WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2022

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie— I hope Jake does well with his testing and is able to come home soon. ❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Barbie - My mother was like Jake and would wear us all out with her talking. I used to have that inherited tendency, :#;) but I only do it in phases nowdays. I do need to get it out though. Sending love and strength as you weather this medical and marital challenge. My ex husband had a much needed stent put in around five years ago.
    <3<3<3<3 to you and Jake.

I slept upstairs because the black beans were doing their work. :o l listened to a podcast that made me glad I am not famous. :laugh: My worst vice ( and deadly sin ) is envy, especially of famous and successful writers and speakers. Actually, I love my quiet life. :p 😜 Stress and I do not get along.

Quiet day today. I will get on with my book. The cleaner is coming this afternoon instead of Easter Monday, as that was a Bank Holiday. I usually run round tidying a bit and emptying bins beforehand. Check nothing embarrassing is lying around. :o I must wash my hair before I go to the hairdresser tomorrow. :laugh: Don't want her to think I have dirty hair.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Just came back from touring an assisted living facility near me for my parents (who are 200 miles away). It was a nice facility. Not as nice as where my parents are currently residing. The one bedroom suite was half the size of their current apartment. And the price was at a minimum $4000 higher than they are currently paying per month. No one retires to NY. No one. The cost of living is too high and this is going to be an issue for my parents in OH if they move my direction. Do you think Illinois would be cheaper? That's where my brother is.

Beth near Buffalo where it is once again blowing and snowing

You should be able to check real estate sites. We've got one main one here in Australia that covers all/most of the real estate agencies.

Here, assisted living places almost don't exist. :(

I'd like to consider at least a 55+ one for us, but there aren't many and what there are ... meh. They wouldn't be my first choice of a place to live.

I might have to wait till we get to Canada one day in the distant future.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    faithcreek wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    faithcreek wrote: »
    5kcrjremy8rs.jpeg

I saw this ❤️ I have 7 strawberries to be planted I have a old tin tub I might use?

That could work.

My strawberries are in planter boxes around the railing at the front door.

Machka in Oz

I bet that is pretty.

fc in az

Last year's strawberries. :)

bzl6qaubs0e4.png

prvtgfeawqzk.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Jake had some sort of scary heart related event during his nuclear stress test this morning and a short time later he got a call from the cardiologist's office that they are going to schedule him for an angiogram at the hospital an hour's drive away. It may or may not require an overnight stay. His way of dealing with stress is to talk endlessly about what is bothering him and my way of dealing with stress is to watch tv or read and say nothing until there is actually something we can do about it. It makes for interesting times.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

They kept my husband in overnight for his angiogram.

My husband also talks a lot since his brain injury and I find it's good to listen with at least one ear because there are often bits and pieces that are really important, especially with a health issue. He has trouble describing exactly what's wrong so I'll use prompt questions to try to get more specific detail.

I've also got Bible Gateway, Mahjong, Sudoku and Kindle on my phone for the long hours of sitting and waiting.

I hope everything works out all right.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,140 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Keeping both you and Jace in my thoughts.

🥳🎉 Cheers to those celebrating.
    Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.
    🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

Shopping done and put away. Waiting for my girls to pick me up for my birthday outing. It’s a lovely day for it. Lots if walking on the cards.

☘️ Terri
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Friday 4/15: BP, CI<CO, CI<250<CO.
    Bonus: Passover baking, Post Office, Bi-Mart, boardwalk stroll, follow up w/PA re MRI.
    Just one thing: back to bupkes
    Workin’ on it: Friday 142.5, H20x2?, active 4:17
    Active April
    16: Go exploring around your local area and notice new things.

From last Friday: Knew I was tired and should stop, but wanted to finish the batch of Passover chocolate chip matzo meal cookies so I pushed it. Oops. Flames and smoke coming up from below the floor of the oven. Oven off, fan on. Spritz of water didn’t squelch so dumped a cupful. Explained to Joe that something (cookie? Parchment paper?) fell beneath the stove floor and caught fire. Asked him not to use the stove ‘til we could clean it out, then dashed out to the post office and massage that wasn’t. When will I learn to LISTEN when guidance whispers? Joe kindly unscrewed both metal plates that comprise the oven’s floor and we retrieved the completely carbonized remnants of a cookie. Metal cleaned up well, then dashed off to the follow up appointment and a boardwalk stroll before picking up Thai food for girls’ movie night.

KJ dill pickle flavored peeps? As an accompaniment to Lanette’s liver’n’onions ones? :sick: Knew that after fellowship there wouldn’t be enough time to bake sweet potatoes to serve within Joe’s window of comfortable eating time so postponed Easter Dinner to Monday morning. Simple, just ham, sweet potatoes, grilled asparagus, hot cross buns and slices of See’s Easter eggs for desert.

Noticed I’m drinking less water, and more wine??? Time for a course correction.

Pg 42/49 when will I catchup?.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Beth-senior housing is pretty insane. I have been checking out options. Ideally I would like an active adult community. Most of what I have found so far (in Ohio and Arizona) are places that have “independent living” (which is what I want), but they all seem to include meal fees. I don’t’ want that-I more want an apartment with people in their 60s or more who are still mobile and engage in activities. I am now switching to looking at an apartment close to son in Chandler and then go to the city’s Senior City for some activities and making connections. I want to have a plan for developing new relationships. Figure with senior center visits and activities it will be more flexible than if you happen to not care for some of your neighbors! Moving is a scary proposition, but I figure it is better if I get situation closer to one of children while I am mobile and self-sufficient then them having to make hard decisions later.

