Books that changed your outlook on NUTRITION!

Options

Replies

• AmeMahoney
    Options
    Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food by Gene Baur

Vegan BodyBuilding & Fitness by Robert Cheeke

Living Among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarian's Survival Handbook by Carol J. Adams (one of the few non-confrontational approaches)
    Living Cuisine: the Art and Spirit of Raw food by Renee Loux Underkoffler
    Green Smoothie Revolution and Green for Life by Victoria Boutenka
    Sweet Gratitude (raw desserts) by Cafe Gratitude
    Eat Clean Diet Recharged by Tosca Reno (sure, it's info we've had for decades, but it's nice sometimes to have a book. This time around she at least included more vegetarian/vegan stuff).
    Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
    Eating Well Cookbook

I also read a book by Thich Nhat Hanh that talked about how we are consuming an animal's hurt and anger when we eat him (or her). Even if they are raised well, they will feel fear and confusion at the moment of death. That's always stuck with me. I go through phases of raw, vegan, vegetarian, and meat-eating.
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    I've never read books on nutrition, but will head to the library to learn some stuff.
  • bonboncito
    bonboncito Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook. I had my first copy in high school and lived by it when I rowed in college. It has great advice and she speaks in honest terms. It helped me get a grip on what and how I was eating. I still keep a copy of it around the house.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i read the omnivore's dilemma and also skinny bit*h. i want to read the china study next!

side note: i noticed a lack of swearing/lots of toned down cussing on MFP but i just thought we were an extremely polite bunch, but now i realized that they actually censor these words! i'm such a potty mouth in real life.
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Thanks! I'm currently reading The Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr. Inspiring!
  • supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    THRIVE by Brendan Brazier (especially if you want to make your own energy bars/gels). His books are 'vegan' based, but he never pushes that view. If I remember right, one of the books only had the word 'vegan' on the cover. Instead of preaching vegan, he shows you what is acidic, what is alkaline, and says to make sure most of what you eat by the end of the week is alkaline.

CHINA STUDY by T. Colin Campbell
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Book I think should be taken with a really big grain of salt:

The China Study (excellent info on Big Pharma, the food industry, and the role of diet in disease prevention; not-so-excellent bias, which leads to incorrect data analysis and misleading conclusions on vegetarianism)

Agreed - although I tried the vegan way of life for a few months before I read the "other side." I was a vegetarian for 7 years, so it wasn't a stretch for me, but I feel 1000 times better now that I'm eating grass-fed meat and eggs again.

Books that have played a huge role in my current (and most successful) weight loss:

The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
    Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
    Why We Get Fat (and what to do about it) by Gary Taubes
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump again to keep on my list
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    bump
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Dr Atkins

The Primal Blue Print

Primal Body, Primal Mind

Vegetarian Myth,

And the many, many reviews of the China Study that show Campbell to be the quack he is.
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Mindless Eating; Why we Eat More Than we Think - Brian Warsnick

Fascinating book all about the psychology of food and the reasons behind our behaviors around it.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    the 4 hour body by tim ferris.
  • blueviolet20
    blueviolet20 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    bookmarking
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    "The Vegetarian Myth" Lierre Kieth
    "In Defense of Food" Micheal Pollen
    "Good Calories Bad Calories" Gary Taubes

These books changed my life I was a 210lb vegetarian since returning to an omnivorous diet of pretty much all whole foods I have lost over 60 lbs!
  • Peromei
    Peromei Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started out with "Skinny *****", a recommendation from my sister. This book, while hilariously written, started my VERY serious thought process and change in eating habits from the crap I was putting in my system to more organic foods (and much less meat!). Keep in mind-- I'm a college student. Food is expensive. Eating healthy, however, is NOT impossible on a college budget. You just have to get creative. :)

Anyway, from there, I was led to "Slaughterhouse" by Gail Eisnitz. Really a life-changing book. It's just incredible, the things we do to animals for our own "gustatory pleasure".

I then watched "Food, Inc." and "Supersize Me" with a few weeks between each. I'm not sure which is more disgusting.

I'm on "Food for Thought" right now, which is a collection of philosophical essays which deal with the debate over vegetarianism and meat-eating, compiled by Steve Sapontzis, who is a famous, contemporary philosopher and animal rights author.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    By far the books that have helped me the most are by Dr. Michelle May "Am I Hungry" and the new and improved version "Eat What you Love, Love What You Eat".
    It changed the way I look at food, eating, nutrition, dieting, exercise, and most of all, myself. I will be forever grateful to her for opening my eyes to this whole new world where I am not a slave to diets and food. It now has its proper place in my life......food fuels my life. It doesn't rule my life. Losing weight has never been more effortless (it wasn't when I first started this) and exercise has never been more enjoyable.