Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

New York becomes first U.S. city to order COVID vaccines for restaurants, gyms

Options
12346»

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Locally, scuttlebutt has it that our private local high school may be requiring vaccinations of employees. There are several who are switching jobs, leaving the school short staffed in various ways. I honestly don't understand why our state has any unemployment at all; every town you go through is crying for help, any help at all.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    California just ordered a mandate for health care workers. I’m surprised this wasn’t done sooner. All of the PAs and doctors I know are vaccinated and about 70% of our nurses but for some reason there are still some resistant workers and they know better.

I’m glad it is mandated now because even with masking and PPE, you can transmit Covid to others. The last thing a patient who comes in for chest pain or other unrelated complaint needs is to also catch Covid while in the hospital because his irresponsible caregiver refused the vaccine.

Yuuup, and I'm expecting a lot of co-workers to quit over that. I'm for it, but ouch is it going to suck for us in the short term

Same. We have about 50 unvaccinated nurses who are threatening to quit.

Actually, its going to hurt in the lloonnnggg term. Many nurses have just and left the profession, taken jobs in telehealth, or case management. What many of the companies are failing to recognize is, schools are not making enough of us to replace those lost. In my line of nursing, there are few that hear the calling. It takes a breed of tough, independent, and most of all detached nurses, to survive. Tough, because you deal with chronic manipulation and the threat of violence everyday. Independent, because there will be many times you have no access to a provider, and have to make decisions quickly. Detached, well.... try giving care to someone who you know raped and killed a child. One's emotions can play hell, but we took an oath, "first, do no harm." I lovely call the ladies I work with, "barbwire broads". They are some of the best nurses I have had the privilidge to work with. All that said, my company is about to lose 50% of staff, when we are already understaffed, because they are trying to mandate vaccinations. How are we going to replace that? Answer: you can't.
    California just ordered a mandate for health care workers. I’m surprised this wasn’t done sooner. All of the PAs and doctors I know are vaccinated and about 70% of our nurses but for some reason there are still some resistant workers and they know better.

I’m glad it is mandated now because even with masking and PPE, you can transmit Covid to others. The last thing a patient who comes in for chest pain or other unrelated complaint needs is to also catch Covid while in the hospital because his irresponsible caregiver refused the vaccine.

Yuuup, and I'm expecting a lot of co-workers to quit over that. I'm for it, but ouch is it going to suck for us in the short term

I find the notion of un-vaccinated nurses to be weird considering the profession they've chosen. I suppose I can understand medical exemptions and religious ones, but something tells me all 50 of the nurses you're mentioning don't fall into either of those categories.

Also, it's been eye-opening and somewhat disturbing (for me anyway) to learn just how conspiratorial and anti-science some health care professionals are.. and Covid brought it all out of the woodwork, so to speak.

I am really hoping I'm just somehow encountering a lot of the more vocal minority in this regard.

A lot of them are making a political statement. They refuse the vaccine because they don’t want to be controlled. They also are very vocal supporters of the former president.

Just say his name. He is not "Beetlejuice". Saying it 3 times won't get him back into office.... Trump... Trump... Trump..... wait...............Biden is still president. For the record I am vaccinated and I have had the virus. I got it in December when my company offered it and had the virus in November. While some of the nurses who are getting ready to walk are "conservative", many are liberal, and of child rearing age. They have their concerns. I personally back them. I also back those who want the vaccine.

Nursing is hard. My mom is an RN and recently retired. The main thing she would complain about were the working conditions. Patients can assault you and you have no recourse. Patient’s family members can curse you out for no reason and you’re not allowed to ask them to leave the room. Management tends to suck and if there is an issue, rarely is anything done to resolve it. I am a PA and work with a lot of nurses. I have so much respect for them. Things need to change so that we can recruit and maintain more nurses. However, it is disgraceful to be a healthcare worker and refuse to be vaccinated because you’re risking infecting your patients. The ones that refuse should be fired.

If I was in the hospital for something urgent and got sick with a vaccine-preventable illness because the health care workers taking care of me refused to get a vaccine, I'd feel angry and betrayed. I guess if there's enough of them, they can set up their own hospital where people are fine with getting measles and COVID and polio while they're recovering from other diseases.

You'd feel angry and betrayed, which seems fair. A lot of people would sue, I suspect. Or their estates/heirs would. Here in the US, anyway.

There are a lot of potential forces and counterforces in this situation. It will be . . . interesting . . . , I fear.

