Why do people, especially women, enjoy lifting so much?

Options

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting since a couple of months into my weight loss journey, but I also speed walk and do Pilates.

I love lifting because:

- it makes me feel so bada$$! I remember going into a garden center to look at 25 lb bags of dirt. When I went to put it in my basket I remember trying not to break my long natural nails then worrying about not being able to move it. A salesperson rushed over to help, but by that time it was in my cart. He was like. :noway: . I love it!

- of the way it has totally reshaped and defined my curves. For example I've always had a big butt, but once the excess fat left it did not get deflated and saggy. Instead it got lifted and more shapely. Combined with a tighter core and a slight "V" in the back, it helped me get a dream body in my 30's and helped me to look better then I did in high school and my early 20's.

- it takes my mind off things. When exercising I always try to put my mind into the muscle, but when lifting heavy I'm focused on my form and squeezing my muscle. Plus when I'm done I feel so awesome.

Many of my other reasons are already listed in this thread, but I'm so thankful I gave lifting a try.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting was invented by the Spanish Inquisition! I prefer to do anything else in the gym (I keep away from gyms until the winter, when its too cold and wet to enjoy exercise out of doors)... Its boring and the pain it can induce is horibble...

Then you must be doing it wrong.

ETA: sqwated 7,000lbs worth yesterday with a torn miniscuis and ACL, (running). It did not give me pain.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    OP I haven't read the whole thread.

But 1, don't use age as an excuse. I believe a study was done on like really old people and they all gained muscle and experienced tons of improvements.

2. I started having a whole bunch of pain (wrist pain, back pain, hip pain). Since starting to lift again all of that pain is gone. Anecdotal, but weight training done in a an intelligent manner will only benefit you.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    it makes me feel empowered and the results make me hot.
  • Mawra
    Mawra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Going by how many women are getting gangraped in India, I really feel safer when I lift/strength train. Personally, I do not like cuts so much but I really really reallllyyy want to become strong enough to take down a guy someday :D

Also yes, i'm so glad i actually enjoy lifting as much as I enjoy power walking- I hate the elliptical though, sucks the life out of me.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting was invented by the Spanish Inquisition! I prefer to do anything else in the gym (I keep away from gyms until the winter, when its too cold and wet to enjoy exercise out of doors)... Its boring and the pain it can induce is horibble...

Then you must be doing it wrong.

^^ exactly what I was thinking!

I love lifting! I've been doing it for 2 and a half months, so not terribly long, but I love it! There's nothing like feeling strong and challenging yourself. Plus, the health benefits <3
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Because there are only benefits. Period. Stronger = better. It took me many years to come to this conclusion but i really now believe the key to being fit is strength training. You can do all the cardio you want but nothing is as good for your fitness as getting stronger is.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total *kitten*. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. "

- Henry Rollins
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Being strong is awesome...you feel like you could move a mountain if it got in your way...it's an awesome feeling.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I actually ENJOY it...(and I don't like a lot of types of exercise.)

I am physically stronger for doing it.

I am looking better and smaller, in spite of what the scale says.

Endorphins - I loves them!

It's me versus me, and every PR I get makes me so proud!

It has strengthened my wonky knees and made them less wonky, which enables me to do other things.

License to eat! (Ok, I am kidding about that, but it has bumped my TDEE up considerably.)

I could go on and on!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I've never lifted and probably never will, since I'm old and have heart disease and back problems. But I get curious when I see how much people get into lifting. Is it like a runner's high? Can you describe the feelings?

These are all the reasons you SHOULD lift weights. When you age you lose muscle and muscle helps prevent osteoporosis. I've been trying to tell my 59 year old mother that for years but she choses to not listen as well. She doesn't feel she SHOULD lift much more than 5 pound weights because she'll risk injury. I keep telling her that's why she need to get stronger - to resist injury!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I loathe lifting weights. I hate every boring, dreadful second of it.

I was morbidly obese when I started. I looked like a snowman crossed with the Michelin man.

But I love that now my lumpy parts are muscles not fat. And someone said I looked "ripped". I don't care that they were lying-that's enough for me to keep lifting weights. Maybe it will be true some day.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, along with kickboxing, gives me confidence....have a shot at defending myself! :glasses:
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Because I love feeling strong, I love getting stronger, I love being the only chick in the squat rack, I love the shape of my arms, I love eating more food and I love the looks I get at the gym when I bust out some chin ups.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I am 44, have back issues along with an array of joint issues, but I lift because I had to cut back on my cardio. Do I like it? NO!
    Do I like the results? Absolutely.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Seeing how stong I've gotten is awesome. It makes me feel badass. :happy:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Well the super fast and consistent results are pretty rewarding after years/miles of ellipticals with no visible impact.

But I think I'm actually one of the rare female lifters that hates every second that she's lifting. I'm sweaty, tired, and strained. I look and sound like a crazy person. But I keep going back, because, well, my stomach didn't look like this when I weighed 10 pounds less.
  • EyeBite
    EyeBite Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a strong like for lifting weights. STRONG. We are stronger than we think and when I lift heavy like that opposed of doing 100 reps of 10 lbs pushes me harder to just try and lift heavier and to learn all I can as a beginner. It's a feeling of accomplishment. It's a different type of exhaustion. I've noticed the biochemical changes mentally too, as a person who did nothing but a ton of cardio to a person who now does cardio with larger emphases on lifting. It's a much more calming effect and I'm not as nervous or hesitant. As a person who ignorantly thought lifting was unlady like and for lesbians, feminist and manly men, and the weight floor was more of a "man's world" my confidence is boosted because it's just one more taboo I have overcome that has held me back from getting what I want with my body. Lifting heavy is a feeling like no other.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I feel totally in control when I'm lifting. I run and do (mostly HIIT) boot camp, and I enjoy them both - but for different reasons than I enjoy lifting. When I am in the weight room, there is no "can't" or failure, really - I follow my program of progressive lifts, and if I can't do all the sets/reps at my working weight, I take a few pounds off, and know I'll be there next workout. If I push to muscle failure, that's a win. Not sure if that makes sense outside of my head, but basically it's all winning, all the time. The progress is measurable and very rewarding.

Don't talk yourself put of trying anything that can move you toward your goals - EVERY workout is scalable to your ability, including and especially lifting.