September 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    Welcome to all the newcomers and welcome back to those who have been away for a while. We've missed you.

I've been reading, liking, and hugging as appropriate. I know I usually catch up and comment, but I just don't have the time right now. I will try to keep up from here, but no promises. Just have a lot going on in my life at the moment - working more than I really want to due to a couple of people getting fired (was needed) and another got a new job, have things to do for my cousin to make sure he keeps his Medicaid, things for mom, my Aunt's visitation and funeral, and trying to find time for at least some of my runs.

This week is supposed to be the hardest week in my HM plan, with my long run being 12 miles. I have been trying to figure out how I can get that run in, but am coming up empty. I had planned to run it on Saturday morning, but that is when my Aunt’s burial is going to be. What are your thoughts on just doing what I can this week and not worrying about getting in a 12 mile run? My longest run so far was 11 miles on July 24th. If I don’t worry about this week and stick to the plan for next week, the long run is 10 miles and then the HM would be the next weekend.

Good decision to do your HM virtual @shanaber . I can't imagine running a HM in a mask.

Glad your hip is doing better @kgirlhart . Nice run. Glad Hal isn't holding you to the letter of his plan.

@ContraryMaryMary I hope you get out of lockdown soon. It's really bad here, but no lockdown, of course. We had the most cases in one day yesterday - since the beginning of the pandemic last year! It's scary. Just hoping and praying that the vaccine works for me and mom.

@polskagirl01 I think I would have turned around and went back the way I came. Good job on your run.

@Tramboman Hope you have a good game of golf and it doesn't aggravate your hip!

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,051 Member

This week is supposed to be the hardest week in my HM plan, with my long run being 12 miles. I have been trying to figure out how I can get that run in, but am coming up empty. I had planned to run it on Saturday morning, but that is when my Aunt’s burial is going to be. What are your thoughts on just doing what I can this week and not worrying about getting in a 12 mile run? My longest run so far was 11 miles on July 24th. If I don’t worry about this week and stick to the plan for next week, the long run is 10 miles and then the HM would be the next weekend.

Honestly, if you were able to do 11 miles then you are capable of doing 13. Do what you can. It sounds like you don’t have a lot of other options with all the life stuff. Maybe some time will free up and you can make it work. I know you have mentioned before that you are not one to run in the morning, but would waking up an hour earlier one day be enough cushion in your schedule to make it work?
    You have been consistent and you still have another 10 miler the week before. I personally love plans with a 12 mile long run but I know that it is a mental hurdle for me and not a physical one. So many plans never have you go beyond 10 miles in prep for a HM. If you just don’t have the time or bandwidth to deal with the long run this week, do what you can and trust your training headed into your HM. You got this!
  • martaindale
    edited September 2021
    I’m taking a break for a week due to hip pain. Hopefully the pain will go away. Is there anything I can do to help. I’m thinking I’ll do some yoga. I don’t want to over do it just something gentle. If the pain doesn’t go away with the week off I think I should go to the sports medicine doctor. I’m not sure if it’s a running injury or the fall I took. Any advice you want to give I’m all ears.
    Exactly how and where does your hip hurt, and what movement elicit the pain?

This^ It could be several different things and a lot of pains people attribute to the hip aren’t actually hip joint pain but rather attachment muscles around the joint that are hurting.

@penguinmama87 I’m so jealous of your 50’s!!

@Scott6255 Oh, no that sounds painful! I hope you figure out the source quickly!

@johnisrunning It’s nice when the terrible weather actually coincides with a rest day!
  • martaindale
    edited September 2021
    Sept totals: 3.1/70 miles

9/2: 3.1 miles

Had to get out a little earlier today to make sure I was home in time to harass my daughter into getting ready for school. My husband usually has the pleasure, but he is out of town for a few days. It was dark the entire run, which I actually kind of like. Usually the sun is just coming up when I set out. I actually caught a couple of sprinklers! Also, the exercisers out at this slightly earlier hour are not quite as friendly as my usual group. Maybe they are all tired! Otherwise, run was pretty uneventful but in a good way.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    9/1 – 6.22
    9/2 – 4.01

10.23 of 75 miles

I was tired this morning and almost didn’t run until I walked outside and it was 62F, you have to run when it’s 62 out! Ran out of time to go any longer, I walked the first mile or so with my friend who I haven’t had a chance to have a good chat with in a while.

@shanaber how in the world can you run an HM in a mask in CA? That’s insane. Great job on the HM!!
    My friend was telling me today her daughter’s XC meet is no spectators, it’s on the campus of Univ of Arkansas, where this weekend is their home football game with a no mask policy and full stands. What the heck, so figure that one out. I’m going to see Makayla and attend a game, it mask encouraged.

@kgirlhart glad the hip was feeling better

Thanks for everyone answering my ritual question, I have none, zero none. Ha ha

@polskagirl01 that looks like shoe sucking mud

@quilteryoyo push the 12 miles out to another time and don’t worry about it. Your mileage doesn’t know if it’s Saturday or Tuesday, you’ll be fine. I do agree with @martaindale and others if you can do 11 you can do 13. When I did my first HM my longest official run was 10 miles, Skip full marathon her longest was 22 miles. Honestly at this point, the hay is in the barn and you’ll do great.

