MFP says to eat 300g of carbs a day

Options

Replies

• Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just read through all of the posts... wow some are so down to the penny. I don't have enough time to pull out my algebra scales just to eat at every meal.

I do not eat sugary foods, ever. But that's just me because I cannot control the cravings that come with them. Simple enough, but I do eat carbohydrates. Most are healthy, some aren't as much. But, so what?

I guess in all the years I've been "dieting" (which I never do anymore) when I get to do all or nothing I end up going off the deep end. Carbs aren't the enemy. Fats aren't the enemy. Too many calories is.

Good luck to us all!
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.

Baloney. Not proven. Caloric deficit. Brain aneurysm.

^^ Agreed

Not for everyone...

Yes, for everyone. Every. One. Your mouth is not a trans-dimensional vortex past which the laws of thermodynamics magically cease to apply.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.

^^ Agreed

Not for everyone...

Yes, for everyone. Every. One. Your mouth is not a trans-dimensional vortex past which the laws of thermodynamics magically cease to apply.

I am not disputing the laws of thermodynamics. Any "diet", when it works, works because it creates a calorie deficit... we know this. Calories matter, hormones matter as well. At 370lbs, there is a lot of metabolic damage that needs to be undone first. 300 grams of carbs for someone who has about 200lbs to lose is not metabolized the same way as 300 grams of carbs for someone with say 10lbs to lose.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs because I'm a vegan and eat lots of fruits and whole grains and whatnot. Good carbs, good. Bad carbs, bad.

Bad carbs bad? Please elaborate

This has been discussed before. The food companies found out a way to make processed carbohydrates store as fat even if you eat at a deficit. Catch up, man.

What am I catching up to, nonsense bro science?

Show me the processed carbs that you speak of. Just because you brought it up before doesn't make it true. Don't tell me you read it in a blog somewhere, show me actual evidence.

Well prove me wrong! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO MEAN? Ok so I read it in a blog. There, are you happy now?

I don't have to prove anything. I'm not the one claiming magical carbs exist.

I'm actually not happy.....I was expecting a tougher comeback. I'm leaving disappointed.

I've lost 13 pounds so far by only eating fruits. THAT is proof enough.

Ok. If you want to take the argument to that level.

I've lost 73 lbs eating barely any fruit while eating white flour tortillas, yellow rice and ice cream every day. Pizza every week.

73> 13

Obvious troll is obvious

How exactly am I trolling. Anyone that knows me knows my thoughts on food. You think I am going to make up what I eat to make a point? Feel free to view my diaries.

Typical, when someone has no way to solidify their argument they resort to name calling, well played.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/five-foods-should-never-be-your-grocery-cart
    I'll listen to the Dr.

Dr. OZ hahahahahaha what a complete joke!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^^ Agreed

Not for everyone...

I am not disputing the laws of thermodynamics. Any "diet", when it works, works because it creates a calorie deficit... we know this. Calories matter, hormones matter as well. At 370lbs, there is a lot of metabolic damage that needs to be undone first. 300 grams of carbs for someone who has about 200lbs to lose is not metabolized the same way as 300 grams of carbs for someone with say 10lbs to lose.

I don't agree and I am basing this totally of personal experience here but that 370 lb. person was probably consuming a heck of a lot more than 300 grams of carbs at that weight... I was consuming over 10,000 calories a day at 560 lbs. and my Dietician did the math based of what I told her my daily food intake was and at that time I was consuming over 1200 grams of carbs a day (easily) so dropping my carb intake (once I started my 2500 calories meal plan and a 40/30/30 macro split) down to 250 grams a day was essentially Low carbing from a stand point of where I was coming down from... I never ate below that amount of carbs and as my exercise increased (I couldn't even walk back then) so increased my carb intake.. I ate over 300 grams of carbs through the majority of my weight loss...
  • paleojoe
    Options

^^ Agreed

Not for everyone...

