Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,678 Member
    Options
    Uu
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Pip - I can see the difference in that rug. Great job!

Kaye - What is YNAB?

Tracey in Edmonton

Tracey, YNAB stands for You Need a Budget. It is budgeting software. When I started using it, it was a one-time fee, but it has now gone to a yearly subscription. You customize the categories and assign your money to the categories as soon as it is available to spend. It comes with lots of online support for learning how to use it. They advocate you eventually getting to where you are a month ahead in your spending. It totally helped us to break the paycheck to paycheck cycle. Just like tracking your food, it brings serious awareness - like having all of my clothing spending in one spot in black and white - YIKES! When my pension comes in on the first of the August, I will take that money plus our social security checks that came in on the 4th Wednesday of July and assign it all for spending in September. YNAB and MFP are very similar in keeping my excesses in line.

Oh, Kelly, what a sad day! Prayers for you and your daycare family.

Barbara, your laundromat seems much more reasonable than mine. I only use it for washing comforters and bedding. The machines that handle those take 17 quarters each, and I usually need a couple. Then $2 or $3 in quarters for each dryer as well. We have a simple Whirlpool washer and dryer. They serve our purposes well.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,409 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    It's Monday!

Carla - Tracey's story reminded me that our A/C conked out several times during hot hot weather. Once, it needed a new switch on the outdoor unit. Several years ago, it just needed a new thermostat. Both repairs cost around $500 with parts and labor. When I replaced the old unit a month ago, it was 15 years old. Probably could have gotten another year or two out of it. Hope the fix for yours is within your budget and you can still get the new deck!

Barbara - I really like our Speed Queen, purchased from a local retail store. Prices were equivalent to H Depot's top brands. Made in the USA, 5 year warranty if I remember right. The first couple months we had it, the dryer was acting funny. So the repairman (salesman from the store!) came by and fiddled with it that afternoon, no charge. Just like service was 40 years ago!

I had a problem with the washer smelling like mildew.
    Seems like its only been within the past several months. I personally think there's a build up of "earth friendly" detergents and/or fabric softeners which I read can coat the inside of the hoses. And our water has a high mineral content which probably interacts with suds. Because we are on septic, I don't like the idea of running a cup of clorox through it once a month, have tried the OK for septic once a month treatment which I wasn't happy with.

So, I hit Google - someone suggested using Listerine mouthwash. :o I experimented and finally have settled with spraying the inside of the tub with it after a load and leaving the lid up. Recipe - 2/3 cheap Walmart Listerine knock off with 1/3 water in a big $1 (used to be!) spray bottle. I spray the whole inside just enough that I can see it start to puddle a little in the bottom. Maybe 8 squirts altogether. Lasts for days and days!

I also quit using fabric softener and have started using Purex laundry detergent with Oxiclean. I'm kind of a "super smeller" and really like this scent, plus the clothes still smell fresh after being put in a drawer or hanging in the closet for a while.

Debbie - gosh that's rough dealing with your DH's depression. (((HUGS)))) So glad you are able to get your long walks in, and that you have us here. I see there's now a national mental health hotline number 988. Might be worth calling if you are extra worried about his behavior, the ads say it connects you with a mental health counselor but it might end up being a referral line to a nearby clinic.

I want to thank you for sharing your great Grocery Outlet finds! I haven't been there in a couple months but will stop the next time I'm in town.

Do any of you like Asian pan fried noodles? My knock-off:
    Walmart has Annie Chun's noodle bowls - Teriyaki, Pad Thai, Spicy Asian. I generally cook up the noodles without the seasoning packet, but it have used it before.

Meanwhile, I chop a quarter head of green cabbage, maybe a couple chunks of carrot, and saute that in a little peanut oil with a couple drops of sesame oil in my big skillet. When it's wilted I toss in the drained noodles, and a cup of chopped cooked chicken. Sometimes left over rotisserie chicken, sometimes cooked chicken tenders. I might add a little more peanut oil. Want to get it thoroughly heated. Then I dump in about half the sauce packet that came with the noodles, keep stirring it all around. If I want it saltier I'll squeeze in more of the sauce.

It's enough for three meals for me. I've been having it with more fried cabbage/green beans/broccoli (fridge cleanout, lol.)