Right, wrong or indifferent, good luck proving someone who is at the hospital for something "urgent" got Covid from an unvaxed hospital worker. MAYBE if the patient had quarantined (and it could be proven) for x number of days before hospitalization. Otherwise who's to say the patient got Covid from a hospital worker in the ER or at the restaurant they were at 10 minutes before they got in the car wreck that put them in the hospital?
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Actually, its going to hurt in the lloonnnggg term. Many nurses have just and left the profession, taken jobs in telehealth, or case management. What many of the companies are failing to recognize is, schools are not making enough of us to replace those lost. In my line of nursing, there are few that hear the calling. It takes a breed of tough, independent, and most of all detached nurses, to survive. Tough, because you deal with chronic manipulation and the threat of violence everyday. Independent, because there will be many times you have no access to a provider, and have to make decisions quickly. Detached, well.... try giving care to someone who you know raped and killed a child. One's emotions can play hell, but we took an oath, "first, do no harm." I lovely call the ladies I work with, "barbwire broads". They are some of the best nurses I have had the privilidge to work with. All that said, my company is about to lose 50% of staff, when we are already understaffed, because they are trying to mandate vaccinations. How are we going to replace that? Answer: you can't.

I find the notion of un-vaccinated nurses to be weird considering the profession they've chosen. I suppose I can understand medical exemptions and religious ones, but something tells me all 50 of the nurses you're mentioning don't fall into either of those categories.

Also, it's been eye-opening and somewhat disturbing (for me anyway) to learn just how conspiratorial and anti-science some health care professionals are.. and Covid brought it all out of the woodwork, so to speak.

I am really hoping I'm just somehow encountering a lot of the more vocal minority in this regard.

A lot of them are making a political statement. They refuse the vaccine because they don’t want to be controlled. They also are very vocal supporters of the former president.

Just say his name. He is not "Beetlejuice". Saying it 3 times won't get him back into office.... Trump... Trump... Trump..... wait...............Biden is still president. For the record I am vaccinated and I have had the virus. I got it in December when my company offered it and had the virus in November. While some of the nurses who are getting ready to walk are "conservative", many are liberal, and of child rearing age. They have their concerns. I personally back them. I also back those who want the vaccine.

Nursing is hard. My mom is an RN and recently retired. The main thing she would complain about were the working conditions. Patients can assault you and you have no recourse. Patient’s family members can curse you out for no reason and you’re not allowed to ask them to leave the room. Management tends to suck and if there is an issue, rarely is anything done to resolve it. I am a PA and work with a lot of nurses. I have so much respect for them. Things need to change so that we can recruit and maintain more nurses. However, it is disgraceful to be a healthcare worker and refuse to be vaccinated because you’re risking infecting your patients. The ones that refuse should be fired.

If I was in the hospital for something urgent and got sick with a vaccine-preventable illness because the health care workers taking care of me refused to get a vaccine, I'd feel angry and betrayed. I guess if there's enough of them, they can set up their own hospital where people are fine with getting measles and COVID and polio while they're recovering from other diseases.

You'd feel angry and betrayed, which seems fair. A lot of people would sue, I suspect. Or their estates/heirs would. Here in the US, anyway.

There are a lot of potential forces and counterforces in this situation. It will be . . . interesting . . . , I fear.

Right, wrong or indifferent, good luck proving someone who is at the hospital for something "urgent" got Covid from an unvaxed hospital worker. MAYBE if the patient had quarantined (and it could be proven) for x number of days before hospitalization. Otherwise who's to say the patient got Covid from a hospital worker in the ER or at the restaurant they were at 10 minutes before they got in the car wreck that put them in the hospital?

Of course, you're going to be paying out of pocket for those legal defenses. And personal injury attorneys have ways of making you squirm. Good luck paying for the defense out of pocket.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Here they are proposing something different - requiring vaccination OR regular covid testing for medical and education fields. Some private businesses are doing their own mandates, which seem to be following a similar path of vaccination or testing.

The stupid thing is that it was reported that the premier ordered his MPP's to get vaccinated by a certain date (there are two holdouts apparently) or get kicked out of caucus. Seems like some kind of hypocrisy to demand your own caucus members be vaccinated, presumably for the protection of all members, but those in other fields can't be "forced" to get it? So the protection of patients and students is less important than the protection of legislators?

(ETA: we have 75% of 12 and overs fully vaccinated now (82% one dose), which I think is pretty high compared to other jurisdictions, so not sure the uproar over vaccine mandates will be as bad here as other places with lower vaccine uptakes.)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Of course, you're going to be paying out of pocket for those legal defenses. And personal injury attorneys have ways of making you squirm. Good luck paying for the defense out of pocket.

A large hospital has the resources to make any personal injury attorney look like the ambulance chaser he/she is.

I'm not a lawyer. I can tell you there is not way to prove where the person got Covid in the scenario I described.
This discussion has been closed.