Guess What was on my Kid's School Shopping List

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    I wouldn't be happy if my kid was fed candy simply for completing the work he is already expected to do...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    The teacher asked for a bag of candy. Of all things, right?

My kid's gotten so many cavities since starting school last year, I'm tempted to send the school his dental bills. All the sugary snacks and gooey treats at birthday parties are ridiculous. The candy will be used as incentives for the children, and while I can understand how useful that may be to a teacher, there's got to be a better way.

Send them with toothbrushes and toothpaste, maybe floss too.

LOL I like it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Guess what? Those sugary treats and such at school will not give your kid cavities unless his oral hygeine at home sucks.

I grew up drinking soda and having candy all the time. Never had a single cavity.

And some people are just more prone to them than others.

Or just go on blaming the sugar demons.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I don't think the amount of candy they would get as an occasional treat at school would be anywhere near enough sugar to cause cavities. Same with birthday cake and party candy. Oral hygiene is key. I just think its wrong to pass the buck on the teacher.

This. Maybe check your kid's brush habits before footing the bill to the school.

Candy isn't going to cause cavities unless he is eating a fair amount each day and not brushing.. A doughnut once a week for a kid isn't going to hurt them. Eating 1 or 2 doughnuts on a daily basis, maybe.

They way I see it, give them a treat once a week is actually teaching them to appreciate the special occasion and not that it's good for a daily thing.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Guess what? Those sugary treats and such at school will not give your kid cavities unless his oral hygeine at home sucks.

I grew up drinking soda and having candy all the time. Never had a single cavity.

Well, he didn't have a single cavity before starting school. So that's my reasoning. I've always brushed and flossed his teeth after meals. Not a problem there.
  • odusgolp

To me it's not about the cavities. It's about the request. This is one of those items that should be a sign-up form, or email to parents, etc... "We are looking for volunteers to provide candy for rewards, granola bars for snacks, stickers for incentives, and Ziploc Bags for wet undies..." Whatever...

Part of a "school supply list" is bizarre to me.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    yeah, send stickers instead!

my kids will jump through any hoop to get a goddamned sticker.

^YES!

We're potty-training our 2.5yo, and I am stocked up on stickers. No way in hell I'm giving him candy as a reward!

As for sending candy to school, I'd just say no and ask the teacher is s/he can use something else as a reward.

I can't believe they actually asked for that.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    I don't think the amount of candy they would get as an occasional treat at school would be anywhere near enough sugar to cause cavities. Same with birthday cake and party candy. Oral hygiene is key. I just think its wrong to pass the buck on the teacher.

This. Maybe check your kid's brush habits before footing the bill to the school.

Candy isn't going to cause cavities unless he is eating a fair amount each day and not brushing.. A doughnut once a week for a kid isn't going to hurt them. Eating 1 or 2 doughnuts on a daily basis, maybe.

They way I see it, give them a treat once a week is actually teaching them to appreciate the special occasion and not that it's good for a daily thing.

But it's not just a weekly treat. That's for the birthday parties. The kids also have a daily morning snack, usually cookies and juice.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    The teacher asked for a bag of candy. Of all things, right?

My kid's gotten so many cavities since starting school last year, I'm tempted to send the school his dental bills. All the sugary snacks and gooey treats at birthday parties are ridiculous. The candy will be used as incentives for the children, and while I can understand how useful that may be to a teacher, there's got to be a better way.

Send them with toothbrushes and toothpaste, maybe floss too.

Yup, I'm planning to. If the school allows treats, what else is there to do, right?
  • whierd

Well, he didn't have a single cavity before starting school. So that's my reasoning. I've always brushed and flossed his teeth after meals. Not a problem there.

Perhaps homeschooling could be an option?
  • odusgolp

You can homeschool me.

Damn. I saw something shiny again... Sorry.
  • whierd

To me it's not about the cavities. It's about the request. This is one of those items that should be a sign-up form, or email to parents, etc... "We are looking for volunteers to provide candy for rewards, granola bars for snacks, stickers for incentives, and Ziploc Bags for wet undies..." Whatever...

