MFP says to eat 300g of carbs a day

Options
12346»

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    On a side note... if you are on a high fat diet, make sure your fat comes from grass fed cows, pastured pork and fowl, wild caught fish and organic high fat fruit (avocados for example). What your food ate and how it was grown has a big impact on your health. Where your food comes from matters...

I live in the "boonies" and we have a garden and raise or have friends that raise the cows, pigs etc. I also hunt so I mostly eat deer, elk, duck , pheasant and fish caught out of the stream. But fast food came into my little town a few years back and destroyed my life. I drink only water now and gave up the junk food (Chips, cookies, pie, etc) and try to only eat homegrown when I can. I still eat processed foods but I "try" to stay away. I usually workout twice a day for 30 minutes at a time. I have had 4 heart surgeries since birth so I have to kind of take it easy.

Have you had blood work done recently? Any health problems?
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    guys don't feed the troll.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.

Not posting nonsense. 30g of carbs a day? Weight loss should not be FAST. You don't get fat over night, so you should attempt to loose fat FAST.

+1
  • IshaAnderson18
    IshaAnderson18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So much bro science in this thread.
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Whoa I started a fight? I just meant that eating brown rice and whole grains and pseudograins and vegetables is healthier than eating white bread, white pasta, white flour, etc. Of course you CAN lose weight eating crap, but why would one want to be skinny and unhealthy when one could be fit and healthy?
    I don't see too big of issue with 300g of carbs per day if you are working out. Carbs translate into fuel for your body. BUT keep in mind the difference between "good carbs" and "empty calroie" carbs.

Banana= good carb
    Pastries= empty calorie carbs with little/no nutritional value

Us Sarahs gotta stick together! :D
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.

Baloney. Not proven. Caloric deficit. Brain aneurysm.

There does seem to be considerable evidence from the medical community about carbs, insulin, and fat (loss or gain). Those who are diabetic, insulin resistant, or have hit a wall with weight loss are doing well with managing those foods (carbs) which cause insulin spikes.

1.American Medical Association Council on Foods and Nutrition. A critique of low-carbohydrate ketogenic weight reduction regimens. A review of Dr. Atkins’ diet revolution. JAMA. 1973 Jun 4;224(10):1415-9. PubMed PMID: 4739993.
    2.“Diabetes mellitus.” Belinda Rowland., Teresa G. Odle., and Tish Davidson, A. M. The Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine. Ed. Laurie Fundukian. 3rd ed. Detroit: Gale, 2009. 4 vols.
    3.Blüher M, Michael MD, Peroni OD, Ueki K, Carter N, Kahn BB, Kahn CR. Adipose tissue selective insulin receptor knockout protects against obesity and obesity-related glucose intolerance. Dev Cell. 2002 Jul;3(1):25-38. PubMed PMID: 12110165.
    4.Cordain, Loren, and Joe Friel. The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance. Emmaus, Pa.: Rodale Books, 2005. Print.
    5.E.A. Newsholme and C. Start. Regulation of Metabolism. 173 ISBN: 0471635308
    6.Flatt, Jen-Pierre. Tremblay, Angelo. Energy Expenditure and Substrate Oxidation. In: Bray GA, Couchard d, James WP, eds. Handbook of Obesity. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1997: 513-538.
    7.Goldberg M, Gordon E. Energy Metabolism In Human Obesity. Plasma Free Fatty Acid, Glucose, And Glycerol Response To Epinephrine. JAMA. 1964 Aug 24;189:616-23. PubMed PMID: 14162576.-
    8.Havel PJ. Update on adipocyte hormones: regulation of energy balance and carbohydrate/lipid metabolism. Diabetes. 2004 Feb;53 Suppl 1:S143-51. Review. PubMed PMID: 14749280.
    9.Ludwig DS. The glycemic index: physiological mechanisms relating to obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. JAMA. 2002 May 8;287(18):2414-23. Review. PubMed PMID: 11988062.
    10.Newsholme, E. A., and C. Start. Regulation in metabolism . London: Wiley, 1973. Print.
    11.Obesity and leanness. Basic aspects. Stock, M., Rothwell, N., Author Affiliation: Dep. Physiology, St. George’s Hospital Medical School, London Univ., London, UK.
    12.Schenk S, Saberi M, Olefsky JM. Insulin sensitivity: modulation by nutrients and inflammation. J Clin Invest. 2008 Sep;118(9):2992-3002. Review. PubMed PMID: 18769626; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2522344.
    13.Whitehead, Saffron A.; Nussey, Stephen (2001). Endocrinology: an integrated approach. Oxford: BIOS. pp. 122. ISBN 1-85996-252-1.
    14.Wilcox G. Insulin and insulin resistance. Clin Biochem Rev. 2005 May;26(2):19-39. PubMed PMID: 16278749; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC1204764.
    15.York DA, Bray GA. Dependence of hypothalamic obesity on insulin, the pituitary and the adrenal gland. Endocrinology. 1972 Apr;90(4):885-94. PubMed PMID:4258778.
    16.York DA, Hansen B. Animal models of obesity. In: Bray GA, Couchard d, James WP, eds. Handbook of Obesity. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1997: 191-221
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Yes, for everyone. Every. One. Your mouth is not a trans-dimensional vortex past which the laws of thermodynamics magically cease to apply.

You might want to review the impact of hormones and enzymes on weight - once energy is ingested (carbs, protein, or fat), there's a whole different world called hormones that control how that energy is used. Basic physics is fine, but organic chemistry trumps your argument. Sorry, dude!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Whoa I started a fight? I just meant that eating brown rice and whole grains and pseudograins and vegetables is healthier than eating white bread, white pasta, white flour, etc. Of course you CAN lose weight eating crap, but why would one want to be skinny and unhealthy when one could be fit and healthy?
    I don't see too big of issue with 300g of carbs per day if you are working out. Carbs translate into fuel for your body. BUT keep in mind the difference between "good carbs" and "empty calroie" carbs.