The noodles- not sure if Grocery Outlet has them. I think I paid $2.50 the last time I loaded up at Walmart. https://www.amazon.com/Annie-Chuns-Peanut-Non-GMO-Thai-Style/dp/B000N8N45W/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1L8M9SIYSRFIV&keywords=annie+chun+noodle+bowl&qid=1658754676&sprefix=annie+chu,aps,296&sr=8-4

Kelly - that precious sweet little girl has been released from her earthly body. I'm sure you'll find a way to answer your little's questions to give them comfort.

Ok the sun is coming up, I better get the watering going.

Make it a fabulous day!

Lanette B)B)
    Sunny SW WA State, hitting at least 90 this afternoon.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,507 Member
    Options
    Hello all... hope it is/was a good Monday for everyone.

Annie -
    glad you survived the visit!

KJ - I'm always so impressed with your ability to help get these kids information that will make sense to them. I'm so sorry about the girl's death.

I'm procrastinating as hard as I can to keep from getting outside and getting all the paint together to see what we have and what we need. It's already 83, headed for 100+ again today, so won't stay out too long. The prep work always takes the longest and is the hardest part of painting.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Kelly I will never forget when I was teaching Kindergarten and our principal got on loud speaker and told the students about what just happened at Columbine with five minutes before I had to put them on their buses.

One little girl piped up I am not going to die. Out of the mouth of little ones. I remember telling them to talk to their parents about this.

To say the least I was not very happy with our principal.

I had to do the same thing years later with Sandy Hook. Learned if possible best to let children lead the discussion. Some of your children might be the ones to bring up heaven.

Children look to us and how we handle the tragedies of life.

I still agree with the author of the Safety Trap the more fit we are physcially and emotionally the better we are able to weather the storms.

I also think of the author of Emotional Genius and how she as a girl would help injured animals. Some she was able to help and she noticed those who would recover would shake as they came back to life. She would get sad over those she lost. Her mother reassured her by saying you gave them a safe place to let go.

Movement and reassuring your little ones they are loved and in a safe place is the best you can give them at this time. Letting them expressing themselves through art is also a great stress reliever.

Taking care of you is number one especially after your heart attack. By doing that you are being a great model for your charges.

We are here for you. :heart:
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    B) 👽☀️🌵🏜
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lisa, actually the company replacing our ac is bringing us a temporary room cooler thingy. Sets up in the room and exhausts out the window?!? IDK how it works, but it works. THANK GOD it's been GLORIOUS the last couple days. We didn't even need AC yesterday and this morning it's COOL!

Lanette, I think it might be a "room cooler" that they're letting us use.

OH MAN, Rita! That's just NUTZ! I can only imagine not sleeping well and having an asthma attack!

Tracey! That's exactly where I am! The times I've tried to ask, I'm told I'm prying to to butt-out. Now, several months later, I'm told that I didn't offer enough support. (for something I've never gone through myself and neither has she... so how was I supposed to know if neither of us have done this and I've been shut down in the past?!? Yeah, unfortunately, AC is shot. 10k later, we're getting new both on Thursday.

Fortunately Barbara, the heat has cooled here in MN, God's been on our side in that respect! And the new units are coming on Thursday!

OMG Kelly, I'm so sorry. I remember that when our SIL died. Our grandson's daycare provider was so kind and she created the most beautiful, little lesson on death for her children when Kolten came back. Still makes me cry to think about it. They were all so wonderful and loving.

Kolten's (grandson) team won third place in their baseball tournament last weekend. I was able to go to his game Friday night. Didn't go on Saturday. TOO HOT out in the sun, but they played almost to the end, obiviously and had a great season.

That's all for me. Carla, in MN
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    In the upper 60's today, have most of the windows open. Its cool and quiet, but birds are saying hello. I plan on vacuuming, and tackling some spots (that husband made by where he sits). He has a tray thing he puts out for meals and he is always losing a bite or two!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,014 Member
    Options
    It's Monday!

Debbie - gosh that's rough dealing with your DH's depression. (((HUGS)))) So glad you are able to get your long walks in, and that you have us here. I see there's now a national mental health hotline number 988. Might be worth calling if you are extra worried about his behavior, the ads say it connects you with a mental health counselor but it might end up being a referral line to a nearby clinic.

