WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Accountability:
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, made up last Wednesday’s T’ai Chi, started learning Homesick Heart, line danced 30 mins.
    Bonus: Lone Ranch with T and Shadow, finished laundry, grant emails.
    Just one thing: 40 minutes filing.
    Do good December
    8: Do something helpful for a friend or family member:

After Lone Ranch beach walk with T, and power line, another 15 mins playing games in the office for breakfast kibble. Be consistent Barbara!

Allie thanks for the Twining’s Christmas Tea recommendation. My favorite seasonal is Celestial Seasonings Nutcracker Sweet, but haven’t seen it in the stores the past two years. Stick to your guns!
    Katla one of the major downsides to livestreaming church is I cannot escape hearing how truly bad I sound when singing. A heartbreaker as I love to sing, but when I do return, I’ll spare my pew buddies. ;`{
    Carol neither have I put up any decorations. Thought about it a little today but …
    Heather how very scary that your friend is being so careless of potential permanent eye damage, all to “carry coals to Newcastle” If you can’t persuade her to lighten her loads, can she use a porter or do curbside check in?
    Vickie prayers for Friday’s appointment. So glad you had laughter and good company at the Women’s Christmas party. Laughter can be so very healing.
    Mary thanks for sharing the good news about your family.
    Betsy ((hugs)) prayers and more ((hugs))
    Michele like your koi, has an ancient Asian look, very appropriate.
    Lisa your pot roast sounds yummy. Not just less expensive, but more wholesome than packaged lunch meat. Corey is a lucky guy.
    Rebecca those brownies look NAUGHTY :naughty:
    Welcome @deniserzaj from New Jersey. Would you let us know what you’d like to be called?
    Pip lucky Yogi to have such a sweater. Did he get tangled up in his leash?
    Machka I’d want you to be my advocate in whatever I faced. You are invincible.
    Margaret while waiting to get in to see the holistic vet, try giving Drew some canned pumpkin. Bland, easy on the gut, good fiber to help restore balance. Some breeds are sensitive to heartworm preventatives, our dogs get Interceptor instead of Heartguard/Ivermectin for that reason (Tumble is a Skye Terrier, Shadow has border collie in the mix.)

Just heard we didn’t get the grant to pay for security upgrades to our fire house. Disappointed. Will try again next year. Learned of a seismic retrofit grant, but I hesitate. Application requires Engineer's preliminary evaluation (at what co$t, if there is even a seismic engineer available within 100 miles) and a Benefit/Cost analysis I don’t feel qualified to perform. We’ll see what the Chief and board say tomorrow night.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
    chp25i2315g4.gif

No, not tangled, maybe u were looking at the gentle leader he had on around his nose?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka & Rita— Your comments about brain damage from accidents or injuries reminded me of Muhammad Ali, also known as Cassius Clay. His boxing career left him in sad circumstances. Brain injuries are so hard for the person and the family. 💔
  • Katla49
    Options
    Barbara — As my mom said long ago, I can’t carry a tune in a bucket. In elementary school I was put in the back row of the choir—the excuse was my being tall. The truth was my inability of singing tunefully. 😳
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Michelle--On home page at the top is a picture of an envelope. Click on that and brings up messages. I just put her user name in and sent the message. I just sent you a message so there should be a 1 by that box. Hope it works as sometimes I have problems too. You Koi fish is pretty.

Katla--The Christmas ships parade sounds so pretty. I would so enjoy that as I love driving around looking at Christmas lights.

Pip--Love Yogi's Christmas sweater. Every puppy needs one. So many pretty lights on your walk.

Well I have a noon zoom meeting and I am not thrilled. Have I said before I am not a meeting person. Yesterday there was one I spaced off so they called me and that set the mood for the whole meeting. I pissed off the security supervisor, which I did not mean to do, so had to do damage control this morning first thing. Don't ask my idea if you don't want to hear my honest answer.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE Where it is to get to 53 degrees today before snow on Friday. <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Finally got a few lights up on the outside tree
    It flashes in different sequences and changes colours all the time, so taking a photo is a challenge, but I did my best. :p
    c4k4lbaswgw8.jpg
    Couldn't reach the top! It's grown so much in the three years we've been here. A small effort, but better than the nothing I did last year. :p
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.

