WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Vince sprayed these bees in the front. Can’t remember if I told you about them or not. Anyway, there used to be a nest in the grass but all this year even with my cutting the grass never had them. Then, when they were pulling out the bushes the bees came out. I’m thinking that they were in the bushes. Anyway, it seems like they’re near the riverrock so that’s where Vince mainly sprayed.

Michele NC

Sprayed? Like to kill the bees?

:open_mouth::open_mouth:

If you don't want the bees there, call a beekeeper and have them moved.

Is it Illegal to Destroy a Beehive in the U.S. and Other Countries?
    https://www.beekeeping-101.com/is-it-illegal-to-destroy-a-beehive-in-the-u-s-and-other-countries/

• Machka9
    edited October 2021
    Options
    We picked up our bee hive kit a few days ago, so that will be next weekend's project, I think ... putting it together!

Then we'll see about getting a swarm to move in. :)

I also want to plant my blue, purple and pink flowers for the bees.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    This weekend, we hosted our Northern Nouveau series of bicycle rides: a 50 km on Friday, a 160 km on Saturday and a 100 km on Sunday.

We had fewer riders than usual but then we had the lockdown a bit earlier which made a few wary of travel throughout the state, I think. We haven't opened our borders to any other states or countries yet. And the weather wasn't predicted to be very nice.

Still, we had one brave cyclist do all three events, even on Saturday when it rained and rained all day! Some of the areas around here got about 40 mm of rain (1.6 inches) that day!

We supported the riders all three days.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Machka - Well done on the cycle hosting. I'm sure it's a lot of work, even for a reduced number. :)
    I'm with you on the bees. We run a 'wildlife' garden, encouraging insects and animals to take up residence. We have resident foxes at the end of the garden and we make piles of twigs etc for all kinds of jnsects. Our garden is 'overgrown' by conventional standards. We have loads of nesting and visiting birds as well. I love all the varieties of nature. The life of insects is fascinating.

Going to get my taxes done today. The deadline fast approaches. I don't actually pay tax, because I earn too little, but, because I am self-employed as a writer, I have to fill in a form. I could do it online, but I prefer the paper version. Most people in the UK have tax deducted automatically through Pay As You Earn, PAYE, and don't have to worry about a form.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, fire district: board meeting minutes.
    Bonus: email exchange with grant volunteers.
    Just one thing: oops
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, livestream church, zoom council meeting, practice WBW, DM, SWTD, SL, GDLL, backup files, then call pc guy to schedule tuneup, fill in booster vaccine form with Joe, fire district: research district tax exemption for volunteer firefighters, AFG grant requirements including NIMS, call NFPA cancel inactive accounts, clarify benefits included in annual dues, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS, index mutual aid files and share with L; start Part D research with new rx info, watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    23: Recognize that you have a choice about what to prioritize: chose to do minutes, at cost of activity.
    24: Write down three specific things that have gone well recently:

Spent the day on minutes, despite sore arm and headache. Reward was zoom happy hour with C and T. CI way over CO and fewest steps since June. Just skimmin’ as it feels like there’s some grit or an eyelash poking my eye. Just not up to par, oh wait, had a jab yesterday, could that be it? Packing it in and off to bed.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:23, weigh/wii: 23/3/46; steps>7228=1960 :P vits=23, log=23, CI<CO=22, CI<250<CO=18, Tumble=21, Shadow=20, mfp=23, outside=25, up hill=21, clean 10=16.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W=3, Mon:SWSY=3 , Tue:LD=3 , Wed:TC=2.87 , PW=2, Thurs: BB&B=3.2, Fri:TC=3.97, Sat:PW=3, rX x5=4.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3:141.3 10/10:141.8 10/17:141.8 :astonished: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=2, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=14, play=46 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - Well done on the cycle hosting. I'm sure it's a lot of work, even for a reduced number. :)
    I'm with you on the bees. We run a 'wildlife' garden, encouraging insects and animals to take up residence. We have resident foxes at the end of the garden and we make piles of twigs etc for all kinds of jnsects. Our garden is 'overgrown' by conventional standards. We have loads of nesting and visiting birds as well. I love all the varieties of nature. The life of insects is fascinating.

Going to get my taxes done today. The deadline fast approaches. I don't actually pay tax, because I earn too little, but, because I am self-employed as a writer, I have to fill in a form. I could do it online, but I prefer the paper version. Most people in the UK have tax deducted automatically through Pay As You Earn, PAYE, and don't have to worry about a form.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Thanks! It is almost as much work no matter how many ride because we drive all over the place and set up the food and beverages. It's just a matter of food quantity.

0yuk54v6cl6y.png

We have heaps of flowers around our place, and I've taken over one flower bed which I planted with spring flowers. Now I want to seed it with summer flowers, and I'm hoping it overflows with them. At one end, we have a bush that produces purple flowers which the bees just love ... so I'm hoping that they'll like what I plant too. :)

We have an appointment with our accountant next week to get our taxes done.

Congrats on your book!

