July 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Any bright ideas on how I can tell my husband, who is finishing up jobs and getting ideas, that I can't just up and go on a road trip next month because that's when the really long runs in this training cycle are scheduled and I don't want to have to get up at stupid o'clock and run for hours in places I don't know... without actually mentioning running because that would cause a fight?
    I've tried 'too much work' (he says he'll get me a laptop and internet), 'can't leave mini-me for that long' (he wants to send her to his parents), 'too hot' (we'll go up north, it's cooler there)...
    Help!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Thunder and lightening this morning so I used the treadmill in one of the on-site gyms at work. Played with elevation and got caught on my YouTube videos. I watched an Australian couple and their two small children who live on a sailboat (Sailing La Vagabond) and another couple who are currently touring Tuscany region of Italy and surprisingly the time passed fairly quickly. My pace was fairly easy. I didn't discover how easy until I finished and realized I didn't cover as much ground as I do outside during that same time period. Brings my mileage up to 55.64/70 for the month.

@kgirlhart - Glad your mom is recovering well.
    @mari33a - So sorry about your son's accident. I hope he recovers and heals quickly.
    @7lenny7 - Kody is such a pretty boy. Sending him and you a big hug.
    @eleanorhawkins - I guess you tried suggesting a time after your target race?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    What beautiful views @polskagirl01! You earned them!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins and @Scott6255 - you all make me thankful for my husband's lack of interest. I used to wish he was more enthusiastic about my races and maybe come to cheer me on but I will take his ambivalence any day now!

@polskagirl01 - I too was really intrigued by the Lego festival. We got our (adult) daughter a big Lego set one year for Christmas to play with all her friends. They would get together for dinners and have Lego building competitions. I am pretty sure there was likely wine or other similar beverages involved as well.

@7lenny7 - I meant to mention that I am glad you like the Tifosi sunglasses. I recently purchased a 2nd pair - got the fototec ones that get darker in the bright sun. They work great when it is cloudy and changing to be sunnier and I am sure would be great if I got up early enough to run when it was dark transitioning to sunlight. The Goodr sunglasses don't fit me well and seem to slip around and even though they are much cheaper, I really prefer the style of the Tifosi and they are small enough that they fit well and really don't move at all.

Rest/cross training day for me today. Got in 4.65 yesterday, bringing me to 53.7 for the month. I tried a new pair of shoes that I got on sale with Prime Day. They are pretty comfortable and a lot more cushioned than I am used to but they rubbed my heels so now I have blisters there. I am going to try putting some moleskin along the heel area and see if that helps. Several reviewers commented about it and it makes me think it is in the design of the shoe.

Seems like it is pretty hot and stormy everywhere (except for our friends in NZ) - stay safe and hydrate everyone. Heatstroke is a real issue!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins I very much empathize with your predicament. ANYTIME I bring running into the conversation, my wife has a hissy fit and thinks I am being selfish (even though I ALWAYS do my running when everyone else is still asleep...so as not to impact any family plans). I haven't figured out how to have a non-confrontational discussion with her when it comes to running. So I just don't speak of it, and go about my business and deal with the repercussions.

Ha, yeah, pretty much the same here. My so-called obsession with running is apparently to blame for pretty much everything *rolls eyes*
    I'm currently trying for a compromise in the shape of a few weekdays at a beachside location a few hours' drive away... if I can get away with that I can get my long runs out of the way at home at the weekends and do short(er) weekday runs by the beach and call it an elevation cutback week. Fingers crossed I can get away with that.

I like this idea /\
    These running-resentful spouses don't know what they're missing!

@shanaber I saw a dog the other day that I think was a Viszla... Same sweet face like Hobbes, but unfortunately this one was very overweight. At least his owners had him out for a walk (and swim). He was pretty friendly too, so I got to pet him 🙂
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    July Goal: 110 Miles

7/1: 2.02 miles
    7/3: 10.26 miles
    7/5: 6.02 miles
    7/6: 6.02 miles
    7/7: 7.06 miles
    7/10: 10.02 miles
    7/12: 6.02 miles
    7/13: 6.02 miles
    7/15: 2.52 miles
    7/18: 5.26 miles
    7/19: 5.26 miles
    7/20: 5.30 miles
    7/21: 5.26 miles

77.04/110 miles completed for July

There's not much to say about today's run. It was hot again and I ran the same 5 miles as yesterday. It wasn't as hot this afternoon as it has been. It was only 101°F and not 111°F. But it was still 88°F or so this morning.

