What was your "last straw"???

Options

Replies

• melmel525
    Options
    My last straw was making a project for my college class and using pictures from about two years ago and realising I barely look like that anymore! Time to get healthy and athletic again so I can fit back in my skinny jeans!
  • timmyg13
    Options
    For a while i've been saying that i'm going to start a diet, and i had tried all these fancy diets with shakes and muesli bars etc. but I kept on failing and would end up back where I started if not worse.

But last Saturday night I was taken to hospital with chest pain and was told it was a heart muscle strain and it was because i'm over weight. It was at the point when I saw the look of my brothers face when he saw me hooked up to all the machines that I decided Its time to do something and the time is now.:smile:

I have been using MFP for 1 week now and so far i'm going really, this time i'm not going give up.:happy:
  • bluesy8899
    bluesy8899 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hurting my knee from just plain asking it to bear so much weight. As I'm sitting there I realized that this is not how I want to live my life; I could conceivably end up very sick or crippled from so much weight. I have so much left to do and I want to have energy, stamina and above all, confidence in myself to be able to do it and live a life as I want rather than what I end up with.
  • forthehungergames
    Options
    After regaining weight dealing with B.E.D. I knew it was time to recover and lose the weight because I couldn't fit into my ''fat'' jeans anymore. I also felt 100times more sluggish that I used to when I was healthy and lost the twenty pounds.

Time to fit into my jeans before winter!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    4 years ago I was in an oncology center waiting to see my hematologist (not for cancer, but for a serious condition) when I realized what a dreadful future a lot of the people in the waiting room were facing. I realized that diet and exercise are the two factors you can control that impact your probability of getting cancer. Vowed to eat cleaner and better and have.
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Last august 2012, I went to marshalls , tried on a bathing suit, looked in the mirror and started to cry. I looked like a fat old lady( I was 38) I looked horrible, felt horrible. I found MFP in a magazine and decided to try it . Stuck with it, I am 6 lbs from goal, feel great, still have some work and toning to do, I battled my weight since puberty, then add 2 kids, etc..I am healthier now than I was in my 20's
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture with a friend that I always thought was larger than me. I looked huge in the picture!
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I used mfp here and there to drop a few lbs. when i was asked to be in a friend's wedding. Eventually, tough times hit and it was either start drinking and eating crap or do it the healthy way. I chose the healthier option.
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    After I lost almost 60 pounds, he reconnected with me ,telling me how pretty I am, flirting with me and asking me out. I turned that sucker down hard :bigsmile:

Good for you! :drinker:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I was 255 lbs when I delivered my older son. I'm 5'7", and although I'd struggled with my weight my entire adult life, I had never been anything close to that heavy (low 190s was as high as I'd typically go before dieting again).

My weight settled at 235.8 a few weeks later. I had no clothes that fit me, not even close. I joined MFP at two months postpartum and lost 82 lbs in a year on 1200 calories and cardio 6 days/week.

Then a year ago I got pregnant again, and even though I started from a lower weight, I gained more than with my first pregnancy. I was 240 at delivery and settled at 220 a couple of weeks later. I'm 3.5 months postpartum and 206.2.

I'm back again to do TDEE -20% plus cardio and strength (and eating back those calories plus my nursing "burn"), but I miss being fit and healthy, nevermind all my awesome clothes :)
  • PicoJulie
    Options
    My Dad's wife called me obese. Which I was close to, but not quite there (off by maybe 5 lbs.). This actually just made me really insecure for a while, but I didn't do anything about it. I was too depressed already by a series of events in my personal life. Then in the summer I saw a terrible picture of me jumping into a swimming pool that was posted horrifically on Facebook. This pushed me to get seriously back into exercising. I started getting into nutrition then too, but this wasn't enough. I was still sluggish. Just found MFP a couple weeks ago, and it has been such a help already!!! I didn't realize how much I was eating!
  • ArcyF
    ArcyF Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I put on a corset, cinched it to as small I possibly could, and I still couldn't hit 30"
    I thought that if I could hit at least 30", then maybe I wasn't THAT fat, but "Oh, I won't deny that my (belly) doesn't lie, and I'm starting to feel it's (wrong)" --style of *Hips Don't Lie*
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    the only time I wasn't in pain was when I was sleeping. My blood pressure was hypertensive and it was getting hard just to walk.

5'1
    hw=202
    sw=190
    pw=129.2
    gw=115-120
  • dobfankris
    Options
    Reading through the many replies, I can agree with every "my favorite pants/shirt no longer fit" or "I saw a recent photo of myself" story. For me it was more than one event - although the one that stands out in my mind the most was a photo of myself with my daughter while hiking at our favorite spot. I had memories of "fit me" at the same hike just years earlier, and knew I was headed down the wrong road unless I made a lifestyle change.
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It was lots of things, the pain in my back when I stood for more than 2 minutes, the swelling in my leg, the pain in my feet or the fact that I had eventually realised I was massive! Talk about being deluded - I was wallowing in denial for years!
  • changingmylife85
    Options
    My last straw was being told, at 28, by my doc I gotta lose the weight. And being 5 months post partum and still wearing my maternity pants...yep, I'm done! So, I'm doing it. Slowly but surely. I'm not dieting, I'm trying to change my life. As well as my families' life. They're seeing an improvement overall with themselves and me.
  • 5walters
    Options
    My last straw was seeing my moms health worsening and not wanting to be in that position myself. Plus I didn't want my kids to be ashamed of me.
  • dmitriunkovsky
    Options
    I was diagnosed last February with congestive heart failure and I didn't keep a close enough eye on my weight, so a few months ago I had a bad heart attack. I made it, which was a miracle, but I have to lose about 40 pounds before I can stop worrying. A little bit after the heart attack, my friend told me about MFP and I joined, figuring it'd probably help me along.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation last December and I thought I looked cute in some of the new clothes I bought for the cruise. Then, when I saw pictures, I didn't even recognize myself!
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    At well over 200 for over the last 5 year I knew I had to do something. I tried so many times, and just can't quite this time. I'm getting under 200 before 2014!!!! well before
This discussion has been closed.