WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Carol – I find that looking at other’s diaries gives me ideas. Like someone (and I don’t remember who) had pineapple and I realized that I hadn’t had pineapple in a long time. I seem to be able to view other’s diaries from my homepage. The only problem I have is when I go back to the homepage, it doesn’t take me to where I was, it takes me somewhere above where I was.

Worked this morning. I went in early since I think we should go to the Newcomer general meeting. Anyway, one gal there thought I didn’t work on Wed. so she had Jerry (he’s the mentally-challenged one) start my prep. He did most of the onions (that I had peeled yesterday so I wouldn’t have to do it today). He was very proud of the fact that he had put the lettuce I chopped yesterday in anticipation of today into the container (I still needed to fill more). He showed me how the floor was so clean and he was slicing the tomatoes. Only there were parts of the tomato you don’t use. And you do put the tomatoes at least in water to wash them off. Of course the floor was clean. He had just started and he didn’t do the lettuce which makes the most mess. But he tried, I just told him how nice he did the onions. And thanked him for all his help. Well, I did get out of there earlier than usual. So I did drive him home and then we went to the general meeting. Had too any cookies while we were there.

We haven’t been to the airport (where the meetings are held) in over a year. I was asked if I would have Rummikub at the airport during the day. Also, would I run mahjongg at the airport during the day. First of all, I don’t want to make a commitment for during the day. I want to go in the pool. Also, I don’t like the airport. It would be a real hassle. You need a certain amount of people to buy the dinner there in order to get the room for free. Which means I would have to keep track of how many people, and what do I do if someone doesn’t pay? No, I don’t want to be bothered with that. Rummikub and mahjongg are games, and I want to enjoy them.

Bowling tonight. To me, this is enjoyable. We have fun, and to me that’s what it’s about

I have come to the conclusion that Jerry has a bad temper if he feels overwhelmed. Like I don’t like to ask him to put away the lettuce and get the pickles. I need to ask him to do just one thing at a time.

Barbara – I’ve always said if they want to clear the church out real fast, just have me sing in the choir. I’ll do almost any other volunteer thing. I just realized that Christmas is about 2 weeks away. There is no way Vince is going to get done all that he wants to do. I kept thinking that he needed to get started earlier, I had us bring in the decorations from the garage into the house in September. I would have thought he should have had the upstairs trees (at least the one in the living room and kitchen) all done except for maybe putting the popcorn on. But he didn’t. I realized we don’t really have much white out by the pool, so that fish being mainly white will be good. I probably should have used more of the red.

Speaking of Christmas – remember I told you how I was sure Denise would come up with an excuse why she couldn’t come here. Well, the excuse is that “money is tight”. Funny, every time we go up there Pete tells us all about how well he’s doing and how his boss is going to retire and make him captain. This was supposed to happen in August. I would think if it had, we would have known about it. Denise would have posted something on Facebook at least. But that didn’t happen.

Anyway, seems her car needed a new battery and Pete’s was leaking transmission fluid so they’re looking for a new vehicle for him. How that affects their ability to come down here is a mystery to me. The fact (as I see it) is that Denise is overwhelmed with PJ and working full time. It’s just easier to stay home rather than planning and going somewhere overnight. Vince is going to give this a few days and then text her saying how they can come in her car. I told him that she was going to text him a birthday wish, and she did. Mark my words, she’s not going to come. And if she does say that she is, she’s going to change her mind at the last minute like she did before.

Just got back from Aldi.

Barbara – Stay in touch. We’ll be worrying about you. How scary!!!

pip – love the “lights” on Yogi. Do they maybe use one of those small batteries? It looks like sometimes a few are on and a few others are off

katla – my grandmother was a fantastic crocheter. How she wanted to teach me to crochet! To this day I regret my not wanting to have anything to do with that “old lady” stuff. What a know-it-all teenager I was!!!

