Why do people, especially women, enjoy lifting so much?

Options
I've never lifted and probably never will, since I'm old and have heart disease and back problems. But I get curious when I see how much people get into lifting. Is it like a runner's high? Can you describe the feelings?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Cause it's awesome and makes me feel awesome and makes me look fairly decent.

I don't know what a runners high is like (I don't/can't/won't run) but I know when I'm done I feel like I'm a badass: 12 feet tall and made of steel (and usually hungry.)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    What's not to like about being strong?

When bingo wings can make me fly, I'll reconsider. Until then I will work on perfecting my pretty snatch. Right now she's cute, but I'm aiming for a perfect snatch.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    STRONG!! Makes you feel so awesomely strong!
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Cause it's awesome and makes me feel awesome and makes me look fairly decent.

I don't know what a runners high is like (I don't/can't/won't run) but I know when I'm done I feel like I'm a badass: 12 feet tall and made of steel (and usually hungry.)

Great clear and clever answer. Thanks!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I was going to post something serious but the last comment made me lol
  • Ddmck1
    Ddmck1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    nice
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the especially women part as most of the women I see at my gym stick to the elliptical or treadmill. But for me it's an amazing feeling knowing that what seemed impossible to lift 6 months ago now feels light, and the confidence you get knowing that something that was once physically impossible for you is now not only possible but easy and believe me this confidence is transferred into your everyday life.

The feeling of setting your goal and hitting it, the new muscles and definition popping up where there was none before, the magical disappearance of pain and fatigue due to your increased strength, the stupidly tired feeling where your muscles feel like jelly and the knowledge that because you gave it everything you had this time the next time you'll be able to do a little more.

And yeah the general badass feeling.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I've never lifted and probably never will, since I'm old and have heart disease and back problems. But I get curious when I see how much people get into lifting. Is it like a runner's high? Can you describe the feelings?
    Working in a Wellness Center with lots of our clientele in their 80's, don't use age as an excuse. Both your ailments improve with exercise and fitness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    it's therapeutic. it makes me relax. my frustrations melt away.

it improves my bone density. it makes me less susceptible to injury at work.

I like how my muscles look. i burn more even doing nothing.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

So... You don't lift weights because you have three good reasons to lift weights? Too many reasons? Or are you looking for a fourth?

I took ten years off myself lifting weights. You can too.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Because I love getting stronger!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It changes your body like nothing else can! And quickly.
    I LOVE the functional fitness....just being stronger doing daily things.
    Shapes your body.
    Makes you feel.....healthy.
    The feeling you get when you look at your reflection and see a stronger, more beautiful you looking back!
  • TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Cause it works!

E.T.A:
    I've also had medical problems... Most of my actual injuries are from horses, but I've had some weird stuff go on with my heart, I already have horrible arthritis in every joint possible it seems (my fingers are even getting disfigured now). I have knee problems, a broken (crushed by a horse) foot, I've suffered from back problems since I was 11 (horse accident)..

I am only 20, but to have my body start failing me at such a young age drove me to seek fitness. Especially after my son was born.
    I have only been lifting for a few months, but I already feel better. EVERYTHING feels better. Your muscles hold everything together and (for me) strengthening them has made it possible to not be on ibuprofen everyday of my life.

I started out light and the important part is to lift correctly! It does WONDERS for a weak body.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Because I love picking up 90lb dumbbells. And I have back problems too, it can be done! No excuses.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,011 Member
    Options
    Just curious
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There are so many reasons why I like lifting, but the main ones are:

I actually enjoy it.
    Vanity - I like the shape my body is starting to take.

But the biggest reason why I lift is because of the improvements I have noticed when I ride my horses. I am a much more effective rider, and have had huge improvements in both how well I ride plus how well my horses are going, and the only thing I have changed in the last 12 months is the lifting of heavy things.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you can definitely find a safe, effective lifting program for you - doesn't have to be barbells. Lots of options out there, they make one-pound weights and moves can be modified to be safe for all body types.

I like it because, yeah, it just feels great - you can feel your body getting stronger, you can hit goals fairly quickly, and it makes EVERYTHING in your life easier - you sleep better, pick up kids and moving boxes easier, clothes fit better, that really nice muscle burn the next day that says you killed it - it's nothing but good stuff. You wouldn't have posted this if you weren't interested, so I encourage you to find a way to do it!
  • LaurenLPitt
    LaurenLPitt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As a woman It's super empowering, knowing that you are getting stronger and yep there is definitely a high, the endorphins buzzing, a euphoric feeling afterwards, it truly feels amazing.

Plus you get a lovely shapely firm muscular athletic body rather than a smaller but still wobbly one. I don't wanna be "skinny fat"

Everything in life that felt hard becomes easier, chores, carrying groceries, sports, physical hobbies like yoga etc

It also makes it possible to take up new physical activities you may have felt not strong enough for.

It strengthens your back so that you won't have back problems anymore. It would help your overall health.. Lifting is for people of all ages! I regularly see people in their 50's-80's in the weights room. I personally plan to be one of those people :)

And I also find it more fun than cardio, it just seems to occupy my mind more, as you have to think about form, keep count of your sets and reps. Time flys by when I lift but seems to crawl when I'm on a treadmill.

I think you should definitely keep your mind open to it. <3
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was told I will be skinny fat even when I get to my ideal weight and I later realise it's not my weight that's bothering me. It's how I look in front of the mirror. I'm 4 weeks into strength training (will move to lifting when I feel stronger).