WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rebecca – We all need to vent now and then. You have good reasons. :flowerforyou: Your cooking undoubtedly keeps your menfolk happy at home. Beef and rice stew sounds divine. :smiley:

Beth – Fingers crossed for your son. I hope his interview went very well. :star:

Rita – Congrats on subbing! I hope you will enjoy it and get repeat calls. Knowing the school & kids is a huge asset. I started my teaching career as a volunteer mom at my own children’s elementary school. It opened a door for me. I went back to college to renew my teaching certificate. I taught in several elementary schools & I retired as an 8th grade social studies teacher. I enjoyed my fellow teachers and students. :smiley:

Pip – I love the photo of your dogs. It looks like Yogi was the puppy in the group. :heart:

Allie – We have two grocery stores in town that will take your order and bring it to the car for you. Several people we know use this service. I prefer to go in to the stores and make my own choices. DH & I always wear our masks in public. Our Walmart is smaller than any other I’ve been in. They do not have fresh produce available. :ohwell: I hope you are able to stay warm enough to be comfortable. :smiley:

Machka – Thanks for the bee information. DH & I cherish our honey bees, and plant things they will enjoy. We do not appreciate yellow jackets. :noway: A colony of them tried to nest in our garage attic. We blocked the crack they were coming in. That was a few years ago and we haven’t had yellow jacket trouble since then. Honey bees visit our flowers and we cherish them. Fall weather changes have sent the bees to safety. :star:

Barbie – Enjoy your dog walking time with your Sunday walking friend. I miss our sweet old dog like crazy. He was a great companion and a big loss. We hope to adopt a new pup after New Years. It is a long time to wait but walking a new pup will be fun. :heart:

Heather – Lovely that you were able to walk with your DH and enjoy the khaki color of the waves. :bigsmile:

I’m having a lovely and cozy morning watching the weather and sitting with DH.

Katla in NW Oregon

Yes he was
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Around here- honey bees are welcomed by everyone with many beekeepers that will come get swarms for free.
    It is the yellow jackets/wasps that are NOT welcome-those are very aggressive and will sting without being provoked. That is what gets them sprayed.

Debbie
    Napa ValleyCA

Oh yes ... wasps are a whole different matter!

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :) I walked in the dark and drizzle with the dogs this morning but had to cancel the 9:30 walk with my Sunday friend because of high winds and rain. It's going to be a challenge to get to 10,000 steps today.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Did the rest of the Toning Transformation DVD then went for a walk. Work tomorrow and at night ceramics. Depending how much Halloween decorations we get out today will determine if I have enough time for a walk tomorrow.

M – Vince sprayed Wasp and Hornet killer on the bees (or I should say what we thought was a nest in the ground). The landscaper told us that this would work in addition to putting gasoline in the hole. But we didn’t see any come out of the hole so I’m thinking the nest was in one of the bushes they removed. These were real small bees

Made soup for me for another day. The main reason I made it was because I wanted to get the head of cabbage out of the refrigerator. Now to figure out where in the freezer the soup will go!

Terri – so glad you didn’t have any effects from the shot. The only effect Vince and I had was a sore arm. That I can live with

Julie – I don’t think the cut is serious, thanks for your concern. The liquid bandage seems to be working.

Boo...it’s getting cooler when I take my walks. Oh well...the warmth will be here (but not too soon for me)

Tracey – I would never in a million years thought to look at a dollar store for the cups! Thanks for the idea

Kim – the nearest restaurant supply store is in Charlotte. I’ve checked for the filters for my 25 cup coffee maker. Fortunately, I still have a few. Charlotte is about an hour away.

Beth – right you are. No, I wasn’t referring to honey bees. These kind that live in the ground and are very, very small. Even the landscaper agrees that they’re more of a nuisance than anything else.

Katla – you’re not missing anything by your WalMart not carrying produce. Their produce is never that good. At least not the one by me.

Maryann UK – Welcome back! I’m so sorry for everything you’ve been thru

Lisa – Clairol to the rescue!!! I do hope things work out for your daughter

Michaela – welcome!

Off to take a shower. Finished the outdoor Halloween decorations. So glad for such beautiful weather. In the 70’s each day. Hope it is this way for Friday.

Michele NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,526 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Awe, thank you. You know when I went in August to visit my eldest sister Pam, I decided one night to make her dinner. So it was just some sausages and hash brown potatoes, and scrambled eggs. So I was flitting here and there because its not always the easiest to cook in someone else's kitchen and she started getting teary over on the couch. She said, " you just look so much like Mom"! What a comfort this is to hear! She was really tired, and was just going to have cereal, so I was like...you need a hot meal. It was also the fact that someone was doing for her, something that doesn't happen very often. I wish I lived closer to her and could pamper her more often!
    I got a card for youngest son, and my eldest son here wrote a nice letter enclosed were some stickers to put on his laptop, or car. It was sweet. Granted I gave him the paper and told him to, but still he did it without prompting. I know I know, he's a grown *kitten* man, but I still cater to him a wee bit. We don't do much on the weekends either, poor son has a physically demanding job as well, so he pretty much sleeps until 1 or 2 pm. We try to keep a fairly quiet house, don't do laundry until we hear him in the shower, etc. So no wild sexual escapades! *snorts*😂😂
    Rebecca
    Washington

Last weekend when I was with mom I made sure to cook all the meals(I always do) and she was so appreciative of every one, especially the dinner Sunday night. I roasted two chickens(we got them at food program so I cooked her's and mine, and brought mine home). Steamed some broccoli she had picked the day before, a green salad and a couple baked potatoes to share with my friend that was out helping us pick the tomatoes. Mom can't eat many things right now- on an anti-inflamitory diet so no tomatoes/potatoes/peppers/dairy/caffeine/sugar/grains/.....
    So I made a nice comforting meal for us after a very long day working in the garden until it was raining too much to pick any more.