I don't agree and I am basing this totally of personal experience here but that 370 lb. person was probably consuming a heck of a lot more than 300 grams of carbs at that weight... I was consuming over 10,000 calories a day at 560 lbs. and my Dietician did the math based of what I told her my daily food intake was and at that time I was consuming over 1200 grams of carbs a day (easily) so dropping my carb intake (once I started my 2500 calories meal plan and a 40/30/30 macro split) down to 250 grams a day was essentially Low carbing from a stand point of where I was coming down from... I never ate below that amount of carbs and as my exercise increased (I couldn't even walk back then) so increased my carb intake.. I ate over 300 grams of carbs through the majority of my weight loss...

Hey that's a great transformation! Also a great point, from where you were starting from it was in a sense a low carb diet. That said, I don't think we are too far off from each other on this.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    300g carbs? seems fine to me

No if you weigh 370lbs. At that weight, you probably have chronically elevated insulin levels. All those carbs do nothing to fix that issue...
    ^ This.
    If you are say IMO, 10 - 20lbs from your goal weight then the story does change. As you get lighter, your workouts become more frequent and more intense and indeed do require more carbs.
    ^This

People want a simple, pat answer. But, sorry, bodies aren't simple.

If you are carrying a substantial amount of excess weight over a protracted period of time, guess what. There's a good chance that you've screwed up your metabolism. You've very likely exposed your body to very high levels of insulin for a long time. Over time this causes both insulin resistance and leptin resistance, both of which mess with a number of things in your body and if unaddressed for a yet longer extended period of time can lead to even worse metabolic problems including Type II diabetes. In such cases, weight loss in general helps. Also helpful is lowering blood suger loads/demands for insulin. You quite possibly need to reduce the amount of insulin circulating in your blood stream and to do that you either need to regularly deplete your glycogen stores through exercise or reduce your demand for insulin (and given the insulin resistence it may take a substantial reduction to cause a real change... that needs to occur). It works better if you can do both of these things.

On the other hand, if you're lean and regularly depleting your glycogen stores, you're most probably not dealing with having your leptin and insulin out of whack and you need to replenish your glycogen stores. Carbs are the most efficient way to do that. Protein can, but it's more complicated to do so and is less efficient. Depending on protein to do so will reduce athletic performance. So if you're doing high loads of exercise you need more carbohydrates than a sedentary person. You're body is actively using.

Everyone needs to maintain balance. If you're using your carbs efficiently, you need to consume them such that they maintain balance with your demands for them. High exercise needs more carbs. On the other hand an overweight, sedentary person who does not efficiently deplete energy and glycogen stores, needs to lower their insulin production, and to do so most probably needs to reduce carbs and increase exercise until they've restored balance (if they still can. Diet and exercise can (in some cases) reverse insulin resistance, but if it's gone too far such that you're dealing with type II diabetes, that's a more extensive problem)

Basically these two different scenarios need different solutions. There are nuances involved.

Balance is what you need either way, but the way to achieve that balance differs based on where you're beginning and what you are doing.

If your metabolism is already screwed up, you may have somewhat different needs than an active person trying to lean, bulk-up, or lose 10lbs.

Sounds like that should be obvious, but people continue to want simple, ubiquitous answers when the truth is that answers will vary based on individual needs -- including their medical history, their weight, their age, their hormones, and their activity level/exercise routine.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs because I'm a vegan and eat lots of fruits and whole grains and whatnot. Good carbs, good. Bad carbs, bad.

This has been discussed before. The food companies found out a way to make processed carbohydrates store as fat even if you eat at a deficit. Catch up, man.

Show me the processed carbs that you speak of. Just because you brought it up before doesn't make it true. Don't tell me you read it in a blog somewhere, show me actual evidence.

Well prove me wrong! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO MEAN? Ok so I read it in a blog. There, are you happy now?

I'm actually not happy.....I was expecting a tougher comeback. I'm leaving disappointed.

