Less Alcohol ~ OCTOBER 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Sept accountability: 1 days AF
    Alcohol: 1 days (2 drinks)
    Goal: Limit 1-2 glasses per day; 12-16 AF days per month. Aim to drink no more than 2 nights in a row.

10/1 - 2 wine; Girls Trip with mom & my sister to one of mom’s friend’s 90th birthday
    10/2 - AF @ home
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Apologies to all who aren't interested in this topic. This is the kernel of the article linked above that stayed with me:
    Koob, with more than forty years studying alcohol abuse, began by trying to understand the “molecular cascade” of dopamine-triggering signals that alcohol sets off in the brain.
    Back then, his assumption was that people drank to feel good. But, through the decades, he has come to realize that a lot of drinkers, especially people who have been exceeding recommended limits for years, are really attempting to ward off feelings of anxiety, depression, and tension—which can be the beginnings of alcohol withdrawal—by taking the next drink.
    “I spent half of my career trying to understand how we feel good, and now I tell people I spent the last part trying to understand why people feel bad. There’s a ‘feeling bad’ part that is often underestimated when it comes to relapses.”
  • Lilylady3k
    Options
    @MissMay - Have you considered looking for a home in Latitude Margaritaville? It is a 55 and older community with houses like you describe.

@ahoy_m8 - I ran across the same article. Interesting. We are not alone!
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    @MissMay Im sorry I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday on the right day but I’m glad you had a good day! I’ve been thinking about you with hearing everything on the news and am glad you are safe.

@ahoy_m8 Welcome back! That picture you posted was lovely, if I could paint I would paint it and hang it in my living room.
    You’ve touched a nerve with me on your article, I come from a long line of self medicaters (sp) who suffer from anxiety and depression.
    I’m sorry to hear about your stepmom, as if leaving for vacation isn’t stressful enough! You made it though!

@forestdweller1 Happy belated to you as well! 💐
  • Lilylady3k
    Options
    October accountability: 1 days AF
    Alcohol: 2 days (4 drinks)
    Goal: Limit 1-2 glasses per day; 12-16 AF days per month. Aim to drink no more than 2 nights in a row.

10/1 - 2 wine; Girls Trip with mom & my sister to one of mom’s friend’s 90th birthday
    10/2 - AF @ home

10/3 - 2 wine; last of the Joseph Drouhin Rully Wine
    10/4 - Plan AF
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    10/1- A
    10/2-10/3-10/4- AF
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    @ahoy_m8 really interesting article! I’m glad non-alcoholic beer and liquor have come such a long way, even though I don’t reach for them. Gives people some good options. Alas, non-alcoholic wine may never be a successful development. “Like ripping the backbone out of the product”. Yep.

I also thought it was interesting how the feel of the glass, the ritual of opening the bottle, the setting in a cozy bar, are so important to the experience. I don’t enjoy my club soda/cranberry nearly as much if it isn’t in either a martini or a wine glass!

Speaking of which, just had one of those, which makes me AF tonight!

• Lilylady3k
    Options
    DH bought a dozen bottles of nice wine and opened one this evening. But I skipped tonight! I'll plan wine for tomorrow's steak night (Wed).

October accountability: 2 days AF
    Alcohol: 2 days (4 drinks)

10/2 - AF @ home

10/3 - 2 wine; last of the Joseph Drouhin Rully Wine
    10/4 - AF
    10/5 - Plan wine for steak night
    10/6 - Plan AF
    10/7 - Plan drinks with friends