How on earth do I stop the after dinner snacking?!

Options

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I budget my calories so I can at least have a little snack after dinner most evenings. And I only keep snacks in the house that are 100 calories or less. Basically, I front-load my willpower at the supermarket, so I don't have to engage it every single evening when I'm comfy in my jammies. And I have CONSTANT temptation at work, my boss keeps all kinds of treats at the office and is always baking stuff and whatnot. I have to be so diligent at work that I just don't need that kind of headache at home.
  • HBombaMama
    HBombaMama Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are snacking because you are hungry, but more out of habit. Everyone had good suggestions below. I guess the main advice I would think is:

1. More exercise=more calories allowed. Just budget them and enjoy them.
    2. Swap empty calorie snacks for more filling/healthy calorie snacks so you won't feel as guilty even if you do go over your budget.
    3. MENTAL GAME! BE STRONG! Distraction and Determination. YOU are the only person who can do what you need to do for your life and your health. SO DO IT! :)

4. BRUSH YOUR TEETH! Seriously. I saw you said you tried chewing gum...but that just perpetuates the desire to "chew" something. If I brush my teeth after dinner (even if I wait a few minutes) I mentally consider my eating for the day done. I don't think ANYTHING actually tastes good after toothpaste which kills my cravings instantly. Try that trick and see what you think.

Good luck.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I hate going to bed hungry. I usually eat dinner late after a workout. I pre-log the snacks I want to eat after dinner (usually a couple of squares of chocolate and a frozen yoghurt). Then I stop eating and drink a cup of tea instead. Takes self control, but if you can exercise it, it shouldn't stop you from SOME snacking after dinner if you're actually hungry.
  • Noiram55
    Options
    I agree this is tough one but my husband and I have both stopped snacking at night . We pulled a Nike and "Just Did IT" and continue to Just do it.

Just love this one. Thanks for reminding me. I used to do that but stopped and put on the lbs I had lost. From now on I will JUST DO IT once again. ????
  • UpandRunning2013
    UpandRunning2013 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree this is tough one but my husband and I have both stopped snacking at night . We pulled a Nike and "Just Did IT" and continue to Just do it.
    ^this...plus get rid of the unhealthy snacks so there is no temptation, brush your teeth and drink a litre of water.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly, but it works for me: brush your teeth after the meal.
  • ArticaG
    Options
    I know that I also need something sweet after dinner. I don't do snacking, I just eat 3 meals a day.
    However I thought it might help, after dinner I always allow myself a cup of tea and a couple of square of chocolate or a small 100 calories bar of chocolate or biscuit. It seems to satisfy my craving.

And I think that my body and mind have now got used to it which means that by the time I had my squares of chocolate, my mind seems to know that this is the end of the food day for me.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If you snack mindlessly while watching TV, quit watching TV for a while and see if that helps. Do something else instead, such as reading a book.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I keep busy, play a game on my laptop, watch youtube with a cup of tea, watch catch ups on the iplayer on the ps3, Anything to keep my mind off of the thought of food lol, Iv started reading again and also try to do a kettlebell circuit in the evening to kill any hunger pangs.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Doing your nails is another great activity for killing a particularly bad episode of snack obsession. All the chemical smells will make you lose your appetite, plus your nails will need to dry, making it harder for you to just grab a snack.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stop. You can eat less during the day leaving you enough cals to fit those snacks in.
    THIS!
    I always try to reserve 1000-900 calories for dinner and beyond - it makes for a lean day but honestly I know myself - I like to eat a big dinner (Like 1000) and then I wont snack because I am full or a little dinner (like 500 calories) and I will snack. Either way it works out in the end... think lean throughout the day and eat at night.
  • EllenKay63
    EllenKay63 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.

^^ this.. put on your grown-up pants and "just do it"
    Brilliant advice from the 22 and 24 year old... Please...
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for these comments

I really dis-appreciate the age discrimination here (on this site in particular) , although I do not agree with their comments, everyone has a different maturity level NO MATTER WHAT YOUR AGE IS. It's personality not age. People who are 50 yrs old that act 40 yrs old don't get discrimination even though it's the same as a 22 yr old acting like a 12 yr old. Don't discriminate age, everyone is at a different point in their life. I'm only 18 (19 in 2 weeks) and have been through things that people never have to go through, don't judge off of age. I'm a college student, health care career job, cancer survivor that lives on her own. Everyone has different experiences in life, understand that.
    I wasn't commenting on their age. What is written can be taken many different ways. When I first read them I wasn't doing very well myself and the advice seem - I can't think of a better term right now...Light. I know they meant well, but when you struggle year after year sometimes being told to get self control and just do it just doesn't help.
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can't stop after dinner snacking, I plan for it, I make sure that my portions are normal or mabey smaller than normal then I plan my snacks, I have one every night after I put my son to bed, about 2 hours before I go to bed myself, just make sure it fits within your daily calorie budget and it really wont hurt you. I usually go for frozen yogurt :) or a bowl of cereal

This.

Save some calories for some snacks in the evening, then you don't have to stop. You might find it's the "I can't have anything else to eat" mentality that's making you want to snack anyway.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Save the majority of your calories for late in the day, so that way you will have plenty of calories left over for evening snacking.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you snack mindlessly while watching TV, quit watching TV for a while and see if that helps. Do something else instead, such as reading a book.

^ Think this may be an issue for many of us that snack in the evening.
  • Uhlmandl
    Options
    Drink lots of water to make you feel full
  • emshim
    emshim Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    BRUSH YOUR TEETH SOON AFTER DINNER!
    It will help you not want to snack afterwards :) Then the only thing that tastes good is water!
    No one likes minty haribo or menthol biscuits!!!
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    It took me while. I have kids so I still buy some snacks-- especially since they need to take some to school. I did try self control-- it's hard but it gets easier. In the meantime I went to bed earlier and if I absolutely had to have something, I ate a fruit to hold me until bedtime. Hope that helps.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Get some self control.

^^ this.. put on your grown-up pants and "just do it"
    Brilliant advice from the 22 and 24 year old... Please...
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for these comments

I really dis-appreciate the age discrimination here (on this site in particular) , although I do not agree with their comments, everyone has a different maturity level NO MATTER WHAT YOUR AGE IS. It's personality not age. People who are 50 yrs old that act 40 yrs old don't get discrimination even though it's the same as a 22 yr old acting like a 12 yr old. Don't discriminate age, everyone is at a different point in their life. I'm only 18 (19 in 2 weeks) and have been through things that people never have to go through, don't judge off of age. I'm a college student, health care career job, cancer survivor that lives on her own. Everyone has different experiences in life, understand that.

The advise was nonsensical and their ages are what they are... I did not make it up... only calling it like I see it.
  • jimyiapanis
    Options
    You don't have to. Put together some healthy snacks.

A few suggestions...

Slice of rye toast and Peanut/Almond butter.
    Homemade ice cream (basically Protein powder and Yogurt)
    Carrot / Celery sticks and hummus.