Love, Imperfectly Perfect Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Options
    Vicki— We enjoyed driving through lighted neighborhoods when I was a child. We did the same when we were raising our own children. I am looking forward to the Christmas Ships event here. It was missing the past few years due to CoVid worries. The boats are not huge ships. People light up their family fishing boats, pleasure boats & sailboats. They form a parade that goes through our town. In past years they also visited a town down river from us. I expect they will go back to Portland through the Multnomah Channel the next day.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,392 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Heather, saw your tree, and then I went to this website that I find hilarious and typed in five random numbers. Here's their version of the critic's description of your tree... :smiley: (Critical Phrase Generator)

"It should be added that the optical suggestions of the spatial relationships endanger the devious simplicity of the remarkable handling of light."

I love gobble-de-gook.

Happy Christmas!
    Lisa in AR
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)<3o:):)
  • Katla49
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Friends- I am now happily connected to the group via my computer. I am not a big fan of trying to type on my phone. I feel great to be here now. I have been using my phone and the difficulty is typing on a tiny surface. YAYYY!

Heather and Lisa – Our Christmas tree is a living Alberta Spruce. I will begin to bring it indoors today. It will spend some time in the garage before it comes into the house. It is about five feet tall to the tip, counting the pot it is in. Sitting on the chest in front of the living room window will raise it another two feet. :star: The real work comes when I go up into the garage attic to bring down boxes of ornaments.

Heather – I like the magic of your fireplace ornament. Beautiful!

Rebecca – I hope your granddaughter gets a great care giver.

Margaret – I’m happy for you that Drew is eating again.

Machka – I was away from home without my computer for two weeks while we went to see our son and his family in Virginia. Trying to get caught up here has not been as easy as I expected. I had very little access to the internet while I was away. That time was spent with the family.

Peach – My mom made fruitcake from that recipe. She and dad loved it. She made extra as gifts to her sisters for the holidays.

Terri – Congrats on your grandson’s graduation.

Pip- Beautiful tree!!!

Allie – Your lawyer is a gem! Take every word of her advice about dealing with Tom.

Heather – Your daughter-in-law is lovely and the photos of her with the children at the ice rink is wonderful.

Rita - I am thrilled for the kids that you teach. You are a bright spot in difficult times for many of them.

Karen – It is good seeing you here! DH & I spent 3 nights in a hotel room in Richmond, and our son requested we self-isolate as much as possible. He was trying to keep his wife and children safe. We did as he asked. Perhaps we can meet in person in a different time when Covid worries are not a huge worry.

Mary – I am delighted that your nephew is out of the hospital. :heart:

Lisa – The Christmas Ship event has been going on for many years and it is fun to watch. The participants are amazingly generous with their time. I think it must bring them pleasure.

Rebecca - YUM!!! Your men will love this treat.

Pip – I love your and Kirby’s home, and your dog. You are a lucky woman.

Barbara – I love to hear wonderful songs, but I do not sing at all well. I don’t seem to be able to sing on key. ;ohwell: I hope your home is not bothered by the off shore quakes, and that they stay off shore!.

Annie – We had flu shots two weeks before our third Phizer vaccinations. It wasn’t horrible.

Rita – Thanks for your good advice.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Barbara I will check into inceptor. I have pumpkin she will take some if I hand feed her.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Heather- Johnny's Shepards pie looks divine ,i bet it was splendid.. I used to make it for Tom ,mine never looked that good..
    Well i went and picked up the crochet hook,and stopped at Aldi
    I bought Trudy a 25.00 gift card her birthday is Saterday and that is one of her favorite places to shop..she has been a dear friend to me.. I probably should have gotten a larger amount but its the thought that counts..
    Im working on Tracys afghan now.. so far so good.here is hoping I dont mess up..
    And enjoying a cup of Twinings Christmas tea
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Yy
  • Katla49
    Options
    Allie - With crocheting and knitting, little booboos can be fixed. I've unravelled a bit more than once, and brought it back as it should have been. My mom taught me to knit and crochet. It was good mom and daughter time for us both, and I learned how to do things. Mom has been gone a long time, and I still cherish the skills she helped me to learn. :heart:
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    So lots of you use paper. yay I am not alone. It's partly a generational thing I'd say. it seems likely that at times we will be without electricity or web... good to have some stuff.