It is mostly due to slashed budgets not having room for the school to provide treats.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    My dentist gave me sealants on my teeth when I was a kid, supposedly it's supposed to prevent cavities. Have you asked yours about that? Prevention's the best medicine, and if your kid's going to be eating a lot of sugary stuff at school (since he's a kid, and he will if they're offered), might not be a bad idea to check into it

That's what my parents had done to our teeth as well... I went 30 years without a cavity (and I'm convinced it was because I was pregnant as I went to the dentist twice during my pregnancy and didn't have any until my post-partum dentist appointment then I had 7... and I go to the dentist every six months)...

Anway, back to the post... I suggest sealants too and I plan on having my kids teeth sealed as well.
  • whierd

You can homeschool me.

Damn. I saw something shiny again... Sorry.

You get a spanking for not paying attention.

I believe in capital punishment in my school.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I know there are budget cuts in education, but since when are the parents responsible for the incentives in the classroom?

... Parents have always been responsible for school supplies. There has probably never been a budget for classroom incentives, so budget cuts really have nothing to do with it. At my school I got NO money for supplies. Anything I wanted, I bought. Teachers spend plenty of their own money on everything from paper to field trip fees for kids whose parents can't afford it. I don't think it's unreasonable for parents to chip in with extras like candy, tissue, hand sanitizer, etc. Schools do not provide these things, so either teachers pay for it, parents split up the cost and pay for it, or the kids get none. Or, you can be one of those parents who just relies on the reliable parents to pick up the slack for you. (Had a lot of those as a teacher.)

It's a hot button issue for me ever since the year I spent $200 on PENCILS. I realize candy is a different issue, but since when are TEACHERS and not parents responsible for something that kids want and use in the classroom?

That is a tax deduction, FYI. Save your receipts.

Yep, a whole $200.

I dropped over a grand last year on the wife's classroom.

We go to IKEA just to snag the little pencils, and I'm supposed to bring them home from golfing.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Not allowed to send anything like that to my kids school because kids are allergic to everything these days.
  • odusgolp

It is mostly due to slashed budgets not having room for the school to provide treats.

I pay for private school, so hell... what do I care. :drinker:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    We do not have to send in candy or anything else for incentives, but I was really shocked to see a box of Band Aids on the school supply list (which I refused to send), along with the cleaning wipes and germ x. We also have to send a ridiculous amount of pencils, glue, and many other regular supplies, when I know that my child does not need that many. Our teachers put everything in "community" boxes where the children just go get whatever they need when they need it... So I am pretty much taking in supplies for parents who do not send supplies in for the children. It irks me. I found out that on the last day of school the teachers just throw away any unused supplies such as pencils, pens, markers, crayons, paper, ect.... and the janitors just go through every trash can and cash in on the leftovers. Why cant the teachers put the leftovers in a tote and use for next year? I was livid when I found this out and so I sent my daughter with the least amount of supplies for the "community" boxes and have the rest of her stuff at home for when she needs it.

Thanks for making the rest of the parents and teachers make up the difference for you. :flowerforyou:

Yep, thanks. I'll just add that to the grand I dropped last year.

I call BS on the teachers throwing away pens, pencils, markers, etc..... (see going to IKEA and golf courses for pencils).
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Don't like it at all but you could send in a sugar free candy...to make it a wee bit better.

Just gonna say...while I try to keep sugary treats in moderation at my home and I'm not a big fan of more-than-occasional candy and such at school, I'd MUCH rather my kids have a bit of real sugar than chemical artificial sweeteners. Yuck.***

***said as I guzzle my Diet Coke with lunch. I'm an adult, I'm grown and can judge risks and benefits for myself. Not cool to subject little growing and developing kids to any more chemicals than we already do just living day-to-day.
  • whierd

I pay for private school, so hell... what do I care. :drinker:

Ok Ms Moneybags!!!