Autoimmune disease/ -30 lbs down / body image issues

RcknDisturbed1
RcknDisturbed1 Posts: 16 Member
edited August 2022 in Motivation and Support
j2zuuyv3bw3l.jpg

All the drugs I'm on has made it difficult to lose weight. The joint pain from RA has made it real difficult to keep working out sometimes. But I’ve lost 30 lbs in 3.5 months so far (BMI dropped from 32 to 26) and still not happy with the way I look. Beginning to think I have body image issues and I will have problems accepting my body no matter what.

Recently re-discovered after some discussion with my parent that my childhood friends used to tease me about my weight as a gradeschool kid. Just one example, my "best friend" apparently used to call me Santa Claus in reference to me being fat. She was very, very skinny and I was curvy. I could never fit into the same clothes (read: size and style, which I remember being very distressing to me) that my friends did. Looking back at photos now, I was a normal sized kid. I specifically remember during certain photos being taken that I felt severely obese, and I look at those now and I just see a regular girl. This continued as I got older, also. Starting to wonder if my body image issues aren't rooted by these experiences as a kid, which apparently, I have blocked out a lot of.

Wondering what it will take for me to be happy with my body, or if that will ever happen...

Replies

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    You should be super-proud. You're coming into your own. All of that past is setting you UP for this path. It takes time and capacity to discharge all of that old social overload. Formative years can be a rodeo.

I hope you have good friends who are physically able to reach out and connect with you now. Have you thought about a coach. There are some good ones out there. They can help you adjust duration and structure of a program to make it work for you. I wish you the best in health.
  • sarakikwee
    sarakikwee Posts: 1 Member
    I have similar experiences and RA (among other AI and genetic diseases) and I’ve got about 35-40 lbs to lose. My joints are killing me with this extra weight and I know my flares were less painful when I weighed less so that’s my motive! (Plus feeling more confident in the mirror doesn’t hurt)
    We got this!