Why do people, especially women, enjoy lifting so much?

Options

Replies

• bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Are you a lace knitter? For me, putting up progressively heavier weights is like completing increasingly complex lace work. Have you ever come across a pattern at some point you just couldn't follow but months (or even years later) after knitting away at easier things you could finally execute that difficult pattern and got a really stunning piece at the end? That's what lifting is to me. It doesn't give me a high. At times it's almost meditative. It centers and grounds me. It also affords me another place for personal growth while conveniently making me stronger.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    As a person who ignorantly thought lifting was unlady like and for lesbians, feminist and manly men.

My people! I can get behind that. ;)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I like lifting cause it makes my butt looks awesome? :tongue:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I feel totally in control when I'm lifting. I run and do (mostly HIIT) boot camp, and I enjoy them both - but for different reasons than I enjoy lifting. When I am in the weight room, there is no "can't" or failure, really - I follow my program of progressive lifts, and if I can't do all the sets/reps at my working weight, I take a few pounds off, and know I'll be there next workout. If I push to muscle failure, that's a win. Not sure if that makes sense outside of my head, but basically it's all winning, all the time. The progress is measurable and very rewarding.

Don't talk yourself put of trying anything that can move you toward your goals - EVERY workout is scalable to your ability, including and especially lifting.

OMG, this is so full of WIN! :heart:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've never lifted and probably never will, since I'm old and have heart disease and back problems. But I get curious when I see how much people get into lifting. Is it like a runner's high? Can you describe the feelings?

To me, it's a sense of power when I am able to lift or move something big/heavy. I hate feeling weak. Secondly, it improves the way I look, which is a nice bonus.
  • Kimmykakers
    Kimmykakers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the especially women part as most of the women I see at my gym stick to the elliptical or treadmill. But for me it's an amazing feeling knowing that what seemed impossible to lift 6 months ago now feels light, and the confidence you get knowing that something that was once physically impossible for you is now not only possible but easy and believe me this confidence is transferred into your everyday life.

The feeling of setting your goal and hitting it, the new muscles and definition popping up where there was none before, the magical disappearance of pain and fatigue due to your increased strength, the stupidly tired feeling where your muscles feel like jelly and the knowledge that because you gave it everything you had this time the next time you'll be able to do a little more.

And yeah the general badass feeling.

loving this response.. i always felt that it would make me bulky and "manly" but researching and understanding what it takes to become bigger or lean made me realize that my chronic cardio only wasn't doing the trick!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you know what's amazing too..

being able to do something today- or tomorrow that 5 weeks ago you thought was impossible.

As pointed out lifting is very empowering- I seriously have no idea how people hate it- you must be doing it wrong.

I definitely do NOT get a high- it's different- it stays with me- it doesn't go away- it's part of that lift in my chest and the rake of my shoulders, the tilt of my chin when I walk into a room and shake everyone's hand firmly... when I look them all in the eye.

It's not a high. It's the weight that I left that makes me stand tall and proud to be fricking fabulous. :D

Lifting- you're doing it wrong if it hurts or you hate it. LOL
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    you know what's amazing too..

being able to do something today- or tomorrow that 5 weeks ago you thought was impossible.

As pointed out lifting is very empowering- I seriously have no idea how people hate it- you must be doing it wrong.

I definitely do NOT get a high- it's different- it stays with me- it doesn't go away- it's part of that lift in my chest and the rake of my shoulders, the tilt of my chin when I walk into a room and shake everyone's hand firmly... when I look them all in the eye.

It's not a high. It's the weight that I left that makes me stand tall and proud to be fricking fabulous. :D

Lifting- you're doing it wrong if it hurts or you hate it. LOL

Amazingly written! So much this!!
  • KatieLou1022
    KatieLou1022 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    A guy had been watching this for about 5 trugs worth and asked my husband, "where can I get a wife like that?". My husband said, "at the gym".

