• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    DH is planning to call the clinic tomorrow. He wants to talk to his doctor. A telephone call with his doctor is a very good idea. The new system takes some learning. Advice from his doctor is a very good idea. ⭐️

DH has been diabetic since we were in college & is very good at taking care of himself. He will work it out with his doctor.

We're more concerned about you and how you're doing.

Have you been to see your doctor?

And we're glad to hear that your kids will likely be coming to visit sooner rather than later for both of you.

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Machka - so true, no choice but to go through it.

Heather - beautiful photos. Calm seas must be wonderful!

Ginny - as an adult that loves when people purge I bet your son and DIL really appreciate it.

Lisa - I donate too, I don’t do garage sales, seems like a lot of work.

Barbie - it’s funny what is actually short on shelves. Odd things.

Carla - 20 years in a big rig is a long time for the wife at home. My DH did it for 7

Katla - I hope you allow your children to help when needed. Hope DH has had some good days. This must be a stressful time for you.

Michele - I’m like you I don’t know what spices go together and I can’t create something on my own.

Kim - those sound delicious.

Tracey
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Good morning. New port. Just a short trip today. A sandy beach walk and a pretty fishing village where there was a dreadful avalanche once. We are seeing the new fence they have put up.
    Sun starting to come out. Here's hoping.
    We did our gymming this morning. :D

Love Heather xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Sunday --

Walk/Run on Treadmill

Distance: 6.68km
    Time: 1:08:09
    Pace: 10:12/km

Plus some work in the garden - who would have thought I'd be pulling weeds at the end of June!

Exercise for CKD ... and life in general

"If you’re wondering how often you should do physical activity, and for how long, Australian guidelines (for adults aged 18-64) suggest:
    • aim to be active on most, preferably all, days of the week
    • 150-300 minutes of moderate activity per week (e.g. walking, gardening, using the stairs instead of the lift) or 75-150 minutes of vigorous activity (e.g. jogging, circuit class, weights)
    • do muscle strengthening activities twice per week.
    • try to break up long periods of sitting as often as possible."

https://kidney.org.au/your-kidneys/living-with-kidney-disease/health-and-wellbeing/exercise

300 minutes/week is 43 minutes a day or 50 minutes 6 days a week.

So far in June, I've exercised 18 hours (1080 minutes). That's 42 minutes a day.

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0021/146442/renal-ckd.pdf
    Nutrition and early-stage kidney disease

These are some general tips:
    • Eat regular meals e.g. breakfast, lunch and dinner
    • Eat a variety of foods from all the food groups - especially plant-based foods and wholegrains
    • Aim for a colourful mix of fruit (2 servings a day) and vegetables (5 servings a day)
    • Don’t eat too much protein (see explanation below)
    • Use herbs and spices to flavour foods instead of salt
    • Cook fresh as much as possible, and eat less unhealthy options such as ultraprocessed foods, takeaways, and soft drinks

This is a good guide for a healthy dinner plate:

h1vybsm9r7vu.png

The article goes on to explain the recommended quantities of salt, protein, potassium and phosphate

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Heather – Iceland looks very inviting to those of us sweltering in the heat right now. Majestic and raw terrain for sure. Keep an eye out for Icelandic Sheep for me. The Shetlands we raised were close cousins. That cheese plate looked scrumptious!

Carol – that price heat pump-A/C replacement isn’t surprising. I got the new unit installed on Friday, and yesterday it got a good cooling workout. The outside unit is quiet and quite a bit smaller than the one we had put in 15 years ago.

Tracey - yep, you and your daughters do look like sisters! Several of my friends are huge fans of Garth Brooks - glad you were able to see him!

Kim – those fires are so scary! Several years ago when SW WA State had a drought and forest fires, planes flew over our house to drop fire retardant on a blaze a mile or so away. Yep, they flew pretty low. Have you had any luck finding a place that’s closer to you for your mom?

Sue – so glad to see you back posting again.

That reminds me – has anyone heard from Janetr?

Debbie – MIL’s diminishing appetite reminds me so much of DH in the last months of his life. It’s also mentioned in the death booklet. Good for you sticking to your guns. I think it would be a good idea to get someone from home health care to come and assess MIL. They see things family caregivers don’t see plus can give good advice. Our doc was trying to get that set up for DH with the idea of getting him into hospice when DH’s health took a turn for the worse.

Margaret – so very sorry to hear about Drew’s health problems. Glad to hear you are looking into alternative therapy like nutrition. She has been such an important part of your life this past few years. All of the things you mention were likely stressors for her. Agree 100% about the lawns that look like golf courses. We have a dandelion and pasture grass lawn because we refused to put “weed and feed” on it.

