๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€***JULY 2022 WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE***๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Options

Replies

• 3rdtimelosesit
    3rdtimelosesit Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    [quoteI apparently gave myself permission to wander off the path in June to celebrate a life event. I wasn't pleased with the results, but what other results could there be? I hit a local maximum about June 27, and now I'm back to where I was back in mid-June.[/quote]

Mishaps will happen along our journeys' path. We have to forgive ourselves and give in to the reality of life and that special events will happen. We deserve to enjoy ourselves. So dust yourself off and resume the journey. It was a minor deviation. It's all good. Hope you enjoyed yourself!!

• joaniecard
    joaniecard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    July Start Weight: 196
    July Goal Weight: 190
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 155

July 1: 196
    July 8:
    July 15:
    July 22:
    July 28:
    July 31:
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    apparently gave myself permission to wander off the path in June to celebrate a life event. I wasn't pleased with the results, but what other results could there be? I hit a local maximum about June 27, and now I'm back to where I was back in mid-June.

Mishaps will happen along our journeys' path. We have to forgive ourselves and give in to the reality of life and that special events will happen. We deserve to enjoy ourselves. So dust yourself off and resume the journey. It was a minor deviation. It's all good. Hope you enjoyed yourself!!

In this particular case, there's nothing to forgive! It was a celebration, not a transgression. Remember - I gave myself permission to wander off the path for a bit. I wouldn't have expected any other outcome. That doesn't mean I'm happy about seeing the number on the scale go up. It does mean that I won't beat myself up about it. I know I can succeed when I want to, and I know that there's no real harm in taking a little break. I was still logging my food even when I just happened to be eating more than enough to maintain my mass. It is a GOOD thing! I often tell people it's OK to do this and to NOT feel bad about it when it comes time to pay the piper. All it means is I get back on track to what I was doing before. I can get back to eating maintenance calories for my goal weight, and I should slowly drift back down to that goal.

It's clear you feel the same way. Your reply is almost exactly what I'd tell someone else who was struggling with a gain from going on a little food bender. Thanks for that! In this particular case, I'm not really struggling, just facing the facts. And you know what else?

I'm happy about it.

This will NOT be the last time I wander off the path. I like to take side hikes from time to time. See the sights. Check out the petroglyphs. See waterfalls. That kind of thing. But then, like you say, get back on the journey. It is a journey. It's not a destination. Enjoy the sights and smells because we only get one spin on the wheel of life. The journey is more enjoyable with a healthy body at a healthy weight.

My wish is that everyone here finds success as they walk their own individual path and they don't beat themselves up for those side hikes. Just get back to it when you're done seeing the side attractions. That's really all there is to it!

• MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping this will be a much more active group than others. Really need some accountability... I'm also hoping that breaking this up into months makes the journey much more doable, as I figure I've got about 2.5 years to go.

5'1"F
    HW: 260.5
    July Start Weight: 260.5
    July Goal Weight: 255.5
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 132.0

July 2: 260.5
    July 9:
    July 16:
    July 23:
    July 30:

....please let's hope it doesn't take 2.5 years for you to reach your goal! I would like to drop 155 lbs. and pray it doesn't take that long...lol I would realistically like to reach my goal around Aug/Sept 2023. So a year would mean dropping about 12 lbs/month or 3/week. I think that in the beginning I could lose that if I stick to my calorie deficit diligently and walking. Once we get closer to our goal then the weight drop will slow down. I have lofty goals I know.... :D Why not reach for the stars right!! Good luck but you don't need it....you've got support and we know you'll do it.

Thanks. I'm personally hoping for more like 1-1.5 years, but am finding it hard to do anything that is particularly aggressive for weight loss, so I figured if I average 1 pound a week (it'll be higher at first, but less later), it'll be 128.5 weeks. Rounded up to 129, that's 2 years, 25 weeks, which is one week shy of 2 1/2 years. I need this to actually happen (get to the finish line) this time instead of doing the yo-yo dance like I've done so many times before, and I think I've got a plan to actually get there, so here's hoping I get there period. If I get there in less time, all the more reason to celebrate!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping this will be a much more active group than others. Really need some accountability... I'm also hoping that breaking this up into months makes the journey much more doable, as I figure I've got about 2.5 years to go.

5'1"F
    HW: 260.5
    July Start Weight: 260.5
    July Goal Weight: 255.5
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 132.0

July 2: 260.5
    July 9:
    July 16:
    July 23:
    July 30:

....please let's hope it doesn't take 2.5 years for you to reach your goal! I would like to drop 155 lbs. and pray it doesn't take that long...lol I would realistically like to reach my goal around Aug/Sept 2023. So a year would mean dropping about 12 lbs/month or 3/week. I think that in the beginning I could lose that if I stick to my calorie deficit diligently and walking. Once we get closer to our goal then the weight drop will slow down. I have lofty goals I know.... :D Why not reach for the stars right!! Good luck but you don't need it....you've got support and we know you'll do it.

Please be careful tackling such an aggressive weight loss goal. Even two pounds a week is pretty aggressive. Pushing too hard can be counter productive on many levels. Aside from potentially leading to bingeing, it can cause your body to cannibalize muscle, including your heart. It can cause your hair to fall out and your nails to get brittle. Slow and steady! That's the way.

This is especially true once you get closer to your goal. When you've got ten to 20 pounds left, a half pound a week is reasonable.

