Why do people, especially women, enjoy lifting so much?

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've been amazed at some of the side effects from lifting weights. I've always been fairly strong - hell, I'm real Maine woman who's been haulting/stacking wood and shoveling heavy snow and things like that for most of her life. However, I have always been a huge clutz. A couple years ago we were out on the rails riding around (see picture of rail speeder in my profile pics) and clearing brush and came upon a whole tree across the tracks. Well we sawed at it for a while until we finally could start moving the pieces out of the way. I muckled on to a branch and put all my weight behind that pull and of course the branch broke off. If it was a year earlier, I would've gone *kitten* over teakettle and probably broken my ankle or something... But I stayed on my feet and didn't even sprain anything! Definitely one of my proudest moments!!

Not only will your balance improve but your bones will be stronger and it also has cardio and mental health benefits.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/franco7.htm

Do it, you may be surprised to see just how strong you are and how much getting stronger will help you feel better!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I run & lift.

To me runner's high is very different, I totally love it!!! I feel amazing, happy, stress free, bliss.
    Weight lifting... strong, powerful, and walking pretty tall when I'm done.
    Plus gotta love the changes it makes to your body!

I try to encourage my Mom and Aunts to start a strength program. Especially since they have joint & back pain. It's amazing what exercise can do for us at any age.

:smile:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I don't really like lifting...I do like what it does for my body...lifting and strength training in general (Pilates, HIIT, etc)...I'm seeing more tone, less flab, and I'm looking better in my clothes.

What's not to like about that? My body is ten times stronger and leaner now than it was when I was just doing cardio.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It's addicting to see those lifts go up.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this thread. I agree with what everybody here has said in favor of weight lifting.

Not to sound dramatic or anything, but lifting really has changed my life. How I feel, how I function, and how I look and carry myself is all different. From a more positive outlook on life, to heightened self-esteem, to just being able to function better in day to day living. Even though I am still overweight, I LIKE what I see in the mirror. After years of hating my body, I am learning to love it not just for how it looks but what it can do.

My only regret is I should have started lifting years ago! I used to have chronic back problems and my back would go out like every 2 months at least. I would be left in excruciating, debilitating pain for at least 2 weeks at a time. Not anymore!!! My chiropractor hasn't seen me in almost 2 years :laugh:

Oh and I also like to see the looks on the cashiers faces at the store when I'm easily lifting huge bags of catfood/cat litter/ bottled water/whatever else that comes in bulk. I had one lady ask me "What are you, a weight lifter??" LOL makes me smile.
    I used to get small bags and boxes of everything simply because I couldn't lift that much. Not anymore!! I buy everything in the biggest package they have because I like to save money, dammit!! Oh and like I said I find the looks and comments amusing :laugh: No thanks, I do not need help out to my car with this! :drinker:
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    this thread needs photos....
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I like lifting stuff because it's easier than dragging. Hay bales, feed sacks, whatever. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My question is, "why do women tolerate being weak and reliant for the most basic things on others?"

Amen sister.

And I'm not afraid to admit that I sometimes flex my muscles in front of the mirror and watch in admiration (and so does my husband). I used to admire waif like women, now give me a solid strong woman any day of the week. So hot.

OMG, I'm always checking out my muscles, especially now that I can start seeing them again as the jelly disappears lol

aint no shame.

I have no idea why people spend so much time saying- "I hate to admit" or "I'm embarassed that i sometimes"

FRACK THAT.

I work hard for this stuff- I'm totally checking it out!!!! It doesn't consume my day- but you're damn right I admire my work- stand back- realize all that you have achomplished.

There is a tremendous difference in bragging about it constantly and ALWAYS standing in front of a mirror- vs saying HELL YEAH- I did that. Check this **** out- then go on about your day.

ham it up- you earned that.

then go back and hammer harder to make it better!

One must 'check themselves out' if they are to determine whether they are making progress.

you... you there.

get out of here with that logical nonsense- we can't have that whatsoever here.
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What a brilliant thread. I've been dabbling in a little lifting and I'm inspired to take it more seriously now!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Wagner understood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU (ride of the Valkyries)

Because it feels so much better to be strong and independent than to be weak and dependent

Because being able to deadlift and squat more than your bodyweight is an amazing feeling, and being able to deadlift and squat your husband's body weight is also great.... and to know that you can, if necessary, fireman carry him long distances

Because focusing on how much weight I can lift is so much better for my mental health than fretting over not looking like an airbrushed magazine model

Because in the past I had to ask my husband to change the 19 litre canisters on the water cooler, but now I can not only do that myself, it doesn't even feel that heavy any more. And I can move furniture around and push cars or do other things that require physical strength

Because being strong has greatly improved my confidence

Because I can overhead press both my daughters (age 3 and 7) and they want to grow up to be strong like their mummy and lift heavy barbells, and they both tell me how strong they are and aspire to be strong

Because yes there is such a thing as "lifter's high" and it's 100% healthy

Because I can eat a lot more food and know that I'm feeding and strengthening my body, rather than piling on flab

Because women are supposed to be strong... strength is NOT a male thing, it's a human thing, i.e. for both men and women.