RVRita – so glad you found a functional medicine doctor! The one I ran across 20 years ago changed my life. Unfortunately, she retired shortly after she got me on the right track with supplements. It appears Naturopaths in my community are picking up the slack.

Beth - with this toe thing and the crazy weather, I've been hitting the fridge and after supper crackers/snacks way too much as well. I need to curtail it. It dawned on me I was eating much better when DH was here, even though he didn't eat much or liked to eat what I cooked. At least I made a better effort and maybe I was burning calories due to stress?

Pip- do you still have that boot? Send it up here!

I’ve had the windows open, cool breeze is cooling the house down. I’ve been on a mission to keep energy costs down. DH was always cold, so had the heat on a lot, especially a space heater by his sofa in the living room. I’m also more mindful of turning off lights and other things that use electricity. It will be interesting this fall and winter, I don’t plan to use the woodstove a lot – but will get some firewood ready in just in case we lose power for a few days.

The sun will soon be up and I’ll resume spraying before it gets windy.

Have a fabulous Sunday!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I lost a post because I paused to check Teddy for fleas. He got the Frontline Gold yesterday, and he still has a few fleas today. Poor baby. I tried to do a stripe down his spine but it got off center.

Katla thinking of you and your DH. Hope things go smoothly.

Machka I probably eat too much protein. My kidneys aren't as good as they used to be.

Heather beautiful pictures!

Have a wonderful day,
    Annie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka I probably eat too much protein. My kidneys aren't as good as they used to be.

Heather beautiful pictures!

Have a wonderful day,
    Annie

I already eat less than the "recommended" amount of protein. I am not fond of meat so I don't eat a lot of it. I get my protein from a bit of cheese, yogurt, some nuts, chickpeas, etc.

We lean fairly heavily toward a vegetarian diet. Not completely ... because we will eat some chicken and fish.

But yes, apparently protein is hard on kidneys.

M in Oz

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,392 Member
    Options
    Greetings from the furnace that is Arkansas this morning... The promised rain never showed up this morning. I set my poor hostas out a couple weeks ago, right after lots and lots of rain, and they're suffering in this heat. Corey waters them every day, but the temperatures are just too much for them.

But, while it was not completely scorching, I went out and played with the new self-propelled, battery-driven mower. Really liked not having to deal with filling the mower with gas, as I inevitably get it on my shoes or my gloves, and until I get in the shower, the smell follows me around. There's a learning curve, for sure, but there have been definite improvements, including adjustable speed, so Corey can max it for his long legs and I can minimize it for my short little stumpy ones.

Last but not least, it has 42 minutes of battery life, which is a safety valve for me. I don't always know when to quit, and that will keep me from overdoing.

Corey's going out to see how much progress he can make on the storeroom this morning, and I'm going to stay inside in the cool. I feel guilty, like I'm letting down my partner, but the heat is more than I can take.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    We have a bright sunshiny morning. The river seems to be sparkling. 😎 This week DH has an appointment for a haircut on Tuesday morning. 😊 This morning I took my bone density pill for the week. ⭐️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) It is going to be a super warm day for us so I've planned accordingly. On my walk this morning I saw several people where I usually see none that early on Sunday. All were getting out early to beat the heat. I have some outdoor stuff planned for before noon then will catch up on computer related projects in the afternoon in the air conditioned house.

<3 Barbie in warm NW WA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Greetings from the furnace that is Arkansas this morning... The promised rain never showed up this morning. I set my poor hostas out a couple weeks ago, right after lots and lots of rain, and they're suffering in this heat. Corey waters them every day, but the temperatures are just too much for them.

But, while it was not completely scorching, I went out and played with the new self-propelled, battery-driven mower. Really liked not having to deal with filling the mower with gas, as I inevitably get it on my shoes or my gloves, and until I get in the shower, the smell follows me around. There's a learning curve, for sure, but there have been definite improvements, including adjustable speed, so Corey can max it for his long legs and I can minimize it for my short little stumpy ones.

Last but not least, it has 42 minutes of battery life, which is a safety valve for me. I don't always know when to quit, and that will keep me from overdoing.

Corey's going out to see how much progress he can make on the storeroom this morning, and I'm going to stay inside in the cool. I feel guilty, like I'm letting down my partner, but the heat is more than I can take.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa - I'm looking for a self-propelled mower and have been considering battery operated for trimming and getting under trees. Please share make/model if you get a chance. I see a lot of them on the market right now, all kinds of prices. It's overwhelming.

All of my "husbands" here in the neighborhood have the gas ones, which might be better for longer grass (it got away from all of us due to the wet spring here.) But battery might be just as good.

Thanks!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka—Have you tried tofu? It is plant based and has healthy protein.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    <3B) 👽