I've lost 73 lbs eating barely any fruit while eating white flour tortillas, yellow rice and ice cream every day. Pizza every week.

73> 13

Obvious troll is obvious

How exactly am I trolling. Anyone that knows me knows my thoughts on food. You think I am going to make up what I eat to make a point? Feel free to view my diaries.

Typical, when someone has no way to solidify their argument they resort to name calling, well played.

I'll listen to the Dr.

Dr. Oz is a reliable source. Did you go to medical school? Do you have a television show? Are you a gazillionaire? Didn't think so.
  • tmpecus78
    Options

Not posting nonsense. 30g of carbs a day? Weight loss should not be FAST. You don't get fat over night, so you should attempt to loose fat FAST.
  • scottaworley
    Options

Not posting nonsense. 30g of carbs a day? Weight loss should not be FAST. You don't get fat over night, so you should attempt to loose fat FAST.

I gained 5 pounds in one day once, so yes I did get fat over night.
  • paleojoe
    Options

You did not gain 5 pounds of fat overnight...
  • tmpecus78
    Options

73> 13

Obvious troll is obvious

I'll listen to the Dr.

Dr. Oz is a reliable source. Did you go to medical school? Do you have a television show? Are you a gazillionaire? Didn't think so.

Do I have a tv show? lol Extremely weak argument man. The whole good carb/bad carb debate is a utter joke. While some carbs have a higher glycemic index numbers then others, they are still just carbs and eat them for energy. In fact you will get the same amount of energy from eating 1g of white rice that you will get from eating 1g of oats. The truth if the matter is not in what type of carb you eat, but more in HOW much you eat.
  • tmpecus78
    Options

You did not gain 5 pounds of fat overnight...

THIS ^^
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Gaining 5 lbs over night is consuming 17, 500 cals over your maintenance. Yeah, not likely.
  • tmpecus78
    Options

You gained 5 pound of FAT overnight? No way in hell.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you're able to see a dietician, they can help you with what your targets should be. Especially if you have a health problem that needs to be addressed.

It's also worth noting that the quality of the carbs you eat is important too.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Come on guys... This is really way too easy.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    can we please stop quoting, it's starting to get on my nerves...just quote the last statement, we all get the joke
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    On a side note... if you are on a high fat diet, make sure your fat comes from grass fed cows, pastured pork and fowl, wild caught fish and organic high fat fruit (avocados for example). What your food ate and how it was grown has a big impact on your health. Where your food comes from matters...

I live in the "boonies" and we have a garden and raise or have friends that raise the cows, pigs etc. I also hunt so I mostly eat deer, elk, duck , pheasant and fish caught out of the stream. But fast food came into my little town a few years back and destroyed my life. I drink only water now and gave up the junk food (Chips, cookies, pie, etc) and try to only eat homegrown when I can. I still eat processed foods but I "try" to stay away. I usually workout twice a day for 30 minutes at a time. I have had 4 heart surgeries since birth so I have to kind of take it easy.
  • paleojoe
    Options
    On a side note... if you are on a high fat diet, make sure your fat comes from grass fed cows, pastured pork and fowl, wild caught fish and organic high fat fruit (avocados for example). What your food ate and how it was grown has a big impact on your health. Where your food comes from matters...

I live in the "boonies" and we have a garden and raise or have friends that raise the cows, pigs etc. I also hunt so I mostly eat deer, elk, duck , pheasant and fish caught out of the stream. But fast food came into my little town a few years back and destroyed my life. I drink only water now and gave up the junk food (Chips, cookies, pie, etc) and try to only eat homegrown when I can. I still eat processed foods but I "try" to stay away. I usually workout twice a day for 30 minutes at a time. I have had 4 heart surgeries since birth so I have to kind of take it easy.

Absolutely take it easy. For exercise, I would just walk as much as you can. Stick to whole real food that you can trace back to it's source. Judging by what you posted that should not be too hard. Just do your best and as Tony Horton says... forget the rest.