WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    I'm thinking of all of you who are struggling with health/work/family issues, and holding in my heart those who have had losses and sad anniversaries.
    I've had a few issues of my own but right now I'm delighted to be back where I belong, if only temporarily. Husband was to give a lecture in Longyearbyen and I went along for the ride. This is the week when they celebrate the return of the sun (the official date isn't actually until tomorrow). It's a glorious time of year - provided the skies are clear.
    The day we arrived they were NOT clear. Our plane had to circle for an hour waiting for the clouds to dissipate enough for us to land. Luckily, there was a brief opening and the pilot immediately slammed the plane to the runway. Otherwise we would have had to fly back to the mainland and try again the next day.
    But yesterday the skies were clear. We went for a pleasant walk up the mountainside east of town and I captured these pics.
    First, looking north across Adventfjorden to Hjortfjellet and Adventtoppen, two of the mountain profiles that everyone who has lived in Longyearbyen has engraved on their hearts.
    arkvbeor27mj.jpg
    Next, looking west down over the center of town. The slats in the foreground are part of the snow fence erected after the avalanche in 2015, when two people were killed. The rock wall below it is a snow barrier that was completed last summer. I haven't seen it before.
    vejcbcubvy9y.jpg
    Last, a view to the northwest, with the house we lived in for ten years right in the center. The day I took these pictures was the first time in an entire year that I saw the view all the way across Isfjorden, to the mountains on the other side, 50 miles away. That sight hit me right in the solar plexus. I wasn't aware how much I've missed it.
    1z0crqut439a.jpg
    That's enough pictures for now. I'll be back with more later on.
    /Penny, inordinately happy to be back at the
    t07190.gif

Beautiful!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    (((PIP)))) I can relate to wanting pictures. You seem like a "bite out of life" sort of person and I think you have everything on your side to heal well.

HEATHER Wow, I don't think I could bear so much drama at this age! I hope she fares better in her next steps and visits. What French film did you watch? Nice about the tai chi men! maybe it was a (men's) class? Very glad your connection is safely out of Ukraine.

Had to skim again today. Off to work and lots of appointments, prep work today.
    It's cold and I'm not enjoying it!

Have to skim cause impossible to read all, and tomorrow there will be another 5 pages! :)

Wishing you all good health.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    tracked these past days.
    almost zero movement yesterday (3,000 Steps! and nothing else).
    not a great day but oh well.
    today is full of work etc w appointments outside home from 9am to 8pm...
    so just in little steps from here to there I get in quite a few...3700 so far but need to go to X and then to Y and then back home. Teaching is not as active as say waiting tables or building houses, but not like sitting at a desk all day either...
    bonne journée !
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im up and dressed and fed Alfie ,will have some oatmeal and then off to take Carmine to school and help with Miles..
    Keep Tracy in your thoughts and if you have any ideas on how she can work from home please let me know.. she spoke with her boss and they want her working 6 days a week and will be having her pay back 25% of her insurance because she will be working part time and she wont be covered by
    insurance..
    My heart hurts for her ,but there isnt much i can do..

She only just had the baby, didn't she? Can she take a course in something so that when her mat leave is up, she has the skill set to work at home? Mat leave here is a year, I think, so if it is similar there, she's got time to get, for example, a childcare certificate.
    https://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/maternity-and-parental-leave

I don't think labour laws allow people to work 6 days a week unless they are paid overtime or given time off in lieu. The maximum a person can work is 38 hours (unless overtime/toil)
    https://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment-conditions/hours-of-work-breaks-and-rosters/hours-of-work

She should contact the fairwork ombudsman or whatever the department is called there to talk about what she's entitled to.

Wouldn't she have checked into these things before getting pregnant?

As for working from home ... there's childcare. Some here do that. :)

Or a music teacher.

Or a massage therapist.

For a couple years, I worked for Canada Post "from home". They delivered a stack of fliers to me at home, I collated them and delivered them to people's homes on the weekends.

She could check into election positions - sometimes people are hired to "stuff envelopes" for mailings.

If she's a good website designer, that can be done from home.

I work from home occasionally -- I'm in databases.

Machka in Oz
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    B)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Monday!
    Machka- Love what you are doing with your patio/oasis area!
    Tracey- Michaela! What a doll! I need her to come here and help me "broom" every day!
    Pip- You look fabulous!
    Allie- What a crappy thing for your daughter's employers to spring on her right before she is ready to head back to work! They want her to work 6 days a week and it is still part time? PLUS pay back 25 % of her insurance? Oh no! I would be getting a lawyer on the "pay back" part of their plan. That does NOT sound legal to me. At home jobs. A lot of places are hiring that way. Amazon, medical transcription, Disney vacations, many travel agencies work that way, now. Have her check Indeed.
    Heather- Wowsa! Sounds like your friend had a time of it! You must be her "stability" person. Good on you, for the run! I bet that felt good.
    Penny- Beautiful pics! I bet it felt good to be back, if only for a little while.

Kids here. gotta fly ttfn xoxoxo KJ
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ❤️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Walk w/ my day nurse q2askzfse77n.jpeg

Who is your little friend?

That’s one of Yogi’s’s bear toys. Since it was black, I brought him for company
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Responding to Allie, Machka wrote:
    She only just had the baby, didn't she? Can she take a course in something so that when her mat leave is up, she has the skill set to work at home? Mat leave here is a year, I think, so if it is similar there, she's got time to get, for example, a childcare certificate.
    https://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/maternity-and-parental-leave
    It's no way similar there. Parental leave in the US is up to the employer. Many give 0 pay for maternal leave and women have to take sick leave or unpaid leave to give birth.
    Read this and weep: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/11/11/global-paid-parental-leave-us/
    /Penny
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Pip!!! You look AMAZING! Good to see you up and moving! Not WARPED at all. LOL.

Tracey, I would so LOVE to unplug from the world. Been thinking about that a lot lately. Maybe this summer sometime.

Carla, in MN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    3wjddrat0ifz.jpeg
    lctf9zd9ajoh.jpeg
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    <3:|B)
    RvRita
  • Whidislander