WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2022

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    PipCongrats!!!

Went to the pool, had dinner, then walked around the parking lot. Don't need to leave tomorrow until around noon, but know the Vince is going to have sticker shock since he has to buy gas for his vehicle. Normally, we would have taken mine but we want to let it sit for a while.

Michele now in FL
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,490 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, wii, readings, BP, osteo back, dogs to powerline, steps >7400, CI<CO, CI<250<CO.
    Bonus: 46 mins grooming Tumble, 5 mins filing, 10 mins taxes. Just one thing: nope
    Workin’ on it: [color=red144[/color] :sick:, H20x3, active

Mindful March
    8: Eat mindfully. Enjoy the taste, texture and smell of your food.

Made step goal for the first time this month, yay. Fasting labs, annual ABI, ansar, balance and cognitive tests tomorrow. Dread the ones with automatic blood pressure cuffs, those doggoned things H U R T.

Pip it is a testament to your fitness and overall excellent health that you could be discharged from hospital so soon. Healing prayers continue, but know that Yogi’s (and Kirby’s) kisses will be the most therapeutic.
    Katla likewise prayers for healing, comfort and strength to your dh (and you!)

Won’t stay up ‘til midnight PST so . . . Happy Birthday Debbie (and Machka across the int’l date line.)

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
    Glad to hear you are home Pip!
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Pip, so glad you are home!
    Allie, keeping Tracy and her job situation in my thoughts and hoping she is able to find something suitable. And add me to the list of folks who think Carmine needs to do some walking to and from school to remind them how good they have it. It's one thing for you to drive them here, there and everywhere, but they do need to show some respect! I know it's something you want to do, to help out, but ....
    Katla, I do hope hubby is feeling better! And that you find just the right pup.
    Penny, those photos of Longyearben are absolutely stunning! I can certainly understand why you miss it, although I'm not sure I'd miss all that snow.....
    Rebecca, Athena just keeps getting cuter!
    I'm sure there were other comments I wanted to make, but, well, you know how it is. Grandkids tomorrow, so must get my rest tonite as they can sure keep us on our toes! lol I am happy to have them tho, I'd been wanting that pretty much since Nicholas was born (5.5 years ago!) Maybe if we'd have had them once in awhile then, he'd listen a little better to us now. That child is a challenge! Fortunately his sister is a little more easy going, altho when she makes up her mind about something, she is a force to be reckoned with! Must go, need to get to bed soon.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, on beautiful, sunny Vancouver Island
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Happy International Women's Day!!
    https://www.internationalwomensday.com/

"International Women's Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating women's equality.

IWD has occurred for well over a century, with the first IWD gathering in 1911 supported by over a million people. Today, IWD belongs to all groups collectively everywhere. IWD is not country, group or organization specific."

I love that I'm among the 24% who DO cycle. :)

72ze5cpdvdts.png

Machka in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Glad you made it home Pip. You will rest and regain strength there much better than in the hospital.

susseca2-welcome to the group. I do think your doctor could be a bit more supportive! A lot of people can have things which make weight loss more difficult but if you read through some of the stories on MFP, many have overcome them and have their weight at a very manageable, healthy level. Good for you for not giving up.

Maternity leave is much different here than in other countries. If your employer is large enough, 12 weeks for a full time person-and that is just guarantee to hold the job-pay is not required. And the 12 weeks is in a 12 month period (most employers go with a rolling year). There are many part-time and full-time wfh jobs-lots of customer call centers are working from home full-time. Many will inquire as to how child care is arranged if needed (after all, the work part is essential!).

Julie-good to hear from you. Sounds like you are really out and about now!

Tracey-I assume you mean multiple collective bargaining agreements for employees. Keeping different rules straight for different groups is a royal pain.

After a beautiful weekend, couldn't believe how cold it has gotten again.

Off to get some stretches in. Have an early meeting at work and need to get some gas on the way in.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Morning ladies
    Im up and dressed and fed Alfie ,will have some oatmeal and then off to take Carmine to school and help with Miles..
    Keep Tracy in your thoughts and if you have any ideas on how she can work from home please let me know.. she spoke with her boss and they want her working 6 days a week and will be having her pay back 25% of her insurance because she will be working part time and she wont be covered by
    insurance..
    My heart hurts for her ,but there isnt much i can do..
    She only just had the baby, didn't she? Can she take a course in something so that when her mat leave is up, she has the skill set to work at home? Mat leave here is a year, I think, so if it is similar there, she's got time to get, for example, a childcare certificate.
    https://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/maternity-and-parental-leave

I don't think labour laws allow people to work 6 days a week unless they are paid overtime or given time off in lieu. The maximum a person can work is 38 hours (unless overtime/toil)
    https://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment-conditions/hours-of-work-breaks-and-rosters/hours-of-work

She should contact the fairwork ombudsman or whatever the department is called there to talk about what she's entitled to.