Barbara wow I hope you stay safe with the mild earthquakes. I'm sorry about the grant! :| I had a very short meeting across town but the person was very late so it took for ever. I'm tucked in.
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Love Yogi's Christmas sweater.
    Barbara, Yikes on those numerous earthquakes.....Scary
    Shepard's Pie....Yummm!

Betsy in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    I'm incubating a cold. Boo! I'll sleep upstairs tonight so I don’t disturb DH with blowing my nose and snuffling and sneezing. I'm seeing my brother and his wife on Friday. I will tell them and I hope they don't cancel. They've both just recovered from terrible colds that put them in bed. If I'm really dreadful, I won't go.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Lisa in AR

He talks a lot - that's a frontal lobe damage thing: lots of rather uninhibited quite negative talk. I have to rein him in sometimes when we're out in public. And if he talks about specific people, they usually end up dead by the end of the story. "I knew someone who owned a house here, blah, blah, blah ... but he's dead now."

It gets so negative sometimes, I just listen with one ear in case I have to say, "uh-huh" occasionally.

But knowing where the conversation will go, I can't bring up anything in the news to discuss over dinner and even things that happen at work are often not "safe" topics as he'll go off on a rant and start accusing various people I work with of things like drug use etc. So I keep my day and my thoughts to myself most of the time.

M in Oz

That is exactly what I do to my DH. You are describing him to a T! He must be suffering from the same type of brain injury your DH has!

Another day with 8/9 year olds. I feel bad for these kids. They all have very bad family lives.

RvRita in Roswell NM

Boxing is notorious for brain injury. It's a horrible "sport".

Frontal lobe damage can happen quite easily, it's a common area to damage, and it doesn't take much to cause quite a bit of damage.

In my husband's case, he has a small area of damage in his frontal lobe, and a large area of damage in his left temporal lobe, plus a diffuse axonal injury which are "dots" of damage scattered everywhere. All those areas are damaged enough that they are "dead" and show up on MRIs as scar tissue.

So the uninhibited, negative talking is one of his many symptoms.

uycjh65vrdoa.png
    31i0bcmx9a0t.png

auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka how could the possum get into Rhody’s catio? Can you secure it? What a distressing aspect of TBI, having to cope with negative talk and limit your topics of conversation. Do you have anyone else you can talk to without having to pre-edit?

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

Right now, the door is just tied shut when Rhody is in there. We'll try to get a latch or something to make it more secure. I put Rhody on his leash last night and Inspector Rhody did an investigation of where the intruder got into our property and where it went. There was much sniffing. He's like a bloodhound!

I've been coping with the negative talk and limiting my topics of conversation now for about 3.5 years. I discovered this was going to be an issue early on after his accident.

I don't really have anyone else to talk to. Most of the time that doesn't bother me - I've always kept to myself. But sometimes, I'd like to sit down and have a good discussion with someone. It would be nice to have a decision making talk with someone at times - one of those talks where you weigh up the pros and cons of something with the other person helping you brainstorm and providing ideas you hadn't thought of ....

But the cycling events we organise are good for him because he'll talk to the cyclists about their bicycles and things cycling-related for a while, and that's positive ... as long as he doesn't get too tired.

And I can usually talk about gardening with him, and take him to garden centres and things. Even building our footpath had him talking about building our footpath which was also positive.

When we do anything bee related, he'll talk about bees and bee-related things. So that's good too.

So I'm learning what works.

M in Oz

Wouldn't it be nice to just have a conversation without thinking three thoughts ahead- If I say this, then they will get up set about it, If I say this......
    It is totally and completely exhausting.