Books that changed your outlook on NUTRITION!

Options

Replies

• DavisKarenR
    Options
    Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. It's how we should eat. :D

yes, yes, and yes. :-)
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bump me too! I want to go back over this list Thanks guys for posting!!
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Zeitgeist (an amazing future is possible)

This movie is fantastic!!! I have been promoting it for years!

Movies/documentaries that changed my life (not just about food):
    Food, Inc.
    Zeitgeist
    Ingredients
    The Cove
    Inside Job
    An Inconvenient Truth

Books that changed my life (not just about food):
    Frugalista
    Cinch!
    Clean
  • mmlkb4
    mmlkb4 Posts: 11
    Options
    Tosca Reno : the Eat Clean Diet
  • Made to Crave....a must read for any Christian who wants to live a healthier life!!
  • Jholt47
    Options
    Spike Diet!

I learnd I didn't have to give up foods I love to lose weight! Plus it just made sense talking about starvation mode and why we plateau on most diets.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (a Joe Cross film). It's available on Netflix. I do not believe it is available as a book and doesn't exactly meet your "book" criteria however it moved me and struck a lot of cords. It has changed my outlook on NUTRITION and I recall points from the documentary often. I have a juicer and I'm learning how to use it. I'm not ready for a CLEANSING yet...but I'm working my way to that! :flowerforyou:
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Book I think should be taken with a really big grain of salt:

The China Study (excellent info on Big Pharma, the food industry, and the role of diet in disease prevention; not-so-excellent bias, which leads to incorrect data analysis and misleading conclusions on vegetarianism)

Agreed - although I tried the vegan way of life for a few months before I read the "other side." I was a vegetarian for 7 years, so it wasn't a stretch for me, but I feel 1000 times better now that I'm eating grass-fed meat and eggs again.

Books that have played a huge role in my current (and most successful) weight loss:

The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
    Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
    Why We Get Fat (and what to do about it) by Gary Taubes

All of the above and agree with the above 100%. I also like Thin Tastes Better and The Thin Commandments from Dr. Stephen P. Gullo.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    Books
    - Good Calories, Bad Calories (don't agree with everything, but fascinating read)
    - The Paleo Diet

Books I didn't like
    - The China Study (proved nothing other than there are correlations in everything)

Movies
    - Food Inc
    - Fat Head (think he presented some theories as fact when he shouldn't have, but entertaining and nice counterpoint)
    - Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (don't 100% agree with the diet, but great story)

Movies I didn't like
    - Forks over Knives (15 minutes in and it shows an incredibly outdated model of atherosclerosis I turned it off in disgust)
    - Super size Me (seriously, you ate boat loads of calories and you got fat and sick, well no S#$% Sherlock)

Blogs (not sure if anyone has mentioned blogs)
    - http://jackkruse.com/
    - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
    - http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/cholesterol-blog.html
    - http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/
    - Honorable mention to Google Scholar and PubMed
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    Book I think should be taken with a really big grain of salt:

The China Study (excellent info on Big Pharma, the food industry, and the role of diet in disease prevention; not-so-excellent bias, which leads to incorrect data analysis and misleading conclusions on vegetarianism)

Agreed - although I tried the vegan way of life for a few months before I read the "other side." I was a vegetarian for 7 years, so it wasn't a stretch for me, but I feel 1000 times better now that I'm eating grass-fed meat and eggs again.

Books that have played a huge role in my current (and most successful) weight loss:

The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
    Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
    Why We Get Fat (and what to do about it) by Gary Taubes

All of the above and agree with the above 100%. I also like Thin Tastes Better and The Thin Commandments from Dr. Stephen P. Gullo.

+1 to all of this, I wish we'd stop wasting our time with things like the China Study and spend the money on really understanding the biochemistry of our bodies. Design experiments that uncover the mechanisms behind the trends we see in public health. Making public health recommendations based on observations skips a whole bunch of steps in the scientific process and confuses the hell out of a lot of people.
  • Bindibelle80
    Bindibelle80 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My lifechanger & bible is The Food Patrols Secret to Maximum Fat Loss in 90 Days. by George Taousanis. An outstanding book with principles you can use in every aspect of your life, not just weight loss & sustaining.
  • Devonanne
    Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The Omnivore's Dilemma!

More recently, The China Study.

I agree.
  • longoverdue
    longoverdue Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The china study and Real food.
  • wackynunu
    Options
    Dean Ornish 'Eat More, Weigh Less'

It's not an all or nothing "diet". It's just a book about making smarter decisions.

He has a newer one that is called "The Spectrum" (I think) but I only skimmed through it at the book store. It seems like the same book with more pictures.
  • CAMY_WEST
    Options
    Health via Food by William Howard Hay

any book sby Dr. John R Christopher

Dr. Mom by Sandra Ellis
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I refuse to read nutrition books. Good for you who do, but I don't want to confuse myself with all the stuff that is out there when I pretty much know the basics.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    "French women don't get fat" I forget the author. It's about portion control and enjoying your food.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    The China Study

Followed by debunkings of The China Study: http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/ and http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/China-Study.html (As well as a lot of the subsequent back and forth).
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    encyclopedia of healing foods - michael murry

not neccesarily for dieting, but has TONS of information of what to eat and what to avoid for certain diseases or infections, or just disorders. My dad has psoriasis and we found that milk products and red meat can cause it to inflame....and no doctor has ever told my dad anything like that

i have his Encyclopedia of Natural Medicines or something like that and it's one of my "go to" books.