There's no real reason to set a time limit. A good pace is more important than when we get to the "finish line" since there's really no finish line. When you get to goal, you have to keep vigilant or the weight will come back. It's a GREAT idea to begin incorporating ways of eating you can maintain after you get to your goal and for the rest of your life. Losing three pounds a week means a 750 calorie deficit per day. That seems unhealthy and unsustainable at best.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,135 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

Just chiming in to say you can do it!
    I lost 130 pounds and started 1/28/21. Switched to maintenance about a month ago.
    Stay consistent, check in here, don't lose focus.. I never thought in a million years I'd actually lose 100+ pounds and here I am! You too can make this your reality.
  • tammierlewis
    tammierlewis Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Female, 63 years old
    Highest weight: 188

July Start Weight: 141.4
    July Goal Weight: 138
    Ultimate Goal Weight:130

July 2: 141.4
    July 8:
    July 15:
    July 22:
    July 28:
    July 31:

Just returned from a week of beach camping. I know there's a pound or two of water retention due to salty snacks. Next weekend is a reunion weekend. Need to get a couple long runs in before Friday.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,288 Member
    Options
    Female, 72 years old
    Highest weight: 192

July Start Weight: 153.3
    July Goal Weight: 149
    Ultimate Goal Weight:135

July 01 - 153.3
    July 04 -
    July 11 -
    July 18 -
    July 25 -
    July 31 -
    Chris
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi i am Angela , 42 live in England , my weight is going up each week instead of down, so i am on here to try and keep me on track.

July Start Weight: 11 Stone 8.5 pounds
    July Goal Weight: 11 stone 4 pound
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 10 stone 10 pounds

July 1: 11 stone 8.5 pound
    July 8:
    July 15:
    July 22:
    July 28:
    July 31:
  • CatSiena
    CatSiena Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    CatSiena in SC, USA

July Start Weight: 212
    July Goal Weight: 204
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 155ish

July 1: 212
    July 8:
    July 15:
    July 22:
    July 28:
    July 31:
  • Leflettm
    Leflettm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    July Start Weight: 218.3
    July Goal Weight: 210
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 165

July 1: 218.3
    July 8:
    July 15:
    July 22:
    July 28:
    July 31
  • 3rdtimelosesit
    Options
    [quote = Please be careful tackling such an aggressive weight loss goal. Even two pounds a week is pretty aggressive. Pushing too hard can be counter productive on many levels. Aside from potentially leading to bingeing, it can cause your body to cannibalize muscle, including your heart. It can cause your hair to fall out and your nails to get brittle. Slow and steady! That's the way.

This is especially true once you get closer to your goal. When you've got ten to 20 pounds left, a half pound a week is reasonable.

There's no real reason to set a time limit. A good pace is more important than when we get to the "finish line" since there's really no finish line. When you get to goal, you have to keep vigilant or the weight will come back. It's a GREAT idea to begin incorporating ways of eating you can maintain after you get to your goal and for the rest of your life. Losing three pounds a week means a 750 calorie deficit per day. That seems unhealthy and unsustainable at best.[/quote]

Thanks for your concern. I really do hear what you're saying and yes I agree with it all. I realize that what I want and what I will achieve may be 2 different things. I have lost over 100 lbs twice before in one year each time. I lost 2 lbs per week and was happy with that. But I achieved this dieting in ways that I couldn't maintain the weight loss. Once I started adding foods back in that I had cut out it was game over. This time I'm following the calorie counting as set out by MFP when I started. I am finding that because I'm eating good healthy food and foods that I will continue to eat when I start maintaining, I cannot eat enough to get to the calorie count once it's added my exercise calorie allotment in. I've even had wine after dinner because of the deficit...lol For once I'm listening to my body when it's hungry I eat, stop when I feel full. So far it's working extremely well. More so than I thought. And it's way easier as well. I find I'm eating more than I did before but it's the right kind of food. I know that the weight loss will ease up as I go along. I know that realistically won't lose all 155 lbs in the next year.....but a girl can hope. If it takes 2 years so be it. It took 10 years to gain it so won't be easy to lose. My calorie count is 1580 per day, add in for exercise I usually get another 300-500 calories. I'm usually eating the same things for breakfast and lunch. Husband is diabetic so we are careful eaters and not high carb eaters. But we have found things that are enjoyable as replacements that are low carb food....bread & hamburger buns by Carbonaut. This allows me to end up with a higher calorie deficit each day. I enjoy snacks each night as well. But I still cannot eat enough to reach the calorie count. I'm just too full. So therefore I'm in a high calorie deficit. I can't help it. I'm not deliberately doing it. So if the weight drops faster then it is what it is. I'm sure with special events happening such as b'day, Thanksgiving & Christmas, I will not be in a high deficit.

I will be sure to watch out for any of the things you stated. I appreciate your input. Thank you. This is why I joined this group. For support and advice.

• 3rdtimelosesit
    Options
    Just chiming in to say you can do it!
    I lost 130 pounds and started 1/28/21. Switched to maintenance about a month ago.
    Stay consistent, check in here, don't lose focus.. I never thought in a million years I'd actually lose 100+ pounds and here I am! You too can make this your reality.

Congratulations on your success!! I have no doubt I will drop the weight as well. I did it twice before. It's the maintaining I didn't succeed at. But this time I am not doing it the same way. Not cutting any foods out, just cutting back on the quantities. Can't expect to do the same thing as before and get a different result...lol Once I drop the weight I know my calorie count will be different and if I maintain that then I will be able to successfully maintain....even while enjoying all my favourite foods. It will become my new reality.

• bite_by_bite
    bite_by_bite Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Highest Weight (Apr 25th, 2022): 86,6kg (190.1lbs)
    July Start Weight: 79,4kg (175.0lbs)
    July Goal Weight: 76,5 kg (168.7lbs)
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 61kg (134.5lbs)

July 4: 79,4kg (175.0lbs)
    July 11:
    July 18:
    July 31: 76,5 kg (168.7lbs)

Total loss: 0,0kg (0.0lbs)
  • Xiao_Ya_
    Xiao_Ya_ Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    July Start Weight: 103 lbs