WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Woof... long day.. but ol Allie kept busy.. i just feel bad for Alfie as he was by himself most of the day.. i ran to Costco and Walmart this morning,and like I said Costco as it was the grand opening opened at 8 rather than 10,so it was a mad house.. but i handled it well..
    Theni came home for about 45 minutes and got most of the leaves out of my patio,i used my blower but finally had to resort to the rake.. then went up to the school to pick up Carmine. To busy chatting with friends not watching for me so i had to get out of the car and walk up to where they were and wave him down sheesh... and he plugged into his phone with headphones on and basically ignored me.
    I tried asking a few questions saying this is all new to me and if I have to introduce you to people how do i do that should i just say this is my grandchild Carmine.. and he said yes.. and i changed my contact in the phone to that and showed him so im not a total.yutz.. and got him McDonald's on the way home..so grandma isnt so bad..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Beth – I hope your mom gets to see your dad. I’m sure that will make the both feel better. And woo hoo for your son. That’s awesome. I’d return the shirt and say that there was false advertising.

Karen VA – I remember FIL saying that if you need to go to the hospital, go in an ambulance. Vince and I went to the ER one time a while ago and we sat there for about 8 hours while everyone who came in an ambulance got taken care of before us, regardless of the fact that we were there first. Even for a copperhead bite, next time go in an ambulance. Even if you really don’t need it, use it. We learned the hard way.

M – best of thoughts for your family. How scary for you!

I think I may be coming down with a cold. But I go for my prolia tomorrow and then Thurs. for my physical. I think I’ll just tell them (if they ask) that my voice is raspy and my nose is running because of my sinuses. I really don’t want to cancel the MD appt, especially since I know it isn’t COVID. I'm going to have some tea with honey right now.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    The ISLAND Project is the world's largest dementia prevention study.

The Island Study Linking Ageing and Neurodegenerative Disease (ISLAND) Project will involve a range of studies that relate to understanding who is at most risk of dementia and how we can self-manage risk behaviours to build resilience to dementia.
    https://island.mooc.utas.edu.au/

This is from their most recent newsletter:

9vgk7djuqp8u.png
    https://island.mooc.utas.edu.au/page/33/newsletters

I have signed up for the study and have also taken the Understanding Brain Injury course. If I can fit it into my schedule, I may take the Dementia courses next year.

Machka in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,762 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Rebecca, What they say in Al-Anon about the alcoholic is that you didn't cause it, you can't fix it and and you can't control it. Put your emotional energy into someone who you can help (like your hubby, sons, granddaughter, pen pals, us, for example).

Yep, it was interesting I was thinking "wow I wish I could vent to my elder sister about this", then she rang me up.💖👍. I was like, " did your sisterly spidey senses go off and you knew you needed to call me"? Yes I most definitely will put my energies into other avenues.💖.
    Hugs
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    got back in town just in time to pick up my daycare girl. Unloaded the car after I picked her up, stopped and played at the park with her friend(her friend wasn't there last week because she was sick, before that it rained on the days we usually would see her).
    Had a nice but unproductive weekend with mom. That was kind of nice. She was tired after we did food program at church Saturday because she was up at 4 AM- she napped with the tv on-(loud and a CSI marathon-she only seems to watch ION TV channel- CSI, Criminal Minds, which was on all yesterday, Friday was Hawaii 5-0)
    I met the guy that lives in his motor home on her property- he is getting a bit too comfortable being there, comes on in the house, sits down and stays there for a few hours- usually coming in at meal time. Didn't get the hint to go back to his place when she was falling asleep. That is just rude and a bit creapy to me.
    Yesterday I took her to church, shopping and then back to the church for a meeting at 2. Got home did some chores that needed to be done- didn't get dinner(our only meal of the day yesterday) until almost 6PM
    I did get a bag of pomegranites picked to bring home(then picked more this morning before heading home for mom and a friend of her's)

27ats4wzhz83.png

need to catch up on reading here while I have a cup of tea.
    Zumba tonight.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

I have never seen such a huge pomegranate. What is the deal with the guy on your mom's land, and comes in for hours mostly around mealtime? How did he end up there? Has he been there for a while. Any plan for next step for him? sorry if you have already answered this!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    REBECCA I'm sorry about your sister. Addiction is hard to understand, and get over. Some people have the strength, will, disposition, genetics or whatever to get over it and others have much less (or make the wrong choices) and succumb to it. It's really hard to watch.

CLOTHES IN RESTAURANTS, I worked for about a year and a half in a restaurant when in early 20s: I also had to wash clothes after every session. Though I was a waitress and it was health y restaurant they had fried tempura and maybe for that reason I don't know, my clothes always smelled like cooked oil when I got home from even a short shift...

Nice 1h work session in café yesterday early evening. I had two glasses of wine which is very very rare for me these days, (in the past few months I've only had 2 glasses of hard cider) and it put me in a upbeat mood.

Writing has been going less well over the past days and that's hard to deal with.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    For those of us who are lucky enough to be able to share our lives with our grandchildren, this is an interesting article. It's certainly true for me. I loved my own children, but I rarely took great pleasure in them.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/nov/17/grandmothers-may-be-more-connected-to-grandchildren-than-to-own-offspring

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Slept pretty well got up and fed the pup and now going to do my pill box.. which is always a chore...
    I have texted Tracy a couple times and ahe hasn't responded but i am using Carminr and him and i dont know if that is throwing her off or not.. but we bave to get used to it right now..
    Going to try and work on the afghan today and not get myself upset over it..
    Tomorrow i have to pick Carmine up at school and take him to his guitar lesson as Tracy has a drs appointment
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    KJ and Tracey - Lovely words from both of you about grandparenting. To be honest, I never knew I had it in me. <3:)<3

KJ - Wow! I've never heard that from Amazon before. Thanks so much for persevering. o:) much appreciated.

Bought Edie a nice top for Christmas with sparkly bits. Just saw it and thought of her. Not too girly and young, but still partyish and different. She is very athletic and active and a footballer.

DH is expecting a scheduled phone call from his daughter any minute.

Must try printing out my seagull card soon.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ Is this a sure thing about Carmine or could she/he just be exploring what has become a topic that is talked about a lot now-a-days? I am sure that having the baby come has brought about a lot of changes in the home life for all concerned. Just something I wonder about!

Carol in GA
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Well, Kirby is on a roll, he wants to buy a new refrigerator, stove, washer and dryer. Already ordered the frig that should be here on Sunday. My brother wants and will take our old one and probably the washer n dryer when we are ready. Kirby wants a stackable. He also wants an induction stove, I think he ordered that already too. Let the buying begin. Merry Christmas to him
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1731831okn9qoxh0o.gif