I hope everyone is safe with all the flooding and tornadoes

Nice pictures @Teresa502

@Scott6255 sorry for the shins, shoes? Ramping up mileage? Adding downhills?

@julieannegannon sorry about the hip, if it bothers you for more than a few days you might want to make sure you didn’t do damage on your fall. I had hip pain about 3 or so years ago and found out I have a torn labrum nerve in my hip and a born spur. I did a few weeks of PT for the labrum tear and when it starts to talk to me I stretch it better.
  • martaindale
    edited September 2021
    Honestly at this point, the hay is in the barn and you’ll do great.

This is a fantastic saying. Love it!
    6/174 (or 175, haven't decided if I should round up)

Do it, do it, do it!
    Keep going @swenson19d, that scale will move. Even if that movement is you throwing it in the river

:D:D

@Teresa502 When I read your first paragraph then opened the image I was expecting a dog! I went back and re-read because I thought I missed something, like the cow followed you on your run. That would be an interesting running buddy!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,701 Member

@Teresa502 When I read your first paragraph then opened the image I was expecting a dog! I went back and re-read because I thought I missed something, like the cow followed you on your run. That would be an interesting running buddy!

Lol - I guess I should have mentioned my other sights along the way! :-)
  • skippygirlsmom
    @martaindale Skip's coach used to say that to her and it has just stuck.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited September 2021
    4.30 mile lunch time walk
    9/1 - Morning Walk - 4.31 miles
    9/1 - Afternoon Walk - 5.01 miles
    9/1 - Evening Walk - 1.36 miles
    9/2 - Morning Walk - 4.23 miles
    9/2 - Afternoon Walk - 4.30 miles
    exercise.png
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,428 Member
    Thanks for all the well wishes 💓
    @Scott6255 sorry for the shins, shoes? Ramping up mileage? Adding downhills?

Shoes: 2 pair in rotation. Both the same model I have been wearing years, and only a couple weeks/months old.
    Mileage: Same weekly mileage for basically all this year (+/- 5 miles)
    Downhills: Same basic 4 routes / week (except last weekend's run in Houston) That has some big up/down hills, but very short. Hmm, that MIGHT be something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The only other thing I can think of is yesterday was the first time in forever that I didn't pop an Advil before the run (I know, I know... terrible)

Thanks for making me think through it!!!
    Hopefully tomorrows rest day will cure it 😁
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,481 Member
    Welcome new runners!

@rheddmobile sorry to hear about your race turning virtual. Your pre-race breakfast sounds DELICIOUS!

@juliet3455 good to hear from you! Not good to hear about your troubles. Sounds like you're making progress though, so keep it up! I'm coming back from over 6 months off running due to PF and it sucks. It sucks not running and it sucks being no where near the shape you used to be when you start back up. I hope you stick around or check in from time to time.

@skippygirlsmom just before covid hit I was trying a new pre-race ritual that I think I'll continue. I only tried it once and it worked, but I'm calling it a ritual because I plan on continuing to do it. I'm fairly regular in the morning but I have to wait 60 to 90 minutes after my morning coffee for things to get moving. That means if I have to get up a lot earlier than I want to get things done before going on a long run or a race. My last long race what I did was to set my alarm for an hour before I really wanted to get up, slam a can of cold press coffee, then quick go back to sleep before the caffeine hit. Not only did I wake up easier an hour later because of caffeine, but I was able to go soon after I got up. (TMI for most folks, but not for fellow runners!). I do have one clothing ritual for one race. There's a local 5K for homelessness that someone in my church coordinated. It's the only race which I've run every single year it's been in existence (5 years). Each time I run it, including the first year, I wear the shirt from the first year. I have no idea why, but I do. Unfortunately I found out they won't be having the race this year. My other pre-race ritual is to second guess everything I decided to wear that day. My pre-race breakfast, when I remember to buy them, are Thomas brand mini bagels in flavors like cinnamon raisin or s'mores. Good carb to fill me up before a race. I'll also take a shot of gel immediately before a long race starts to start replenishing glycogen as soon as possible.

@julieannegannon I have no advice but I do hope you get your hip sorted soon.

@shanaber the post race jacuzzi sounds divine.

@polskagirl01 that looks like quite a slop fest, I love it!

@quilteryoyo sorry to hear about all you're going through right now. Don't worry about commenting on everything. We know that life happens and it sounds like what you're going through is more important than commenting here. As far as your run, do what you can, don't sweat what you can't do, and just enjoy the race and all the work you've done for it.

• skippygirlsmom
    @7lenny7 glad you figured out what helps get things moving. I tend to take the dogs out then sit and let gravity do it's thing LOL. Okay wait Thomas has mini bagel that are s'mores what!!!??? Too bad about the race, I hate when something that is done every year doesn't happen.