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Just taking a few minutes to check in with y'all. Happy to report that we have had zero ill effects from our booster jabs.

Machka: <> I'm with you on the bees. We also practice wildlife friendly gardening. Bees are on the conservation radar in U.K. With so much worldwide habitat destruction, they need all the help they can get. They are a vital part of the food chain. The purple bush you have may be a buddleia.
    vykjo5mwfda7.jpg

Tracey: <> Enjoy your weekend. And especially the pedicure. Michaela is adorable. My Michaela is 55 next month 😂 and still adorable.
    Lisa: <> 'It was a day of two steps forward and one back. At least that produces a forward motion 😂 Even if it did tire you out.
    Heather: <> Bravo on getting to grips with uploading your memoir.

Breakfast time, I think.

Have a great day.
  • Machka9
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Morning all. Just taking a few minutes to check in with y'all. Happy to report that we have had zero ill effects from our booster jabs.

Machka: <> I'm with you on the bees. We also practice wildlife friendly gardening. Bees are on the conservation radar in U.K. With so much worldwide habitat destruction, they need all the help they can get. They are a vital part of the food chain. The purple bush you have may be a buddleia.
    vykjo5mwfda7.jpg

Tracey: <> Enjoy your weekend. And especially the pedicure. Michaela is adorable. My Michaela is 55 next month 😂 and still adorable.
    Lisa: <> 'It was a day of two steps forward and one back. At least that produces a forward motion 😂 Even if it did tire you out.
    Heather: <> Bravo on getting to grips with uploading your memoir.

Breakfast time, I think.

Have a great day.

Today, when I started driving away from one of the checkpoints on the cycling route after the riders had gone through, my husband pointed out that there was a bee on the windscreen. I went slowly until the wind caught it and blew it off not too far from wherever its home was. :)

That does look kind of like the bush ... these are a couple photos I've taken our bush. I should take a picture of the whole thing!

qg0pzvngcxms.png
    bgk8ccydfxyn.png

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,615 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Caught up! Rough week. Have a plan in place which I need to start on this morning, but wanted to catch up.
    Hugs to all!
    Prayers for health and healing!
    High fives for victories!
    Thankful for shares!

Love for all of your continued support!

Kylia in Ohio trying to eat the elephant one bite at a time while trying to find my inner child again.
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Machka - I think that's a Hebe.
    We have a mini wild flower 'meadow' on our lawn, where we sow all kinds of wild flowers. I love it. I often give DH wildflower seeds for his presents. This birthday he got wildflower 'bombs' that we might use to sow under the tree outside our house, to make a display. Many houses are doing that round here as the council have stopped spraying weedkiller on the pavement. (We have a Green majority)
    Next week when the grandchildren come over, we will plant our spring bulbs in our big pot outside our dining room window. Crocus and tulips. :D

I have just finished my tax return. :drinker: It took no time at all once I got started! Very happy :p:D. Now just have to post it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Even after a nap yesterday I slept pretty well thank goodness..
    The sales circular i was looking at finished yesterday so have to start 1/2 way over oh well..
    My aunt likes the Noosa lemon yogurt ,so i went on Amazon and ordered her a case ...it arrived yesterday.. she got such a kick out of it.. its the little things..
    Im seeing how long I can go without turning the heat on.. its actually been unseasonably warm here during the day..but im all electric and im trying to keep costs down..
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    BARBARA I used to like talking to strangers in line but now I think I like the quiet. :) What are the minutes for again? I'm sure you must have told us.

INSOMNIACS : all my sympathy ! I have lots! I used to be a VERY GOOD SLEEEPER till about age 45 and since then it's been sketchy!

REBECCA : your dishes sound pretty and delicious!

MICHELE I hope you cut is nothing serious!

MACHKA have fun becoming a beekeeper! How sweet to host. you look very happy in th pic.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Up early and 15 min on recumbant, 15 minutes meditating then to the café for a good 4 h of work. My teacher-friends M was there and I stopped for a break to talk with her and it was longer than I had hoped for. I love talking to her most of the time but it felt like she was going off on tangents, more than I can manage, which I don't mind when free, cause story-telling can be pleasant, but I needed to work. Not sure how long we talked. Writing details.
    I was at café from 8 to 12 and we talked for I think less than an hour. mostly me listening today but that can vary. Then back home to finish and send - so 4-5 hours work so far today. I'll probably get some correction to re-review this afternoon or evening. I think I'll write a letter and that's about it for today.
    Tomorrow I wills start a chunk that is about 70 pages. Maybe I'll ridiculously aim for 10 pages per day -since I tend to be behind goal. I'll aim for 10 and maybe on easy flow days I'll get 10 and on others 3... and maybe the balance will be 5 and I'll have some days for reviewing and editing and footnotes. (and adding in pics). next deadline for me nov 15, for corrector nov 30.

FEEL THE MUNCHIES TODAY.