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Carol – I find that looking at other’s diaries gives me ideas. Like someone (and I don’t remember who) had pineapple and I realized that I hadn’t had pineapple in a long time. I seem to be able to view other’s diaries from my homepage. The only problem I have is when I go back to the homepage, it doesn’t take me to where I was, it takes me somewhere above where I was.

Worked this morning. I went in early since I think we should go to the Newcomer general meeting. Anyway, one gal there thought I didn’t work on Wed. so she had Jerry (he’s the mentally-challenged one) start my prep. He did most of the onions (that I had peeled yesterday so I wouldn’t have to do it today). He was very proud of the fact that he had put the lettuce I chopped yesterday in anticipation of today into the container (I still needed to fill more). He showed me how the floor was so clean and he was slicing the tomatoes. Only there were parts of the tomato you don’t use. And you do put the tomatoes at least in water to wash them off. Of course the floor was clean. He had just started and he didn’t do the lettuce which makes the most mess. But he tried, I just told him how nice he did the onions. And thanked him for all his help. Well, I did get out of there earlier than usual. So I did drive him home and then we went to the general meeting. Had too any cookies while we were there.

We haven’t been to the airport (where the meetings are held) in over a year. I was asked if I would have Rummikub at the airport during the day. Also, would I run mahjongg at the airport during the day. First of all, I don’t want to make a commitment for during the day. I want to go in the pool. Also, I don’t like the airport. It would be a real hassle. You need a certain amount of people to buy the dinner there in order to get the room for free. Which means I would have to keep track of how many people, and what do I do if someone doesn’t pay? No, I don’t want to be bothered with that. Rummikub and mahjongg are games, and I want to enjoy them.

Bowling tonight. To me, this is enjoyable. We have fun, and to me that’s what it’s about

I have come to the conclusion that Jerry has a bad temper if he feels overwhelmed. Like I don’t like to ask him to put away the lettuce and get the pickles. I need to ask him to do just one thing at a time.

Barbara – I’ve always said if they want to clear the church out real fast, just have me sing in the choir. I’ll do almost any other volunteer thing. I just realized that Christmas is about 2 weeks away. There is no way Vince is going to get done all that he wants to do. I kept thinking that he needed to get started earlier, I had us bring in the decorations from the garage into the house in September. I would have thought he should have had the upstairs trees (at least the one in the living room and kitchen) all done except for maybe putting the popcorn on. But he didn’t. I realized we don’t really have much white out by the pool, so that fish being mainly white will be good. I probably should have used more of the red.

Speaking of Christmas – remember I told you how I was sure Denise would come up with an excuse why she couldn’t come here. Well, the excuse is that “money is tight”. Funny, every time we go up there Pete tells us all about how well he’s doing and how his boss is going to retire and make him captain. This was supposed to happen in August. I would think if it had, we would have known about it. Denise would have posted something on Facebook at least. But that didn’t happen.

Anyway, seems her car needed a new battery and Pete’s was leaking transmission fluid so they’re looking for a new vehicle for him. How that affects their ability to come down here is a mystery to me. The fact (as I see it) is that Denise is overwhelmed with PJ and working full time. It’s just easier to stay home rather than planning and going somewhere overnight. Vince is going to give this a few days and then text her saying how they can come in her car. I told him that she was going to text him a birthday wish, and she did. Mark my words, she’s not going to come. And if she does say that she is, she’s going to change her mind at the last minute like she did before.

Just got back from Aldi.

Barbara – Stay in touch. We’ll be worrying about you. How scary!!!

pip – love the “lights” on Yogi. Do they maybe use one of those small batteries? It looks like sometimes a few are on and a few others are off

katla – my grandmother was a fantastic crocheter. How she wanted to teach me to crochet! To this day I regret my not wanting to have anything to do with that “old lady” stuff. What a know-it-all teenager I was!!!