Banana= good carb

In what context are they "healthier?" Seriously, why do you believe that an extra gram or two of fiber, and lowered bioavailability of vitamins/minerals, somehow makes it "healthier?" That's just silly.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I am on a NET of 20 carbs a day, carbs - fiber = Net Carbs (20)
    pounds fall off every week
    though I am closer to my goal and I now loose about 1.5 lbs a week

It is proven to work, just not everyone agrees with the method.

Diet shamer.

It isn't "shameful," per se, just unnecessary outside of a medical condition. Good luck with it. Me, I'll keep losing while eating yummy food.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

There does seem to be considerable evidence from the medical community about carbs, insulin, and fat (loss or gain). Those who are diabetic, insulin resistant, or have hit a wall with weight loss are doing well with managing those foods (carbs) which cause insulin spikes.

1.American Medical Association Council on Foods and Nutrition. A critique of low-carbohydrate ketogenic weight reduction regimens. A review of Dr. Atkins’ diet revolution. JAMA. 1973 Jun 4;224(10):1415-9. PubMed PMID: 4739993.
    2.“Diabetes mellitus.” Belinda Rowland., Teresa G. Odle., and Tish Davidson, A. M. The Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine. Ed. Laurie Fundukian. 3rd ed. Detroit: Gale, 2009. 4 vols.
    3.Blüher M, Michael MD, Peroni OD, Ueki K, Carter N, Kahn BB, Kahn CR. Adipose tissue selective insulin receptor knockout protects against obesity and obesity-related glucose intolerance. Dev Cell. 2002 Jul;3(1):25-38. PubMed PMID: 12110165.
    4.Cordain, Loren, and Joe Friel. The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance. Emmaus, Pa.: Rodale Books, 2005. Print.
    5.E.A. Newsholme and C. Start. Regulation of Metabolism. 173 ISBN: 0471635308
    6.Flatt, Jen-Pierre. Tremblay, Angelo. Energy Expenditure and Substrate Oxidation. In: Bray GA, Couchard d, James WP, eds. Handbook of Obesity. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1997: 513-538.
    7.Goldberg M, Gordon E. Energy Metabolism In Human Obesity. Plasma Free Fatty Acid, Glucose, And Glycerol Response To Epinephrine. JAMA. 1964 Aug 24;189:616-23. PubMed PMID: 14162576.-
    8.Havel PJ. Update on adipocyte hormones: regulation of energy balance and carbohydrate/lipid metabolism. Diabetes. 2004 Feb;53 Suppl 1:S143-51. Review. PubMed PMID: 14749280.
    9.Ludwig DS. The glycemic index: physiological mechanisms relating to obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. JAMA. 2002 May 8;287(18):2414-23. Review. PubMed PMID: 11988062.
    10.Newsholme, E. A., and C. Start. Regulation in metabolism . London: Wiley, 1973. Print.
    11.Obesity and leanness. Basic aspects. Stock, M., Rothwell, N., Author Affiliation: Dep. Physiology, St. George’s Hospital Medical School, London Univ., London, UK.
    12.Schenk S, Saberi M, Olefsky JM. Insulin sensitivity: modulation by nutrients and inflammation. J Clin Invest. 2008 Sep;118(9):2992-3002. Review. PubMed PMID: 18769626; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2522344.
    13.Whitehead, Saffron A.; Nussey, Stephen (2001). Endocrinology: an integrated approach. Oxford: BIOS. pp. 122. ISBN 1-85996-252-1.
    14.Wilcox G. Insulin and insulin resistance. Clin Biochem Rev. 2005 May;26(2):19-39. PubMed PMID: 16278749; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC1204764.
    15.York DA, Bray GA. Dependence of hypothalamic obesity on insulin, the pituitary and the adrenal gland. Endocrinology. 1972 Apr;90(4):885-94. PubMed PMID:4258778.
    16.York DA, Hansen B. Animal models of obesity. In: Bray GA, Couchard d, James WP, eds. Handbook of Obesity. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1997: 191-221

That is why I asked about bloodwork. I assume everybody to have normal health markers. If OP has a medical condition then obviously the approach will differ.
    I am on a NET of 20 carbs a day, carbs - fiber = Net Carbs (20)
    pounds fall off every week
    though I am closer to my goal and I now loose about 1.5 lbs a week

It is proven to work, just not everyone agrees with the method.

Diet shamer.

I am on a net of around 150 carbs per day. Pounds fall off every week. I'm not saying eat all carbs. Carb restriction is likely very necessary to get to a low BF%. Barring any medical condition, OP has a lot of room to lose weight without majorly restricting carbs. If OP were to cut to 30 carbs per day he would adapt to that level of carbohydrate intake and not be able to reach a low BF% when the time came. You can't really cut from 30. Just like you don't want to start out with too few calories you don't want to start out with too few carbs.

ETA: If OP has a medical condition my advice would be to not take my advice. See a dietician and take their advice.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Calculate lean mass here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lbm_calculator.htm

eat 1-1.5g of protein per lb of lean mass.

set your fat in grams to be .3-.40g per lb of IDEAL body weight

Carbs are what's left.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Banana= good carb

In what context are they "healthier?" Seriously, why do you believe that an extra gram or two of fiber, and lowered bioavailability of vitamins/minerals, somehow makes it "healthier?" That's just silly.

Banana's are good carbs, so if you eat one before exercise, it fuels your body!
    If you eat a pastry, which is a bad carb, it punches you in the face, which isn't good for your body