I loved reading this NSV! As you have read, the majority of the responses to your question have been extremely positive. That many people can not be wrong about what lifting and lifting heavy does for them. I began lifting heavy a couple of months ago. I love it! It makes me feel young. It makes me feel strong. It builds my self confidence and enforces a positive attitude. I could put together a list full of "why I can't lift" ... but those are just excuses. Excuses hold one back from making the best of what they are dealing with. Your first task is to overcome all of the excuses and begin lifting. Your second task is not to give up. There are almost no valid excuses ... especially age ... I'm 67.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    1) I told my daughter I would live to be 100 yrs old. Being fit and strong will help me to achieve that
    2) The last 9 months of lifting has done more for my body shape than dieting/cardio has done in years.
    3) I'm short, so I already have to get assistance with reaching things, I'll be damned if I'm going to need assistance with carrying them too.
    4) Sweeping/mopping the floor or raking the yard/gardening used to leave me aching on the couch, swallowing advil because of lower back weakness. NOT A PROBLEM ANYMORE.
    5) It just makes me feel good knowing I can

PS, Your reasons for not lifting are the exact reasons you should.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My question is, "why do women tolerate being weak and reliant for the most basic things on others?"

Amen sister.

And I'm not afraid to admit that I sometimes flex my muscles in front of the mirror and watch in admiration (and so does my husband). I used to admire waif like women, now give me a solid strong woman any day of the week. So hot.

OMG, I'm always checking out my muscles, especially now that I can start seeing them again as the jelly disappears lol
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I like walking in front of the guys at the gym over to a squat rack and showing them how its done :laugh: Maybe I'm not perfect, but I've seen some guys in the gym that have the absolute worst form and will hurt themselves one day and I'll be there to witness it...

I'm tempted to go to the gym one day with my mom and show her some weights. She has arthritis in her hands and knees and has bad feet. I know it would make her feel better if she did some modified routines. Just like therapy helps people with injuries get back on their feet lifting weights with proper form can improve your health issues too.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've never lifted and probably never will, since I'm old and have heart disease and back problems. But I get curious when I see how much people get into lifting. Is it like a runner's high? Can you describe the feelings?
    Working in a Wellness Center with lots of our clientele in their 80's, don't use age as an excuse. Both your ailments improve with exercise and fitness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree with him on personal experience. I had really bad lower back pain for at least 6 years with a pinched sciatica. A lot of it was relieved and I avoided surgery upon losing weight...but the pain was still there. I ran....had the runners'
    high which is awesome but you have to run great distances to achieve this...talking 7+ miles! back hurt less but I would agitate it when I was fatigues. Yoga helped...but then it would come back.

2 months ago I started lifting. I was scared because I thought this would harm my back. Nope!!! I was WRONG!! Two months in and I no longer feel any back pain. I wake up from bed without any soreness. It's such an amazing feeling and I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

People lift and people run because it makes you feel amazing...it makes you feel damn proud of yourself. I used to be a long distance runner because I loved it....I loved the high....until I realized I was getting flabby and not losing body size. So I decided to delve into lifting and boy! I feel so strong...my core is tighter and I feel badass!!! Oh and did I mention I cut back on how much I train?!?!? I went from exercising for 2 hours a day...6 days a week down to 3 days a week and two days of 20 minute HIIT sessions.

I really recommend hitting those weights!!!
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have a strong like for lifting weights. STRONG. We are stronger than we think and when I lift heavy like that opposed of doing 100 reps of 10 lbs pushes me harder to just try and lift heavier and to learn all I can as a beginner. It's a feeling of accomplishment. It's a different type of exhaustion. I've noticed the biochemical changes mentally too, as a person who did nothing but a ton of cardio to a person who now does cardio with larger emphases on lifting. It's a much more calming effect and I'm not as nervous or hesitant. As a person who ignorantly thought lifting was unlady like and for lesbians, feminist and manly men, and the weight floor was more of a "man's world" my confidence is boosted because it's just one more taboo I have overcome that has held me back from getting what I want with my body. Lifting heavy is a feeling like no other.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!! <3 this!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My question is, "why do women tolerate being weak and reliant for the most basic things on others?"