I want to thank you for sharing your great Grocery Outlet finds! I haven't been there in a couple months but will stop the next time I'm in town.

Do any of you like Asian pan fried noodles? My knock-off:
    Walmart has Annie Chun's noodle bowls - Teriyaki, Pad Thai, Spicy Asian. I generally cook up the noodles without the seasoning packet, but it have used it before.

Meanwhile, I chop a quarter head of green cabbage, maybe a couple chunks of carrot, and saute that in a little peanut oil with a couple drops of sesame oil in my big skillet. When it's wilted I toss in the drained noodles, and a cup of chopped cooked chicken. Sometimes left over rotisserie chicken, sometimes cooked chicken tenders. I might add a little more peanut oil. Want to get it thoroughly heated. Then I dump in about half the sauce packet that came with the noodles, keep stirring it all around. If I want it saltier I'll squeeze in more of the sauce.

It's enough for three meals for me. I've been having it with more fried cabbage/green beans/broccoli (fridge cleanout, lol.)

The noodles- not sure if Grocery Outlet has them. I think I paid $2.50 the last time I loaded up at Walmart. https://www.amazon.com/Annie-Chuns-Peanut-Non-GMO-Thai-Style/dp/B000N8N45W/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1L8M9SIYSRFIV&keywords=annie+chun+noodle+bowl&qid=1658754676&sprefix=annie+chu,aps,296&sr=8-4

Kelly - that precious sweet little girl has been released from her earthly body. I'm sure you'll find a way to answer your little's questions to give them comfort.

Ok the sun is coming up, I better get the watering going.

Make it a fabulous day!

Lanette B)B)
    Sunny SW WA State, hitting at least 90 this afternoon.

We love Grocery Outlet- shop at at least one, two, sometimes four or more different ones in a week.
    If you have more than one near you, be sure to check them out- each are individually owned so things are different and prices are different.
    It is so fun seeing what deals we find. The biggest deal from one this weekend was the chunk of parm for just .99. Bought 6 and will put them in the freezer. Shaved some onto the salad I sent over to MIL. DH said it was really good. Will be great adding it to the Alfredo sauce tonight for ds.

• pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 4min 51sec, 42elev, 2.93ap, 89ahr, 146mhr, 6.08mi= 569c
    Strava app = 694c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 30.32min, 99aw, 11.9amph, 315elev, 132ahr, 153mhr, 6.05mi= 277c
    Strava app = 171c
    Zwift stats - 30.34min, 318elev, 98aw, 56arpm, 11.90amph, 6.06mi= 172c

Total cal 846
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,014 Member
    Options
    Heather- great that it was a very simple fix- that would be very stressful if it had been something worse.
    One alcoholic drink seems in order, for sure
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Vv
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Good evening friends
    Sorry been a busy day.but a good one,stopped and got Homer outside and took Alfie with me even tjough uts still hotter than the devils chili outside.
    And then brought him home and went and picked Doris up and we went to the Chinese buffet down in Willimantic. Its about 19 miles away but a favorite of ours,she took me for my birthday..
    Tomorrow cardiologist appt and hopefully ,evening outdoor concert.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Lanette- I liked the fragility video. Interesting stuff! And thanks for the book suggestion (Tim Spector 30 plants...). I will have to check out the whole book, but in the meantime, I was curious as to whether I was getting 30 plants in this week. So I made a list.
    Cucumber, peppers, onions, brown rice, black beans, garbanzo, kidney beans, corn, tomato, chili pepper, lettuces, carrots, mushroom, zucchini, broccoli, pea pods, garlic, strawberries, blueberries, lemons, lentils, flax meal, chia seeds, spinach, ginger, cilantro, cumin, turmeric, saurkraut, almonds, evoo, yogurt, tofu.
    These are the plants I am eating this week. I have eaten (or am working my way through) all but 13 plants. And those last 13 will be made and eaten beginning Wednesday.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Worked today. Went to pick up Lexi’s ashes then took my sewing machine in to be repaired. Stopped at Michael’s to get needles for the plastic canvas I’m using. Wish they had a better store. Painted some – brought home what I was working on in ceramics since I have the paint but took some of their black.

