WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2022

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Didn't sleep well..Alfie is having tummy troubles and decided to make a mess and poop and scoot all over the living room rug..when i got home last night and in the middle of the night.. so I am just leaving him with dry food for awhile i have been mixing .. plus he needs to go to the groomers tomorrow..
    But ugh.. im hoping ill be able to get my carpet cleaner out..
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ I feel for you about the pooping! When my Pom had a problem, he would go under our large dining room table. I would have to crawl under the table to clean it up. That was a mess! :/

Karen VA ~ How is your transition to new housing going? And, how is your partner doing? As I remember, she was having a lot of problems getting around.

Bought some lottery tickets and I think I won $2! :) Can't see how so many were sold and no big winner and only a few others. :#

Carol in GA

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Carol, <3

We are in process of selling and donating furniture so we will have some room to maneuver/stage our move.

My spouse is about the same. She works with a trainer to maintain her mobility. She is able to sort through drawers and papers, and can load the shredding machine, all of which helps.

Thanks for asking!

Karen in Virginia

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,607 Member
    Options
    Zz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,379 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

Lisa - what happy news for your daughter! Glad to hear you are feeling better. Having abdominal distress at Walmart is not uncommon. :D Loved the photo of Egg. Gray kitties are my favorite.

Barbie - I didn't get in 10,000 steps but got in nearly a mile this morning as the sun was coming up. We replaced all appliances here too, some a couple times (fridge - 3 in 15 years!). I remember during the 60's/70's, refrigerator-freezers were avocado or kind of a bronze (coppertone?) color. The door gaskets wore out long before the motor and innards. I keep looking on the local FB ads to see if someone has one they are getting rid of. Seriously.

Karen - sure hope the trainer is helping your partner, she has had quite the ordeal. Agree with Barbie, MOVE is a four letter word. :) Grateful that you aren't rushed and can take your time. I'm afraid I'd save everything for the last minute anyhow. In the meanwhile, some stuff is just meant for the garbage can and thrift stores. Baby steps add up.

Annie - good luck on your date! Glad your mom's BP is under control, glad her memory loss isn't progressive. I think people can learn to cope very well and there is evidence our brains continue to rewire in our later years. Crossing fingers.

Pip - the PT's will have to run to keep up with you. Sounds like the best solution.

Ginny - hope you enjoy Tim Spector's book. I'll get back into one once I get the kitchen cleaned up this morning. Your PT sounds caring and gave you good advice.

I made Kefir yesterday. Bought starter packets at the health food store, added one to boiled and cooled milk. It set up nicely overnight, now it's in the fridge for 8 hours. Sort of smells like yogurt. I'm hoping I can use a couple tablespoons as starter for the next batch, it will be interesting to see what it looks like after I stir it. Can't wait to taste it.

Missing DH a lot because I've had a heck of a time unscrewing jar lids and twisting off some bottle caps! Finally managed - tapping edge of lid with a knife to get a jar open, used a nutcracker to grasp bottle cap. I might have to break down and get one of those opening gadgets. Have some neat can openers, that's not a problem. DH used to say "who's going to unscrew lids when I'm not here?" I almost tramped across the street to take it to Roger. :p

Have a wonderful day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where it's currently 58 degrees and I have windows open, fans going. Hoping to save the A/C for afternoon.

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,442 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Lanette - I have one of these and it works every time. https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Jar-Opener-Gripper-Pads/dp/B09ZK9C7V6/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B09ZK9C7V6&psc=1. Don't know why you would need a half dozen of them, but it's hard to find just one.

Oh - and I forgot, they often stock the same stuff at any place that sells lots of fabric - they are what you put under rugs or chair pads to keep them from sliding around.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)<3Karen, sending many hugs to you and your spouse. Someone told me years ago that it was no surprise that "move" was a four letter word. There is so much work and so much emotion and so much uncertainty that even the promise of a better tomorrow isn't sufficient to offset it.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Barbie,

You have articulated what I have been unable to!

This is our exact situation.

<3

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    Options
    Lanette,

I have pretty good luck with a JarKey; it breaks the vacuum seal. Works great.

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    Options
    I have a kind of wrench gadget for opening jars. Works pretty well, but if they are super stubborn then stand the jar upside down in v hot water. Expands the metal.

My trip to buy milk turned spendy when I decided to pop into the butcher to buy ground beef for a chilli. My eye was caught by a delicious looking whole fillet of beef just sitting there. Two nice thick steaks later ....... They are in the freezer waiting for a suitable occasion. :o

Lisa - So happy for your daughter. I loved taking back my maiden name and did not change it when I married DH. It's mine and I'm keeping it. I go by Ms and I get annoyed by people calling me Mrs. That is my mum!
    Of course, it would be loads better if she wasn't hitched up with a new guy. But I can’t talk. It took me until around 53 to realise I didn't need a man in my life. Then I met DH. :o>:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,379 Member
    Options
    Kefir is ready. I love buttermilk, and this tastes just like it to me, only it's rich and thick - the consistency of cream. I'm reading in the comments that some folks are having luck stirring 1/4 cup into the next batch of prepared milk. There were 6 packets in the carton (freeze dried so doesn't really need refrigeration) so I should have enough to last for a long time. I imagine when the weather is cooler, it will take longer to ferment to the right consistency. My 75 degree kitchen was just right yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/Yogourmet-Freeze-Dried-Kefir-Starter/dp/B006IB8VPG/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3DOJCIYA2EUOA&amp;keywords=yogogourmet+kefir&amp;qid=1658948555&amp;sprefix=yogogourmet+kefir,aps,155&amp;sr=8-11&amp;th=1

Ladies who are trying to up their plant intake - don't forget about edible flowers! Violets are blooming in my yard right now. Yummy.

Got the mowing done this morning! It was overcast and cool - 62- at 8:30 so climbed on Nellybelle and got most of it done. Whew!! Supposed to hit in the low 90's today.

Can openers - thank you ladies for your suggestions! You gave me good ideas and got me thinking. I too have used hot water. The problem bottle I was dealing with was a screw-top Kombucha (contents under pressure) and the other jar was sauerkraut, also under pressure.

I dug around in the kitchen stuff "box for the thrift store" I keep adding to in the garage, and darned if I didn't find an old Kuhn Rikon can opener with the perfect bottle opener attachment, plus it has a "lip" to lift lids. Thanks for jogging my memory!

To be safe though I'm going to open these pressurized things outside or over the laundry sink. :D

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/ family- 2hrs 1min 24sec, 58elev, 3.05ap, 101ahr, 155mhr, 6.21mi= 554c
    Strava app = 708c
    Walk home to gym- 11.31min, .53mi= 56c
    Strava app = 61c
    Treadmill jog- 32.31min, 5.6sp for 1st mi, 5.7sp for 2nd mi, 5.8sp for 3rd mi, 7.5 for last .10mi, 10.29 min mi, 139ahr, 167mhr, 5k= 334c
    Walk gym to pt place to home- 17.05min, .77mi= 80c
    Strava app = 89c

Total cal 1024