Because Viking women and Spartan women were trained to be strong and fight so they could defend themselves and their families if necessary... our modern culture is weird in that it idealises weakness and dependency in women rather than strength and independence

Because neanderthal women had to endure and survive ice age winters with only the bare minimum of technology, and had to be able to defend themselves and their kids, and lift and carry heavy things long distances including up hill

Because lifting weights strengthens the bones as well as the muscles, which protects you against osteoporosis and other musculo-skeletal problems associated with old age, and also slows down the rate at which you lose muscle mass as you age

Because humans evolved to do physical work, it's only modern people who don't do this, because we invented machines to do that for us.... but we didn't evolve to be sedentary. We evolved to walk (or run) long distances and lift and carry heavy things.

Because it improves health generally

Because a muscular, lean physique looks good

Because being strong is a great thing to aspire to
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My question is, "why do women tolerate being weak and reliant for the most basic things on others?"

Amen sister.

And I'm not afraid to admit that I sometimes flex my muscles in front of the mirror and watch in admiration (and so does my husband). I used to admire waif like women, now give me a solid strong woman any day of the week. So hot.

OMG, I'm always checking out my muscles, especially now that I can start seeing them again as the jelly disappears lol

aint no shame.

I have no idea why people spend so much time saying- "I hate to admit" or "I'm embarassed that i sometimes"

FRACK THAT.

I work hard for this stuff- I'm totally checking it out!!!! It doesn't consume my day- but you're damn right I admire my work- stand back- realize all that you have achomplished.

There is a tremendous difference in bragging about it constantly and ALWAYS standing in front of a mirror- vs saying HELL YEAH- I did that. Check this **** out- then go on about your day.

ham it up- you earned that.

then go back and hammer harder to make it better!

One must 'check themselves out' if they are to determine whether they are making progress.

Oh. I just do it for vanity.

/flex "Ahhh, look at those shoulders"
    /flex "Honey, do my traps look bigger?"
    /flex "Honey, can you kinda see moosles in the spot under my boobs?"
    /flex "These calves, I love my calves!"
  • rpharess
    Options
    Runner's high, to me, is a lot different. It feels like the absence of being tired and like I can suddenly keep running forever. Maybe it feels "free" or something like that.

Weight lifting makes me feel accomplished during and after the workout. I wasn't too interested in seeing myself get "cut" or having defined muscles, but now, I can't be more proud of them. Guys look at my quads and sometimes my biceps and say they're jealous/they are intimidated. Those are the best compliments. I originally started lifting just to feel stronger.

I also work at a retail job where there is a lot of lifting going on, and I enjoy being able to lift things easier than some of the men around me. Also, I really resent when women customers tell me not to lift something because I'll injure myself and to "let a man do it." When something is to heavy or unwieldy for me (I am 5' 1"...) I get a bigger guy to help me, but otherwise, I can do it myself. Lifting has only increased what I can do at work, and I have a reputation of being really strong. It does offend me that people are so shocked when I can lift something over 20lbs (yes, that happens a lot), but whatever!

The only thing I don't like is that I get hungry a lot more, so I end up overeating, which I have to work on. I've gained muscle weight and fat since I got serious about lifting. I went from about 100 to 113-115, and now my thighs touch and stuff. But now I also have a nice butt, so that's nice.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm using weight lifting to get myself in the best shape ever for my birthday in October when I turn 60. I intensified my exercise last birthday. It is working really well.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I do it for because muscles give me greater self esteem.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I've never lifted and probably never will, since I'm old and have heart disease and back problems. But I get curious when I see how much people get into lifting. Is it like a runner's high? Can you describe the feelings?

I am your age and I lift Not as heavy as when I was younger, but I still do it. I have knees and shoulders limitations so I modify, but I still do it. I can't describe the feeling (only the soreness), but I love it and I enjoy it a lot and I know that is keeping my bones strong.

My only regret is that I can't do more.:sad: :brokenheart:
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Meet Ernestine Sheppard.

tumblr_mhxuecqpzE1s0scrbo1_400.jpg

Older than you, back problems, lifts.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ernestine Sheppard is my idol. She didn't start lifting until she was older...and she looks amazing! I'm 55, and I've got multiple serious health problems. I lift because it has made me so much stronger. My muscles were atrophying due to an autoimmune disease, and serious back problems. I could have just sat and deteriorated further....last year at this time I was in a wheelchair because I could barely walk from room to room in my house! But I decided to do something, and refused to succumb to my ailments. Please seriously consider adding a weight training program to what you're doing. You would be amazed at the results, and how much better you could feel. Only then would you understand why people enjoy lifting so much! Experience it for yourself.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There is something to being 66 and able to bench more than the 30-40 something guy at the next station who outweighs you by 20-30 lbs.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have to say I secretly enjoy the glances I get from the big, beefy guys in the gym when my trainer has me bench pressing 95 pounds for example, or really doing anything with heavy weight. I feel strong and awesome and my body shape has totally changed. I started lifting two years ago when I was 42 and I have only lost 20 pounds in those two years, but I haven't really modified my diet much. And at this weight, I look so much smaller than I did when I was at the same weight and had not been lifting weights.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I like it because of quick results, two-fold.

First, changes to my body are happening rather quickly. I ran diligently for seven years with no change to my body shape. I have been lifting for fewer than 2 months, and twice now I've reached to scratch a part of my body (tricep and thigh if you care), expecting the usual soft pudginess, and was surprised to find firm smooth muscle there instead.

Second, I am making progress in the amount I lift all the time. It never fails to amaze me when I look at my log and see that the weight I struggled with in week one, I have doubled six weeks later. That is pretty empowering!