Tomorrow I’m hoping that after work I can get to the gym. Wish there was at least one day when she didn’t have that lunchtime yoga class. But such is life.

Barbara – speaking of washing machines woes. I usually rinse out by BK shirts (mainly because I can’t stand the smell of BK). The washer was totally unresponsive. We tried shutting off the breaker, but that didn’t fix it. Called an appliance guy and he said to leave it off for 24 hours, maybe it’ll reset itself. So I just took a shirt out of the wash. No one there will care that it smells. The “I Can’t Believe This Has No Sugar” Cookbook is by Deborah E. Buhr, ISBN #0-312-15551-4 (can you tell I have it handy?) Before we leave for the condo, we always go to the bank and get like $20 in quarters. They do have pay machines at the condo, but they aren’t nearly as expensive as going to the laundromat

KJ – how heartbreaking. Am I to assume that she was with a foster family after the birth mother shook her? Didn’t Sesame Street broach the topic of death when Mr. Hooper died? If you can, maybe you can get some hints on how to broach this subject from SS

Don’t ask me to explain it, but Jerry said that it was OK to ask him to put the pickles in the sink for me. Remember how he used to give me a very hard time? Well, even tho one of the managers told me not to ask him, HE said it was OK. So I do. He does it. Yes, there’s grumbling. But I just remind him that “HE” told me it was OK to ask him so that’s why I am. The other day when I had to go to Winston-Salem for the hospital, I told Jerry the day before that we couldn’t make any stops when I took him home so the day before he asked me to stop at the store for him so that he wouldn’t have to ask me the next day since he knew that we couldn’t stop. I’ll have to tell him the same thing tomorrow since I have a dentist appt. Wed. at 11

barbie – to this day, I rinse out jars (like of spaghetti sauce, things like that) and wipe off the wrappers from butter and I can still hear my grandmother saying “we paid for that”. Yes, when the choice was between buying a roll of aluminum foil or a new pair of socks, she reused the aluminum foil. Oh, yes, the odd meals. Sometimes I have weird things for breakfast to use up some item I have so that it doesn’t spoil

KJ – I just remembered that when a girl in Bryan’s class was beaten to death (he was in 3rd grade at the time) what they did was they planted an evergreen tree in her memory, something that would never die. Also, what they did was they took a balloon and everyone wrote her name on a card that they taped to the balloon and then they released the balloons

Started to take a walk around the block. It was spritzing but then it started spritzing harder so I came home and painted the ceramic snail some more.

Michele NC
    who will probably go work on the plastic canvas craft she’s doing while the paint on the snail dries.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Lanette- I liked the fragility video. Interesting stuff! And thanks for the book suggestion (Tim Spector 30 plants...). I will have to check out the whole book, but in the meantime, I was curious as to whether I was getting 30 plants in this week. So I made a list.
    Cucumber, peppers, onions, brown rice, black beans, garbanzo, kidney beans, corn, tomato, chili pepper, lettuces, carrots, mushroom, zucchini, broccoli, pea pods, garlic, strawberries, blueberries, lemons, lentils, flax meal, chia seeds, spinach, ginger, cilantro, cumin, turmeric, saurkraut, almonds, evoo, yogurt, tofu.
    These are the plants I am eating this week. I have eaten (or am working my way through) all but 13 plants. And those last 13 will be made and eaten beginning Wednesday.

Kelly - good job! Your microbiome should be very happy!

Many of those are on my list too. I eat Ezekial bread which has - sesame, wheat, barley, millet, soybeans and spelt - most of them sprouted. Looks like that's 6 plants right there. ;) Gosh it's gotten so expensive it BETTER be good for my guts!

Tim Spector's book is called "The Diet Myth". I loved it, it showed how powerful our gut microbes are.

If you have the time, his Youtube videos are worth checking out and are a quick glimpse of the book. This is one of his shorter ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LUuqxQSaFQ&t=586s

Heather- so glad your husband tapped the fridge/freezer into working. Panic city! Good for you one drink. I would have eaten every frozen treat in the freezer just to keep it from going bad. >:)

Lanette
    SW WA State