Michele NC

It was a cheap one that used a small battery, it died already one of the wires got loose
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    I spent the first part of the evening reading the Saga covid rules. They have hugely changed since we booked and we have had no notification from them. I had no idea of the new requirements until I read them on the website. I think they should have let us know. DH is especially put out as he is allergic to apps etc. I will download the NHS app, which shows your vaccination status, but he is reluctant. He doesn't even have online registration at the GP surgery, which I do. He will be able to get a scannable printable pdf from the NHS website before sailing. I hope he changes his mind and registers for the app. He will have to register at the GP first though, I believe.
    All kinds of requirements with forms, tests before and on board, masks etc. He is not a happy bunny.
    Things may be totally different by March! Who knows what will happen. It's a shame we have to pay our balance by Monday. He doesn't want to cancel though. I just hope our money is safe.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    Just booked my first train ticket online, with an eticket on my phone. That means I don't have to go to Hove station to get a ticket in advance. Our very local station only has a machine on the wrong platform for me , so this is a good step forward. No last minute panic and a short walk to the station.

DH is cooking dinner tonight 😋. Shepherds Pie.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

Shepherds pie sounds really good(and having someone else make it sounds even better) :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :) The plumber is here installing a new faucet in the kitchen, Jake has taken Sasha to the vet for her yearly wellness visit, Bessie is watching from under the table, and I am riding my exercise bike and reading about all your adventures. I love the photos of holiday lights and decorations

:)Michele, I know you won't go see your daughter for Christmas because Vince won't leave his holiday decorations so why don't you send your daughter $$$ so she and her family can visit you?

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Ive been crocheting for the last 4 hrs and my hands are starting to cramp lol
    So I might have to stop for the night...
    Going to my knit and stitch tomorrow and thats about it.. and friday drs appointment and my son wants me to take him for his booster.. so mom will take him.. im sure he will want taco bell for lunch- yuck
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka - I have admired your ability to help your DH, work in a challenging career, and stay in a lovely home you have managed well. You are a remarkable woman. ⭐️
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Katla, yes I hope she does too! I wished we lived closer to Vancouver WA, but I also love Whidbey, and its simple living. Vancouver is quite crowded, and too close to Portland OR. I have to be confident that my kids will choose a great person. I can't be their solution, and go back down after Christmas, because as Lee stated, "you are a married person (to me)", staying there wouldn't solve the situation.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Well boxes are sent today to both middle son, and to youngest son. Spent $75 on stuff to make all the goodies, then $50 to send boxes. I hope they appreciate it all.💖👍
    So Lee turns to me today and asks, "are we done now"? Lol, such a goofy guy. "Yes dear, I am done". Now its just Christmas cards, and sappy Christmas movies.😊🙃
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
    b5alxrcghd17.jpg
  • Whidislander
    Options
    3sh73jrfh44d.jpg
    9vn53jsu4oxc.jpg
    z0c6rso9bnsg.jpg
    rrz4jpviua07.jpg
    za4ndc0v19jg.jpg
    Some blue Christmas photos I have collected.🎵🎶
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    wA

• Katla49
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Allie - I have had painful hands when crocheting. I stop and stretch them for a bit before I start crocheting again. It helps. I do similar stretching when I knit. Again, it helps. My mom showed me how to knit and crochet when I was in a 4H group as a teen. I’ve knitted & crocheted baby blankets for my daughter and son’s babies and also others in our family. ❤️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    Well boxes are sent today to both middle son, and to youngest son. Spent $75 on stuff to make all the goodies, then $50 to send boxes. I hope they appreciate it all.💖👍
    So Lee turns to me today and asks, "are we done now"? Lol, such a goofy guy. "Yes dear, I am done". Now its just Christmas cards, and sappy Christmas movies.😊🙃
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
    b5alxrcghd17.jpg

That will be next week.
    I am going up to mom's Friday for 3 days of candy/treat making weekend then box it up and ship out boxes to former hubby, his parents and his younger brother(his older brother I will just deliver here in town).Shipping costs more than what goes in most of the boxes. (I had Amazon already send his main gift but I always send a large priority box of goodies to him then one large for his parents, they will have to talk to former mother in law as she is in a care home, and some for younger brother- he almost didn't get anything at all this year as he hasn't even text a thank you or checked in for the past few years. I did get a text from him so he will get some treats this year ;)

The boxes will be filled with at least 6-8 kinds of fudge, caramel corn, cracker toffee, what ever other treats mom and I decide to make, home grown popcorn and for FIL home grown speckled Lima Beans- he loves them and my dad loved growing and sharing them.