Beautiful pictures @polskagirl01 !

exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    I'm way behind on commenting again. I have hugged and liked as appropriate. I'll try to do better moving forward. You are all doing great with your running. You are inspiring me to get back out there and do better and go further myself. I'm just been in a running slump since my FL trip.

@7lenny7 So sorry to hear that Kody is going down quickly. It made me tear up reading about it. It is hard to make that decision, but I pray you will know when the time is right....for both you and Kody. Big hugs.

@Mari33a So sorry about your son's car wreck, but glad it wasn't more serious. I hope he heals quickly.

Great running in those conditions @kgirlhart . Glad your mom is doing better and hope you hear from the insurance soon. Hugs regarding your daughter's diagnosis. It is hard to know what to believe when you get two opposing diagnoses.

@katharmonic That is really, really hot! You are amazing to get out and run at all. I bet your heart sunk when you saw the sprinklers turning off. I would have cried.

@eleanorhawkins Maybe you can find some really neat trip/excursion that is a couple of months away to tempt him with instead and get him to delay said road trip. Like maybe wait until the fall and go to Vermont to see the trees? When is your marathon?

@Teresa502 I'm glad you have the gym as a backup on stormy days.

@polskagirl01 Love the picture dump. That looks like a great place for a run/hike. Funny about the mom and her daughter. I think I would have just walked on too and told her to wait there until I got back. I think your idea of doing the other ascent is a great idea. It should help you mentally overcome when you get to the race.

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,800 Member
    Options
    It was 95° when I got up at 4:30. I got in about 2.5 miles and quit. It was too hot and the sun wasn't even up yet. 🥵

I guess I should be thankful our morning pre Sun lows are 78 F then. WOW.

Up to 82.2 miles for the month. Not one of the more impressive months but I think the high temps and lack of rain are dragging me down a little.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Wow @RunsOnEspresso ! That's hot indeed. You did great to get in 2.5 miles.

I mowed the rest of my lawn this morning. I had to wait until it dried enough, so didn't get out until 11:10. It was 82F with a feels like of 87F. I mowed, trimmed, and blew the grass off of the surfaces, taking 1.5 hours. After resting a bit, I went out to do a driveway wun at 2:30...running enough to keep my HR up. I did 2.0 miles in 29:21 minutes. The temp had gone up to 86F, but the humidity had gone down, so the feels like was 88F - almost exactly the same as for mowing.

I'm only up to 36.7 miles for the month. That 70 mile goal is probably out of reach, but we shall see.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    July Goal: 110 Miles

7/1: 2.02 miles
    7/3: 10.26 miles
    7/5: 6.02 miles
    7/6: 6.02 miles
    7/7: 7.06 miles
    7/10: 10.02 miles
    7/12: 6.02 miles
    7/13: 6.02 miles
    7/15: 2.52 miles
    7/18: 5.26 miles
    7/19: 5.26 miles
    7/20: 5.30 miles
    7/21: 5.26 miles
    7/22: 1.61 miles

78.61/110 miles completed for July

I ran a mile and a half this morning. It was only 80°F and kind of drizzly. I have been counting walking for my mile per day streak, but I was short on time this morning so I ran instead of walking.

I don't really know how accurate the VO2Max is on Garmin, but I still thought this was pretty cool. I have never had that high of a number before.
    na6hsjak6r4a.jpg

@runsonesspresso We have had several mornings lately where it has been in the upper 80s and lower 90's. It has been brutal.

exercise.png

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @kgirlhart That is a great VO2Max number. Cool that your fitness age is 20 too! You are doing great, and, as you know, I count fast walks for my streak too. As long as you're moving and doing something, I think it should count. I know not everyone agrees with that, but I guess it depends on what your personal goals are.

@marisap2010 Sorry for such a hard week. I hope next week is much better. You did great getting in what you could. I haven't had swollen ankles, so am no help there.

Great run this morning @Scott6255 , especially since so much stuff went wrong.

Has anyone heard from @skippygirlsmom lately?