What to eat before walking

Options
1235»

Replies

• new_bella
    new_bella Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE OP?
    [/quote]
    ^^^
    ZACKLY!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Whatever the hell you want because walking isn't that serious and doesn't take a special diet to maintain? :huh:

Like. Put some peanut butter on your banana or throw the banana into some oatmeal, idk. Maybe some flax or whatever people eat these days.

Walking isn't that serious is a matter of your opinion and really depends upon an individuals circumstances. Based upon your photo, a slim body like yours walking probably isn't that serious but for someone who weighs over 400lbs and hasn't exercised in a long time walking can be a very serious activity. Also it can depend upon the weather circumstances. It's much easier to walk in a warm climate but try walking for a while in over a foot of snow during the winter and then tell me it's not that serious. Then again you know what they say about opinions? They're like a-holes everybody's got one.

I grew up in Northern Pennsylvania. Even in the middle of winter when I was an obese teenager wearing five layers to keep warm...walking wasn't serious enough to warrant its own special snack.

Eat whatever. Its a walk. Holy crap. Taking crap too serious.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I'm in the mood for a walk now.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Be sure to pack enough food and water for the apocalypse. WALKING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Walks are nice. I just walked to and from the gym, it was very soothing. The sunset was nice, the breeze smelled of salt water and wasn't sticky, it wasn't 87+ degrees for a change. It took me a little time (I'm no record breaker) but I liked it.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Do you like nuts and fruit? If so, I suggest two moms in the raw bars. They are 'granola' type bars, but not typical and quite tasty. They are also vegan and organic.

If you are willing to stop being vegan for a bit, I suggest you eat the poster posse that showed up in your thread. It's one way to get rid of them, albeit they probably aren't very nutritious or tasty. :glasses:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Whatever the hell you want because walking isn't that serious and doesn't take a special diet to maintain? :huh:

Like. Put some peanut butter on your banana or throw the banana into some oatmeal, idk. Maybe some flax or whatever people eat these days.

Wait. Walking isn't that serious?

Damnit tell me that now. I've just walked half a marathon before 1:30pm & will have walked double that by the time I get back from the supermarket.

Walking not serious? Since when?

Try hiking 60 miles with a 60 pound pack through mountains with no sleep.

Walking little Toto isn't serious.

And a walking a half marathon? My 7 y.o. has walked further than that with me.

A day....I walk a marathon a day, every day. Have done since November. Try doing that daily, with 4 hours sleep a night & then carrying all your grocery shopping as well....daily.

Yeah walking the dog aint serious but damnit to generalize ALL walking as not serious?

You actually walk 26 miles a day?

Because that's like... 8 hours a day of walking.
  • DavPul
    Options
    She completes it in half the time.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options

Damnit tell me that now. I've just walked half a marathon before 1:30pm & will have walked double that by the time I get back from the supermarket.

So you walked 26 miles? How long did that take you?

Depends on my mood, but it can take me about 4 hours if I'm in a great mood. Walking serious enough for you.

You walk 26 miles in 4 hours?

Threadjacking be damned.

In...

...to learn how to improve my marathon time...

...by walking the whole thing...

...(in a certain mood, of course).

Well, what you do is walk half of it in 4 hours. Then take however long it takes to get back from the supermarket. I believe the confusion here is that when someone is asked how long something has taken them at the half way point, they generally won't say how long it will take them to finish.

13.1 miles in 4 hours is doable. Just need to walk at an average pace of 3.275 mph.

Not uploaded to Garmin Connect in a while so don't have any of my recent long walks (times are total, rather than time moving, so do include stopping off at supermarkets and McDonald's)...

19.37 miles in 6:13:48 (adjusted, 13.1 miles in 4:12:49): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/317231718
    17.39 miles in 4:40:47 (adjusted, 13.1 miles in 3:31:31): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/312103154
    13.58 miles in 4:24:19 (adjusted, 13.1 miles in 4:14:59): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/303682295
    ETA: just uploaded my most recent planned walk at that distance (although there was running for a train at the end of it): 13.35 miles in 3:41:34: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/367395737

OP, before my shorter walks, runs, and weight training, I usually have a slice or two of peanut butter on toast if I'm hungry and have the calories available. If not, I might just move my meals around (e.g. I just moved breakfast forward 2 hours so I'm not hungry on my run and will be having my porridge and dinner from yesterday after I lift in a couple of hours, might have something before I lift but don't know yet).

On my longer walks I typically have a Snickers at the 6 mile mark and then a Snickers every 3 miles. If it is a daytime walk I might substitute for something from McDonald's. Fuelling a long walk with oatmeal and raisin cookies is about as good as fuelling it with honeydew and cantaloupe melon, or fuelling it with bananas - doesn't really work for me.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Do you like nuts and fruit? If so, I suggest two moms in the raw bars. They are 'granola' type bars, but not typical and quite tasty. They are also vegan and organic.

If you are willing to stop being vegan for a bit, I suggest you eat the poster posse that showed up in your thread. It's one way to get rid of them, albeit they probably aren't very nutritious or tasty. :glasses:

Umm, no, I'm pretty sure I'd be delicious. And, as long as she can fit it in her macros, I'm sure perfectly nutritious as well.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    She completes it in half the time.

Then she is a world record holder, surely.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

So you walked 26 miles? How long did that take you?

Depends on my mood, but it can take me about 4 hours if I'm in a great mood. Walking serious enough for you.

