September 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Question for the month...
    What exercises or stretches do you do specifically to help your running?
    Do you do them because of a previous injury or to maybe prevent an injury?

I do pretty basic warm-up exercises like toe and heel walks, big dynamic skips, walking front kicks (I’ve heard some call them soldiers) and some leg swings to arm up my hips. After I run I stretch the big stuff: quads, calves, hamstrings, IT band, glutes. I foam roll some but not as much as I used to. I haven’t had any real injuries but found that a dynamic warmu-up, even one as short as mine, makes my legs feel more prepared to start running and the stretching afterwards feels good.
  • martaindale
    Options
    @scott6255 16 miles in those conditions is tough! Your fall glow-up is going to be great!

@marisap2010 I love that shirt!! I would wear the crap out of it on long runs!

@polskagirl01 I’m glad to see you enjoying running again even if your fitness isn’t where you want it to be. It will come, but in the meantime, it’s good to see you having fun.

• rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Seriously. Like if I can smell conditioner from down the hall outside the bathroom while you're showering, you're using too much!

It's so funny how this place is so different and yet reminds me so much of the small town I'm from in Pennsylvania.

1. Now I know what to yell when teenage son is showering!
    2. Any chance you're from NE PA? I used to live in West Pittston and did some consulting work at the Polish National Union in Scranton! Also, nice job on the race!
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    Angry/'in a bad mood' Run. So a bit pacier than I woulda liked. duybh1rzqx4z.png
    Got 7 in.
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Hope everyone's doing good
    Got in 5!
    3evi3jltvj5s.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber. I remembered your shoulder issues. I hope PT will take care of things, but the PA was saying that surgery could be an option for even a smaller tear with good results before it gets worse. I'm curious what the PT and the ortho doc will say. Now that I'm more aware of trying not to irritate it, I feel like it's not hurting so much already, but like you I don't want to lose range of motion.

Let's see, I ran 3.5 or so on Sunday, and just 1.5 yesterday, probably none today. I'm finding not filling in my spreadsheet to be freeing right now so my numbers and times are out there, but I don't track them or worry about them right now.

I am away for work the rest of this week so I will pack some running clothes but not sure what I'll have time to do.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    @martaindale nice job on the speed work. I also did a treadmill speed workout today. 6x0.5 mi with WU/CD. The speed sessions actually felt easier as they went .

exercise.png
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Today's 5.
    pfnhg0agc0ty.png
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Good morning/evening! Busy with work and life but I finally found some time to catch up here and gave lots of likes, hugs and inspirings because you all do inspire me! Each and every single one of you! Since last check-in, I hiked almost 15 miles on the AT on Saturday - It was a beautiful day to be in the woods; Rest day on Sunday; 5.15 miles on Monday; strength training on Tuesday; and 5.21 miles this morning.

Question of the month: I really, really suck at stretching. Usually absolutely none before my run unless I'm the first one to the parking lot and have a couple of minutes before the others show up. Afterwards I do take a couple of minutes for general stretching. I usually only foam roll when something is tight, achy, or sore.
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    Good morning all 😊
    Got in 5 this morning
    y1a5742xs6lz.png
  • martaindale
    Options
    Sept total: 80.7/123 miles

9/1: 4 miles
    9/2: 5 miles
    9/4: 4.2 miles
    9/5: 5 miles
    9/6: 5.2 miles
    9/7: 3.2 miles
    9/8: 3 miles
    9/9: 5.2 miles
    9/12: 5 miles
    9/14: 4.8 miles
    9/15: 5 miles
    9/16: 3 miles
    9/17: 6.1 miles
    9/18: 3.8 miles
    9/19: 7.6 miles
    9/21: 6.5 miles
    9/22: 4.1 miles

Recovery miles on the trail. Something super cool happened this morning! As I was running down the trail, a big owl flew across the path about 6 ft in front of my face! I have never seen an owl that close in the wild. It even had its head turned like it was watching me as it swooped by. My trail friend was just ahead and when we met he asked if that was an owl and said it looked like it was about to attack me from his angle! 😄😄
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    September Goal: 100 Miles

9/1: 6.02 miles
    9/2: 2.11 miles
    9/4: 10.02 miles
    9/6: 5.31 miles
    9/7: 5.33 miles
    9/8: 5.41 miles
    9/11: 11.02 miles
    9/12: 2.02 miles
    9/13: 5.51 miles
    9/14: 5.52 miles
    9/16: 5.51 miles
    9/17: 2.03 miles
    9/19: 5.51 miles
    9/20: 5.54 miles
    9/21: 6.02 miles

82.88/100 miles completed for September

I didn't get a chance to update this weekend. We went to visit our son and his girlfriend in Denton. I ran 2 miles on Saturday before we left. It was hot. There was a dog a couple of blocks from my house who was out of his fence. I skipped my long run on Sunday, but I did walk a mile at the park when we got home for my mile a day streak. It was 97°F but I knew if I waited until later I wouldn't want to get out.

While it was fun to see our son, it was kind of a disappointing trip. We planned to go to a shooting range in Lewisville which is about 20 miles from my son. We got there and paid for our lane rental and the power went out so we didn't get to shoot. They still didn't have the ventilation system up the next day, so we will have to go back another time. They did say they will honor our receipt for the lane rental and they gave us each 2 free lane rentals. But it is 2 hours away from us so we aren't sure when we will get to go back.

Monday morning I ran 5.5 miles. It wasn't a bad run. The dog down the street was still out. He barked at me and ran towards me, but he stayed in his yard. I understand that sometimes dogs get out, but I don't think these people are good dog people. I have seen them outside before and they never seem to interact with their dogs.

Tuesdsy morning I ran 5.5 miles again. It was hot again. It seemed like we were going to get some cooler weather, but summer just keeps hanging on. I didn't see the neighbor's dog on my way out, but he was there on my way back.

Yesterday I ran 6 miles. It was an uneventful run, but nice. I decided to take today as a rest day and run tomorrow instead. I had to go in for a mammogram today and also get blood work (just part of my yearly well woman exam). But since I needed to be fasting for the blood work and I had run on Monday it seemed like Thursday would be a better rest day than Friday. So I just walked one mile today for the streak and plan to run in the morning.

exercise.png