Barbara in NW WA-hope all goes well with Jake. Meshing the different coping strategies is always interesting.

Debbie-prayers for David

Annie-good to hear uncle surgery is successful.

Betsy-spending time with others who have been through similar situations is good. Laughing and crying both help our souls.

Off to work. My heart is in it less and less. Focusing on finishing up things (which will take a bit of time). Mentally preparing for this December.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Saturday 4/16: Joe, readings x 2, BP, dogs to powerline
    Bonus: fellowship prep
    Just one thing: back to bupkes
    Workin’ on it: Saturday 143.3, H20x4, active 3:55
    Active April
    17: Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds.

The very happiest of birthdays to you, dear Terri!
    Belated welcome @rsnsza Renee in VA, @KindredSpirit1968 Kari in ND, @faithcreek fc from AZ, welcome back @mvarga1972 Missy in IN and N2couture22!
    Ginny :wow: “more excitement than I needed” Glad you and all are safe.
    Debbie prayer said for little David and his family.

Pg 44/49 keepin’ on…

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I have a heavy sleeping baby in my lap,mommy at work and Carmine is still snoozing .. will take him to school and then take Miles to mom for snack time lol
    Barbie- praying for Jake and for you.. i know trying to keep up with all the cardiologist stuff and to do it well is a challenge.
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Beth-senior housing is pretty insane. I have been checking out options. Ideally I would like an active adult community. Most of what I have found so far (in Ohio and Arizona) are places that have “independent living” (which is what I want), but they all seem to include meal fees. I don’t’ want that-I more want an apartment with people in their 60s or more who are still mobile and engage in activities.
    Ginny in Ohio

I have this vision of a place with independent 2-3 bedroom single level units with small yards. In the midst of the collection of units would be a building with medical facilities, pharmacy, physio, massage, yoga, pilates, a gym, swimming pool, and a few other things like perhaps a gift/card shop, beauty salon, and small grocery. The area would be gated and around the circumference would be a walking/cycling path.

Oh well.

What we've got here are a small collection of run-down units on a noisy corner in a location few would want to live.

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Terri Happy Birthday and hope this is a year filled with good health and good times for you and those you love. Another year older and wiser...

So much in my head about senior living and options going forward. I'm not going to make any decisions right now but I do have decisions to make in the next year or so. Do I stay in this 3 bedroom house with an acre lawn to maintain? Do I sell it and move to something smaller with less maintenance? If I sell within two years of Jack's passing I'd have his and my capital gains credit. After two years I'd only be able to take my own capital gains at point of sale. I'm so torn, I love this house and it is full of good memories. Where would I move if I sold? I don't want to winter in Alaska anymore because I love being able to walk everyday without the ice under my feet. Prices are so high for any property now, it is a conundrum.

Ginny, I don't want senior living with meals included either and many of the places don't have the option of meals ... they are mandatory. I have lots thinking to do. I have good friends here and I'll wait to make any decisions.

Barbie Wishing you a day that brings answers to Jakes medical.

Have a good day gals,
    Betsy in NW WA
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    OMG Tucker is AWESOME!!! I have WAY too many of those deer photos too, Rebecca. I just love our backyard... and it's my office window.

Prayers for all dealing with good and not so good.

I am thrilled for you, Betsy! Lunch, laughing, crying and physically tired. Sounds like an amazing day. I will offer one piece of advice, from my realtor background. Don't sell for at least one year, if you don't have to. That first year has too much going on for you to make such a huge decision like that and most people who do say they made "the wrong one". If you already have this many questions, just stay put and live where you are and start making a list of what you want in your future forever home. You may find that you're already there. Just my two-cents and you can throw it in a wishing well if you like.

Allie, how I miss a heavy, sleeping baby in my lap.

Off to work now. Love you! Have a great day.

Carla, in MN
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,048 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Terri! Have a wonderful day and a marvelous year!

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    The kind of places Machka is talking about do exist round here, but the cost is as much as a 5 star hotel. I intend to stay put, maybe live on the ground floor if mobility becomes a problem, and put a wet room in the utility. I already have a cleaner and can easily get a gardener. Far cheaper than moving. Just to move house costs around £50,000. There are a few bungalows locally, but our ground floor is just as good. All our shops are around the corner, and the doctor is at the end of the road. Dentist just along the street. Hospital a £10 taxi ride away, or a free bus from the bottom of the road.
    I can't think of anywhere in the world I would rather live. :D I hope to keep fit as long as possible, but I know anything can happen. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. I do know that I am not going into any kind of nursing home. I do worry about DH.

Went out and bought Mediterranean vegetables for a roast with feta.
    Finished my latest French series. 'Standing Up' on Netflix. It's called 'Drôle' in French, Julie. Highly recommend. Now I've got to find a new one. :#

Love to all, especially those who are grieving or anxious. <3 ❤ 🧡 💛 💚 💙 💜

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• strongerfaith
    strongerfaith Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi All

@barbiecat Good thoughts for you and your husband!

@Whidislander You and your sister look alike. ❤️❤️

@Machka9 You did well for a beginner.. your strawberries look amazing.

@auntiebk Hello 🙂

@TerriRichardson112 Happy Birthday to you! 🎁
  • strongerfaith
    strongerfaith Posts: 43 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    fjk3yad7ojuq.jpeg

❤️

~Sorry the image is so big. Not my garden... just Pinterest.

fc in az

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)