Books that changed your outlook on NUTRITION!

Options

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    'Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle' by Tony Venuto.

It's an e-book but EVERYONE should read it. It really breaks down all those weight loss myths and is backed by lots of research. He defintiely knows his stuff as he's a world class bodybuilder but the information is not just for those who are into body building it's for everyone who wants to lose body fat.:smile::smile:
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You Are What You Eat by Gillian McKeith

.... this is a book I go back to time and time again for reference. She also has her own show in Britain and it's not on any of my cable channels unfortunately. I remember only catching it a few times once on the Woman's network a long time ago, but she's great!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You Are What You Eat by Gillian McKeith

.... this is a book I go back to time and time again for reference. She also has her own show in Britain and it's not on any of my cable channels unfortunately. I remember only catching it a few times once on the Woman's network a long time ago, but she's great!
    I looooove that book, and the show!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My two favorites:

The Eat Clean Diet Recharged by Tosca Reno

and

The Body Fat Solution: 5 Principles for burning fat, building lean muscle, ending emotional eating, and maintaining your perfect weight by Tom Venuto
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Edit: a few movies, like Super Size Me, Fast Food Nation, and Food Inc reinforced my views.
    I have seen all of those movies and all i'm going to say is they are the reason I am trying to become a raw vegan! there is another one called we feed the world or something like that, which shows how much food is thrown away, talks about genetically modified foods, and just all the craziness that goes on in different parts of the world. there is also one called simply raw:reversing diabetes in 30 days, and it is AMAZING how much raw food can change your life.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/watch-online/

look in the list for "health" on this website and it has TONS of movies about health and nutirtion....and one that everyone should watch that isn't about nutritition at all is called who killed the electric car....its towards the bottom under science.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Edit: a few movies, like Super Size Me, Fast Food Nation, and Food Inc reinforced my views.
    I have seen all of those movies and all i'm going to say is they are the reason I am trying to become a raw vegan! there is another one called we feed the world or something like that, which shows how much food is thrown away, talks about genetically modified foods, and just all the craziness that goes on in different parts of the world. there is also one called simply raw:reversing diabetes in 30 days, and it is AMAZING how much raw food can change your life.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/watch-online/

look in the list for "health" on this website and it has TONS of movies about health and nutirtion....and one that everyone should watch that isn't about nutritition at all is called who killed the electric car....its towards the bottom under science.

Thank you! This looks like a great source for lots of films, I just started watching Simply Raw, looks like it will be good and it's one I looked for when I went raw for a few weeks in January, but couldn't find. I don't think I'll go raw again anytime soon, I'm feeling really good where I'm at now, but I still like hearing and learning more about it.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    What to Eat by Marion Nestle is a fabulous book written by a nutritionist that discusses not only how to eat to lose weight, but also the environmental effect food and the food industry has, the safety of a variety of foods, and the reality of many health claims by foods. She comes highly recommended by Mark Bittman (awesome chef with level headed views of eating) and others such as Michael Pollan etc.

Of course, the standard movies have also been influential. Food Inc. was especially helpful in my understanding of what we eat and why.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    The Omnivore's Dilemna by Michael Pollan

4 Day Win by Martha Beck (More on the psychology behind losing weight)

The Beck Diet Solution by Dr. Judith Beck (again, more psychology)

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson

The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith

Guns, Germs, and Steel (Not a nutrition book in any means, but relevant to how modern society and agriculture developed)

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schreiber

Protein Power by Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades

The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto

Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child

How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman (this is like the bible of my kitchen, honestly)

...and I like reading most anything on evolution. Obviously I have a very strong omnivorous opinion to my posts here and continue to find means to back it up :)

I've also slugged through a lot of others, but I don't think they've done much to inspire me. In some cases, they just made me chuckle. It's truly interesting to see how different studies and different means of living influence and affect everyone in highly different ways.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    'Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle' by Tony Venuto.

It's an e-book but EVERYONE should read it. It really breaks down all those weight loss myths and is backed by lots of research. He defintiely knows his stuff as he's a world class bodybuilder but the information is not just for those who are into body building it's for everyone who wants to lose body fat.:smile::smile:

x2
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of vegetarian and weight watchers type books before I found out I had Type 2 diabetes, PCOS and a host of other hormone related issues. My endocrinologist recommended a low carb eating plan and I started researching.............My findings and new additions to lead me to these additions to my library of books..................

Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 editon

South Beach Diet Book

The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure by Julia Ross (these helped me get control of the bulimia and former anorexic tendencies)

Neanderthin

The Primal Blue Print by Mark Sisson

Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Mary Enig

Know Your Fats : The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol by Mary Enig

Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes

Fats are Good for You: How Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Actually Benefit the Body by Jon J. Kabara

Fat and Cholesterol are Good for You by Uffe Ravnskov

The Great Cholesterol Con by Anthony Colpo

The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It by Malcolm Kendrick

Diet & Heart Disease : It's NOT What You Think by Stephen Byrnes

And my newest editon..............

Malignant Medical Myths: Why MEdical Treatment Causes 200,000 Deaths in the USA each Year, and How to Protect Yourself by Joel M Kauffman Phd
  • maydianna
    maydianna Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LadyLorax
    LadyLorax Posts: 20
    Options
    "Skinny "
    "Fast Food Nation"
    "Dominion"

Now if I could just figure out how I'm an overweight vegan, life would be good! :)
    I've only read the books, never seen the movies.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    "Skinny "
    "Fast Food Nation"
    "Dominion"

Now if I could just figure out how I'm an overweight vegan, life would be good! :)
    I've only read the books, never seen the movies.

That is not an uncommon thing. There are a lot of overweight vegans and vegetarians. I was one of them myself due to not enough protein intake.............

I like meat more, so I am a true omnivore.
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    I have nothing to add, but wanted to reply so that this would be in my topics. I am going to hit my library on the way home and look some of these up! Thank you to all who shared!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fdobson
    fdobson Posts: 28
    Options
    Diet for a New America - John Robbins
    There is a video based on the book. Well worth watching
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVUFrJADHU

Fit for life II - living health

Movies
    Zeitgeist
    Food Inc.
    Flow and Blue Gold
  • twojurfin
    twojurfin Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is one of the best reads out there! It is by Barbara Kingsolver, her husband and her daughter. It is not so much nutrition as it is about food quality and great, great information about eating clean. A MUST read!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For me it was books like Vince Gironda-Unleashing the Wild Physique...And Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder..As Well as The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding : Revised by Arnold Schwarzenegger..Those were the first books that changed the way I viewed nutrition. These books get in to much more then just nutrition. They realy discuss every facet of weight training and the sport of Bodybuilding. Now and days much of the nutritional methods preached by these early Weight training legends is considered a poor approach. From their high calorie high protein home made drinks to the large amounts of red meat consumed..Now and days the understanding of nutrition and training seems to have come so far compared to the 40's through the 60's of the golden era of Bodybuilding and weight training. And you can argue their methods all you want and their lack of available information that we have today. But you cannot argue their results. When it comes to building muscle and getting lean they were way ahead of their time and nobody is any better then they were...From their use of amino acids, protein powders, and suggesting carbohydrate refeed meals every 72-96 hours to replenish glycogen stores on the maximum definition diets...And the list goes on and on and on..I mean those guys wrote the book on this stuff!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    IN DEFENSE OF FOOD By Michael Pollan , this book will make you look at your "healthy" grocery options in a whole new light

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT by Dr. Gillian McKeith, she is from the UK and she is a bit extreme but has some great information and even tiny changes can help everyone!