Had a lovely day to myself, exercising and listening to French, inspiring videos, and reading. Happy day. :D
    Then I rang Gwendolen who is feeling a bit flat from having retired on Thursday. At 72! We are going to meet up on the 9th.
    Trying to arrange dates for my elder son to come down. Got holiday dates from DDIL.

I see a few more of you are following my Instagram page. <3 Thank you. :)
    I am working on a new post. Meant to do it today, but laziness got the better of me. I have to ransack a big box of old photos in the loft, so ........... :o I can picture the one I want, but have to find it first. :p

Today has been a "reculer pour mieux sauter" kind of day. Nice.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx