What was your "last straw"???

Options

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Having a full 10 minute conversation with a lady on the platform waiting for the tube about the difficulties of commuting while pregnant in very hot weather..... I didn't have the heart to tell her I wasn't pregnant....luckily, it wasn't the first time someone had made the mistake but I the shock at how easily I realised what she thought and was able to instantly go along made me realise it was happening too often and maybe it was time to take a good long look in the mirror!

People kept saying it was the dress I was wearing - but NO dress should make me look like I am 6months pregnant!!!!
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    Putting on an elasticated dress that used to be a bit big on me and realizing it was now too small and I couldn't even wear it anymore,

Sounds really vain but Ive always thought my body still looked ok despite a weight gain it was the realization I needed that I actually have gotten bigger
  • laurenlivvy
    Options
    Hitting 90kg. Seeing a round amount just brought it all home.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My engagement ring wouldn't go on...that was a bad day!
  • giftysales
    giftysales Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My clothes don't fit, my ring is tight, and my mood was poor......all signs that a change is due!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My last straw was going to the doctor (which I tend to avoid because they harp on me about my weight. Bad reason, I know), and seeing that I was now 343 pounds, where I had been at 310 two years before that. I knew my jeans were a little tighter, but I didn't realize that I'd gained that much weight. It just hit a limit in my brain and I decided that enough was enough. It coincided nicely with my cousin's independent decision to exercise, so we became weight loss buddies.
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For me it's seeing people I know out shopping, or out and about, and having them do a double -take at how much weight I've gained. I went from a size 4 to a 16. I see their eyes looking me up and down, trying to figure out what happened, trying to find a polite way to ask. One girlfriend did just last week come out and say "How did you get so fat?" All I could say is that I'm getting older and eating more. :blushing:
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Taking a picture with my son, and HATING how I looked in it, b/c I am fat. I want to LOVE or at least LIKE the picture I take with my children.
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had several last straws: My colleagues and I went out for lunch and I realized I could not fit into the booth; we had to move to a table. Everyone was tactful but I was so ashamed.
    We also had a colleague in our section who had lost her house in the tornadoes last spring and I wanted to help with the cleanup; my colleague and friend first gently tried to nudge me into not going and then more or less told me I am not in the shape to go help with the cleanup. I was so hurt though I knew he was right but I felt so humiliated and ashamed. I just cried after I was alone and I think hat was the point where I realized how much my weight really has impacted and hfe
  • ManderWebb
    Options
    I feel like I've had several "last straws" recently. Another one for me was on my birthday I wanted to go horseback riding in the Smokies... but come to find out, I was right at the maximum allowable weight. Like, wow, I'm so fat a horse can't carry me safely.
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    a girlfriend posted a picture of me on facebook and all I could see was gut.
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For me , it was when my scale tipped 240lbs (with no sign of slowing down), it hit me just how close I was to 250lbs.

That combined with how much pain my knees were causing me (and the cost of physical therapy at $150 a week) made me say "Enough's enough."
  • WhoMe93
    Options
    My last straw was going to the doctor and having blood pressure of 150/93 at 36 years old. My mother had died a year and a half before of congestive heart failure and other heart related issues, as well as obesity. She always said that my dad hoped he lived long enough to see what my kids did with their life, never dreaming that she wouldn't be here. My Dad died in April and now all my kids have is me. I have to be here for them.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm different. I never really had a "negative" straw to change my behavior. I have been fat since puberty and while I knew it I just lived with it.

My change came when I was at a party with a bunch of fitness friends who had enjoyed a lot of success on their Paleo diets and doing Crossfit.

I wanted to be like them so I started dieting.

So for me, it was influenced by a positive not a negative.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    After memorial Day. I had my weight where I wanted it for much of 2012, but got injured late in the year, and over the next 7 months put on 8 lbs gradually. I'd keep looking at the scale and say 'I've got to lose X', but never did it. I wasn't working out much, and wishing the weight would come off wasn't working.

Finally, I got disgusted after going north of 180 and drew a line in the sand. For two weeks I did a modified Atkins the get down to 174, and then I got fortunate and bumped into an old friend who a) invited me to his early morning running group and b) told me about MFP. Once I got this set up in mid June, I've been religious about logging in and keeping up with my workouts. My modest dreams of getting back to my 2004 weight were achieved by early August and now I am 2-3 lbs lower than that and feel great.

I recognize that many on here have much bigger issues than this, but when the clothes get tight, that's when you either buy new ones or just draw a line in the sand
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My last straw was realizing I was "one of the pack" at my 20th high school reunion and we ALL needed to lose weight. I had thought I'd be one of the more in shape folks, but was way wrong. I worked hard and lost all those pounds over the next few years and this year at my 25th reunion, I was pleased to be at my ideal weight! But it took a lot of time and dedication to get there!
  • loganmay2012
    Options
    When I put on a size 18 jeans and they didn't fit! I've never been over a size 16 in my life but realizing I was that big really hit me and finally enough was enough! I have 3 wonderful kids but i'm too tired to keep up with them. I'm only 22 I should be able to still have energy to play with my kids.
  • tastesliketuna
    Options
    First, I realized that I could not fit into my cosplay outfits anymore. (I wore and made those costumes when I was 190, at the time.) so when I looked at the scale and realized that I weighed more than ever (225 lb.), I thought, "I better do something.".

Looks like I won't be dressing up for this year's anime convention. But that's ok, too. I'll focus on me, this year.

One look in the mirror was all I needed, too.

I also have friends who blog about how they're recently eating differently (less red meat and no more frappuccinos from Starbucks.), so I also have a positive influence to motivate me, too. :)
  • kpaulako
    kpaulako Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had two. One several years ago after returning from a Disney trip and seeing the pictures. I realized I was way bigger than I saw myself in my head. Lost 67 lbs. Then last year and a half the weight crept back up 40 lbs. Well this past weekend I once again decided enough was enough. Back to the walks, back to the gym and back to not eating all the crap. Soda is OUT! I won't weigh myself for a month and see where I am :) I do NOT want to buy bigger clothes!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Similar to what lots of other people have said - we were on a cruise several months ago - I saw pics of me - and nearly died. I looked so chunky and bloated.....it was devastating. I've always worked out everyday for an hour - BUT - I also snacked uncontrollably as well - which undermined everything. I really thought because I worked out everyday - I could eat ANYTHING.......! As the saying goes, pictures don't lie............I was a really 'fit' chubby girl.............!
This discussion has been closed.