Wouldn't she have checked into these things before getting pregnant?

As for working from home ... there's childcare. Some here do that. :)

Or a music teacher.

Or a massage therapist.

For a couple years, I worked for Canada Post "from home". They delivered a stack of fliers to me at home, I collated them and delivered them to people's homes on the weekends.

She could check into election positions - sometimes people are hired to "stuff envelopes" for mailings.

If she's a good website designer, that can be done from home.

I work from home occasionally -- I'm in databases.

Machka in Oz

Some people do markets at the weekend ... some here, I think.

They grow veggies and/or flowers to sell.
    They do crafts to sell.

Years ago, an acquaintance of mine acquired stock at reduced rate prices - odd lot sales etc. - and sold it at weekend markets. Much of his work was from home, except for the weekend markets, of course.

Linked In gives me lists of jobs which can be done remotely or partially remotely ... in other word not in the office or not in the office all the time.

Today's collection included these:
    • Analyst, Digital Performance
    • Lead Data Analyst - Infrastructure
    • Implementation Consultant
    • Data Scientist
    • Geographic Information Systems Engineer
    • Data Tester

Your daughter would need education and experience for those, but maybe she has that?

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Tough morning. DH is not doing well today. He needs to be able to sit in a chair. We’re working at it. It hurts to see him in pain.

❤️

Has he seen a doctor recently?
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Yes the customer call center job would be ideal for her.. itold her to look into that..
    Kyle is off again today so i have the day off .. i do have an appointment at 11:15 with kidney dr.. but other than that im free..
    She will be checking into jobs today..
  • Machka9
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    HOME!

:):)

Now take it easy and let yourself recover!

And don't do what I did! I have a similar scar although mine is from my belly button all the way down. When they let me out of hospital, I wanted to go to the library to exchange some books. It was a cold and icy December day in Canada and when I stepped out of the library to get into the car waiting for me right outside the door, I slipped, fell, and slid right underneath the car!! Ouch!!! About 10 days later, we took the bus to Winnipeg - about a 30 hour journey. And again, I was coming down the steps of the bus at some stop in the middle of nowhere, and slipped, and fell ... and ripped my stitches. One of my first stops in Winnipeg was the Emergency department of the closest hospital. Don't do that!! :open_mouth:

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Machka — We have been in lockdown since covid arrived. DH has had telephone appointments with his MS doctor, who is 40+/- miles away from here. It keeps both DH and the doctor safe from Covid Virus. DH also has a local doctor here in town. Masks are worn by Dr & Patient here in town. I have a different doctor in the same facility here. I’ve had appointments in person with masks on. People in general wear masks in public. There are people who refuse to wear masks in public.
  • Machka9
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Machka — We have been in lockdown since covid arrived. DH has had telephone appointments with his MS doctor, who is 40+/- miles away from here. It keeps both DH and the doctor safe from Covid Virus. DH also has a local doctor here in town. Masks are worn by Dr & Patient here in town. I have a different doctor in the same facility here. I’ve had appointments in person with masks on. People in general wear masks in public.

Yes of course, but has your DH been to a doctor recently? Sounds like he might need to go see a doctor.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    I think some people do better with in person appointments. My mom tries to pretend everything is fine, which is easier across a phone or computer link. We are off to the cardiologist this morning. There is a big nap scheduled afterwards!

Annie in Delaware
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka — DH has had in person appointments with his doctor and will be doing so again very soon. Masks are worn for in person appointments.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka — DH has had in person appointments with his doctor and will be doing so again very soon.

That's good to hear. He's not been well for a little while now.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I think some people do better with in person appointments. My mom tries to pretend everything is fine, which is easier across a phone or computer link. We are off to the cardiologist this morning. There is a big nap scheduled afterwards!

Annie in Delaware

Is the nap for you or your mom?

I would love to be able to nap ... the closest thing I get to that is nodding off while on the bus!!