Guess What was on my Kid's School Shopping List

Options

Replies

• Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculous! I'd buy a big pack of sticks & send that instead. HELLO what if one of the children are diabetic!? Teacher fail!

Oh ffs, do you really think that they teachers wouldnt know about allergies and medical conditions?! Are there not forms to fill out for this reason?

yes but they could avoid kids feeling left out.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculous! I'd buy a big pack of sticks & send that instead. HELLO what if one of the children are diabetic!? Teacher fail!

Sticks? I thought there was zero-tolerance for weapons these days?

LOl yeah my mistake stickers. Never hear of people being Stickered to death.

I'm allergic to latex. Stickers could kill me.

...well in that case...
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Sticks? I thought there was zero-tolerance for weapons these days?

LOl yeah my mistake stickers. Never hear of people being Stickered to death.

I'm allergic to latex. Stickers could kill me.

Thank goodness for Skyn.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I thought treats were used to train DOGS!

What happened to bad grades or punishment being the "incentive" to do well? No wonder childhood obesity is on the rise....
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    In my kids school you aren't allowed to bring in ANY food for birthdays. I would not be happy about supplying a bag of candy.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Eh, I don't see any issues with the candy. If a child takes care of his/her teeth there wouldn't be any cavities really.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Candy was on my daughter's school list too. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving them a treat once in a while when they perform well on tests/quizzes.

As far as the cavities...Are you supervising his brushing habits? Some times I have to "help" my 5 year old with his teeth because he doesn't always get in there like he needs to.

Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

What happened to bad grades or punishment being the "incentive" to do well? No wonder childhood obesity is on the rise....

Ya, that's the problem.....

Not "helicopter parents", TV, and Video Games.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing...I don't care what the reward is - be it candy, stickers or whatever...I'm hung up on the fact that kids are being rewarded for doing what they SHOULD be doing anyways.

And incentive for being good? I'm pretty sure keeping my name off of the chalkboard was incentive enough for me, cuz I knew if I got any check marks after my name (check marks were issued for each "bad" instance), there would be no recess for me. So what motivated me to behave? Wanting to spare myself from the embarassement of having to stay in at recess, or having my name on the chalkboard for the whole class to see.

The ONLY time we got rewards (in the form of stickers) was if we did extra credit assignments.

ETA: To the OP, since it sounds like you're not going to be able to change the school's policy anytime soon, I would send stickers in place of candy for "rewards". I don't think it's EVER a good idea to teach kids that food of any sort is used as a reward. Seems to me like that's a dangerous path to using food as a way to handle emotions (good, bad or otherwise).
  • whierd
    Options

Because negative reinforcement works so much better than positive. *thumbsup*
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options

hmmmm....I can't recall a teacher ever using candy as a reward when I was in school, and don't know anyone who was traumitized later in life because they were denied outdoor recess when they didn't do their homework (or had detention for bad behavior). I guess things are different these days....now that everyone gets a trophy! :laugh:
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have so many comments running through my head right now I'm ready to explode, but I'll leave it to this: Teachers (yes I'm a teacher) do the best that they can. Forget the whole candy thing...I'm sure you're all perfect parents who never give your kids candy. However, not sending the requested school supplies because you don't want to reward the lazy/deadbeat parents who don't shop. You are accomplishing NOTHING. That kid still won't have the things that they need. They aren't going to go home and say, "Mr./Mrs. Jones didn't buy 4 boxes of pencils for Sally so now you HAVE to go get them for me." And even if the kid did go home and say that, that parent still wouldn't go out and buy the stuff. The teacher will. AND the tax write off is ridiculous. Like a previous poster said, we spend hundreds, even thousands on YOUR KIDS each year and get back a few hundred. We aren't getting rich off of it. But thank you for being self-righteous and teaching me a lesson. SMDH
  • elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would have to say that I think it's rude for a teacher to ask parents to bring in candy for incentives. Especially since this is not a classroom requirement and something the teacher made up and put in place. She should be responsible for the purchase 100%. On another note, I don't think candy should be used as an incentive period. With health, nutritional and fitness concerns tredning right now, I think the teachers should be a little more sensitive to the subject and when asking for certain things.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I would rather NOT eat sweets than the sugar free stuff. Sugar alcohols make people poop. A lot.

Think of the poor custodians!

Add toilet paper to next year's supply list!!

Some schools have adopted a 'no zero' policy.. no red x's either.. children are being babied. If my child doesn't do his homework/fails a test, he deserves a 0 or a big red x!
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/05/31/edmonton-teacher-zeros-sheppard.html .. friggin Canada lol
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    As far as the candy. No not cool.

But I send my kid with the supplies on the list and we mark our name on all of it. I also include a note to the teacher that says

"These supplies are for MY kid and my kid alone. My child knows that if they run out, they are to let me know and I'll supply more. If my child is out of a particular supply needed for that day, unfortunately my child will not participate."

I refuse to pay for someone who is simply too lazy to provide their own child's school supplies, and I understand it's not your fault that the school doesn't provide teachers with the necessary tools to run the classroom, but poor planning on schools and deadbeat parent's part does not constitute a handout from my pocket"

I do feel bad for those kids that are made to walk to school with no backpack, or school supplies, dirty clothes and no food in thier tummies, I really do, but there are resources out there. We have to stop letting these parents get away with doing this to thier children.

my sentiments exactly!!!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess I'm in the minority in thinking this is not a big deal. Eh, not surprised or worried. That said, two things:

1. Not buying supplies because of other jerk parents makes you a jerk too, just a different kind of jerk.

2. This is a parent thread and I was coming back expecting a meltdown of Cafemom proportions. MFP I am disappoint.
    2r7wxoo.gif
  • whierd
    Options

hmmmm....I can't recall a teacher ever using candy as a reward when I was in school, and don't know anyone who was traumitized later in life because they were denied outdoor recess when they didn't do their homework (or had detention for bad behavior). I guess things are different these days....now that everyone gets a trophy! :laugh:

You dont know anyone? Your generation consumes a lot of pills and therapy. :tongue:
  • elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    And let me add. As far as actual cleaning a school supplies goes....do you fair share and stop be stingy and cheap. I agree with teachers when it comes to this. Help them out. Most people don't have to pay out of pocket for work supplies. They do. And on some teacher salaries, I bet it can be stressful knowing they really can't afford to, but have to. And for those cheap people who refuse to particiapte, this is for you!
  • OzarkNana
    OzarkNana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The teacher asked for a bag of candy. Of all things, right?

My kid's gotten so many cavities since starting school last year, I'm tempted to send the school his dental bills. All the sugary snacks and gooey treats at birthday parties are ridiculous. The candy will be used as incentives for the children, and while I can understand how useful that may be to a teacher, there's got to be a better way.

Wow, it's totally banned in my grandkids schools. They can no longer even take cupcakes to school for their birthdays! You will be called and reminded if you happen to slip and put some in your child's lunch sack too.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options

You dont know anyone? Your generation consumes a lot of pills and therapy. :tongue:
    Nobody. If they are, they aren't running about whining about it or blaming the schools. I do however, see a whole lot of thearpy in the future of these kids today who have no idea what the real world is going to be like....