Books that changed your outlook on NUTRITION!

Options

Replies

• priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    "Intuitive Eating" by Elyse Resch & Evelyn Tribole

It's a perfect accompaniment to any food program or diet book. It helped me dispell the "good food vs. bad food", black & white thinking that I had with food. Helped me also ferret out the "Food Police" - all those little rules I had in my head about eating different foods that I picked up throughout my life.

A quick read with sound advice.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I thought it would be nice to have a thread for books that changed the way you view health, nutrition, diet, and even life.....here are mine....

The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell - Science & results prove: change your diet and dramatically reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity.

The 80/10/10 Diet by Dr. Douglas Graham - My bible. Health, happiness, vitality, energy, love, passion, no drugs, no disease....pure bliss

John Robbins - any of his books - they are all AMAZING!!!!

The Mucusless Diet by Arnold Ehret - Ehret cured himself of Bright's disease through diet.

Mad Cowboy - (there is a movie as well) Very shocking & real. Scary.

The World Peace Diet by William Tuttle

Eat to Live & also Fasting & Eating for Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman

Ah eat to live one of my favorites as well as the abs diet every time you eat guide!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Real Food Has Curves
    http://www.realfoodhascurves.com/
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have never read a book on nutrition either so this list is great.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Anyone seen the movie "Food Fight" by Michael Pollan yet? Just put it in my Q on Netflix.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    love this thread!
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    book that changed my view on nutrition: "Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism" 5th Ed.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Advanced-Nutrition-and-Human-Metabolism/Sareen-S-Gropper/e/9780495116578/?itm=1&USRI=advanced+nutrition+and+human+metabolism

The BEST nutrition and metabolism book of all time IMHO. A difficult read, not for the novice (it's a text, not a story or self help book), but if you can understand it, you will know EVERYTHING that modern science currently knows about how the body uses food for energy, how cells process macro nutrients, how micro nutrients act as transporters and catalysts, how each and every organ and system works with regards to energy and nutrition, and all those concepts that floated around separately in your head, that you had a hard time connecting to each other, will suddenly fit together like a finished jigsaw puzzle.
  • flipnsexy
    Options
    I've only read a few.

"Body for Life" was the 1st one. Love it!
    "Skinny *****" is a really easy read but good.
    "Master your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels

Wow, Didn't realize it starred out the word to the second book haha.. It starts with a B and ends in an H! Sorry for the profanity but thats the name of the book haha
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    the omnivores dillema
  • rgalloway49
    rgalloway49 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump :-)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses. A few minutes ago I was handed "Eat This, Not That"

I haven't read the book, but I've read a lot by the author. Seems to be practical about eating in our fast food society.
  • lilmommy
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats

by Sally Fallon
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    book that changed my view on nutrition: "Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism" 5th Ed.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Advanced-Nutrition-and-Human-Metabolism/Sareen-S-Gropper/e/9780495116578/?itm=1&USRI=advanced+nutrition+and+human+metabolism

The BEST nutrition and metabolism book of all time IMHO. A difficult read, not for the novice (it's a text, not a story or self help book), but if you can understand it, you will know EVERYTHING that modern science currently knows about how the body uses food for energy, how cells process macro nutrients, how micro nutrients act as transporters and catalysts, how each and every organ and system works with regards to energy and nutrition, and all those concepts that floated around separately in your head, that you had a hard time connecting to each other, will suddenly fit together like a finished jigsaw puzzle.

I'm with you. I prefer a scientific reading of nutrition rather than a book written with a motivation to sell to dieters. I read Understanding Nutrition 11th Edition and learned more than I ever thought that I would about my body and how it interacts with food. After reading this book, I was astounding how much incorrect information you can see out there about nutrition. I'm not sure if my chemistry skills are up to reading the book you recommended without a refresher course.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Books I've read and loved:

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
    In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
    Food Politics by Marion Nestle
    Real Food by Nina Planck
    What to Eat by Marion Nestle
    Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser (this is whence the quotation in my signature comes)

Book I read and didn't like:

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (some great content, but the writing style is very smarmy and conceited)

Book I think should be taken with a really big grain of salt:

The China Study (excellent info on Big Pharma, the food industry, and the role of diet in disease prevention; not-so-excellent bias, which leads to incorrect data analysis and misleading conclusions on vegetarianism)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I'm with you. I prefer a scientific reading of nutrition rather than a book written with a motivation to sell to dieters. I read Understanding Nutrition 11th Edition and learned more than I ever thought that I would about my body and how it interacts with food. After reading this book, I was astounding how much incorrect information you can see out there about nutrition. I'm not sure if my chemistry skills are up to reading the book you recommended without a refresher course.

even if the chemistry is to much (and it's brutal), it's only for the first maybe 4 or 5 chapters, after that the chemistry is relatively light. Plus, I found that if you don't care about the actual chemical equations, you can get the gist of it anyway. There's really no need to know the chemical formula for lysine anyway. just knowing that the mitochondria is the place where ATP is gained from glucose is really what's important, not what chemicals enter the reaction, what the reactants are, and what the waste products are. I mean, it's nice to understand them, but really, I forgot most of the chemical reactions five seconds after I read it anyway. It's not really that important to know that 1 molecule of glucose gives 38 ATP units in an aerobic reaction.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    'Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle' by Tony Venuto.

It's an e-book but EVERYONE should read it. It really breaks down all those weight loss myths and is backed by lots of research. He defintiely knows his stuff as he's a world class bodybuilder but the information is not just for those who are into body building it's for everyone who wants to lose body fat.:smile::smile:

x2

x3

Add "The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition" by Anita Bean and you don't need much esle.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Gread thread, need to save this for when I need to find something to read!
  • chrysnel
    Options
    I love anything by Tosca Reno - Eat Clean Diet for Family & Kids, Eat Clean Diet Recharged, etc.. These are fabulous books that will take you right down to the basics and teach you about eating clean, wholesome, unrefined, unprocessed foods. And her cookbooks are awesome as well - great recipes that everyone will love!