Still need to get in 1h of cleaning today and keep on TRACKING.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - I think that's a Hebe.
    We have a mini wild flower 'meadow' on our lawn, where we sow all kinds of wild flowers. I love it. I often give DH wildflower seeds for his presents. This birthday he got wildflower 'bombs' that we might use to sow under the tree outside our house, to make a display. Many houses are doing that round here as the council have stopped spraying weedkiller on the pavement. (We have a Green majority)
    Next week when the grandchildren come over, we will plant our spring bulbs in our big pot outside our dining room window. Crocus and tulips. :D

I have just finished my tax return. :drinker: It took no time at all once I got started! Very happy :p:D. Now just have to post it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Hebe ... yes, I think you're right!

I put in about 300 bulbs this spring, mostly freesias. A lot of my daffodils and jonquils came up, but so far only 1 freesia has bloomed. I've see a few leaves and I'm hoping that they'll all start blooming soon.

The summer seeds will be like wildflowers. I've got a bunch of packets and I'm planning to sprinkle them at random and see what I get. :)

We use a vinegar/salt combo to tackle the grass between pavers, quite specifically, but that's it. So we do have weeds etc. elsewhere which I pull out from time to time but we won't use a commercial chemical spray. One other thing we do to reduce weeds is to make and use our own mulch from many cardboard, paper and similar products. That way, we don't have much rubbish ... we're recycling!

We've also got some composting going on, although I'm not sure where we are with that. I'll have to find out this summer.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    MACHKA have fun becoming a beekeeper! How sweet to host. you look very happy in th pic.

I'm the president of our state's branch of the cycling club, Audax Australia, so I end up hosting quite a few events. This was the last event of this year, so it's kind of like a wrap up.
    (For whatever reason, the Audax year goes from November 1 to October 31.)

But since it is spring here, this weekend's event is also like a start to the season. In past years, we've had racers and all sorts out to it because it gives them a chance to do some longer distance cycling in preparation for their other events.

Next year's calendar (starting in early November) is quite full. I have some enthusiastic volunteers! But the next one my husband and I host isn't until the beginning of December, and then ... I'll have to check the calendar ... February, perhaps.

It's good for my husband too - he helps me and talks to the cyclists. But it does tire him out.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :)Heather Congrats on publishing your book and finishing your taxes. They are both difficult tasks.

:)Machka, I'm sure all the participants appreciated all your work to prepare the event.

:)Kelly, I love reading about all the great things you do with your kids and I loved the hand holding picture

:)Michele, Congrats on 13,000 steps. You are always so busy.

:)Tracy, Lovely photo of you and your granddaughter.

:) My sleeping has been erratic for a lot of my life. I use the waking time to read or meditate so all is not lost. Yesterday I took a nap in the afternoon.

:) Today is the day that my dog walking friend sleeps in and doesn't walk with us. My Sunday walking friend will be here at 9:30 unless it is too stormy. In between we'll go to the grocery store to pick up our groceries. In the afternoon I'll watch figure skating that I have recorded on my TV. Pork chops cooked by Jake for lunch. Who could ask for anything more.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,500 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Terri
    Love that perspective - sometimes we use familiar phrases and don't look at the underlying premise. But then, when I'm with y'all, all perspectives are available on the spectrum from the optimist to the pessimist.

Rebecca

You look so much like your beautiful mother! I continue to hope that your youngest will understand that he needs to reach out. And like you, anytime I put a roast in the oven or in the crockpot, there's a veggie underneath. Potatoes that cook in the juices from the roast look very dark, but taste like heaven. And, super easy. Every photo of Athena is a good one.

Beth
    Hope your son's interview went really well.

Tracey
    I swear, I've watched every food competition that is available on Prime, Netflix, Discovery+, and anything else I can find access to. Can't watch Top Chef or anything Gordon Ramsay does, though, as they make me tense--too much drama. Especially love the Great British Baking Show; it's so much less cutthroat than most of the American competitions. Love the ornaments you're creating, love all the pictures of your grands.

Michele
    Hope the cut wasn't too serious!

Machka

Your profile picture is wonderful.

Nothing much planned for today--I try to make sure I don't plan things for the weekend, as my husband genuinely prefers to simply be home. He has a tough physical job, and the weekends are his time to relax. I do my best to make sure he can, other than the grocery shopping on Saturday morning.

Egg, on the other hand, apparently thinks I'm up to no good. I was emptying the dryer and folding clothes in the laundry room, and she came to the door, sat down, and glared at me, seriously, for ten minutes straight. When I get up again, I'll check her food and water. Cranky little kitty.

Achy and uncomfortable this morning, but this too, shall pass.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Went out for my 5k after lunch. DH was going out for a walk, so I 'ran' beside him. Last night I only had three hours sleep and I had done my morning 600, so it was hard going. Stomach a bit sore. But .... I made it all the way round!
    The sea was choppy; high tide with khaki breakers. It always does me so much good. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Morning again ladies
    Since i havent had alot of groceries in the house ive sort have adopted Rebecca's OMAD and have lost a couple lbs.. ive ordered groceries to pick up tomorrow at another store ,and Walmart on Weds..
    Have my sweater dress and boots on and ready to go