Amen sister.

And I'm not afraid to admit that I sometimes flex my muscles in front of the mirror and watch in admiration (and so does my husband). I used to admire waif like women, now give me a solid strong woman any day of the week. So hot.

OMG, I'm always checking out my muscles, especially now that I can start seeing them again as the jelly disappears lol

aint no shame.

I have no idea why people spend so much time saying- "I hate to admit" or "I'm embarassed that i sometimes"

FRACK THAT.

I work hard for this stuff- I'm totally checking it out!!!! It doesn't consume my day- but you're damn right I admire my work- stand back- realize all that you have achomplished.

There is a tremendous difference in bragging about it constantly and ALWAYS standing in front of a mirror- vs saying HELL YEAH- I did that. Check this **** out- then go on about your day.

ham it up- you earned that.

then go back and hammer harder to make it better!
  • chrish228
    chrish228 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had to chime in on this thread. I've only been lifting heavy for about 4 weeks. I started 'lifting" when I hurt my back in March. My doctor told me that unless I strengthened my back, I would deal with slipped and herniated disks for the rest of my life. No thanks! At that point, I couldn't even do a full range of motion squat without any weight. I worked with what I could, and today I'm about to hit the gym and do my 5 x 5 squats with 95 pounds. In March, there is no way I could have imagined doing something like that!

Aside from lifting to prevent injuries, my husband showed me a picture of me a year and a half ago. I had noticeably rounded shoulders and a slouched posture. In a candid shot a few days ago, I had a straight back without that rounded look. I love that my new confidence is showing through!

Like others before me, I encourage you to talk to your doctor or a good PT about finding a strength program to fit your needs. You will only read good things from doing so!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I love it because it has given me the best overall results for my health. I have less joint problems, stronger bones, more stamina for other exercises and activities. I also love knowing that I'm improving my health for the long run fighting things like osteoporosis and that I can do it any time (which is great with my schedule) without messing up my sleep schedule because it doesn't give me the "high" that cardio does if I do it at night.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I started to lift seriously, I don't mean 5lb dumb bells but actual LIFTING that i noticed a huge change in my body. As someone who has always been thin/petite I did a lot of light weight/high reps because that is what media tells women to do. It wasn't until Dec of this year I cut the crap and got a book that changed my life "The new Rules of lifting for women" and ever since then I have never looked back

lifting for me is a challenge. Unlike before when the challenge was "how long can i do this stupid cardio machine for" now it's "can I put up an extra 5-10lbs this week. The feeling you get when you finish a set and can literally FEEL your muscle being work its amazing. The change in your clothes, in your muscle definition, everything. I actually look forward to my next work out bc it's more of a challenge than it ever was, and knowing that it's only been 9 months and this is how i've changed I am so excited to see what another 9 months brings.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    Health Reasons: makes muscle and joints strong,counteracts the natural progression of muscle loss that comes w/ age, increased caloric burn

Vanity Reason: muscles look better, GUNS!!!!, the looks you get from people when I take off my jacket, I look like i'm in my 20's when I'm in my 40's,

Mental issues: I feel bad *kitten*/ stronger; Great for my ego when I can do unassisted pull ups and men cant. The feeling I get knowing I'm fitter than people 1/2 my age.

*I endurance and strength train. I also work on flexibility.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Amen sister.

aint no shame.

I have no idea why people spend so much time saying- "I hate to admit" or "I'm embarassed that i sometimes"

FRACK THAT.

I work hard for this stuff- I'm totally checking it out!!!! It doesn't consume my day- but you're damn right I admire my work- stand back- realize all that you have achomplished.

There is a tremendous difference in bragging about it constantly and ALWAYS standing in front of a mirror- vs saying HELL YEAH- I did that. Check this **** out- then go on about your day.

ham it up- you earned that.

then go back and hammer harder to make it better!

One must 'check themselves out' if they are to determine whether they are making progress.