Less Alcohol ~ AUGUST 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Today is day 10 of the month. AF every other day.

AF: days 1,3,5,7,9
    A: days 2,4,6,8

My husband decided to go AF yesterday and didn't tell me until today. Good for him.

My strategy for:

1.Having company over: Easy. I flat out tell them I am not drinking, so if they want to drink anything special, just bring it. This worked last weekend. I just had seltzer, juices, and lime. It worked and everyone just focused on good food.

2.Vacationing: Hard. I'm improving but not there yet. I am AF day 1 and thereafter the "rules" are no drinks with lunch and if I do, then no drinks with dinner. My husband loves try out ALL the local beers in every town so off to the liquor store we go, especially on bad weather days. I managed by buying max of 2 single-serving size "mini" bottles of wine or fizzy spritzers. It's irritating because the selection is limited and the taste is hit or miss. I would love to try out all the "good" wines I can't get at home, but they come in regular 5-serving size bottles and if I love it, I will drink it up. So I don't buy it.

3.Visiting relatives or worse-vacationing with relatives who drink too much. I need help here.This is when the drinks are in your face 24X7, what to do? I try to not stay overnight in their home because they will stay up late drinking and I will follow along, so I get a place nearby and politely excuse myself to go to my rental because I get to bed early so I can exercise the morning. But the rest of the time with them, it's difficult when they want you to try out all the goodies they have in their liquor cabinet or when they buy fancy wine for the table and have the waiter pour it for you (meanwhile nobody asked me if I wanted it)! Then the after-dinner "digestif" alcohol shows up in shot glasses and the pressure of "you have to try this" takes place.

• lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    @globalhiker I have to say your plan looks almost solid and now just need to work out those fine details of...yep you are in a restaurant and the booze is flowing for the opportunity to sip. This has happened to me. I just politely say no thank you and if push comes to shove I will say let me take a small sip of yours for a taste. Then I find a straw and take just a bit and put it on my tongue. It satisfies those that push and keeps me 'af' I won't count that little tongue taste and leave it at that.

Today was taco wednesday. I am always a day late LOL

We are planning a weekend away, one really needed given what is going on. My brother will be on stand by for my mom and I am not looking back. We are leaving Friday afternoon and drive aprox 3 hours to our first destination. Then Saturday we are driving to the Dalles (OR) and going ot a museum with oregon trail info. So I am excited.

Oh I have a special request from all my AF/A buddies here. My daughter tagged me in a facebook post for a young man who participates in 4-H in her county in Arkansas. He is asking for a postcard from each state to complete a project before he graduates high school this year. I know many of your are scattered across the US, Canada and beyond. Would any of you be willing to mail a postcard to him?
    I can provide the contact info and PO Box, please just message me if would like to help. It seems he stated collecting when he was 'younger' ( ok yeah I am old). Most of the states are upper east coast, upper midwest and west coast. I have WA, and most likely OR covered. I have a friend doing NE on their drive to our state of WA. But any and all would be appreciated.

xx
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    @globalhiker Wow. Your relatives sound like my relatives but my relatives push food and guns. That is tricky to navigate. It sounds like you are doing the best you can and I too would exit the situation.

@lmlmrn Go, go on your long weekend and be happy!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Aug 1- AF
    Aug 2 - A
    Aug 3- AF
    Aug 4- A
    Aug 5 - AF
    Aug 6 - 7- A
    Aug 8 - 9 - AF
    Aug 10 - A
  • ducky133
    ducky133 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @joans1976 so sorry to hear the vacation is cancelled but glad you are still taking time off! Sometimes a staycation can be super relaxing.
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hey Team! July was my first full month and was a great win for me.

Goal: No more than 3A days weekly (16 - 19 AF days monthly); Max 7 drinks weekly

8/8 M - Drinks (1) - Plan was AF
    8/9 Tu - AF
    8/10 W - Drinks (2) - Plan was AF

Rolling Total: 4 AF out of 10 days
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @scleveland7594 Welcome to the group. Everyone's goals are different, and mine are a lot like yours. Wishing you the best with tracking, walking and de-stressing.

@joans1976 Bummer about the vacation. I understand the disappointment. But brilliant thinking to let work colleagues know you can't be reached anyway. Hope the staycation and lovely pool hit the spot.

And thanks to all for the wise words about aging parents. So much truth in what each one of you wrote. I value your encouragement and understanding.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Aug 1- AF
    Aug 2 - A
    Aug 3- AF
    Aug 4- A
    Aug 5 - AF
    Aug 6 - 7- A
    Aug 8 - 9 - AF
    Aug 10-11 - A
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »
    gno6wrhxzn9x.jpg
    Here's the lovely pool....its been in my life for 22 years. Sadly, the closing date on the house is 9/5. Im trying to soak up every minute of it!

PARTY at @joans1976 pool! Enjoy.