Meals don't have to be fancy, they just need to be made with love and others will enjoy them

I love cooking, especially when it is appreciated. To be able to do that for mom makes me feel so good. Need to go up more often and do it for her. And to make sure I clean up after my self-(something my sister never did- cooked a lot for clients but then left the dishes for mom- sometimes there was left overs for mom, sometimes not)

Cooking for family is the one thing that is purely your time, and I know when I make brownies for youngest son I try to stir as much love in them as I can! Regarding my sisters visit, I tried to clean up as much as she'd let me. It was hard because she doesn't have a dishwasher yet, and I wasn't sure where things went. Hard to wash dishes when the dryer area was full of clean ones. I'd rather sit with her than deal with dishes anyway.💖👍
    Rebecca
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rebecca – We all need to vent now and then. You have good reasons. :flowerforyou: Your cooking undoubtedly keeps your menfolk happy at home. Beef and rice stew sounds divine. :smiley:

Beth – Fingers crossed for your son. I hope his interview went very well. :star:

Rita – Congrats on subbing! I hope you will enjoy it and get repeat calls. Knowing the school & kids is a huge asset. I started my teaching career as a volunteer mom at my own children’s elementary school. It opened a door for me. I went back to college to renew my teaching certificate. I taught in several elementary schools & I retired as an 8th grade social studies teacher. I enjoyed my fellow teachers and students. :smiley:

Pip – I love the photo of your dogs. It looks like Yogi was the puppy in the group. :heart:

Allie – We have two grocery stores in town that will take your order and bring it to the car for you. Several people we know use this service. I prefer to go in to the stores and make my own choices. DH & I always wear our masks in public. Our Walmart is smaller than any other I’ve been in. They do not have fresh produce available. :ohwell: I hope you are able to stay warm enough to be comfortable. :smiley:

Machka – Thanks for the bee information. DH & I cherish our honey bees, and plant things they will enjoy. We do not appreciate yellow jackets. :noway: A colony of them tried to nest in our garage attic. We blocked the crack they were coming in. That was a few years ago and we haven’t had yellow jacket trouble since then. Honey bees visit our flowers and we cherish them. Fall weather changes have sent the bees to safety. :star:

Barbie – Enjoy your dog walking time with your Sunday walking friend. I miss our sweet old dog like crazy. He was a great companion and a big loss. We hope to adopt a new pup after New Years. It is a long time to wait but walking a new pup will be fun. :heart:

Heather – Lovely that you were able to walk with your DH and enjoy the khaki color of the waves. :bigsmile:

I’m having a lovely and cozy morning watching the weather and sitting with DH.

Katla in NW Oregon

Tonight was ramen made with my signature chicken broth, threw in soy sauce, sesame oil, and a squirt of wasabi paste. Then just shredded some chicken as well. That was for eldest son, Lee had a TV dinner as he isn't keen on ramen. I had some of the soup part, with chicken and some white beans I had.
    I try.💖👍
    My eldest sons letter to his brother was so sweet. I hope he answers us all back!
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Michaela_LaGata, welcome, this is a great band of ladies, we have all been together for some time, but always liking new members! Many talk of things other than weightloss, but we steer away from politics and religion💖👍. Where are you from? I am from Whidbey island in the Puget Sound in Washington State. Husband of 37 years and I rent a house with our active duty Navy son, we're retired Navy. I have one married, veteran son in Vancouver WA, and our youngest active duty Navy son is stationed in Japan. We are both retired and kind of fiddle-fart thru life.🙃😁💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Whidislander
    Options
    I love my word fiddle-fart.....🙃😁
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,012 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I thought that I would share a couple of pictures my DH took while harvesting beets. They are about a half hour away from the Canadian border.
    w8nazgoitfxj.jpg
    akht105lfcda.jpg

I have never seen the northern lights as beautiful as that!

<3 Mary from Minnesota/ Arizona

your pictures are AMAZING!!!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,615 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited October 2021
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – Vince sprayed Wasp and Hornet killer on the bees (or I should say what we thought was a nest in the ground). The landscaper told us that this would work in addition to putting gasoline in the hole. But we didn’t see any come out of the hole so I’m thinking the nest was in one of the bushes they removed. These were real small bees

Michele NC

Important pollinator bees. :(

I'm very surprised at the landscaper. I can hardly believe he advised you to kill bees. :( He should have put you in touch with your local beekeeping association.

I hope they did survive.

https://entomology.cals.cornell.edu/extension/wild-pollinators/native-bees-your-backyard/

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-many-species-native-bees-are-united-states?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

https://efotg.sc.egov.usda.gov/references/public/SC/Bee_Basics_North_American_Bee_ID.pdf

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Home again from our little get-away and my leave is almost finished. Back to work and busy times tomorrow.

There are heaps of things coming up which I need to attend to. I'll be organising myself this evening.

The first of those things has just beeped! I tossed a load of laundry in as soon as we unloaded so I've got to hang it up now. :)

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Welcome Michaela! :D What kind of writing group do you belong to? It sounds as if you have a very busy life. Caring for our own health has to be a priority as we get older, doesn't it.

Lisa - Sorry about your daughter's troubles. There's always something. :o DH's daughter is stressed about a new lease for her apartment which may land her in big money commitments, which she hasn't got. He gets very stressed over her, which is perfectly understandable. Especially as he helped her with the purchase. :#

I was awake very early. Working on CALM. B) Smile, Breathe, Be Present in the Moment. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx