Books that changed your outlook on NUTRITION!

Options

Replies

• annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • esherwood2
    Options
    I enjoyed the Best Life Diet by Bob Green
  • elloradannon
    Options
    Skinny Bitc$#
    The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone
    The China Study
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. It's how we should eat. :D
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love anything by Tosca Reno - Eat Clean Diet for Family & Kids, Eat Clean Diet Recharged, etc.. These are fabulous books that will take you right down to the basics and teach you about eating clean, wholesome, unrefined, unprocessed foods. And her cookbooks are awesome as well - great recipes that everyone will love!

I flipped through one of her books. I am a clean eater, but I couldn't stomach the book -- I think I saw more photos of Tosca than I did of food. Then I opened to the page where she talks about getting a breast augmentation. I had to put it down. IMHO, that just doesn't fit with the philosophy of natural living.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan is awesome, but the first book I read by him was soooo beautiful and lyrical and still all about food: The Botany Of Desire. I bought it for all my friends.

Now, these two books my be off-beat and they are NOVELS to boot, but they are great and thought provoking books about food, food production and the culture of food by Ruth L. Ozeki:
    All Over Creation
    and
    My Year Of Meats

enjoy!
  • carolynbe
    carolynbe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The Belly Fat Diet by Jorge Cruise

Trying to stick to 15 g of sugar and 120 g of carbs per day has really helped me combat cravings and over eating. It also cleared up my heartburn/acid reflux that was becoming a daily problem right away.

Two other related books I like are Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and The No-Grain Diet by Dr. Joseph Mercola.
  • nepenthes59
    nepenthes59 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had the pleasure of meeting & hearing Dr. Campbell of "The China Study" fame - you may be interested in a new documentary he is in
    http://www.nwveg.org/forksoverknives.php
  • nehptune
    nehptune Posts: 138
    Options
    this thread is a great idea! i'm adding to my list of books to read as i run through it.

i have read a few books on the politics of food that were great (and a real eye-opener:

Stuffed and Starved by Raj Patel
    Belching out the Devil by Mark Thomas (about the way Coca Cola does business)

The China Study is next in line once I have finished The New Rules of Lifting for Women (Lou Schuler) and Power Eating (Nancy Kleiner)... I figured it might make a good balance!
  • Kristyb1010
    Options
    I have nothing to add, but wanted to reply so that this would be in my topics. I am going to hit my library on the way home and look some of these up! Thank you to all who shared!

Same here! I'd like to come back to this list again & again. Thanks for sharing everyone!
  • hingebre
    Options
    bump
  • Benkorem
    Benkorem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read You: On a Diet as well and it really put things in perspective for me in terms of what happens when you eat certain foods and how your body reacts.

I've become more aware of how food makes me feel during the day and I think it's made a world of difference.

There was also a very interesting article in Men's Health this month about nutrition and common myths that I found to be helpful.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I am adding on some more books I have recently read:

The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife (Naturopathic Doctor)
    Energetics of Food by Steve Gagne
    Eat Like An Indian by Leon Worth (still reading this one)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You On a Diet by Dr. Oz.
  • Hoosier16
    Hoosier16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Living Low Carb - by Jonny Bowden

By far the best low carb/nutrition book i've read. The first half of the book does a good job explaining why a lower carb diet works (metabolically) and backs everything up with references to hundreds of studies. A very easy read.
  • green83eyes
    green83eyes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    YOU: Staying Young:happy:
  • Hotlips69
    Options
    Im reading right now The Paleo Diet
    by Loren Cordain, Ph.D! Its an amazing book if you want to eat Clean. All info is very informative and educational.
  • transparentjelly
    Options
    the every-other day diet!! GREAT book!!!