I will make little gift boxes of treats for the ladies, and one guy, at Zumba and for two of our neighbors.
    I will make a bigger one for my friend who I pet sit for. They are going to Vegas to see their daughter so they can take it and share with Sarah. Or, I may just get it together and have it ready for them when they come back after Christmas- I will be there every day for a week to twice a day to take care of their pup and kitties
  • Katla49
    Options
    Rebecca - I have always loved blue, and your photos look beautiful to me. Quilts love color and blue is wonderful. 🫐🫐🫐
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Pip, such a great photo of your children. when was it taken?

Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Barbie - “Michele, I know you won't go see your daughter for Christmas because Vince won't leave his holiday decorations so why don't you send your daughter $$$ so she and her family can visit you?” I know this is just the excuse. It really isn’t about the money, they aren’t that bad off. It’s more about the fact that Denise is overwhelmed and coming here for her is just too much. At first she was telling us that Pete is working one week off and one week on. That may very well be true. However, she was quick to say that he was working Christmas. I don’t know if this is true or not, but it really doesn't matter. So I told her that they can come the week before or the week after. The response? “I have to talk to Pete”. Translation: what excuse can I use not to go down there?

Went to Kohl’s and bought Lynette a sweater. Got the puzzle out to send to my girlfriend in Florida. I’m going to try to do at least one thing christmas related each day. Tomorrow I’m thinking of doing a bit of wrapping. Also sent a gift card to my friend in Florida. That’s enough Christmas stuff for today.

Debbie – is there any way you can ship the candy to your friend’s daughter? I would think they’re probably trying to have as little as possible to pack.

Went to bowling tonight.

You know, I am just going to look at the fact that Denise won’t come down here as the fact that that’ll mean less that I have to prepare. I’ve got to rationalize this somehow, see the silver lining (however small it may be) Well, it is what it is.

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Options
    Thank you Barbie! We’ve taken our trip to Virginia and returned home. We had a wonderful time with our family. We’re getting rest for now and happy with good memories of our trip.😊 Katla
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    ttky5vqf66e6.png

I've signed up for a 10K run in January so I figured I had better get moving!!

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    I spent the first part of the evening reading the Saga covid rules. They have hugely changed since we booked and we have had no notification from them. I had no idea of the new requirements until I read them on the website. I think they should have let us know. DH is especially put out as he is allergic to apps etc. I will download the NHS app, which shows your vaccination status, but he is reluctant. He doesn't even have online registration at the GP surgery, which I do. He will be able to get a scannable printable pdf from the NHS website before sailing. I hope he changes his mind and registers for the app. He will have to register at the GP first though, I believe.
    All kinds of requirements with forms, tests before and on board, masks etc. He is not a happy bunny.
    Things may be totally different by March! Who knows what will happen. It's a shame we have to pay our balance by Monday. He doesn't want to cancel though. I just hope our money is safe.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

We need to use an app to check into every business, restaurant, park area, bus, you name it here. Everywhere we go, we check in.

I'm supposed to upload my vaccination records to the same app but haven't got around to it yet.

As of December 15, I think most events, restaurants and social places will ban people without full vaccines. So I need to upload my records into the app by December 15 so that when I check in, it will allow me in. However, stores will still allow the unvaccinated.

If we were to travel off the island here, we would need all sorts of records in hand and we would have to apply for a pass, almost like a visa. And that's just to go to the mainland. People aren't travelling internationally yet. Plus there is a quarantine period.

Also, as of December 15, I think Tasmania will be going to compulsory mask wearing for the first time, so I bought some masks today.

We're still taking all this pretty seriously.

M in Oz