You walk 26 miles in 4 hours?

Threadjacking be damned.

In...

...to learn how to improve my marathon time...

...by walking the whole thing...

...(in a certain mood, of course).

Well, what you do is walk half of it in 4 hours. Then take however long it takes to get back from the supermarket. I believe the confusion here is that when someone is asked how long something has taken them at the half way point, they generally won't say how long it will take them to finish.

13.1 miles in 4 hours is doable. Just need to walk at an average pace of 3.275 mph.

Not uploaded to Garmin Connect in a while so don't have any of my recent long walks (times are total, rather than time moving, so do include stopping off at supermarkets and McDonald's)...

19.37 miles in 6:13:48 (adjusted, 13.1 miles in 4:12:49): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/317231718
    17.39 miles in 4:40:47 (adjusted, 13.1 miles in 3:31:31): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/312103154
    13.58 miles in 4:24:19 (adjusted, 13.1 miles in 4:14:59): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/303682295
    ETA: just uploaded my most recent planned walk at that distance (although there was running for a train at the end of it): 13.35 miles in 3:41:34: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/367395737

OP, before my shorter walks, runs, and weight training, I usually have a slice or two of peanut butter on toast if I'm hungry and have the calories available. If not, I might just move my meals around (e.g. I just moved breakfast forward 2 hours so I'm not hungry on my run and will be having my porridge and dinner from yesterday after I lift in a couple of hours, might have something before I lift but don't know yet).

On my longer walks I typically have a Snickers at the 6 mile mark and then a Snickers every 3 miles. If it is a daytime walk I might substitute for something from McDonald's. Fuelling a long walk with oatmeal and raisin cookies is about as good as fuelling it with honeydew and cantaloupe melon, or fuelling it with bananas - doesn't really work for me.

Sure 13 is doable in 4 hours. How about the 26m daily being claimed, 7 days per week. By someone who, iirc, also fully fasts (water only) 3 of those days? The health benefits must be immense.

In any case. Back to the op. We all remember her, right?

Op, you are taking a very slow stroll - 2mph? No special food needed. Just relax and enjoy it. An apple in your pocket should do the trick if you get peckish.

Someone mentioned the calories burned walking as per mfp. Please be aware the mfp estimate for calories on a slow walk is *very generous*slow.

Enjoy walking the pup though. That time is well spent with him.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I do most of my walking in bed. I can keep some fresh food on the night stand.

her-morning-elegance-o.gif

Op: If you're hungry. Eat. Eat what you like. Why is this such a difficult issue.

As to the hijacks. C'mon people. I don't know, this thread had such potential. Why so serious? The ministry of silly walks. Stilts. Cats walking on ceilings. Rocky horror? On your game!

Disappointed.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Umm, no, I'm pretty sure I'd be delicious. And, as long as she can fit it in her macros, I'm sure perfectly nutritious as well.

Interesting. Then let's fry you up and serve you with a side of npd.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    In the morning I have 2 cups black decaf coffee & a banana. About 1-1/2 hours later I walk 2 miles with my dog. It takes us just under an hour which includes her stopping to sniff the bushes & roll around in the grass sometimes. Lately I've been trying to increase our pace. About half way through our walk I've been getting hungry. What should I eat before to take me through the walk? No dairy, no eggs, no meat -- I'm vegan. I don't like protein bars or energy bars & I don't have a blender for smoothies. And how long before I walk should I eat?

Well, this thread has become quite the bun fight, hasn't it?

For some people, walking IS exercise. Let's remember that we're not all gym bunnies, ok people?

OP, personally, hungry or not, I don't think you need a snack. First, you have enough glycogen stored to last you for 1.5 hours of intense exercise. You're walking at 2mph for an hour. If you really want to have something, then a banana would be fine. You're not exercising vigorously, so you can eat it straight before you go.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    In the morning I have 2 cups black decaf coffee & a banana. About 1-1/2 hours later I walk 2 miles with my dog. It takes us just under an hour which includes her stopping to sniff the bushes & roll around in the grass sometimes. Lately I've been trying to increase our pace. About half way through our walk I've been getting hungry. What should I eat before to take me through the walk? No dairy, no eggs, no meat -- I'm vegan. I don't like protein bars or energy bars & I don't have a blender for smoothies. And how long before I walk should I eat?

For some people, walking IS exercise. Let's remember that we're not all gym bunnies, ok people?

OP, personally, hungry or not, I don't think you need a snack. First, you have enough glycogen stored to last you for 1.5 hours of intense exercise. You're walking at 2mph for an hour. If you really want to have something, then a banana would be fine. You're not exercising vigorously, so you can eat it straight before you go.

Not one person said walking isn't exercise.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but for me I don't eat anything before me walks. I find that if I eat, my stomach feels slushy while walking.. I sometimes feel hungry, and think about what I will eat when I get home, and this helps me get through the walk. Today I walked one hour, and then came home and ate my breakfast.. You have to do what works for you....
  • DavPul
    Options

I'm afraid I don't understand the reason for your condescending remarks. Not one person said walking wasn't exercise. In fact, everyone said exactly what you said in your second sentence.

I think you owe all of the gym bunnies an apology.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I'm afraid I don't understand the reason for your condescending remarks. Not one person said walking wasn't exercise. In fact, everyone said exactly what you said in your second sentence.

I think you owe all of the gym bunnies an apology.

^This